PDA

View Full Version : A QB Thread

scott51
10-30-2007, 08:35 AM
Ok, so I am going to do everything I can to make this a positive thread about the Quarterback situation. I will start by saying I am in favor of Trent Edwards being the starter but I am not 100% sold on him yet either. I honestly do not understand the name-calling and crap that goes on here when debating the quarterbacks of the Buffalo Bills. Frankly, I don't think EITHER guy has completely solidified his job as starter. We are not talking about a situation where we have a Brett Favre type player and he is on the bench. I just finally got to watch the Bills game (had it DVR'd). I thought Trent and JP both looked very similar when running the offense. The differences I did see was that JP has more experience and played a factor in being able to come off the bench and run the offense. I also thought that the pass to Evans that went for 85 yards was a very well thrown pass. It was a jump ball almost like a hail mary and Evans was able to come down with it. I watched it a couple times and did not think it was underthrown.

With that said, I feel bad for both Trent Edwards and JP Losman. After watching this game, I think that the QB's here are having to deal with really crappy coaching. It's a shame that we have two talented quarterbacks who probably will both turn out to be great quarterbacks and we have coaches who won't give them the weapons to succeed. I realize the coaches have a system they want to run but that system means diddly-doo if the quarterback can't run it. They should have sat down with JP Losman and said, okay, what do you need to succeed. Then went out and got what ever he needed. Then after everything is set up the way he wants it, if he continues to fail and not show promise; then you can say, "Okay, its time to go a different direction." Unfortunately, they didn't do that and now we have to watch this coaching staff screw up the careers of 2 good quarterbacks!

HHURRICANE
10-30-2007, 08:45 AM
I will start by saying I am in favor of Trent Edwards being the starter but I am not 100% sold on him yet either. I honestly do not understand the name-calling and crap that goes on here when debating the quarterbacks of the Buffalo Bills.

I am in 100% agreement of this statement!!!

scott51
10-30-2007, 08:48 AM
Thanks, also to anyone who reads this, I am NOT trying to get anything started or get someone going. I am hoping to have a rational debate on this or whatever. Just wanted to clear that up ahead of time

TacklingDummy
10-30-2007, 08:49 AM
Ok, so I am going to do everything I can to make this a positive thread about the Quarterback situation. I will start by saying I am in favor of Trent Edwards being the starter but I am not 100% sold on him yet either. Agree

I also thought that the pass to Evans that went for 85 yards was a very well thrown pass. It was a jump ball almost like a hail mary and Evans was able to come down with it. I watched it a couple times and did not think it was underthrown.

Disagree. It was a duck.

mybills
10-30-2007, 09:00 AM
I'm not in favor of starting Trent. He looks no better on the field than JP. JP is healthy now, so give him his job back and let him finish out the year. Trent can keep practicing & learning, and if they still want him next year, start him then. This whole thing never had to get out of control. It's sad that it did.

scott51
10-30-2007, 09:04 AM
You know what, I just came to a conclusion. JP Losman should start the rest of this season. This has nothing to do with thinking that Trent can't make it in the NFL or anything like that. This simply comes down to one thing, the Buffalo Bills players seem to want JP Losman in there leading them. When JP came in the recievers seemed to have an extra step. Frankly, I am to the point that I want to win and if the players, most importantly the recievers, are going to respond better with JP Losman in there, then put him in. Let him prove once and for all that he can lead this team. He was pissed off when he lost the job. Well, then show us that you can and will be a leader on the field and in the locker room. IMO, if JP does start against Cincy, its time he showed leadership and told the guys in the huddle, "Okay, here's what we are gonna do". Then go out there and play your f'n heart out!

TacklingDummy
10-30-2007, 09:12 AM
He lost the starting job 2 other times, he was pissed off then, now he's pissed off because he lost the starting job a 3rd time. We have heard it all before. If JP want's to keep the starting job then he has to start leading the Bills to victory.

BTW, you didn't fool me with the " I will start by saying I am in favor of Trent Edwards being the starter but I am not 100% sold on him yet either." and then "You know what, I just came to a conclusion. JP Losman should start the rest of this season." You already had that conclusion.

scott51
10-30-2007, 09:16 AM
He lost the starting job 2 other times, he was pissed off then, now he's pissed off because he lost the starting job a 3rd time. We have heard it all before. If JP want's to keep the starting job then he has to start leading the Bills to victory.

BTW, you didn't fool me with the " I will start by saying I am in favor of Trent Edwards being the starter but I am not 100% sold on him yet either." and then "You know what, I just came to a conclusion. JP Losman should start the rest of this season." You already had that conclusion.

Actually, I did, I haven't been a big supporter of JP Losman. I still have doubts. The simple fact is that the players for what ever reason, react to him better than they do Trent. I frankly want this team to win. I honestly do not care if its JP or Trent who does it. The reason I just came to that last conclusion is because I was just able to watch the game from Sunday vs the Jets. They for what ever reason came alive when JP went in, especially #83. Do I think that JP is the answer to our problems, not by a long shot. I also don't want a divided locker room, week after week either.

