PDA

View Full Version : Maybe It's Time For Mouse McNally

Jan Reimers
10-29-2007, 05:15 AM
Despite the total rebuilding of our O line over the last 2 seasons, their play is pathetic. Our pass blocking is ordinary at best, and our run blocking is as bad as I have ever seen.

Ebenezer
10-29-2007, 05:19 AM
Despite the total rebuilding of our O line over the last 2 seasons, their play is pathetic. Our pass blocking is ordinary at best, and our run blocking is as bad as I have ever seen.
I am starting to agree...he has been the one constant for years and a line that is not getting better.

Night Train
10-29-2007, 05:25 AM
The only time I noticed success is when Lynch ran right up the backside of Dockery while he was going forward.

But Edwards did hold the ball far too long. He didn't wise up to the corner blitz until he was hit a dozen times. Not sensing or seeing a blitz means a short shelf life in the NFL.

Plus you can't pull a Bledsoe cement shoes back there. Step up or roll out, for the love of God.

Michael82
10-29-2007, 05:29 AM
Finally someone is putting the blame where it should be. The OL coach has done nothing and he has had so many different lines to work with. Then they open the vault for these guys and he continues to suck. I wonder if it's the scheme. Either way, I hate the OL.

YardRat
10-29-2007, 05:35 AM
I still think, given time, this line will gel.

Jan Reimers
10-29-2007, 05:59 AM
I still think, given time, this line will gel.
The trouble is, none of McNally's lines have gelled since he's been here.

I'm beginning to think his reputation far exceeds his actual coaching ability.

casdhf
10-29-2007, 06:44 AM
How many times has he had the same OL for more than a season? Look at the top OLs in the league. They've all played together for more than 2 or 3 seasons.

The Jets multiple blitzers most the day. Edwards simply failed to pick it up. Luckily, he did have the pocket presence to get rid of the ball, but he took alot of shots.

alohabillsfan
10-29-2007, 07:02 AM
Funny that you mention this as I last night and this morning was thinking the same thing! Maybe the game (with new schemes) has passed him bye! If no improvement by seasons end then DJ has to look for a replacement!

colin
10-29-2007, 07:28 AM
our line isn't consistent at all, that's a fact.

one thing that is getting overlooked with all the qb noise and worship for marshawn is he and our other rook RB miss holes.

i saw marshawn miss 2 and the kid from fresno miss 1. the holes they missed were big obvious holes. one marshawn bounced outside after making a juke in the back field when all he had to do was slam up into the hole.

i like both of our rbs, but they are raw and young.

they are also pretty bad at picking up the blitz. now all of this is to be expected with rooks, but if you compare our line to the jests we played better but the jets have vets making plays and we have rooks.

just before jp came in after trent got hurt i realized that in 100% of our plays the ball is in the hands of a rookie, and in 100% of our plays where we are blitzed we need 2 rookies (rb and qb) to both pick up the blitz, make a read for a throw or a block, and do so very efficiently.

taking this on board i think the bills mngmnt wanted a more efficient qb than jp since some point in the preseason but were affraid of having a 100% rook backfield.

i also see the logic in keeping anthony thomas -- he really is the only rb we have with an idea of what to do during a blitz.

Ebenezer
10-29-2007, 05:37 PM
The trouble is, none of McNally's lines have gelled since he's been here.

I'm beginning to think his reputation far exceeds his actual coaching ability.
I have a brother-in-law that is a huge Giants fan and he warned me when McNally was hired. Good coach but he got extremely lucky on a few schleps and turned them into all-stars...a lot went to his head and he decided he needed more power in NY and could turn chicken feathers into a feast...still appears to be that way here too.

RoanokeVABillsFan
10-29-2007, 07:37 PM
I've thought for a while that McNally wasn't doing the job. We kept drafting and bringing in players that he obviously had input on and the line wasn't getting any better. Then Peters started looking like the next great tackle last year and he was obviously taught how to play by McNally, so I started to think maybe it was just a talent thing again. Now, we spent all this money and the line doesn't open enough holes for the running game and I think Peters is still playing well but his learning curve has really slowed down.

I think they are better at pass blocking than we've been for a while. We are still weak in the run game blocking and I'm not sure if they're going to gel or not. If they do, we can draft a better center (or try free agency again) and if Brad Butler gets better with experience, then we're all set. If they don't gel, McNally needs to be replaced.

billsburgh
10-29-2007, 08:22 PM
coming in he had a reputation of turning no names into over achievers. he's struck out so far in Buffalo. even with the improvements this off season, there is no marked improvement. Marshawn faces the same thing McGahee faced all the time, defenders meeting him in the backfield nearly every play.

Oaf
10-30-2007, 12:26 AM
"I still think, given time, this line will gel."
- 2001-Present

:ill: