PDA

View Full Version : Start the Palestinian Pistol Now!

Meathead
10-31-2007, 05:34 PM
Look out Savior, here comes Gibran Hamdan: the Palestinian Pistol

They don't come much more American in terms of values and personal background than [Bills] quarterback Gibran Hamdan, which is what his father intended even when work called the family back to the Middle East in 1984.

Latif Hamdan, a Palestinian, got offered a job by the Kuwaiti Institute of Scientific Research, and saw it as an opportunity to move his family closer to his native homeland. At the time, Hamdan and his wife, Laila, lived in San Diego and Gibran was just 3.

Gibran, now 26, immersed himself from a very young age in the three most popular sports among all American kids – baseball, basketball and football – during his formative years spent in Kuwait, and his best friends also were Americans from places like Texas and Georgia. He had a chance to learn more about the Middle Eastern culture his father was raised in while attending the American School of Kuwait.

But when Gibran was 9 and back in San Diego on vacation, his family's future was drastically altered, as was that of Kuwait's. On August 2, 1990, under the order of their leader Saddam Hussein, more than 100,000 Iraqi soldiers and 700 tanks invaded Kuwait.

"We never went back because there was nothing to go back to," Gibran recalls. "Money was gone, our house was gone. Everything vanished into thin air. We knew family members and friends that were in the vicinity or around when the invasion happened, but it obviously became a very difficult thing to communicate with them to see where they ended up."

Since President George W. Bush authorized the invasion of Iraq in March of 2003, Gibran has been sought out by teammates in Washington, Seattle, San Francisco and now Miami [and Buffalo] for help in understanding the people of Iraq. It's something he doesn't mind discussing, but he's quick to remind those asking the questions that his view isn't any different than theirs.

"I'm cautious initially and I've warned them that my point of view is very Americanized considering my parents raised me that way and wanted me to be American," Gibran says. "But I do have an idea a little bit of the thought process in those countries. My father was born and raised in Palestine and it's a difficult thing. Actually, the teammates that ask me are usually the ones that have a good perspective on it because they are open to finding out.

"I think that's the key thing. As we move forward as a country and as the public wants to look over there and decide what we should do or not do, I think the key to it is being open to another culture. Yeah, maybe somebody's different than you, that doesn't necessarily make them wrong. Now they could be, in your eyes, but in their eyes they look at it totally differently, and if anything my travels have shown me that."

To that end, Gibran feels the biggest misconception about the Middle East is that there is something culturally wrong with the Middle Eastern culture. He believes it is important to recognize that there is beauty and goodness in all cultures or else they wouldn't exist.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/newsite/news/top_story.asp?contentID=5293

just be sure to check the soles of his cleats before he takes the field

if he throws a hail mary should we call it a suicide bomb

if he plays in an overtime game dont mention sudden death

edwards has installed a checkpoint in front of his locker

dadum bum i got a million of em

PECKERWOOD
10-31-2007, 05:51 PM
ahahaha nice Meathead! :up:

Mahdi
11-01-2007, 07:42 AM
ya haha real funny... some great racist material right there.

Meathead
11-01-2007, 07:46 AM
yep thats what i am. racist. mh the big racist. you nailed that one. nice job

mybills
11-01-2007, 07:53 AM
c'mon Mahdi, according to the article, even Gibran would laugh.

Romes
11-01-2007, 07:56 AM
good thing he doesn't play for the jets.

mybills
11-01-2007, 08:02 AM
OMG!!!! :rofl: Romes!!!!

DraftBoy
11-01-2007, 08:02 AM
GIBRAL BALL!!!!!

Mahdi
11-01-2007, 08:04 AM
c'mon Mahdi, according to the article, even Gibran would laugh.
Highly doubt that...

Mahdi
11-01-2007, 08:04 AM
ok ya yer right,,,, its not racist at all....

trapezeus
11-01-2007, 08:23 AM
i'd side with Mahdi on this one. i think Hamden is seeking greater understanding and doesn't exactly want to be refered to as a terrorist.

