PDA

View Full Version : Does this bother anyone else??

venis2k1
10-27-2007, 10:12 AM
Aaron Schobel got a brand new $50.5 million contract this offseason,

Chris Kelsay got a brand new $23 million deal.

they have combined for 2.5 sacks through six games this year.

Larry Tripplett and his $18 million deal has yet to register a sack.

Its very important in this defense that we can generate pressure with 4 down lineman, Its becoming painfully obvious that we cant.

Mr. Pink
10-27-2007, 10:15 AM
What is more painful obvious here is the guys we have simply aren't good enough and our hands are now tied to them with big money involved. We can't go out and replace these guys because of the financial aspect, so we're stuck for a few years with Tripps and Kelsay. Thankfully Schoebel at times can generate a pass rush, even if it's against weaker teams mostly, or else all three of these guys would be worthless.

Yasgur's Farm
10-27-2007, 10:20 AM
We should be starting Hargrove, McCargo, Williams and Schobel... I'm not pleased with Schobel's play at all. I think the weight loss has hurt his play (although that probably allowed him to defend that potential TD pass last week).

Elminster
10-27-2007, 11:47 AM
I feel our FA is very lacking myself, which sucks so much more when it seems we've been drafting so well. I'd be interested to know what the division of power for FA is. I know Jon Guy is involved, but how much say does he have in who we go after?

camelcowboy
10-27-2007, 11:55 AM
It doesn't bother me, because i think that they both have played good this season. They are pressuring the qb, and making plays Its one position on the team im not too upset with. Sacks are the most overated stats in sports.

YardRat
10-27-2007, 11:58 AM
We've spent an awful lot of money on both lines this year. Hopefully after the half-season mark both will start paying bigger dividends.

HHURRICANE
10-27-2007, 12:20 PM
Weeks ago I got groaned and negged for saying that "Schobel sucks."

You guys are finally figuring it out after 6 weeks.

We need to think about drafting some DEs because Kelsay and Schobel are not franchise guys.

I can actually live with the play of Tripplett and Kelsay but Schobel is not playing like a dominant pass rusher. Every DE knows that you get paid for sacks. How many does Schobel have?

PECKERWOOD
10-27-2007, 12:29 PM
Looking back, I think Kelsay got a fair contract, with the cap increase 23 mil is about right. Plus, that beastly interception against Dallas on MNF was AMAAAAZING! As far as Schobel goes, I wouldn't worry about his stats. I can see him atleast getting a sack against New England, seeing as how Tom Brady has been sacked more by Schobel than any other player in the NFL.

TacklingDummy
10-27-2007, 12:50 PM

Ralph is cheap. He is worried about paying a $3 million dollar bonus for not performing.

Tatonka
10-27-2007, 01:00 PM
It doesn't bother me, because i think that they both have played good this season. They are pressuring the qb, and making plays Its one position on the team im not too upset with. Sacks are the most overated stats in sports.

i agree.. especially kelsay.. i think he has played very well, along with mccargo.

jamze132
10-27-2007, 01:46 PM
If Tripplett was worth a crap, Schobel wouldn't be doubled up most of the time.

PECKERWOOD
10-27-2007, 01:50 PM
Ralph is cheap. He is worried about paying a $3 million dollar bonus for not performing.

Ralph ain't cheap. He sprinkles diamonds on everything he eat so his dookie shines. That's the most baaaaalling thing you can do to your ****.

justasportsfan
10-27-2007, 02:29 PM
I agree. I don't care about the no. of sacks at the pace their going as long as the entire D plays the way it has the last 3 games as a whole. Except for the last part of the cowboys game, this D has been playing almost lights out.

billsburgh
10-27-2007, 02:52 PM
While it may appear that the ends aren't living up to expectations, and it may be true to some extent, it may also may have to do more with the defensive scheme. I pointed out a few times this season how on some plays one or both DE dont rush the passer on passing plays. they merely engage the O lineman and stop. the only explanation for this would be the play called by Fewell and this makes absolutely no sense to me.

Typ0
10-27-2007, 02:54 PM
I'm not worried about these guys they are good players. We need to be accross the whole defense for them to shine and we aren't.

