PDA

View Full Version : Article: Digi making name for himself

The Answer
11-01-2007, 08:03 PM
Digi aka The Italian Wrecking Ball is making a splash.......

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AvlsCCzD.wdAIAV.uAP2_EzllboF?slug=ap-bills-digiorgio&prov=ap&type=lgns

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=yspsctnhdln>Bills LB DiGiorgio making name for himself and Saginaw Valley State

</TD></TR><TR><TD height=7><SPACER type="block" width="1" height="1"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><STYLE type=text/css> td.yspwidearticlebody { font-size: 13.5px; }</STYLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=yspwidearticlebody>By JOHN WAWROW, AP Sports Writer
November 1, 2007
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) -- Bills defensive coordinator Perry Fewell and his staff were brainstorming recently, when they decided to name a play in honor of middle linebacker John DiGiorgio (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/8032/;_ylt=AifhFiXPBKIPeTBfEfNsbjAdsLYF).

Traditionally, the name is drawn from the player's college program, which is when Fewell ran into a roadblock: No one knew Saginaw Valley State's nickname. And by the time someone got around to checking the school's Web site, it was too late.

"Now, I keep asking him, 'What's your mascot?"' Fewell said, with a big laugh this week.

For the record, the Division II Michigan-based program is called the Cardinals, a little-known school that's suddenly on the NFL map because of DiGiorgio.
He's the undrafted free agent who, in his second season, has capably taken over as the Bills starter after rookie second-round draft pick Paul Posluszny (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/8288/;_ylt=Ai1qUj4aT4Mohk_iPgzBWGgdsLYF) from Penn State -- broke his left forearm in Week 3.

"My hat's off to (DiGiorgio) because I've put more on him this season than I did on 'Poz' or London Fletcher (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/4539/;_ylt=AjuHntPXWM_Xk1ow.wfWLewdsLYF)," Fewell said, referring to Fletcher, the Bills former starter who signed with Washington last spring. "We expanded when John came in, and I knew that we could do that because John would do exactly what you said. ... So he's enabled us to be able to do what we're doing right now."

DiGiorgio has been on a roll since stepping in.....................................

~The Answer

Luisito23
11-01-2007, 08:07 PM
I'm loving what John is doing for this team!!!.....

GO BILLS!!!!!!!

Saratoga Slim
11-01-2007, 08:10 PM
can he play weakside? If he keeps improving, I'd like to see him, Poz, and Crowell on the field at the same time. unless we come up with a real bad ass LB from somewhere else in the offseason, I think DiGiorgio is the 3rd best LB on our roster.

The last buffalo fan
11-01-2007, 08:57 PM
:bf1: that's my boy!!!! Go DiGio, Go Bills!!!!!!!!!! :up:

acehole
11-01-2007, 09:25 PM
He is playing well enough to keep his job... put poz on the outside next year poz, digi and Cowell

GO BILLS!!!!!!!

John Doe
11-01-2007, 09:42 PM
Ya gotta love this kid.

Jaybird
11-01-2007, 10:03 PM
poz will stay in the middle, he wont be the one moving outside

PECKERWOOD
11-01-2007, 11:56 PM
poz will stay in the middle, he wont be the one moving outside

Why not? Poz was a good OLB before moving to MLB.

acehole
11-02-2007, 07:07 AM

not to mention it will reduce injuries and improve our pass rush.

Pride
11-02-2007, 07:11 AM
Poz is one of those rare talents that you dont put on the outside. You put him in the middle to hopefully anchor your D for the next 10 years.

Digi is definitely playing well... but I think OLB would be better for the team when Poz returns next year.

acehole
11-02-2007, 07:19 AM
Poz is one of those rare talents that you dont put on the outside. You put him in the middle to hopefully anchor your D for the next 10 years.

Digi is definitely playing well... but I think OLB would be better for the team when Poz returns next year.

fine then he will play 25% of his career...the rest in rehab.

HHURRICANE
11-02-2007, 07:38 AM
DiGorgio has impressed the heck out of me. He looked terrible in pre-season but has really developed nicely. With Ellison on the bench next year as a decent backup our D should actully start to look good.

acehole
11-02-2007, 08:11 AM
DiGorgio has impressed the heck out of me. He looked terrible in pre-season but has really developed nicely. With Ellison on the bench next year as a decent backup our D should actully start to look good.

