PDA

View Full Version : Who Trent Edwards reminds me of

patmoran2006
10-29-2007, 05:31 PM
I was talking with a family friend yesterday, so I cant say I came up with the comparison myself. But after digesting it for a bit, I came to the conclusion that I agree.

I don't know why, it's actually kinda stupid, but we always like to compare our guys to other guys. With Lynch you hear Stephen Jackson a lot, or maybe Lee EVans to Reggie Wayne.

With Trent Edwards, a good comparison IMO is to a younger Phil Simms. Simms had a good arm but not among the league's best. HE sure as hell wasn't all that mobile. In fact, he had rock feet. I see some of that in Edwards already.

But Simms has some tremendous assets and I think I see at least glimpses of it in Edwards. Simms had a really quick release. He was ridiculously accurate (anyone remember their Super bowl win). He was poised as hell and most importantly, he was a tremendous THINKER behind center. I think that these are all traits Edwards has shown glimpses of and with some devlopment and a couple of better weapons around him we'll see a lot more of.

He'll never be confused with a great HOF QB, but I'll take a Phil Simms for the next decade any day of the week. AT least with a QB like that, though boring at times, he's going to force you 9 times out of 10 to beat you, and won't beat himself.

shelby
10-29-2007, 05:35 PM
Edwards has potential. i'm not prepared to compare him to anyone yet, because i haven't seen enough of him. It will be interesting watching him develop.

Mitchy moo
10-29-2007, 05:39 PM
Pat, you may not be too far off. The potential is there and if the surrounding cast is strong enough, we'll have a winning team. Right now we are having trouble scoring which means that we have to find a better formula that works each and every week for us to score. The Defense has gotten noticably better and the offense which was supposed to be our strength has been lacking at best. Our special teams though mediocre yesterday is great, we expect more from them week in and week out.

im4bflo
10-29-2007, 06:19 PM
Grossman from the Bears.

TacklingDummy
10-29-2007, 06:22 PM
Simms will be nice comparison if Trent does improve.

Right now Trent reminds me of a slightly better version of Todd Collins.

Crisis
10-29-2007, 06:40 PM
JP reminds me a lot of Kyle Boller.

All the physical tools but just doesn't get it.

The last buffalo fan
10-29-2007, 06:41 PM
Ravens' Trent Dilfer

gr8slayer
10-29-2007, 06:50 PM
JP reminds me a lot of Kyle Boller.

All the physical tools but just doesn't get it.
Edwards reminds me of Pennington, gets it but doesn't have the physical tools.

Jaybird
10-29-2007, 06:51 PM
if he's lime simms i dont want him

jpdex12
10-29-2007, 09:46 PM
I got ripped for trynig to compare TE with another QB...good luck Pat and don't forget to put your hard hat on.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
10-29-2007, 09:51 PM
everyone was comparing JP with a young Farve for a while and look how that turned out :(

TigerJ
10-29-2007, 09:56 PM
I was talking with a family friend yesterday, so I cant say I came up with the comparison myself. But after digesting it for a bit, I came to the conclusion that I agree.

I don't know why, it's actually kinda stupid, but we always like to compare our guys to other guys. With Lynch you hear Stephen Jackson a lot, or maybe Lee EVans to Reggie Wayne.

With Trent Edwards, a good comparison IMO is to a younger Phil Simms. Simms had a good arm but not among the league's best. HE sure as hell wasn't all that mobile. In fact, he had rock feet. I see some of that in Edwards already.

But Simms has some tremendous assets and I think I see at least glimpses of it in Edwards. Simms had a really quick release. He was ridiculously accurate (anyone remember their Super bowl win). He was poised as hell and most importantly, he was a tremendous THINKER behind center. I think that these are all traits Edwards has shown glimpses of and with some devlopment and a couple of better weapons around him we'll see a lot more of.

He'll never be confused with a great HOF QB, but I'll take a Phil Simms for the next decade any day of the week. AT least with a QB like that, though boring at times, he's going to force you 9 times out of 10 to beat you, and won't beat himself. The national media types have been lining up for either Losman or Edwards. Ironically, Phil Simms is one of the minority who is dissing Edwards and touting Losman as the better choice for the Bills.

Crisis
10-29-2007, 10:18 PM
Edwards reminds me of Pennington, gets it but doesn't have the physical tools.

I've never seen Pennington throw 50 yards in the air.

Tatonka
10-29-2007, 10:25 PM
I've never seen Pennington throw 50 yards in the air.

edwards has never thrown a good pass that far either.

bills_7
10-29-2007, 11:01 PM
Grossman from the Bears.

lol

JD
10-29-2007, 11:21 PM
Far too early on to start making comparisons IMO. Go Trent Go!

JD
10-29-2007, 11:24 PM
edwards has never thrown a good pass that far either.
..How far was the pass to Evans in the endzone? Where Evans basically let the defender take the ball away.. The pass down the middle to evans wasnt too shabby. Give it time, coaches are nervous with a rookie throwing the bomb. Remember, Jauron is a complete pussie

Oaf
10-30-2007, 12:14 AM
Will he be a suck ass commentator post-career too? :snicker:

patmoran2006
10-30-2007, 05:12 PM
Alright.. I used bad terminlogy.

