PDA

View Full Version : 1st round pick: Trade It!

DraftBoy
03-27-2003, 09:16 PM
With all the signings that have been going in here in B-Lo. I dont see the impact player we need at any posistion that is worthy of the 23rd pick. As I have said before I wouldnt mind seeing us take Mike Doss FS Ohio St. But he is a risky pick. I dont think it is wise to take an OL first because they want big contracts and I dont want to be paying a million or two to a backup. Dt could be a wise investment but by the time we pick we will be picking a DT that could possibly be had in the 2nd round. De unless Jerome McDougal is there I wouldnt take Corey Redding b/c he could always be had early round 2. I just find it hard going to find a player I want to pay millions to who may sit on the bench for a year or two.

The Spaz
03-27-2003, 09:25 PM
You don't look at a lot of draft mags do you billszone draft expert? Whoever we get with the 23rd pick is going to get playing time. Especially if we select a DE or DT. Gerald Haynes and Kenny Peterson could be available in that slot. The Buffalo Bills have a very fine draft record and select quality players who most of them contribute right away.Since TD came to us in 2001 he and his staff have produced 8 starters for us. The record speakes for itself. Go Bills!

Cokehead Dubya
03-27-2003, 09:29 PM
If you want to trade that pick, what do you trade it for? You're not going to get an impact player for the pick, either. Might as well draft and develop somebody.

venis2k1
03-27-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Winfield_26
. As I have said before I wouldnt mind seeing us take Mike Doss FS Ohio St.

For the millionth time...Mike Doss is a SS!!!! I would think a Draft expert would know that. We dont need a SS.

Dozerdog
03-27-2003, 09:46 PM
I wouldn't mind trading it for Charles Woodson.

Imagine him in the nickle, and in some defenses you could use Clements at the FS

casdhf
03-27-2003, 10:05 PM
I'd rather have Winfield at FS than Clements

Bert102176
03-27-2003, 11:00 PM
wonder if the Raiders would trade bothe their 1st round picks to us to move up

The Spaz
03-27-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by venis2k1

For the millionth time...Mike Doss is a SS!!!! I would think a Draft expert would know that. We dont need a SS.

All I know is that this guy has made quite a few mistakes about players coming out of the draft. I say we make him remove his billszone resident draft expert name. I do way better than he does and I don't proclaim to be an expert...lol:)! Go Bills!

simpletask400
03-28-2003, 08:42 AM
We went through all this PP trade drama just to get the first round pick back to trade it? that doesn't make any sense, to me at least.

We have decent depth, we need the impact players.
Kelly Washington looks good, with size and speed, he's compared to Randy Moss.

You may say we have Reed, but Moulds isn't going to be around forever.

If its not a WR at 23, than its DLINE, and I don't see TD trading down past Indy, who is right behind us at 24.

Stewie
03-28-2003, 09:09 AM
If TD thinks he can get an impact player at a lower spot, and we get an extra pick by trading down, then I say go for it. Remember when a lot of people wanted to draft Kenyatta Walker, and we traded down 8 spots and got Clements instead. Then we used that extra pick for Brandon Spoon, who proved vital when Cowart went down. (Then again, I suppose when you're 3-13, no one is really "vital").

bills/deacs
03-28-2003, 09:43 AM
I think the extra pick acquired in that Tampa deal was their second, which turned out to be Travis Henry (slightly better than Spoon).

TedMock
03-28-2003, 12:57 PM
Love Doss too but I don't think he has the speed to make the transition to FS. Otherwise I'd say give it a shot. I think they will and should go DT or DE, DT preferably. Get a guy in there to give the starters a break and groom him for a couple of years via regular rotation. If Adams or PW get inured we'll need quality or else we could be looking at last year again. They're also not young anymore and aren't looking at that many more years.

DraftBoy
03-28-2003, 02:49 PM
The Sporting News magazine has him posted as a FS, secondly Gerald Hayes and Kenny Peterson will be late round reaches at #23, both could be had probably early round 2 if we really tried to get them, plus to draft a DT with our 1st pick makes no sense to me as he will be #3 with two very capable possibel probowl Dt's ahead of him. The only DE's I like in the 1st round are McDougal and Redding. McDougal would be a steal at 23, but as for Redding he too could possibly fall to deeper in round 1. My suggestion is make a trade to moce us to low round 1 28-31, and then pick up and ectra 3rd or 4th round pick as there is great depth in this draft at the multiple posistions which we need. possible guys I like late in round 1 are: Mathis, Doss, Redding.