Wraith
11-01-2007, 08:56 AM
It remains to be seen whether you personally are or are not a racist but what you wrote certainly is. How is this any different from saying "Start the slave" in reference to an African American or "Start the migrant farm worker" in reference to J.P. Losman? The topic line is bad enough but why did you have to stick in multiple terrorist jokes right after Hamden is quoted as saying this:

"But I do have an idea a little bit of the thought process in those countries. My father was born and raised in Palestine and it's a difficult thing. Actually, the teammates that ask me are usually the ones that have a good perspective on it because they are open to finding out.

"I think that's the key thing. As we move forward as a country and as the public wants to look over there and decide what we should do or not do, I think the key to it is being open to another culture."

That's just poor taste, man. The fact that mods have posted in this thread without admonishing you is both troubling and embarassing.

camelcowboy
11-01-2007, 09:05 AM
:couch:

Dude
11-01-2007, 09:11 AM
It remains to be seen whether you personally are or are not a racist but what you wrote certainly is. How is this any different from saying "Start the slave" in reference to an African American or "Start the migrant farm worker" in reference to J.P. Losman? The topic line is bad enough but why did you have to stick in multiple terrorist jokes right after Hamden is quoted as saying this:

"But I do have an idea a little bit of the thought process in those countries. My father was born and raised in Palestine and it's a difficult thing. Actually, the teammates that ask me are usually the ones that have a good perspective on it because they are open to finding out.

"I think that's the key thing. As we move forward as a country and as the public wants to look over there and decide what we should do or not do, I think the key to it is being open to another culture."

That's just poor taste, man. The fact that mods have posted in this thread without admonishing you is both troubling and embarassing.Actually, only one mod posted here.

Point taken about the tone of the opening post. Let's consider the objections raised and move on. :up:

Mahdi
11-01-2007, 09:15 AM
Ya its interesting how calling a poster or post stupid gets mod attention real fast for "attacking a poster" but blatent racism is ok.

DraftBoy
11-01-2007, 09:16 AM
Actually, only one mod posted here.

Point taken about the tone of the opening post. Let's consider the objections raised and move on. :up:

:wave:

And I apologize for letting this go, however having spoken with MH on other parts of the board about similar type things, I understand his tone and allow me to assure you that he is not a racist, however Dude is right in retrospect the tone could use to be knocked down a little bit.

DraftBoy
11-01-2007, 09:18 AM
Ya its interesting how calling a poster or post stupid gets mod attention real fast for "attacking a poster" but blatent racism is ok.

Again the situation has been dealt with

mikemac2001
11-01-2007, 09:29 AM
Meathead is racist againist grover

TigerJ
11-01-2007, 12:23 PM
It was my understanding in reading Meathead's post that his intent was the ridicule of those who actually think like that. There are people who would say those things and mean them. I don't think Meathead really does.

trapezeus
11-01-2007, 12:26 PM
i don't think of Meathead as a racist. i was just saying, the original title of the post was a little insensitive. A lot of Bills fans comes from different backgrounds. And they read this board. No point in making it uncomfortable because you are born to look one way or the other. we're all desperate to see this team succeed.

Anyways, i think the mods did a good job in fixing everything. And personally, even though Hamden probably won't go anywhere in the NFL, it's pretty amazing that he's made it to the NFL without playing in the US for periods of time. That's a lot of natural skill he has.

Mahdi
11-01-2007, 12:27 PM
It was my understanding in reading Meathead's post that his intent was the ridicule of those who actually think like that. There are people who would say those things and mean them. I don't think Meathead really does.
Certainly possible and giving the benefit of the doubt is certainly the best way to go,,,, but if yer not clear about the tone of what your saying, the words alone will invoke an angered response from many.

