PDA

View Full Version : Jauron's Plan

patmoran2006
10-30-2007, 06:17 PM
Dick Jauron, like him or not (I dont) has a plan and he is GOING to continue to implement it.

Whether its Losman or Edwards-- if you think we're going to suddenly open up this offense radically different than what you've seen through seven weeks, you are sadly mistaken. If you think with JP (or Edwards for that matter to keep it fair) are going to go in and we're going to become the Packers or Saints, it's not going to happen-- not with the current staff.

This team is being built around a defense and a running game. Walker and Dockery got a **** load of money because they are supposed to be RUN GRATERS (which they have been anything but, though its too early to judge). Lynch was taken 12th overall ahead of a CB or a DT because he can pound the ball down your throat (sure as hell can too).. WRight was taken in the 4th round because he's very physical.

The scheme is obvious as hell. Jauron wants a team that is going to run the ball, and then run it again. The QB play is designed for short, accurate passing that's going to chew up the clock and move the ball. There will be (are) shots taken here and there, but you wont see much of it.

Defensively, we rely on turnovers and to not give up the big play. The defense is built to NOT get into wild shootouts.

Hate Jauron or not (again I do)--- you can't help but see this plan start to come to fruition over the past month. THough the record certainly won't reflect it (this year anyway) they are starting to look a bit like that Bears team that went 13-3; ball control, high pecentage passing and solid defense.

If we're winning, I dont see how anyone can complain. Good teams are built differently. This is the single biggest reason I dont see Losman as the starter long-term, or maybe even next week.

But REGARDLESS if its JP, or Edwards- dont fool yourself into thinking they will stray much from this plan of attack.

John Doe
10-30-2007, 06:26 PM
Dick Jauron, like him or not (I dont) has a plan and he is GOING to continue to implement it.

Whether its Losman or Edwards-- if you think we're going to suddenly open up this offense radically different than what you've seen through seven weeks, you are sadly mistaken. If you think with JP (or Edwards for that matter to keep it fair) are going to go in and we're going to become the Packers or Saints, it's not going to happen-- not with the current staff.

This team is being built around a defense and a running game. Walker and Dockery got a **** load of money because they are supposed to be RUN GRATERS (which they have been anything but, though its too early to judge). Lynch was taken 12th overall ahead of a CB or a DT because he can pound the ball down your throat (sure as hell can too).. WRight was taken in the 4th round because he's very physical.

The scheme is obvious as hell. Jauron wants a team that is going to run the ball, and then run it again. The QB play is designed for short, accurate passing that's going to chew up the clock and move the ball. There will be (are) shots taken here and there, but you wont see much of it.

Defensively, we rely on turnovers and to not give up the big play. The defense is built to NOT get into wild shootouts.

Hate Jauron or not (again I do)--- you can't help but see this plan start to come to fruition over the past month. THough the record certainly won't reflect it (this year anyway) they are starting to look a bit like that Bears team that went 13-3; ball control, high pecentage passing and solid defense.

If we're winning, I dont see how anyone can complain. Good teams are built differently. This is the single biggest reason I dont see Losman as the starter long-term, or maybe even next week.

But REGARDLESS if its JP, or Edwards- dont fool yourself into thinking they will stray much from this plan of attack.

I agree with your post except that I do not hate Jauron.

BTW it is "road graders" (a huge machine that levels an uneven road surface prior to paving).

acehole
10-30-2007, 06:37 PM
This is that non redzone offense somebody was talking about.
Trouble with this is there is a defense scheme called 8 in the box that is designed to stop it cold. You have to score in todays NFL I am afraid. We need to be able to do that (Contol the clock) but usually from a lead. That will be hard if we are not respected for long or intermediate pass. You can also run blitz that offense to stop it. I agree with the need to be able to run it in buffalo in the winter.....but it will only work well if you are repected deep. See the New England Patriot offense as an example.

HHURRICANE
10-30-2007, 06:40 PM
Pat did you pull an "Answer~"?? I just read this article somewhere? Come clean.