acehole
10-30-2007, 09:23 AM
Good post.Somthing also need to be said. We have to look at the Qb situation in the context of not only the rest of the talent around him but also the context of the AFCE. In order to get to the playoffs we need to beat/better then Jets,Maimi,NE. Right now it is safe to say Miami and the Jets are starting with new QB's and it is safe to say if we go with Edwards we will have the best situation of the 3 teams at QB especially next year. However we are not that bad and have an outside chance at the playoffs. That has to be part of the thinking of the Bills. They look at NE and say we are 2-4 years away from having a chance talet wise against the likes of Brady/Moss Welker, A Thomas. If it wasnt for and INT here or a bad bounce here or there we could have won 2 more. So now things change. This team is playing better then anyone expected. So lets face it anybody supporting TE as starter has to relize he will take his lumps this year and make some mistakes as he did against the Jets. The big question is do we want to make a wild card run at the playoffs or do we want to tank a year get TE ready for next , have one more draft and off season and compete next year. You have to know what the coachs and players want to do...and you also have to know what management wants to do. They are opposite. JP whatever you want to say about him has more experience and can win a game with his arm if called upon or from a deficit. The cincy game is very important...not from a qb stand piont but from the team that surrounds him stand piont. If they come in and fire on all cyliders...deffense, special teams,....we get pionts....I bet we stay with JP. If we come in and the Deffense is not stopping anyone and we are not playing up to potiential we pack in and get the Young guys much needed experience and make a run in 2008. That how I would handle it. If I am them I want JP to do well enough so that they can trade him in the off season..if in fact they dont want to pay him and TE is there guy this should be their stragity. At least get somthing for JP. If JP comes in and play very good ball and the team is playing well in general..that thinking may have to shift. This is JP's make or break year....trouble is is he has to play to find out. Cant wait for Cincy game.

Ok, so I am going to do everything I can to make this a positive thread about the Quarterback situation. I will start by saying I am in favor of Trent Edwards being the starter but I am not 100% sold on him yet either. I honestly do not understand the name-calling and crap that goes on here when debating the quarterbacks of the Buffalo Bills. Frankly, I don't think EITHER guy has completely solidified his job as starter. We are not talking about a situation where we have a Brett Favre type player and he is on the bench. I just finally got to watch the Bills game (had it DVR'd). I thought Trent and JP both looked very similar when running the offense. The differences I did see was that JP has more experience and played a factor in being able to come off the bench and run the offense. I also thought that the pass to Evans that went for 85 yards was a very well thrown pass. It was a jump ball almost like a hail mary and Evans was able to come down with it. I watched it a couple times and did not think it was underthrown.

With that said, I feel bad for both Trent Edwards and JP Losman. After watching this game, I think that the QB's here are having to deal with really crappy coaching. It's a shame that we have two talented quarterbacks who probably will both turn out to be great quarterbacks and we have coaches who won't give them the weapons to succeed. I realize the coaches have a system they want to run but that system means diddly-doo if the quarterback can't run it. They should have sat down with JP Losman and said, okay, what do you need to succeed. Then went out and got what ever he needed. Then after everything is set up the way he wants it, if he continues to fail and not show promise; then you can say, "Okay, its time to go a different direction." Unfortunately, they didn't do that and now we have to watch this coaching staff screw up the careers of 2 good quarterbacks!

mybills
10-30-2007, 09:26 AM
It's not just that they came alive..they know they're being used and abused. They're sick of it. So are the fans. You don't play musical QB's like this. You get your rookie in there to fill in for your injured starter, then you put your starter back in when he has healed. It's that simple. And had they done that, Trent wouldn't be hurt right now.

shelby
10-30-2007, 10:19 AM
Good post Scott....i agree.
Thanks for bringing up some positives.

HHURRICANE
10-30-2007, 10:26 AM
Redeye just posted this in another thread and I thought it was the post of the month:

Re: Big day for the Offense against the Bengals... <!-- Start Post Thank You Hack --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: post_thanks_button --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: post_thanks_button_image -->http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/bzstyle2/buttons/post_thanks.gif <!-- END TEMPLATE: post_thanks_button_image --> (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?do=post_thanks_add&p=2178694)<!-- END TEMPLATE: post_thanks_button --><!-- End Post Thank You Hack --><!-- Start Post Groan Hack --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: post_groan_button --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: post_groan_button_image -->http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/bzstyle2/buttons/post_groan.gif <!-- END TEMPLATE: post_groan_button_image --> (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?do=post_groan_add&p=2178694)<!-- END TEMPLATE: post_groan_button --><!-- End Post Groan Hack -->

<HR style="COLOR: #f3f3ff" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->This game actually worries me a bit.

The Bills offense, while slowly progressing, has yet to fully develop. My largest concern is the OL, as they jsut haven't put together a full game in my opinion yet.

The Bills defense will only be able to keep this Cincy O in line for so long. If the Bills offense can't get motoring out there then it will be a long day for the Bills D.

Here's how I see the QB situation:

Trent manages the game well, and has put together some well needed clock munching drives over the past few weeks. However, his inexperience tends to force a mistake before greatness. This will eventually go away with time but I'm not sure it disappear quite yet against Cincy.

Losman: Let's face it, his underneath game has not been incredibly effective and this is the lone reason as to why this guy isn't a sure start this week and why a QB controversy has been allowed to develop. He proved last week against the Jets that he's capable of putting together a clock eating drive but I have only seen this from Losman when he is playing for something more then himself. He pinched out the same great performance when Holcomb was treading on his heels. Plain and simple, he plays better angry. Because of this reason, this could be a good week to start Losman. He's again out to prove that he has what it takes to lead this team to victories. And again, his consistancy is the only thing that lies in question here.

Anthony Thomas: Regardless of who is at QB, it is imperative that A-Train be healthy for this game. It was painstakenly obvious that the Bills were having difficulties picking up the blitz without this guy on the field last week. Edwards quick release and decisive reads enables him to off throw the blitz a bit quickerthen Losman. But Losman's natural ability to stretch the field is hard to stray from.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=138331
<!-- / message -->