PDA

View Full Version : For Bills, 3-4 a minor miracle

YardRat
11-04-2007, 06:16 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/printedition/cs-pompei-insidenfl04nov04,1,1380129.story?coll=cs-sports-print

The fact the Bills are one game below .500 is an accomplishment of major proportions, and a testament to how well Dick Jauron has held his team together.

The former Bears coach credits his players.

"They're a terrific group," Jauron says. "Lot of good guys. They never stop working and they don't mind working hard. They like each other and it shows."

Consider, for a moment, that the Bills have gone back and forth at quarterback between inconsistent J.P. Losman, who started the season but lost his job when he was injured, and rookie Trent Edwards. This week, it's Losman because Edwards is injured. Next week, it's probably back to Edwards.

Jauron also has had to shepherd the Bills through the emotional trauma of seeing tight end Kevin Everett taken off the field on a stretcher after a serious spine injury that likely will leave him with some form of permanent paralysis. Jauron said the situation was "devastating" to the Bills.

Defensively, the Bills have had personnel losses that looked devastating. They went into the season knowing they would be without cornerback Nate Clements, middle linebacker London Fletcher and outside linebacker Takeo Spikes, top producers and leaders who left in the off-season.

Then, before the season was a month old they found themselves without three linebackers who were starting at the time of their injuries, including second-round pick Paul Posluszny, who is out for the season. They lost starting cornerback Jason Webster for the year. They were forced to use six different starting lineups on defense in their first six games.

They are down to their third free safety -- who actually was playing wide receiver as recently as the off-season. George Wilson now has two interceptions for the Bills and serves as a symbol of what this team has been able to accomplish.

mybills
11-04-2007, 06:39 AM
I got chills reading that!

:gobills: Keep on fighting! :bf1:

Mitchy moo
11-04-2007, 06:41 AM
I hope we're the feel good story after winning the SB.

shelby
11-04-2007, 06:42 AM
i understand them giving Jauron credit, but i feel that the players themselves are the ones who are making it happen.

They're winning despite the coaching.

mybills
11-04-2007, 06:44 AM
Absolutely, Shelby. They just keep on fighting in spite of it all!

Tatonka
11-04-2007, 07:41 AM
but jauron is the worst coach ever, i thought?

Owen DeBoard
11-04-2007, 07:50 AM
but jauron is the worst coach ever, i thought?
He is. We should be 5-2 instead of 2-5 if they didnt make some boneheaded decisions on losing in the final seconds of both of them games. And if that isnt bad enough, he is starting a qb controversy.

Carlton Bailey
11-04-2007, 07:50 AM
Jauron and Fairchild blew the Denver and Dallas games. This is a 5-2 team with even a mediocre HC and OC. DJ gets no praise from me unless this team ends up in the playoffs.

Owen DeBoard
11-04-2007, 07:52 AM
He is. We should be 5-2 instead of 2-5 if they didnt make some boneheaded decisions on losing in the final seconds of both of them games. And if that isnt bad enough, he is starting a qb controversy.
I mean 5-2 instead of 3-4

HHURRICANE
11-04-2007, 07:53 AM
I've been defending Jauron on this board and I will continue to do so.

These guys show up every week and if you look at the job Jauron has done with the talent level it's absolutely amamzing.

People want to criticize Jaurons coaching but alot of the so called "mistakes" he's made were based on him believing that his players could execute in key decisions.

I go back to last year where we played a great game against the Pats and Jauron decided to go for it on 4th and 1. Our "best RB in the league" danced around and didn't get it. Look at how many calls, including the missed field goal against Dallas before th half, were blamed on "bad coaching."

I'm not saying that the guy doesn't make mistakes but I'd take him over about 28 other coaches in the league right now

Be careful what you wish for.

Tatonka
11-04-2007, 08:03 AM
so people think that any ****ty coach could have gotten a team over the everett thing and dealt with all the injuries.. no skill required there?

Mitchy moo
11-04-2007, 08:09 AM
If the Bills continue to improve and win, it can only be attributed to the coaching staff. I pray DJ wins coach of the year and we win the SB.

HHURRICANE
11-04-2007, 08:22 AM
so people think that any ****ty coach could have gotten a team over the everett thing and dealt with all the injuries.. no skill required there?

Read my post above! Totally agree with you. I was posting this thread but Yardrat beat me to it!! Good read from Chicago point of view.

Tatonka
11-04-2007, 08:32 AM
i think DJ had ****ed up.. twice costing us games.. but they were both games that honestly, i didnt expect to even be in.. and he has overcome some huge roadblocks.

i hope that he doesnt continue to **** up the qb thing and that jp plays well and things go back to normal.. cause i think that the qb thing could cost him his job if he really makes it awful.

but i dont hate him like alot of people seem to.

i do not like fairchild at all right now.

YardRat
11-04-2007, 10:22 AM
I don't think he's '****ing up' the the QB situation at all...I think he's handling it as well as can be expected. I'd much rather have a guy making the decision that is based on what's best for the team at a specific point in time than someone who 'lays down the law' and sticks by it regardless of the outcome just to try and prove he's right.

The team will be better in the long run after going through this process together.