Philagape
10-30-2007, 06:46 PM
The Dick MO has always been ball control, to keep the defense rested, with the occasional shot downfield.
Ever notice that over the past two years, most of the bombs have been against weak teams? Houston, Kansas City, Miami, Jets. I'm not saying that to point out the quality of the defenses, but to show that we didn't fear them. We could afford to take chances.
When we go against a powerhouse like Indy last year, we try to keep the passing a minimum because the priority is to keep their offense off the field (unless we're already in a hole and have no choice but to throw). We don't want to get into shootouts with them, and we don't want to get into a shootout with Cincy.
Not saying I agree with this whole philosophy, but that's Dick.

gr8slayer
10-30-2007, 06:49 PM
I wish he would build the team around the running game even more. We have a budding all-star in Lynch, make him our LT. Give the man the ball 50% of the plays.

HHURRICANE
10-30-2007, 06:55 PM
Well I just read an article, cough, cough, where they were stating that Jauron's pick is Edwards because he can run a ball control offense similar to what he ran in Chicago.

For all of the *****ing about Jauron the one thing about him being coach is that even if he were to get fired he's going to leave the team in better shape than he found it. Building a team around a great D never hurts the next guy.

Look what happened in places like Miami and Atlanta where the focus was on "win now" and focused on some overpaid individual talent.

Jauron has this team playing hard and he's bringing in hard playing guys.

Tony Dungy had alot more to do with the Bucs winning a Superbowl than Gruden did.

PECKERWOOD
10-30-2007, 06:58 PM
Dick and ball control. 101

Forward_Lateral
10-30-2007, 07:04 PM
This team and it's fans have been dying for a "smashmouth" running offense for years. Now that Dick finally appears to have instilled it, everyone is complaining that it's too conservative. People don't realize that to win football in Buffalo, and the AFC, you need to have run first, ball control offense, unless you have a QB named Peyton Manning or Tom Brady.

Look at Pittsburgh when they won. Pretty boring, but I'll take boring winning over thrilling losing every Sunday.

Typ0
10-30-2007, 07:13 PM
The Dick MO has always been ball control, to keep the defense rested, with the occasional shot downfield.
Ever notice that over the past two years, most of the bombs have been against weak teams? Houston, Kansas City, Miami, Jets. I'm not saying that to point out the quality of the defenses, but to show that we didn't fear them. We could afford to take chances.
When we go against a powerhouse like Indy last year, we try to keep the passing a minimum because the priority is to keep their offense off the field (unless we're already in a hole and have no choice but to throw). We don't want to get into shootouts with them, and we don't want to get into a shootout with Cincy.
Not saying I agree with this whole philosophy, but that's Dick.

that's the most intelligent thing I've seen posted here in a long time and it's exactly right. All the wining and complaining about opening up the playbook for one guy and not another is a load of crap it has been a function of the match-ups. And given the talent on this team and the fact that we've been in every game and two plays away from 5-2 I think it's sad the coaching staff is getting the crap they are. Maybe you don't like it because it's not flashy but I can see this playcalling and style of football winning consitently with a little more talent on the defensive line and a big physical receiver.

BillsOverDolphins
10-30-2007, 07:13 PM
This team and it's fans have been dying for a "smashmouth" running offense for years. Now that Dick finally appears to have instilled it, everyone is complaining that it's too conservative. People don't realize that to win football in Buffalo, and the AFC, you need to have run first, ball control offense, unless you have a QB named Peyton Manning or Tom Brady.

Look at Pittsburgh when they won. Pretty boring, but I'll take boring winning over thrilling losing every Sunday.

but that is Buffalo's forte

Wys Guy
10-30-2007, 07:20 PM

JP can't run this plan.

I disagree Pat that he even has a plan. IMO this season is an adhoc fix to a season that went awry last year. IMO you give Jauron, who's not bright, far too much credit.

If we're winning? We've beaten the Jets twice and have only one other win. I don't believe that we'll win many more games, and if our scoring against the Jets and their pathetic D are any indication, we likely won't score much beyond 13 or 16 all season. That ain't gonna cut it against most of the teams that we play besides Miami.