Meathead
11-01-2007, 01:14 PM
a) it is impossible to be racist if you manifest true agape love in your mind and heart. those two things are mutually exclusive. guess which one i am

2) words alone are not racist. they must be accompanied by a racist intent to make them offensive. they are only words and have no magic powers on their own. you may project power into them but that doesnt make the source of the words responsible for your projection

iv) it is destructive to be lazy in your interpretation. by jumping to conclusions you perpetuate the same kind of behavior that lets people justify real racism, like isiah thomas saying white people cant use the word ***** or marion barry claiming its racist to bust him for smoking crack with a ho or this ridiculous idea thats popular now that blacks cant be racist cuz they dont have power

you are contributing to and enabling our current practice of doing things exactly backwards when it comes to race. stop seeing racism where it doesnt exist and start condemning it where it really does by being proactive in your interpretation. you must be descerning when you read or listen. ask yourself why you assume malevolence when it would have been just as easy to assume benevolence. if you cant do that then how hard would it have been to just ask. become part of the solution instead of part of the problem

if you think shoving words in the closet is going to solve this problem ask yourself hows it been working for the last forty years

im not gonna stop sewing these seeds just because it offends your tender insensibilities

proactive. descerning. responsible. agape

namaste

Meathead
11-01-2007, 01:17 PM
the title was start the terrorist now and should be restored

not gonna make a big deal out of it but consider this a semi silent protest

evolve now

HHURRICANE
11-01-2007, 01:18 PM
I called Losman a "burrito slinger" and I was called a racist.

I think Meathead was having a little fun, lets chill around here.

Meathead
11-01-2007, 01:19 PM
fun yeah its also teaching im showing the world love by doing this

Mahdi
11-01-2007, 01:25 PM
a) it is impossible to be racist if you manifest true agape love in your mind and heart. those two things are mutually exclusive. guess which one i am

2) words alone are not racist. they must be accompanied by a racist intent to make them offensive. they are only words and have no magic powers on their own. you may project power into them but that doesnt make the source of the words responsible for your projection

iv) it is destructive to be lazy in your interpretation. by jumping to conclusions you perpetuate the same kind of behavior that lets people justify real racism, like isiah thomas saying white people cant use the word ***** or marion barry claiming its racist to bust him for smoking crack with a ho or this ridiculous idea thats popular now that blacks cant be racist cuz they dont have power

you are contributing to and enabling our current practice of doing things exactly backwards when it comes to race. stop seeing racism where it doesnt exist and start condemning it where it really does by being proactive in your interpretation. you must be descerning when you read or listen. ask yourself why you assume malevolence when it would have been just as easy to assume benevolence. if you cant do that then how hard would it have been to just ask. become part of the solution instead of part of the problem

if you think shoving words in the closet is going to solve this problem ask yourself hows it been working for the last forty years

im not gonna stop sewing these seeds just because it offends your tender insensibilities

proactive. descerning. responsible. agape

namaste
So you're the one who starts a thread equating our Arab QB to a terrorist and im in the wrong?

Did you read the part about how giving you the benefit of the doubt is the right thing to do??

My point is that you have to be careful with your words on a message board that ppl of different ethnicities post on. Many ppl wont see the humour in it.

Im pretty sure if I started a thread about how most white players in the NFL are just "high motor" I would get blasted. And rightfully so.

Sorry but there is no benevolence in your post whatsoever.... not sure how exactly im supposed to assume benevolence in a post like that.

Mahdi
11-01-2007, 01:26 PM
fun yeah its also teaching im showing the world love by doing this
Ok maybe you can kindly explain what your intention was behind your thread then cause I dont get it at all.....

Meathead
11-01-2007, 01:34 PM
you know id like to help you but ive said pretty much all i can. your filter processes things one way and mine does another so saying anything now will be just repeating myself. im proposing you change your filter and be proactive in defining how it works

let me ask you do you find this funny or offensive:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TYBjAggPXf4&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TYBjAggPXf4&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

mybills
11-01-2007, 01:36 PM
I can't stand this PC world! Lighten up people! :shakeno:
Meathead is FAR from a racist.

