• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Searching for some perspective....

Those of you who around a lot know I often accuse people of being "homers"- ie, because they want the team to win, they are unable to be objective and see the team's flaws. To me, Bills wins are the most important thing, but there is challenge and entertainment in analyzing the game and being able to make accurate predictions. However, given that the Bills haven't been winning, I'm starting to wonder if the constant frustration is causing the same problem for me, in the opposite direction: I am unable to see the good. So, let's break this down into the positive and the negative and try to be objective about it:

The Positive:
    -We won two games in a row, including a division road game and a game against a team with a winning record and a great D

-The best special teams in football. The punt and kick coverage teams are nothing short of spectacular.

-Despite a slew of injuries, the D is coming around. Prior to the Dallas game, the D and the O were both equally inept, but now the D is carrying the O. IMO, prior to the Dallas game, Fewell was using his spinchter to keep his nose warm like the rest of our coaching staff, but the D has really stepped it up the last few games (Yes- Fewell blew it at the end of the Dallas game, but the truth is if the O could have scored 1 TD it wouldn't have mattered anyway).

-Numerous young guys and no-names are stepping up, including McCargo, Reed, Lynch, DiGiorgio, Wilson, Greer, Williams and Parrish.

-Despite a slew of injuries, idiot coaches, a genuine QB controversy and 2 heartbreaking losses, we're 1 game away from .500

-As bad as it is for us, it's still worse for a lot of the other teams, including the Jets and the Dolphins.

And now, the negative:
    - Despite winning against the Jets, we managed only 1 offensive TD against a pretty bad D missing their best player (Vilma). The team showed nothing to make me think they could beat a good team. We're going to have to do much better offensively to beat Cincy.

-Baltimore and the Jets have pathetic offenses so our D may not be as good as it looks.

-Our coaches are idiots and cost us two games. They make some of the most gutless play calls I've ever seen and have no concept of when to gamble and when to play conservative.

-On the DL, Tripplett, Kelsay and Schobel all make big bucks for very little production (Granted, Schobel was good on Sunday and Kelsay was decent, but people around here tend to forget a month of mediocrity after one big play- the two of them have been overpursuing all year).

-Big bucks were spent on the OL and it has improved the pass protection but not the run blocking. It's very disturbing trend that the two areas where Ralph shelled out the most money are both unproductive.

-We have a true QB controversy with two QB's who are both very mediocre. They both seem like they're waiting for the other guy to step up. And it may be causing some locker room dissent.

-Did I mention that our coaches are idiots? They always have the team well prepared then loose their damn minds when it comes to in-game decision-making. Just once, I'd like to truly outcoach someone. Even on Sunday, Jauron kept giving Mangini every opportunity to outcoach him and Mangini kept passing. Long story short, Jauron and Fairchild are good Monday-Saturday, but they turn into inbred puppies on Sundays.

-The Pats are in our division. Until we learn to win like the Pats, all we're going to be is a distant second with an outside shot at a wild card. That's not good enough.

So, in summary, this season looked like a complete disaster after the Pats game but the Bills have managed to mitigate it somewhat and not completely tank the season the way the Jets and Dolphins have. Yet, we're still 5 games and a tiebreaker behind the Pats and there are some very strong reasons for concern. It's short-sighted to think everything is fine just because we beat the Jets.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • THE END OF ALL DAYS
    The Allen Era has begun.... no looking back now, come hell or high water!
    • Feb 2005

Re: Searching for some perspective....

that did not ramble... it was a good read
    In my day we did not have self-esteem... we had self-respect, and no more of it then we earned.

Comment

• Patrick76777
      • Jul 2002

It just stinks that we're in the same division as the best team in the history of football.
      Resign our own guys!

Comment

• shelby
        The Vanilla *****
        • Jul 2002

Good post, Op.
        You are a great poster, but you tend to beat people over the head with your negativity at times. It's nice to see you point out some of the positives.

Comment

• scott51
          • Oct 2006

Awesome post Op!
          Go Bills!
          Go Sabres!

JP Losman, your time is up!

2007 Standings:
          Buffalo Bills 7-9
          New England Patriots 18-1*

Comment

• TacklingDummy
            Unreachable Douche
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Patrick76777
            It just stinks that we're in the same division as the best team in the history of football.
            Thank God for that. If it wasn't for NE this division would be the laughing stock of the NFL.

Comment

• Mad Bomber
              • Jul 2002

Great post Op.