Either way, this "plan of attack" still doesn't address our sorry red zone offense either.

Defensively we've gotten tremendously lucky. We routinely allow tons of yards, rushing yards, heaps of efficiencies to our opponents, yet scoring is still relatively low in some instances against teams that can't score either.

Wys Guy
10-30-2007, 07:25 PM
that's the most intelligent thing I've seen posted here in a long time and it's exactly right. All the wining and complaining about opening up the playbook for one guy and not another is a load of crap it has been a function of the match-ups. And given the talent on this team and the fact that we've been in every game and two plays away from 5-2 I think it's sad the coaching staff is getting the crap they are. Maybe you don't like it because it's not flashy but I can see this playcalling and style of football winning consitently with a little more talent on the defensive line and a big physical receiver.

You've gotta put points on the board Typ0. We, meaning our offense, can't do that.

And since when has Jauron played ball control? Last year we lost the ToP edge in 12 of 16 games, severely in most instances, and ditto this season although for different reasons but aiding my point below, by doing exactly the opposite, not playing ball control as I pointed out all last season regularly.

IMO you have to do whatever you can to score. If that includes the use of a deep ball, then so be it. But at some point if that's all that's working, you have to begin asking yourself why that's the case and then doing something about it besides talking about it, which our team specializes in, lip service.

patmoran2006
10-30-2007, 07:26 PM
JP can't run this plan.

I disagree Pat that he even has a plan. IMO this season is an adhoc fix to a season that went awry last year. IMO you give Jauron, who's not bright, far too much credit.

If we're winning? We've beaten the Jets twice and have only one other win. I don't believe that we'll win many more games, and if our scoring against the Jets and their pathetic D are any indication, we likely won't score much beyond 13 or 16 all season. That ain't gonna cut it against most of the teams that we play besides Miami.

Either way, this "plan of attack" still doesn't address our sorry red zone offense either.

Defensively we've gotten tremendously lucky. We routinely allow tons of yards, rushing yards, heaps of efficiencies to our opponents, yet scoring is still relatively low in some instances against teams that can't score either.
Dude, I don't know how much more clear I could make it that I do not like him.

My point was whether we like it or not, that is going to be the style of team we have.. On a personal level, after years of losing- it doesn't matter to me if we don't throw a pass more than 3 yards down the field for the entire season, if we win.

acehole
10-30-2007, 07:27 PM

Agree with all of this..but Big ben can go long which makes that whole thing work. tom brady runs it and he can go long....... P manning runs it and he can also go long. They go long after the defenses start to creep up to stop it then they back up and you run it agian. If you are not feared in the long part...you really cant run it...see K Holcome.

Wys Guy
10-30-2007, 07:34 PM
Dude, I don't know how much more clear I could make it that I do not like him.

My point was whether we like it or not, that is going to be the style of team we have.. On a personal level, after years of losing- it doesn't matter to me if we don't throw a pass more than 3 yards down the field for the entire season, if we win.

I know you don't like him Pat. I'm just saying that you're giving him far too much credit. He has no plan. If he does it's ad hoc.

As to your last statement, if all we do is throw passes that would be caught within 10 yards of the line-of-scrimmage, we won't win.

YardRat
10-30-2007, 07:35 PM
I hope he does stick to his plan. As long as it continues to move in the riht direction, I'd love to pound the ground and play low-scoring defense back to the play-offs.

The better we get at running the ball, hitting the intermediate routes, and creating opportunities for the defense to make big plays, the more we'll score. Defenses are going to end up respecting Lynch more and more in the red zone, and that's going to open up opportunities in the passing game.

YardRat
10-30-2007, 07:36 PM
He has no plan.

Sorry, Wys, but that's just an ignorant comment.

Wys Guy
10-30-2007, 07:47 PM
Sorry, Wys, but that's just an ignorant comment.

What is his plan?

Can you articulate it?

What's his plan to help us score from the red zone YardRat?

What's his plan to overcome pathetic 3rd-down conversion performance?

What's his plan to have Lynch log more than 80 yards on 3.x yards-per-carry?