And finally to Spaz if you have a problem with me or my draft thinkings the you can talk to me personally on PM not try and make a fool of me or my posts.

The Spaz
03-28-2003, 02:58 PM
Dude you need to chill out I wasn't being serious good lord man. Go Bills!

Throne Logic
03-28-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Chokehead
If you want to trade that pick, what do you trade it for? You're not going to get an impact player for the pick, either. Might as well draft and develop somebody.

Peerless Price was traded for the #23 overall, in fact it was this exact #23 . . . He's something of a potential impact player.

Drew Bledsoe was also traded for a #1 pick. Granted it turned out to be the #14, but the Pats didn't know that last year. I could have been much worse.

I am certain that TD will look into the posibility of trading the pick. But I really don't see him doing this unless there is a GREAT opportunity, which doesn't come around unless another team is under the gun and really desperate.

I expect TD to use the pick on a player. I'll leave the speculation up to the "experts" around here.

BillsOwnAll
03-28-2003, 03:52 PM
we couldnt get get woodson for just our first round pick could we.......?

TedMock
03-28-2003, 04:13 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Winfield_26
[B]The Sporting News magazine has him posted as a FS, secondly Gerald Hayes and Kenny Peterson will be late round reaches at #23, both could be had probably early round 2 if we really tried to get them, plus to draft a DT with our 1st pick makes no sense to me as he will be #3 with two very capable possibel probowl Dt's ahead of him. The only DE's I like in the 1st round are McDougal and Redding. McDougal would be a steal at 23, but as for Redding he too could possibly fall to deeper in round 1. My suggestion is make a trade to moce us to low round 1 28-31, and then pick up and ectra 3rd or 4th round pick as there is great depth in this draft at the multiple posistions which we need. possible guys I like late in round 1 are: Mathis, Doss, Redding.

I agree that we now have 2 studs playing DT. I'm worried about depth. The thing with DT is that it's rotated much more than any other position. These big fat guys need a few plays off. Plus to get a quality 3rd DT could be beneficial in other ways seeing that PW is 31 and Sam has had some injuries recently. I also like McDougal and Redding and what awful workout numbers Suggs had eh? NO speed or strength. What's the deal with him? If Doss' speed wasn't an issue, I'd love to move him to FS. He does have a knack for big plays. Maybe he worked on his speed and Sporting News is predicting him to go as a FS. That happens quite a bit with DB's. He was one of my favorite college players this year. I like the way he plays.

DraftBoy
03-28-2003, 04:39 PM
Mike Doss 4.45 40 time. That is not a very slow 40 time. Depth is something that could easily be addressed by trading down in round 1 to pick up either an extra 3rd or 4th. With that extra pick we could get a nice DT either Nick Eason with the 3rd, or Eric Manning in the 4th, possibly Dan Klecko also.

BillsFanInMass
03-29-2003, 05:54 AM
Charles Woodson is so overated hes always getting burned. He makes the Pro BOwl cause of popularity cause he won the heisman. He hardly gets any ints

Cokehead Dubya
03-29-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Throne Logic

Peerless Price was traded for the #23 overall, in fact it was this exact #23 . . . He's something of a potential impact player.

Drew Bledsoe was also traded for a #1 pick. Granted it turned out to be the #14, but the Pats didn't know that last year. I could have been much worse.

I am certain that TD will look into the posibility of trading the pick. But I really don't see him doing this unless there is a GREAT opportunity, which doesn't come around unless another team is under the gun and really desperate.

I expect TD to use the pick on a player. I'll leave the speculation up to the "experts" around here.

It's very possible to pick up an impact player with a draft pick. But right now, with our pick, who could we possibly get?

4nic8ion
03-29-2003, 02:12 PM
Win: K Peterson is rated in most draft guides as a mid/late 1st round pick. He definately wont be there at #48. As for Redding/McDougle being the only DE's you like, I have to disagree with you on Redding I saw him play a few times and he was not dominatating at all, and most times he got beat at the point of attack. I agree about McDougle and would add Mike Haynes from Penn State as a possible DE selection, at the senior bowl he was unstoppable, and the scouts said he was like that all week in practice. Mike Doss would be an OK 2nd round pick, if I had to take a safety Id take K Hamlin from Ark over him.