RedEyE
10-27-2007, 03:50 PM
I've watched this defense over the past couple of weeks and the amount of pressure they have put on each opposing QB has been extremely significant. While they might not have gotten any recorded sacks they do deserve credit for applying the pressure needed to keep this team in games and have even provided them with enough plays to win games.

The sack is a nice statistic, but it's more important that the defense is making their presence felt on every play on the field. The sacks will come.

HHURRICANE
10-27-2007, 05:37 PM
I've watched this defense over the past couple of weeks and the amount of pressure they have put on each opposing QB has been extremely significant. While they might not have gotten any recorded sacks they do deserve credit for applying the pressure needed to keep this team in games and have even provided them with enough plays to win games.

The sack is a nice statistic, but it's more important that the defense is making their presence felt on every play on the field. The sacks will come.

You can thank Hargrove for the added pressure. He's been the difference out there.

BillsOverDolphins
10-27-2007, 07:59 PM
i miss the days when we had big pat and teddy in the middle

OpIv37
10-27-2007, 08:06 PM

Its very important in this defense that we can generate pressure with 4 down lineman, Its becoming painfully obvious that we cant.

we have a ton of money tied up in a bunch of useless DE's and triplett was a huge mistake.

Nighthawk
10-27-2007, 08:37 PM
What is upsetting is that this organization thinks that we're all set at that position and won't upgrade it via FA or draft. That is the scariest thing.

BillsFever21
10-28-2007, 01:58 AM
Weeks ago I got groaned and negged for saying that "Schobel sucks."

How many does Schobel have?

62 in 6.5 years and 47 in the last 4.5 years, which is about Top 5 in the NFL over that span.

Dwight Freeney only had 5.5 sacks last year. Michael Strahan had many years with only 5 or 6 sacks too. Not saying Schobel is Strahan but he has still been pretty damn good for us.

Many of Schobel's sacks were also while playing with a pathetic DL around him, which still isn't very good to begin with. Less weapons around you the more attention you will receive. Same with the WR's. The less talent you have around you the more attention the #1 WR will see.

Also like somebody else said above me, sacks can be overrated at times. There are times when you can be getting good pressure but not end up with sacks and in return will force the play to die from throwing the ball sooner then needed. Also many times somebody else can get the sack that you caused by flushing the QB out of the pocket which I have seen a few times this year from Schobel.

Anybody can come out of nowhere in any given season and have a ton of sacks. Anybody can also have a small amount of sacks in any given season. It's over the 6 year span like Schobel is where you judge a good sack artist and he has produced over them years.

SABURZFAN
10-28-2007, 02:40 AM

blame it on Trent Edwards.with the offense spending more time on the field,the numbers for individual players on defense will go down.

djjimkelly
10-28-2007, 05:12 AM

i think jauron and levy think its losmans fault

PECKERWOOD
10-29-2007, 11:08 AM
2 forced fumbles and a sack for Schobel yesterday.

RedEyE
10-29-2007, 03:36 PM
Good pressure game yesterday that turned up a couple of sacks. This defense is progressing.

PECKERWOOD
10-29-2007, 03:39 PM
I like Schobel/Kelsay. They both get alot of criticism that is undeserving at times. :idunno:

justasportsfan
10-29-2007, 03:41 PM
I like Schobel/Kelsay. They both get alot of criticism that is undeserving at times. :idunno:
their struggles were due to the DT's. Now that McCargo and Kyle are starting to play better, so are our DE's.

PECKERWOOD
10-29-2007, 03:54 PM
their struggles were due to the DT's. Now that McCargo and Kyle are starting to play better, so are our DE's.

So true. McCargo batted down a nice pass by Pennington and Williams was just a bear out there! I told my dad that Pennington's best chance was to play dead when Williams was running after him!

John Doe
10-29-2007, 04:39 PM
On one of the NFL shows yesterday Jimmy Johnson said that the hardest things to find talent-wise are pass rushers and cover corners.

Schobel certainly has the stats to prove he can pass rush.

Kelsay does not have the stats, but he does bring some pressure as well. When you get rid of a guy like that you are trusting the unknown quantity that you are replacing him with.

With very few exceptions, free agents get what appears to be more than their market value. Marv's theory is that you win with continuity, and signing Kelsay was a must consdering that he is still a young player. Plus, he is a leader on the practice field.