Do you think digi could play outside?

madness
11-02-2007, 08:23 AM

...because he's just as fast as DiGi but bigger and better at run support.

bigbub2352
11-02-2007, 08:44 AM
Dig has shocked me, i am very glad he is playing as well as he is, i think he will definetly be moved to Ellison spot once Poz can play again, size dont matter in the Cover 2, and he can put on 5-10lbs this offseason cause he is 6'2, so he would be bigger than Ellison is, Either way it is nice to see a small school product bring passion and tanasity to our young D

OpIv37
11-02-2007, 08:46 AM
DiGiorgio is a downgrade from Poz but he's been playing solid the last few games. He struggled a little at first, yet seems to improve every game.

colin
11-02-2007, 09:39 AM

umm, in general your outside LB (Will mostly) is your best play maker on D. the money MLB is a function of having DTs screen blockers off of him. even urlacher in chicago is 12+ yards behind the LOS because of his safety/rover play @ new mexico.

imo we really could go either way, but if dipizza really does improve damien covington style (that guy went from like a 5.5 to an 8.75 in about one season) then poz on the outside would be fine. crow could easily play will for us (pretty good in space) so having pizza and poz closer to the phone booth on runs would be nice.

Wys Guy
11-02-2007, 09:49 AM

GO BILLS!!!!!!!

Yeah, our 4.7 yards-per-carry average against us is certainly impresive.

:sigh:

Wys Guy
11-02-2007, 09:52 AM
I have to say that Bills fans must be the only fans in the world where their team ranks all but categorically, if not categorically, below average in every significant statistical indicator and among the few worst teams in most of the really important ones, yet fans still actually and truly believe that nothing bad that happens to the team is the actual fault of the team or its poor play, poorly being run, or that their team is simply just bad.

I know many do, but so many others are in such extreme denial. It is amusing, but it's also inexplicable.

justasportsfan
11-02-2007, 09:55 AM
Yeah, our 4.7 yards-per-carry average against us is certainly impresive.

:sigh:
we're tied so far. ;)

Wys Guy
11-02-2007, 09:57 AM
DiGiorgio is a downgrade from Poz but he's been playing solid the last few games. He struggled a little at first, yet seems to improve every game.

DiGiorgio has overachieved from a status where absolutely nothing was expected. In that way he's a "nice feel-good story" but little else. He's anything but a solid MLB, he's far too small to play the position in the NFL today, and he's done nothing impressive and is a below averge player easily.

Sure, it's nice that he isn't a complete bust, but he has no particular strength and is a classic overachiever who on a good day provides average play, usually worse.

justasportsfan
11-02-2007, 09:58 AM
DiGiorgio is a downgrade from Poz .
based on performance, no. DiG is better at pass coverage and I can't say he's less than PoZ against the run. He's been in the backfield a lot and making tackles for losses.

Potentially , POZ has the advantage down the road because of his size.

Wys Guy
11-02-2007, 09:59 AM
we're tied so far. ;)

Oh, I have confidence!

Wanna double up?

The only wager that I've made that I don't feel good about is that I wagered Lechter that McCargo would suffer another injury to the same foot that he had surgery on. That's a Hunter's Hope wager however so I won't mind opening my checkbook for that one should it not happen.

Otherwise, I feel highly confident. We haven't even hit the bad weather yet. ;)

Wys Guy
11-02-2007, 10:00 AM
based on performance, no. DiG is better at pass coverage and I can't say he's less than PoZ against the run. He's been in the backfield a lot and making tackles for losses.

Potentially , POZ has the advantage down the road because of his size.

BTW, will be up in Roch/Buff week of Thanksgiving and may go to NE game. To see the Pats naturally. :D And only if the weather's not sh&%y.

Let's get together for some wings.

justasportsfan
11-02-2007, 10:00 AM
Oh, I have confidence!

Wanna double up?

The only wager that I've made that I don't feel good about is that I wagered Lechter that McCargo would suffer another injury to the same foot that he had surgery on. That's a Hunter's Hope wager however so I won't mind opening my checkbook for that one should it not happen.

Otherwise, I feel highly confident. We haven't even hit the bad weather yet. ;)
we'll keep it as is. Injury has been on your side. Otherwise I don't think we would've been at 4.7 due to the first 3 games.

justasportsfan
11-02-2007, 10:01 AM
BTW, will be up in Roch/Buff week of Thanksgiving and may go to NE game. To see the Pats naturally. :D And only if the weather's not sh&%y.

Let's get together for some wings.
:up:

Wys Guy
11-02-2007, 10:02 AM
we'll keep it as is. Injury has been on your side. Otherwise I don't think we would've been at 4.7 due to the first 3 games.

Our injuries have been inconsequential. There isn't a player in the bunch that would have made a difference except for maybe Poz down the line.

Most of our remaining games are against top-half rushing teams too.

justasportsfan
11-02-2007, 10:06 AM
Our injuries have been inconsequential. There isn't a player in the bunch that would have made a difference except for maybe Poz down the line.

Seems to me the healthier we get the less teams are able to run against us. We're slightly ahead against the run compared to last year. The first 3 games hurt my nos.

Romes
11-02-2007, 10:06 AM
He reminds me of Holecek.

John Doe
11-02-2007, 02:14 PM

Losing 4 starters for the year and 5 key subs for an extended period of time is "inconsequential?!"

You cannot be serious.