Comment

• Elminster
                #1 Kelsay Fan
                • Oct 2006

I like this OP. Leave the horse in the grave though, that does get old. I think this team is talented but, for the most part, coached poorly. And that depresses me more than anything, because this team is much better than it plays, IMO. I mean, we should be 5-2 right now. This is a talented and capable football team, and I agree, at minimum, Fairchild and McNally have to go. Our offense blows and offensive line has never shown much under McNally. No one's a miracle worker, but even TD was getting him guys he wanted on draft day and we all know how they've been turning out. Most of them aren't even on the roster anymore and Preston will probably be joining them soon. I have no need to say anything on Fairchild: it is evident every Sunday regardless of personnel. But some of things I've heard are also troubling(no checkdown in the redzone in the Steelers game, for example. From JP's mouth. I didn't see one either) We very obviously underutilize Marshawn in the passing game and that is simply asanine given some our difficulties picking up blitzes and his talent. He makes plays, even out of nothing.
                Good riddance Fairchild. Of course, the knowledge of your departure will only make TE more hateable than the typical Bills QB. Good luck, hope we don't mess you up like JP.

Comment

• scott51
                  • Oct 2006

I posted this in another thread thought I would add it here....

You know what, I just came to a conclusion. JP Losman should start the rest of this season. This has nothing to do with thinking that Trent can't make it in the NFL or anything like that. This simply comes down to one thing, the Buffalo Bills players seem to want JP Losman in there leading them. When JP came in the recievers seemed to have an extra step. Frankly, I am to the point that I want to win and if the players, most importantly the recievers, are going to respond better with JP Losman in there, then put him in. Let him prove once and for all that he can lead this team. He was pissed off when he lost the job. Well, then show us that you can and will be a leader on the field and in the locker room. IMO, if JP does start against Cincy, its time he showed leadership and told the guys in the huddle, "Okay, here's what we are gonna do". Then go out there and play your f'n heart out!

To add to that I think if he did this it just might open up the field for Lynch. Teams are going to always be weary of the deep pass and could create some openings in the line for Marshaun to have that break out game!
                  Go Bills!
                  Go Sabres!

2007 Standings:
                  Buffalo Bills 7-9

Comment

• Elminster
                    #1 Kelsay Fan
                    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by scott51

You know what, I just came to a conclusion. JP Losman should start the rest of this season. This has nothing to do with thinking that Trent can't make it in the NFL or anything like that. This simply comes down to one thing, the Buffalo Bills players seem to want JP Losman in there leading them. When JP came in the recievers seemed to have an extra step. Frankly, I am to the point that I want to win and if the players, most importantly the recievers, are going to respond better with JP Losman in there, then put him in. Let him prove once and for all that he can lead this team. He was pissed off when he lost the job. Well, then show us that you can and will be a leader on the field and in the locker room. IMO, if JP does start against Cincy, its time he showed leadership and told the guys in the huddle, "Okay, here's what we are gonna do". Then go out there and play your f'n heart out!

To add to that I think if he did this it just might open up the field for Lynch. Teams are going to always be weary of the deep pass and could create some openings in the line for Marshaun to have that break out game!
                    Did you miss the Texans game, after which Peerless, of all people, gushed about his demeanor in the huddle before that last play? "I'm not throwing the ****ing checkdown, so get open!" Or something like that. He already is a leader. He was voted team captain, after all.
                    Good riddance Fairchild. Of course, the knowledge of your departure will only make TE more hateable than the typical Bills QB. Good luck, hope we don't mess you up like JP.

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
                      • Jul 2002

Good post Op. I feel the same.

Comment

• scott51
                        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Elminster
                        Did you miss the Texans game, after which Peerless, of all people, gushed about his demeanor in the huddle before that last play? "I'm not throwing the ****ing checkdown, so get open!" Or something like that. He already is a leader. He was voted team captain, after all.
                        No I hadn't heard that quote. That just supports what I said. I am not sold on either of our QB's right now but JP seems to have the support of the team and if that is what we need to win, then go with it!
                        Go Bills!
                        Go Sabres!

2007 Standings:
                        Buffalo Bills 7-9

Comment

• djjimkelly
                          • Apr 2003

Originally posted by scott51

this has been one of my main thoughts on backing JP

also great post OP.

and one simple way to bring pats back to the pack take OUT BRADY!!!!!

Comment

• RedEyE
                            • Jul 2002

Op, this could be your best post ever. Well stated !

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                              Zero for Zero!
                              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
                              -Our coaches are idiots and cost us two games. They make some of the most gutless play calls I've ever seen and have no concept of when to gamble and when to play conservative.
                              Very good post, but I just want to point out a bit of disagreement here.

The coaches also got the Bills to that point, and have, overall, done a very good job this imo. Are some of the calls questionable? Sure.

But do you think the long passes to Evans or Roscoe were bad calls? They could be considered so. Were they much different than the end of the Broncos game?

At some point (i.e. 6+ minutes left in the Dallas game), you have to play to win the game. Sitting back in a shell is not the best route either.

Other than that, I agree with most of what you said here.
                              Originally posted by mysticsoto
                              Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

Working...
                              X