X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gunzlingr
    • Jul 2002

Jets Fans Call For Clemens To Be Benched In Favor Of Chad Pennington

NEW YORK--Following a performance against the Buffalo Bills in which Kellen Clemens went 5-12 for 67 yards and two interceptions, Jets fans are calling for the rookie QB to be benched in favor of veteran Chad Pennington. Pennington, who started the game, went 13-20 for 106 yards.
    “Get that guy out of there, Mangini,” said Ron LaBrilla, 30, a Jets fans exiting the stadium after the 13-3 loss. “He looks shaky, he can’t read the defense, and he’s got no zip on his ball. Pennington at least give us a chance to win. Leave the guy in there for a full season and see what he can do. If he crashes and burns, you brush yourself off and move on, and then we blame you for screwing up the quarterback situation.”
    Some angry sports radio callers questioned why a veteran quarterback would be left on the sidelines while a rookie floundered and threw the game away.
    “I can’t believe what I just saw,” said Tim, caller on the Mike and the Mad Dog Show. “I just saw Kellen frigging Clemens throw two picks at the end of the game while Pennington sat on the sidelines and watched. I wonder what Mangini was thinking. Maybe he was just trying not to run up the score. Someone should tell him it’s only bad if you’re ahead.”
    Since the start of the season, Mangini has weighed benching Pennington in favor of the strong-armed rookie, but has been hesitant to pull his starter while they still had a shot at the playoffs. Now that the team is sitting at 1-7, he feels it’s the appropriate time for a change.
    “We tried to win with Chad but it just wasn’t happening for us, so we’re going to switch things up and see what happens,” said Mangini. “I hope the fans don’t judge Kellen from his brief appearance in Sunday’s game. He’s actually much better than that. The only reason I haven’t started him before now is because the fans have been screaming for him and fans are generally stupid.”
    Pennington said he was disappointed in the decision but vowed to assist Clemens any way he could. Asked if he had a message for his replacement, Pennington replied “Good luck.”
    “Good luck, Kellen,” Pennington said after practice today. “Our offense is about as lifeless as…well, our defense. But I want you to know that I’m here to help you. Any time you want to talk or go over stuff or whatever, just give me a call. The only thing you really have to remember is not to throw too many passes to the outside or the inside. Those are our two weak spots. Other than that, just use your instincts. Have fun out there.”
    Pennington also warned Clemens about the pressure of playing in New York.
    “Playing in New York is a whole different animal,” he said. “You’re going to deal with a lot of criticism and you’d better learn how to block it out. Of course I should be in there and not you, but there’s no need to dwell on it. Just remember that if you weren’t good enough to be an NFL quarterback, you wouldn’t even be here. You’d be on the Bears.”
    Clemens' stint as starter got off to a shaky start, but the former Oregon star is eager to show the fans what he can do with a full week of practice. The 24-year-old vowed not to let fan criticism demoralize him.
    “After Sunday people are already calling for my benching,” said Clemens. “And that’s all part of playing in New York. One day they love you and the next day they hate you. Just ask coach Mangini. When he first got here everybody though he was a genius. And now, he’s naming me starting quarterback.”

LINK
    You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!
  • LtFinFan66
    • Mar 2005

Re: Jets Fans Call For Clemens To Be Benched In Favor Of Chad Pennington

Damn, talk about not being able to make up your mind

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

Such a far cry from the Kelly-Marino-O'Brien days...
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Devin
        The Octagon
        • Apr 2003

http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• Gunzlingr
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Devin
          You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Comment

• mybills
            81 st zoner
            • Jul 2002

Yes, it does look like the Billszone.
            In their situation though, Chad had more games to fail than JP. It would've looked like they were giving up on Chad, the team, & the PO's, had they pulled him out any earlier. Now it's the right thing to do.
            I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• Mike13
              • Aug 2005

The back up is always poplular.

Comment

• Dude
                that slimey ass of an admin at the zone
                • Feb 2005

Given the lack of overall QB talent across the league, this is not shocking in the least.

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