DraftBoy
11-01-2007, 01:40 PM
Chappelle Show is very good at what it does

Meathead
11-01-2007, 01:42 PM
lmao man that one of the funniest bits ive ever seen in my life. one of my all time favorites ever

uses extremely offensive stereotypes and phrases. yet how can one deny that it teaches us an extremely important lesson, that words are just words and they need intent to become destructive. he mixes real racism with nonracism brilliantly to parody the ridiculousness of our hidden and overt racism

'jennys got a date tonight with that ni@@ar boy.'

'oh god no!'

'no daddy thats his name, timmy ni@@ar.'

man thats some brilliant ***t right there

Mahdi
11-01-2007, 01:51 PM
You know what,,, whatever,,,, you say yer not racist,,, fine,,,, but if I had created a similar thread outlining the stereotypes of a black QB everyone would call me racist,,,,, simple as that.

Im not sure what type of reaction you expected.

Meathead
11-01-2007, 02:13 PM
edit: oops sorry wrong person

Mahdi
11-01-2007, 02:23 PM
See thats my point right there,,,,,, you start a thread that is potentially and probably offensive and now yer blaming others for their reaction. This is a message board not everyone knows you or know about your soul saving mission which apparently involves these type of threads. Maybe Wraith knows you and he still didnt like what you had to say. What about those who dont know you? how do you think we are supposed to react? And then you back it up with a whole bunch of cryptic talk of saving souls and teaching love???

Gimme a break. You may not be racist but you sure as heck made an effort.

Meathead
11-01-2007, 02:30 PM
wraith and tj have the same avatar and i thought it was tj attacking me. i take medication that makes me irritable and i got really worked up when i thought tj was saying the things wraith said because tj knows me. when i realized my mistake i edited my post as above. i shoulda known better anyway but i admit i flipped out a bit and was very offended. i apologize to you and wraith and tj for my error

like i said, if somebody doesnt know me i can see why they might jump to a conclusion but thats the point, you shouldnt jump to conclusions because if you do youre contributing to the problem. racism if so ***king stupid and we should know better by now not to do it. i campaign against it by pointing out how absurd it is using racial stereotypes and epithets, just like dave chappel. i just dont have a show

Gunzlingr
11-01-2007, 02:30 PM
you know id like to help you but ive said pretty much all i can. your filter processes things one way and mine does another so saying anything now will be just repeating myself. im proposing you change your filter and be proactive in defining how it works

let me ask you do you find this funny or offensive:

<OBJECT height=355 width=425>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TYBjAggPXf4&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></OBJECT></P>
I prefer Clayton Bigsby myself.

Mahdi
11-01-2007, 02:32 PM
wraith and tj have the same avatar and i thought it was tj attacking me. i take medication that makes me irritable and i got really worked up when i thought tj was saying the things wraith said because tj knows me. when i realized my mistake i edited my post as above. i shoulda known better anyway but i admit i flipped out a bit and was very offended. i apologize to you and wraith and tj for my error

like i said, if somebody doesnt know me i can see why they might jump to a conclusion but thats the point, you shouldnt jump to conclusions because if you do youre contributing to the problem. racism if so ***king stupid and we should know better by now not to do it. i campaign against it by pointing out how absurd it is using racial stereotypes and epithets, just like dave chappel. i just dont have a show
Fair enough!

Wraith
11-01-2007, 02:35 PM
Maybe Wraith knows you and he still didnt like what you had to say. What about those who dont know you? how do you think we are supposed to react?
I don't know a thing about him and that was my point. The funny thing is that the thing that offended him, saying "it remains to be seen whether he is or is not a racist," was me trying to be diplomatic and avoid calling him a racist outright while pointing out that his words alone can be racist. He claims that words alone cannot be racist but rely on intent to be hurtful, which in some sense is definitely true, but definitely NOT ON A MESSAGE BOARD where words are ALL WE HAVE. Even then, all I said was that it was in poor taste. There's nothing to apologize for.