We heard about his plan which include L. Walker and Dockery and while I hate to be the one to break it to ya, that's failed in spades.

Either way, I'm all ears besides merely saying "ball control" when our game, except for one or two drives without ever more than a quarter or two of decent offensive ball, our play says anything but "ball control."

So let's hear it! Then we'll discuss ignorance, eh.

YardRat
10-30-2007, 08:09 PM
What is his plan?

Can you articulate it?

We heard about his plan which include L. Walker and Dockery and while I hate to be the one to break it to ya, that's failed in spades.

Either way, I'm all ears besides merely saying "ball control" when our game, except for one or two drives without ever more than a quarter or two of decent offensive ball, our play says anything but "ball control."

I certainly can't speak for the head coach, but IMO pat articulated it quite nicely in the first post. Run the ball, control the clock, bend but don't break on defense, put points (any points) on the board consistently and rely on the occasional big play from special teams, defense, and maybe even the offense if the circumstances are right for the highlight reel scores.

The starting RB is a rookie. The starting QB, when healthy, will be a rookie. The offensive line consists of three new starters and none of the five have yet to play a season-and-a-half at the same position for their current team. It takes more than a few games for an offensive line to become a viable, consistently dominant unit.

Holes needed to be filled on both lines when DJ and Marv took the helm. A lot of attention has been paid to both in the last two drafts, and FA. A stud RB was needed, and chosen. Several other positions that were in dire need of upgrading have been upgraded. Others still need to be filled, and I have no reason to not believe that they won't be addressed this off-season.

We may not be statistically dominant enough for you yet, but like it or not the team is moving in the right direction. It may not be circus-type exciting, or The Greatest Show on Turf II, but they are showing signs of being able to play with, and possibly beat, anybody on any given Sunday. If they can continue to show sparks the rest of the year, and continue to improve, I'm OK with that. I don't care how we win, as long as we win.

There hasn't been a head coach hired in the history of this league, save for the dreaded 'interim' mid-season replacements, that hasn't had a plan, and to think anybody gets to that level without some kind of foresight and knowledge is just ridiculous. You may not agree with it, you may not like it, and it may not be exciting enough for your tastes, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

BidsJr
10-30-2007, 08:25 PM
What is his plan?

Can you articulate it?

Unfortunately for you our ignorant head coach has many more intellectual credentials than you.

But thanks for the venom!!!!!

TigerJ
10-30-2007, 08:36 PM
I disagree with you, Pat. I'm taking Jauron at his word when he stated how important it was for an offence to be able to gain yardage in "chunks." By "chunks" he clearly meant big plays. Not that he wanted the team to be all or nothing all the time, I think he would like an offense that can control the ball, but I believe he wants the team to be able to generate some big plays every game. Maybe I'm being naive, but when he has spoken about "chunk" plays he could just as well have spoken about ball control instead.

Philagape
10-31-2007, 09:11 AM
I disagree with you, Pat. I'm taking Jauron at his word when he stated how important it was for an offence to be able to gain yardage in "chunks." By "chunks" he clearly meant big plays. Not that he wanted the team to be all or nothing all the time, I think he would like an offense that can control the ball, but I believe he wants the team to be able to generate some big plays every game. Maybe I'm being naive, but when he has spoken about "chunk" plays he could just as well have spoken about ball control instead.

Maybe he meant converting third downs. Gotta worry about the 10-yard chunks first.

Typ0
11-01-2007, 02:03 PM
IMO you have to do whatever you can to score. If that includes the use of a deep ball, then so be it. But at some point if that's all that's working, you have to begin asking yourself why that's the case and then doing something about it besides talking about it, which our team specializes in, lip service.

yes, the deep ball is a nice option to have available but it's not the only option. We should be throwing that pass to spread out the defense and maybe get one not throw it because it's our only way to score. I've already said why. The field is shorter in the red zone. We don't have a physical big receiver. We haven't been using the tight ends effectively. Those are the things we need to score more TDs not just to start chucking it downfield.

Typ0
11-01-2007, 02:04 PM

you misunderstand the concept of chunking. Chunking is breaking things down into smaller more manageable parts.