PDA

View Full Version : Bills looking to change playing surface??

JJamezz
03-27-2003, 03:21 PM
WNSA just kinda snuck that one in there with the Gash & Ismail report..

It's called AstroPlay - it sounds like its more similar to regular turf than the FieldTurf Seattle uses.. trying to find some pics...

http://www.srisports.com/news/archive/field/filled/aurora_colorado_longversion030130.htm

Pride
03-27-2003, 03:41 PM
Sweet!! Flubber!

JJamezz
03-27-2003, 03:42 PM
Apparently its the same stuff they have installed in their practice facility..

The_Philster
03-27-2003, 04:12 PM
The whole question is what kind of timeframe are we looking at?

BFBills
03-27-2003, 04:16 PM
i rather see grass

4thAndLong
03-27-2003, 04:20 PM
I think it's the kind of stuff in Ford Field and Reliant Stadium.

superbills
03-27-2003, 05:42 PM
Actually, I believe Ford Field has FiledTurf and Reliant has natural grass. I like the looks of this stuff, though. A lot of Soccer statiums use it and I really think we need a change. Injuries because of playing hard are one thing, injuries because of the turf (see Sam Cowart) are another.

SoCalBillsFan
03-27-2003, 05:53 PM
I dont understand why they dont go to the field turf. The maintainence is almost non-existent, it's not all that expensive. Not like ralph couldn't afford it...what gives? It's a very nice playing surface

Buffarama
03-27-2003, 05:54 PM
It's a great idea! There is almost no reason in a climate like ours not to have this kind of turf over grass or carpet. Welcome to the 21st century.

Nighthawk
03-27-2003, 10:02 PM
The AstroPlay or FieldTurf are basically the same thing. Detroit uses what the Bills are probably going to put in. If they choose to replace the turf at the Ralph, it will be done before next season starts. Don't forget, they have a lot of newly signed, high priced talent, to protect from injuries and the players around the league say they like this stuff better than grass...it's supposedly more forgiving. Personally I believe it looks great and it is more appealing to watch games on it than on the crap we currently have in the Ralph.

JJamezz
03-28-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Nighthawk
The AstroPlay or FieldTurf are basically the same thing.

That's good to hear - what I had read made it sound more like regular turf..

Interesting tidbit:

Villanova and Duquesne Universities in Pennsylvania also recently switched to AstroPlay® in a bid to reduce athletic injuries. “(Officials at the University of) Connecticut said their injuries went to half, and (officials at Gibsonia, Pennsylvania’s) Pine-Richland Stadium said they had zero injuries this year,” Duquesne Maintenance Supervisor Mark Mazza said of other schools that influenced the Dukes in following their lead in installing the turf. “Everyone I’ve talked to says they like it a lot better.”

Earthquake Enyart
03-28-2003, 10:26 AM
They installed it on the practice field last year to try it out.

Most outdoor northern cities are giving up on grass and are going to flubber. I think Giants Stadium is switching this year too.

iceblizzard69
03-28-2003, 11:05 AM
AstroTurf is garbage. I like grass but in Buffalo's situation I think they should use Fieldturf or astroplay, but I don't know the difference between the two. However, I know they are a lot softer and don't cause injuries like astroturf does. Also, they are both pretty easy to maintain, unlike grass.

BillsNYC
03-28-2003, 11:06 AM
what does green bay have? i'd think their needs would be the same as ours?

Mr. Miyagi
03-28-2003, 11:28 AM
Green Bay has real grass.

Mr. Miyagi
03-28-2003, 11:29 AM
and their field is completely trashed half the season every year.