Preliminary HOF Class of 2008 list is out, Bennett, Hull, Reed, Smerlas, Talley.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mitchy moo
    Roways rooking ahread!
    • Sep 2005

Preliminary HOF Class of 2008 list is out, Bennett, Hull, Reed, Smerlas, Talley.....

124 on the Hall’s Nomination List For the Class of 2008

CANTON, OH – Wide receivers Cris Carter and Herman Moore and cornerback Darrell Green are first-year eligible candidates among a list of 124 modern-era players, coaches, and contributors who make up the preliminary list of nominees for election to the Pro Football Hall of Fame’s Class of 2008.

From this preliminary list of modern-era nominees, Hall of Fame selectors will choose 25 candidates who will advance as semifinalist nominees. The list of 25 modern-era semifinalists will be announced later next month.

The 25 modern-era semifinalists list will be reduced by a mail ballot to 15 modern-era finalists.

The final list for Hall of Fame consideration will consist of those 15 modern-era nominees plus two previously announced senior nominees, Marshall Goldberg and Emmitt Thomas. Goldberg, a multi-purpose back was a two-way star with the Chicago Cardinals from 1939-1943 and following World War II from 1946 to 1948. Thomas, an all-league cornerback, starred for 13 seasons (1966-1978) for the Kansas City Chiefs. The two senior nominees were selected this past August by the Hall of Fame’s Senior Selection Committee.

The Class of 2008 will be selected from the list of 17 finalists (15 modern-era and two senior nominees). The actual voting will be conducted at the Hall of Fame Selection Committee’s annual meeting, which will be held on Saturday, February 2, 2008, in Phoenix, Arizona, the day before Super Bowl XLII. The election results will be announced immediately after the meeting at a press conference in the media headquarters. While there is no set number for any class of enshrinees, the ground rules provide that between four and seven new members will be selected.

Other first-year eligible candidates for the Class of 2008 include running back Eric Metcalf, offensive tackles Tony Boselli, Lomas Brown, and Richmond Webb, and linebackers Levon Kirkland and Hardy Nickerson.

Also on the impressive preliminary list are seven former coaches, and 19 contributors, including former NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue and longtime team owners Bud Adams, Jerry Jones, Art Modell and Ralph Wilson.

To be considered for Hall of Fame election, a nominated player or coach must have been retired at least five years. A contributor, who is a nominee who has made outstanding career contributions to pro football in capacities other than playing or coaching, may still be active in his pro football career.

This is the first year that coaches are affected by the mandatory five-year waiting period; one of three significant changes to the selection process by-laws approved by the Hall of Fame’s Board of Trustees this year. The other major changes include increasing the minimum and maximum number of nominees that can be elected from a minimum of three and a maximum of six, to a minimum of four and a maximum of seven. The Board of Trustees also approved an increase in the number of selectors on the Selection Committee from 40 to 44.

PRELIMINARY LIST OF NOMINEES FOR THE CLASS OF 2008

Nominees in First Year of Eligibility

WIDE RECEIVERS – Cris Carter, Herman Moore
    RUNNING BACK – Eric Metcalf (also WR/KR/PR)
    OFFENSIVE LINEMEN: TACKLES – Tony Boselli, Lomas Brown, Richmond Webb
    LINEBACKERS – Levon Kirkland, Hardy Nickerson
    DEFENSIVE BACK – Darrell Green (CB)

Additional Nominees for the Class of 2008

QUARTERBACKS – Ken Anderson, Randall Cunningham, Boomer Esiason, Jim Plunkett, Phil Simms, Ken Stabler, Joe Theismann, Danny White, Doug Williams

RUNNING BACKS – Ottis Anderson, Roger Craig, Terrell Davis, Herschel Walker, Ricky Watters

WIDE RECEIVERS – Cliff Branch, Harold Carmichael, Dwight Clark, Gary Clark, Isaac Curtis, Henry Ellard, Roy Green, *Art Monk, Drew Pearson, *Andre Reed

TIGHT ENDS – Mark Bavaro, Todd Christensen, Ben Coates, Russ Francis, Brent Jones, Jay Novacek

OFFENSIVE LINEMEN – Jim Covert (T), Dermontti Dawson ©, *Russ Grimm (G), Jay Hilgenberg ©, Kent Hill (G/T), Chris Hinton (G/T), Kent Hull ©, Joe Jacoby (T), Mike Kenn (T), *Bob Kuechenberg (G), Jim Lachey (T), Mark May (T/G/C), Randall McDaniel (G), Jeff Van Note ©, Steve Wisniewski (G), *Gary Zimmerman (T)

DEFENSIVE LINEMEN – Ray Childress (DT/DE), *Fred Dean (DE), *Richard Dent (DE), Chris Doleman (DE/LB), Jacob Green (DE), Charles Haley (DE/LB), Jim Jeffcoat (DE), Ed “Too Tall” Jones (DE), Cortez Kennedy (DT), Joe Klecko (DE/DT/NT), Fred Smerlas (NT)