Meathead
11-01-2007, 02:40 PM
yeah a lot of people love that bigsby sketch but its not one of my favs. i guess the idea of a blind black man being a klan leader is funny because he doesnt realize hes black. but you know for that i like the character uncle rukus on boondocks better cuz he knows hes black and still hates black people. i love his white jesus preacher bit

that boondocks show is so friggen awesome. have you seen the latest ones where they talk about black people having a 'ni@@a moment'? its about when black men get so crazy and violent when they are challenged they end up hurting or killing each other. grandad ends up killing a mean old black blind man in a fight over nuthin (fender bender in parking lot). then the oreo attorney next door ends up getting possessed by the dead guys spirit. uncle rukus performs the exorcism in his black hating ways. its hilarious, extremely racism, and highly educational. whenever i watch that show i always hope black people like it and are getting the message

Meathead
11-01-2007, 02:51 PM
so do yall get it now?

of course hes not a terrorist. his father comes from palestine, they are arabs, possibly muslim, and lots of idiots would assume they are terrorist lovers or whatever, especially a couple years ago when we were so mired in this anti-arab post 9/11 freakout fest

of course hes not a terrorist thats absurd. thats the point

and why in the hell would i pull this out of a very long article and put it in my initial post:

"As we move forward as a country and as the public wants to look over there and decide what we should do or not do, I think the key to it is being open to another culture. Yeah, maybe somebody's different than you, that doesn't necessarily make them wrong. Now they could be, in your eyes, but in their eyes they look at it totally differently, and if anything my travels have shown me that."

To that end, Gibran feels the biggest misconception about the Middle East is that there is something culturally wrong with the Middle Eastern culture. He believes it is important to recognize that there is beauty and goodness in all cultures or else they wouldn't exist.

because i wanted to highlight it of course because i thought it was very important

see what i mean?

if you hadnt immediately jumped to a conclusion you could have put two and two together - even if you never read another post of mine in your life

and even if you had your doubts you coulda said hey meathead that sounds kinda racist to me can you explain why you did that

but no, you immediately got on your horse and started riding. i believe that contributes directly to the problem we have with racism and politicial correctness. pc hasnt done a damn thing in forty years. here we stand with still far too much real racism and self-segregation and tension and hostility among races. its so ***king stupid its mind boggling

these people are your brothers and sisters and if youre not gonna get the message by being polite and pc then im gonna start whacking you over the head with ridiculous false racism to try to get you to open your eyes

just like dave chappell. just like the boondocks. i guess i need to get a show

Mahdi
11-01-2007, 04:34 PM
so do yall get it now?

of course hes not a terrorist. his father comes from palestine, they are arabs, possibly muslim, and lots of idiots would assume they are terrorist lovers or whatever, especially a couple years ago when we were so mired in this anti-arab post 9/11 freakout fest

of course hes not a terrorist thats absurd. thats the point

and why in the hell would i pull this out of a very long article and put it in my initial post:

because i wanted to highlight it of course because i thought it was very important

see what i mean?

if you hadnt immediately jumped to a conclusion you could have put two and two together - even if you never read another post of mine in your life

and even if you had your doubts you coulda said hey meathead that sounds kinda racist to me can you explain why you did that

but no, you immediately got on your horse and started riding. i believe that contributes directly to the problem we have with racism and politicial correctness. pc hasnt done a damn thing in forty years. here we stand with still far too much real racism and self-segregation and tension and hostility among races. its so ***king stupid its mind boggling

these people are your brothers and sisters and if youre not gonna get the message by being polite and pc then im gonna start whacking you over the head with ridiculous false racism to try to get you to open your eyes

just like dave chappell. just like the boondocks. i guess i need to get a show
Agreed. My apologies.

Meathead
11-01-2007, 04:49 PM
:up: awesome

Mitchy moo
11-01-2007, 05:02 PM
:up: awesome

:crush: