• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Devin
    The Octagon
    • Apr 2003

Thoughts about Coaching.....specifically DJ

Now dont get me wrong I have never been a fan of the hiring.

But Considering we have what.......9 players on IR.........another 5-6 injured, we have 2nd and 3rd stringers starting and we have been in all but 2 games.

Plus arent we one of the least penalized teams in the NFL? Like top 10 or something.

I'm not saying the guy should be up for coach of the year or anything, and yes at times the play calling is suspect and frustrating. But I guess under the circumstances ive cut him some slack. Last year and this year weve played better ball then almost any of us expected.
    http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Re: Thoughts about Coaching.....specifically DJ

I'll give Jauron one thing.

His players never quit on him. I think he's a good teacher. He'd probably be a GREAT COLLEGE coach.

But I think he's overmatched in terms of playcalling and decision making in the NFL.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Disagree completely.

We've had hardly any injuries on offense and poured a ton of money into the OL, yet the offense is still struggling.

And if it wasn't for the suspect play calling, we'd be MUCH better than any of us expected. And he makes the same mistakes week after week. And he can't make a decision to save his life.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• mchurchfie
        • Jul 2002

He is obviously a very good motivator as witnessed by how hard his players play for him. His achilles heel is his ultra-conservative approach to everything and his gameday coaching.
        My Band
        daveviterna.com

Comment

• HHURRICANE
          • Mar 2005

I'll say it again. When we hired Jauron there was not a better choice available.

You've seen what you get with first time head coaches so I never, ever, want to go through that again.

I think the opinion of Jauron outside of Buffalo is much better than here. We don't have alot of talent and he's got them playing very hard.

Fairchild has not impressed me at all and I hope he gets fired after the season is over.

But all in all I like Jauron. We may have to make a change if this team is ever in real contention but for now he's a good choice.

Comment

• The King
            Without me it's just Awe so
            • Jun 2004

Jauron is a deffensive guy and he has produced a solid defense out of a less than stellar cast. I commend him on that. We have drafted well under his tenure and maybe he will suprise some people
            I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
            "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
            You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
            It was all
            true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
            He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
            mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
              Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

I like Dick!

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
                I like Dick!
                what does that have to do with our coaches? Homo.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Elminster
                  #1 Kelsay Fan
                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by MBBedard
                  Jauron is a deffensive guy and he has produced a solid defense out of a less than stellar cast. I commend him on that. We have drafted well under his tenure and maybe he will suprise some people
                  Jauron isn't making the picks. He does have input(as any HC should), but he doesn't make the final decision, and I doubt his opinion carries as much weight as Modrak's. While our defense is good, our offense is putrid.

What really signifies his poor coaching is his clock management. His poor crunch-time decisions and/or his complete unwillingness to give signals to his coordinators. His unwillingness to admit his staff has issues(look at his stint in Chicago.) I'm uncertain that he has learned much, if anything, for that stint. I am glad we hired him because he has given us a motivated squad, but from what I have seen, I seriously question his ability to lead us any farther than this. Fewell is a keeper, as is much of the staff, but I don't think DJ has the risk assessment or the decisiveness to be a winner as a coach in the NFL.
                  Good riddance Fairchild. Of course, the knowledge of your departure will only make TE more hateable than the typical Bills QB. Good luck, hope we don't mess you up like JP.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                    Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
                    what does that have to do with our coaches? Homo.
                    ...not that there's anything wrong with that!

Comment

• Michael82
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
                      I like Dick!

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by patmoran2006

His players never quit on him. I think he's a good teacher. He'd probably be a GREAT COLLEGE coach.
                        Clap clap. I'll also throw in game-planning, as we very rarely get blown out, usually seem to have a good approach to each opponent, and are almost always competitive to the final whistle. And I have no problem with what he's doing with our defense -- in fact even the national media is giving him a lot of credit for that.

Unfortunately I also more or less agree with you on your second point. While I wouldn't say he's a terrible play caller, I do agree that he's "overmatched" by a lot of other coaches. He's got significant strengths, but that's a weakness, and unfortunately one that I think might be the difference in the close games we keep losing.

On the whole, I can't say any other coach available when DJ was hired would be doing any better right now, and i like the classy organization he and Marv are putting together. I just sincerely hope he can come up with answer to the offensive woes, whether its better playcalling, run-blocking or whatever. Without an offense that we can count on to score at least 15-20 points a game, we're screwed.
                        Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• acehole
                          • Jan 2006

Agreed.
                          ....and the D coodinater is doing better as well.
                          now if we could only get rid off Fairchild....

Originally posted by Devin
                          Now dont get me wrong I have never been a fan of the hiring.

But Considering we have what.......9 players on IR.........another 5-6 injured, we have 2nd and 3rd stringers starting and we have been in all but 2 games.

Plus arent we one of the least penalized teams in the NFL? Like top 10 or something.

I'm not saying the guy should be up for coach of the year or anything, and yes at times the play calling is suspect and frustrating. But I guess under the circumstances ive cut him some slack. Last year and this year weve played better ball then almost any of us expected.
                          Hated by the stupid..
                          Loved by their moms.

Comment

• YardRat
                            Well, lookie here...
                            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by patmoran2006

But I think he's overmatched in terms of playcalling and decision making in the NFL.
                            How much 'play-calling' do you think Jauron actually does?
                            YardRat Wall of Fame
                            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• acehole
                              • Jan 2006

I dont know about that...I liked the guy from GB.
                              Jurons 12-4 season was with the one of the NFL's weakest scheduals.....

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                              I'll say it again. When we hired Jauron there was not a better choice available.

You've seen what you get with first time head coaches so I never, ever, want to go through that again.

I think the opinion of Jauron outside of Buffalo is much better than here. We don't have alot of talent and he's got them playing very hard.

Fairchild has not impressed me at all and I hope he gets fired after the season is over.

But all in all I like Jauron. We may have to make a change if this team is ever in real contention but for now he's a good choice.
                              Hated by the stupid..
                              Loved by their moms.

Comment

Working...
                              X