LINEBACKERS – Cornelius Bennett, Matt Blair, Robert Brazile, Randy Gradishar, Kevin Greene (LB/DE), Ken Harvey, Rickey Jackson, Wilber Marshall, Clay Matthews, Karl Mecklenburg, Sam Mills, Pat Swilling, Darryl Talley, *Derrick Thomas, *Andre Tippett

DEFENSIVE BACKS – Eric Allen (CB), Steve Atwater (S), Joey Browner (S), LeRoy Butler (S), Raymond Clayborn (CB), Nolan Cromwell (S), Kenny Easley (S), Lester Hayes (CB), Albert Lewis (CB), Ken Riley (CB), Donnie Shell (S), Louis Wright (CB)

KICKER/PUNTERS – *Ray Guy (P), Nick Lowery (K), Reggie Roby (P)

SPECIAL TEAMS – Elbert Shelley (S), Steve Tasker (WR)

COACHES – Don Coryell, Tom Flores, Jimmy Johnson, Chuck Knox, Buddy Parker, Clark Shaughnessy, Ernie Zampese

CONTRIBUTORS – K. S. “Bud” Adams, Jr., Gil Brandt, C. O. Brocato, Leo Carlin, Ed DeBartolo, Jr., Pat Haggerty, Bob Harlan, Jerry Jones, Bucko Kilroy, Art McNally, Art Modell, Art Rooney, Jr., Ed Sabol, Steve Sabol, *Paul Tagliabue, Jim Tunney, Ralph Wilson, Jr., Ron Wolf, George Young

*On 2007 17 finalists list
  • Johnny Bugmenot
    Will not tolerate vandalism.
    • Apr 2006

Re: Preliminary HOF Class of 2008 list is out, Bennett, Hull, Reed, Smerlas, Talley.....

Wow... quite a few impressive names on that list to be honest, it's going to be a pretty tough decision on who goes in this year.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
      Maybe?
      • Oct 2003

Re: Preliminary HOF Class of 2008 list is out, Bennett, Hull, Reed, Smerlas, Talley.....

QUARTERBACKS – Ken Anderson, Randall Cunningham, Boomer Esiason, Jim Plunkett, Phil Simms, Ken Stabler, Joe Theismann, Danny White, Doug Williams

RUNNING BACKS – Ottis Anderson, Roger Craig, Terrell Davis, Herschel Walker, Ricky Watters

WIDE RECEIVERS – Cliff Branch, Harold Carmichael, Dwight Clark, Gary Clark, Isaac Curtis, Henry Ellard, Roy Green, Art Monk, Drew Pearson, Andre Reed

TIGHT ENDS – Mark Bavaro, Todd Christensen, Ben Coates, Russ Francis, Brent Jones, Jay Novacek

OFFENSIVE LINEMEN – Jim Covert (T), Dermontti Dawson ©, Russ Grimm (G), Jay Hilgenberg ©, Kent Hill (G/T), Chris Hinton (G/T), Kent Hull, Joe Jacoby (T), Mike Kenn (T), Bob Kuechenberg (G), Jim Lachey (T), Mark May (T/G/C), Randall McDaniel (G), Jeff Van Note ©, Steve Wisniewski (G), Gary Zimmerman (T)

DEFENSIVE LINEMEN – Ray Childress (DT/DE), *Fred Dean (DE), Richard Dent (DE), Chris Doleman (DE/LB), Jacob Green (DE), Charles Haley (DE/LB), Jim Jeffcoat (DE), Ed “Too Tall” Jones (DE), Cortez Kennedy (DT), Joe Klecko (DE/DT/NT), Fred Smerlas (NT)

LINEBACKERS – Cornelius Bennett, Matt Blair, Robert Brazile, Randy Gradishar, Kevin Greene (LB/DE), Ken Harvey, Rickey Jackson, Wilber Marshall, Clay Matthews, Karl Mecklenburg, Sam Mills, Pat Swilling, Darryl Talley, *Derrick Thomas, *Andre Tippett

DEFENSIVE BACKS – Eric Allen (CB), Steve Atwater (S), Joey Browner (S), LeRoy Butler (S), Raymond Clayborn (CB), Nolan Cromwell (S), Kenny Easley (S), Lester Hayes (CB), Albert Lewis (CB), Ken Riley (CB), Donnie Shell (S), Louis Wright (CB)

COACHES – Don Coryell, Tom Flores, Jimmy Johnson,Chuck Knox, Buddy Parker, Clark Shaughnessy, Ernie Zampese

CONTRIBUTORS – K. S. “Bud” Adams, Jr., Gil Brandt, C. O. Brocato, Leo Carlin, Ed DeBartolo, Jr., Pat Haggerty, Bob Harlan, Jerry Jones, Bucko Kilroy, Art McNally, Art Modell, Art Rooney, Jr., Ed Sabol, Steve Sabol, Paul Tagliabue, Jim Tunney, Ralph Wilson, Jr., Ron Wolf, George Young [/quote]