I shouldn't have said a comparison.. I should've said that he the POTENTIAL to be a Phil Simms-like quarterback.

Let me say this though.. For all of you who are saying he's a chad pennington with a chicken arm. You are out of your mind. He hasn't launched many yet, but let me ASSURE you that arm strength is NOT a weakness for Edwards. His arm is more than strong enough to make tough and long throws. Losman does have a slightly better arm, and Im NOT going to get into comparing these two yet again, but Edwards arm is strong enough to be good in this league.

Carlton Bailey
10-30-2007, 05:16 PM
Exactly, Pat. <layer id="google-toolbar-hilite-0" style="background-color: Yellow; color: black;">JP</layer> didn't exactly throw downfield in his first four starts.

In fact, here's both their yardage totals in their initial four NFL starts.

<layer id="google-toolbar-hilite-6" style="background-color: Cyan; color: black;">Losman, 2005</layer>: 443 (170-113-75-75).

Edwards, 2007: 683 (234-176-153-130).

I'm not bashing Losman by any means, just pointing out that he didn't exactly throw downfield either. It obviously didn't mean he had a bad arm; it's just that rookies helm conservative offenses because coaches don't have enough trust in them to open it up.

PECKERWOOD
10-30-2007, 05:19 PM
You're comparing him to Phil Simms? Not even close. Trent needs to earn these types of comparisons. So far I see a rookie who has thrown 1 TD and 5 INT's. While he has been accurate and has show signs and I do like the guy, our offense has been anything but stellar.

patmoran2006
10-30-2007, 05:21 PM
You're comparing him to Phil Simms? Not even close. Trent needs to earn these types of comparisons. So far I see a rookie who has thrown 1 TD and 5 INT's. While he has been accurate and has show signs and I do like the guy, our offense has been anything but stellar.
yer right, and I just said that a comparison was bad terminology.

I should've said "potentially" he's another Phil Simms

PECKERWOOD
10-30-2007, 05:23 PM
yer right, and I just said that a comparison was bad terminology.

I should've said "potentially" he's another Phil Simms

Joe Shmoe could potentially be the next Phil Simms as well. Alot of you guys are falling into the same trap that I did. I remember comparing Losman to the likes of Brett Favre, I'm just trying to save you and others embarrassment.

patmoran2006
10-30-2007, 05:27 PM
I dont have anything to be embarassed about.

Given the situation Edwards has had to come into (rookie, an overall mediocre WR corp, mediocre TE's and an overated OL to to mention horrible OC and Head coach) I think he's played phenominal for having been thrown into the fire so quickly

gr8slayer
10-30-2007, 05:31 PM

Given the situation Edwards has had to come into (rookie, an overall mediocre WR corp, mediocre TE's and an overated OL to to mention horrible OC and Head coach) I think he's played phenominal for having been thrown into the fire so quickly
If you think that zero TD's in four strait games is phenomenal I would hate to see what you think bad is.

PECKERWOOD
10-30-2007, 05:34 PM

He has done OK for a rookie - A rookie that is. If he were even a 2nd year QB with the production that he's had, I'd say that his play has been abysmal thus far. At this point, I'm still unsure of what we got with Trent Edwards.

patmoran2006
10-30-2007, 05:37 PM
If you think that zero TD's in four strait games is phenomenal I would hate to see what you think bad is.
And if you think that should fall MAINLY on his shoulders before an offensive coordinator that shuts it down in the red zone, I'd love to sell you a car.

How many passes has Edwards even THROWN into the end zone?

gr8slayer
10-30-2007, 05:40 PM
And if you think that should fall MAINLY on his shoulders before an offensive coordinator that shuts it down in the red zone, I'd love to sell you a car.

How many passes has Edwards even THROWN into the end zone?
But some how it should fall on the shoulders of Losman when the play-calling is clearly not there (not you so much but the "other guys.")

John Doe
10-30-2007, 05:49 PM
Edwards really does not remind me of anyone after a handful of pre-season and regular season games.

He has a quick release, but it looks a lot different than Marino or Namath.

He does not appear to be a great runner, but he is certainly not Drew Bled-slow and his footwork already looks plenty good. Any comparison to someone like Trent Dilfer in that regard seems far off-base.

Maybe this guy has his own style.

He has made some mistakes and has not produced many touchdowns, but he has show the ability to create sustained drives - rare for a rook.

I think that he has some serious upside.

patmoran2006
10-30-2007, 05:55 PM
But some how it should fall on the shoulders of Losman when the play-calling is clearly not there (not you so much but the "other guys.")
If you want me to be honest I'm not sure Peyton Manning could be a great QB on this team right now with a total bum at offensive coordinator and an overated OL (and they ARE overated right now)

patmoran2006
10-30-2007, 05:57 PM
Just so I'm clear.

Is Edwards to blame for a lack of touchdowns?

I think it falls FAR further on Fairchild and our OL missing a lot of blocks.

By the way, SAMe thing with Losman. I dont think either QB is going to do much until in terms of TD's until Fairchild is dealt with.

patmoran2006
10-30-2007, 06:02 PM
Were the majority of you guys this rough on JP Losman after his first four starts?

Jeez, the kid (Edwards) is just learning the NFL game, and he's went 3-1 so far while doing so. How bad could he be playing?