To get back to the tread: I would trade down if McDougle or Haynes was already picked. And Green Bay would be the place to trade down to. They are desperate to get a QB and if K Boller is still there at our pick, Im sure they would want to trade, possible 3rd.

Just a few thoughts on my first post at this site.

DraftBoy
03-29-2003, 02:23 PM
I know whats he rated but im saying he will defintely be there at are pick and most teams behind us arent looking DT round 1, he may fall to round 2, wouldnt be a huge surprise to anyone, as for Redding I agree he is lazy and takes plays off but so did Eric Moulds in college and I think a little bit of work with GW on his butt and Big Pat and Sam next too him, I think he may be compelled to work some, but I agree its a risk.

mush69
03-30-2003, 06:37 AM
I watched the Syracuse/Temple game this year and was quite impressed with Dan Klecko. DT from Temple, now I don't really know where he sets among the draftees in all the fancy polls, he had good foot work on was always strong coming off the ball during that game. I know I heard his named a couple of times in his senior season.

Here a link to the temple home page that gave some of his numbers through college.

Klecko's achievements (http://www.owlsports.com/sports/football/bio.asp?PLAYER_ID=1129).

If we are looking something to build on and have some depth he maybe a good foundation. If he is still around in the later rounds then I would really like to see him come to camp!

DraftBoy
03-30-2003, 12:13 PM
Looks like hes a 4th-7th round pick, project pick, here is what the sporting news drft guide has on him:

Strengths:
-Explodes through gaps
-Changes direction well
-Excels at finding the ball
-Big-play guy with good closing speed
-Excels at breaking the double team

Weaknesses:
-Is a Tweener
-Lacks the size for a every down player
-Has trouble stacking the point of attack, and when blockers get into his body
-Wears down when consistently run at

He is listed at 5-11, 279, hes an intriguing pick.

colin
03-30-2003, 02:09 PM
What we really need to draft is a good speed pass rusher.

We can mix him in and get some pressure from him, and getting him at #23 is not gonna be too expensive.

That dude that Indy picked up, from the Orangemen, people were dissing his size, but speed kills. I am sure TD is gonna get a fast ninja at #23.

Dozerdog
03-30-2003, 02:22 PM
DeWayne White, Louisville....

DraftBoy
03-30-2003, 09:11 PM
Dwayne White "The Sporting News: Draft Guide":

Pass Rush:
"Isnt an elite speed rusher"

Ran a 4.75 40, not too but here it lists Suggs at 4.65. The elite speed rusher of the class would be Antwan Peek DE Cincy. 4.57 40.

Buffalo Billy Bison
03-30-2003, 09:28 PM
You know it sure is fun speculating on what TD has in mind for the 23rd pick overall, but as much as we like second guessing TD, I'm sure that with his manuvering to get that first rounder back after giving it up last year, he willl reveal his greatness shortly.
:beers:

Dozerdog
03-30-2003, 09:31 PM
Antowain Peek weighs under 250

He's projected as a Linebacker in the Pro's.

mush69
03-31-2003, 05:32 AM
Colin, Your thinking of Freeney from SU. Made an instant impact coming into the NFL.

Throne Logic
03-31-2003, 07:01 AM
Cokehead Duck, After hanging around these fan forums for a couple of years, I've learned a few things. One of those is that most fans have very little patience when it comes to player development. Another one of those is that fans tend to forget how long it took the current superstars to develop. Marcellus Wiley took a couple of years. So did Moulds, Price, etc. During the development of each one, fans were calling to replace these "busts" with impact players.

Just don't work like that, 'cepting on rare occation.

I'm still fairly optimistic that we have some impact players in the form of Denny, Bannon, Wire, Schoebel, etc. I'm not willing to write these guys off as "busts" until they have at least two seasons under their belts.

So, my point is, drafting an "impact player" is not nearly as realistic as one of our current guys becoming the "impact player" they were drafted to be.

Cokehead Dubya
03-31-2003, 11:26 AM
You gotta draft 'em to develop 'em. I know what you mean about people's impatience, though.