I would love to see our guys get in but I think Reed is the best chance this year. The others I've bolded/underlined (up to 7 can get in)

Comment

• Mitchy moo
        Roways rooking ahread!
        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Mr. Cynical

WIDE RECEIVERS – Cliff Branch, Harold Carmichael, Dwight Clark, Gary Clark, Isaac Curtis, Henry Ellard, Roy Green, Art Monk, Drew Pearson, Andre Reed

OFFENSIVE LINEMEN – Jim Covert (T), Dermontti Dawson ©, Russ Grimm (G), Jay Hilgenberg ©, Kent Hill (G/T), Chris Hinton (G/T), Kent Hull, Joe Jacoby (T), Mike Kenn (T), Bob Kuechenberg (G), Jim Lachey (T), Mark May (T/G/C), Randall McDaniel (G), Jeff Van Note ©, Steve Wisniewski (G), Gary Zimmerman (T)

DEFENSIVE LINEMEN – Ray Childress (DT/DE), *Fred Dean (DE), Richard Dent (DE), Chris Doleman (DE/LB), Jacob Green (DE), Charles Haley (DE/LB), Jim Jeffcoat (DE), Ed “Too Tall” Jones (DE), Cortez Kennedy (DT), Joe Klecko (DE/DT/NT), Fred Smerlas (NT)

COACHES – Don Coryell, Tom Flores, Jimmy Johnson,Chuck Knox, Buddy Parker, Clark Shaughnessy, Ernie Zampese

CONTRIBUTORS – K. S. “Bud” Adams, Jr., Gil Brandt, C. O. Brocato, Leo Carlin, Ed DeBartolo, Jr., Pat Haggerty, Bob Harlan, Jerry Jones, Bucko Kilroy, Art McNally, Art Modell, Art Rooney, Jr., Ed Sabol, Steve Sabol, Paul Tagliabue, Jim Tunney, Ralph Wilson, Jr., Ron Wolf, George Young
        I would love to see our guys get in but I think Reed is the best chance this year. The others I've bolded/underlined (up to 7 can get in)[/quote]

Andre dawns the jacket this year.

Comment

• TheBrownBear
          • Dec 2004

The only guy that really stands out to me is Darrell Green, and mostly for his longevity. There are a ton of really "good" players on that list but none scream out HOF'er. Chris Doleman was always underrated and he was a great pass rusher but so was Dent.

Reed was a better receiver in his prime than Chris Carter but suffers because his best years were at the very end of the "deflated receiving stats" era. In Reed's best season he had 90 catches, but in the late 1990's you had guys like Terrence Mathis hauling in 100+, so it kind of diminishes Reed's accomplishments. It's too bad because from about 1987-1993 he was the second best receiver in football behind Jerry Rice. I hope he gets in but I don't think it's going to happen for him. If we had won a Super Bowl it would be a no-brainer.

Comment

• Meathead
            Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
            • Jul 2002

what no edwards
            One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• CuseJetsFan83
              Closet Bills Fan
              • Nov 2004

tony boselli?!

j-e-t-s
              jets jets jets (insert suck for those who aren't gangreen fans)

Comment

• Night Train
                Retired - On Several Levels
                • Jul 2005

I'm surprised Steelers S Donnie Shell (The Torpedo) is not in yet. God, could he hit. Had a great career.

Darrell Green is a standout among the first year players.
                Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• shelby
                  The Vanilla *****
                  • Jul 2002

Steve Tasker! That would be awesome.
                  Seriously, Andre Reed should go.

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
                    I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
                    • May 2005

Reed is probably the only one with a realistic chance this year, but somehow I don't see him getting in just yet... Hope I'm wrong!

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

no Bruce Smith? I thought this was his first year of eligibility.

The guy's the all-time sack leader- it should be automatic.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
                        • May 2005

Re: Preliminary HOF Class of 2008 list is out, Bennett, Hull, Reed, Smerlas, Talley..

Originally posted by OpIv37
                        no Bruce Smith? I thought this was his first year of eligibility.

The guy's the all-time sack leader- it should be automatic.
                        I thought he had one more year?

Smith had hinted in interviews that 2003 would be his final season. However, he never completely ruled out continuing to play. But on February 24, 2004, the Redskins released Smith, saving $6.5 million in salary cap space.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                          • Feb 2005

I will laugh my ass off if Jerry Jones gets in before Ralph Wilson does.

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
                            • May 2005

Re: Preliminary HOF Class of 2008 list is out, Bennett, Hull, Reed, Smerlas, Talley..

Originally posted by gr8slayer
                            I will laugh my ass off if Jerry Jones gets in before Ralph Wilson does.

But I'm sure you've got it bookmarked already...

Comment

• gr8slayer
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by BlackMetalNinja
                              http://www.dallascowboyfansunited.com/forums/

But I'm sure you've got it bookmarked already...
                              Wow, that's a pretty nice looking site. Thanks for the link

Comment

Working...
                              X