PDA

View Full Version : A semi- "eat crow" thread

OpIv37
11-04-2007, 10:03 PM
I've been harsh on a lot of players over the last few years, most of whom deserve it. But after this season, I think there are 3 that don't fully deserve the bashing I gave them:

Josh Reed
Robert Royal
Coy Wire

No doubt these guys have underperformed in the past, but they've also shown flashes where they've been really effective. The problem isn't the players- it's the coaches. These guys are all role players who can be effective in the right role, but our idiot coaches don't realize that.

Reed is a solid #3 possession receiver, but several Bills coaching staffs have tried to use him as a #2.

Wire is a solid ST'er and backup linebacker, but our coaches were trying to use him at safety.

Royal is a good situational receiving threat and a decent downfield blocker, but Fairchild can't seem to figure out how to use TE's in the passing game (today being the exception, of course).

So, I mistakenly blamed the players when I should have been blaming the coaches. The players are responsible for their own performance, but the coaches are responsible for putting them in the right position to perform.

Mr. Miyagi
11-04-2007, 10:08 PM
Well it's big of you to post that, though it's not much of an eat crow thread. It's more like "My *****ing was justified but I should've been *****ing about the coaches instead of the players."

If that's as much of crow eating as we can get out of you, we'll take it. :up:

OpIv37
11-04-2007, 10:13 PM
Well it's big of you to post that, though it's not much of an eat crow thread. It's more like "My *****ing was justified but I should've been *****ing about the coaches instead of the players."

Cliff's Notes version:

I thought those guys sucked. It turns out they don't suck- they were misused and they're effective when used properly.

Is that more to your liking?

Wys Guy
11-04-2007, 10:16 PM

You'll take it eh?

As if Op's been more wrong than you Miyagi.

Where's your admission, along with some others' here, that fart and think a bouquet of roses pops out of their arse like some magician's trick?

That's mighty white of you to accept Op's admission.

;)

Wys Guy
11-04-2007, 10:24 PM
Cliff's Notes version:

I thought those guys sucked. It turns out they don't suck- they were misused and they're effective when used properly.

Is that more to your liking?

Frankly, I still think Royal sucks.

Wire's OK as a defender but has no real role due to his tweener size/talents. I.e., too big/slow to play DB but not big enough or strong enough to play LB effectively.

It's funny how everyone gauges one win vs. one of the worst teams in the league as anything other than that, what it is.

Reed is hit and miss. This is his fifth season in the league and one game vs. the Bengals shouldn't alter anyone's opinion that he's a 2/3 WR tops. He's done absolutely nothing else this season to suggest otherwise. And this comes from someone that used to think that he had #1 talent like Troy Brown used to.

Losman had no pressure today, suffered no sacks, and threw for a well beyond average (both for the league and for the team/him) 295 yards. That's not going to happen often, certainly not every week, and frankly, the lack of pressure was probably more due to a defense bereft of talent with just a couple of recognizeable names on their starting lineup than it was due to our line which probably "played well" as a result, not as the cause in a causal relationship.

LtBillsFan66
11-04-2007, 10:25 PM
Is Royal better than Mark Cambell?

Wys Guy
11-04-2007, 10:32 PM
Is Royal better than Mark Cambell?

Campbell was much better rounded and had much better hands. He was a better blocker too. Royal's faster, but that doesn't seem to translate to anything useful for us on a regular basis. Royal has had far too many dropsies percentage wise. Royal had at least one drop today. He only caught two passes. It's not as if the Cincy D should have put any fear into him.

I mean honestly, what has Royal done for this team that's worth $10M in the 1 1/2 seasons that he's been here?

LtBillsFan66
11-04-2007, 10:33 PM
Campbell was much better rounded and had much better hands. He was a better blocker too. Royal's faster, but that doesn't seem to translate to anything useful for us on a regular basis. Royal has had far too many dropsies percentage wise. Royal had at least one drop today. He only caught two passes. It's not as if the Cincy D should have put any fear into him.

I mean honestly, what has Royal done for this team that's worth $10M in the 1 1/2 seasons that he's been here?

:laughing:

Oaf
11-04-2007, 11:16 PM
I will never forgive him for that gaffe in the Tenn game last year. He plays with a lot of energy and can occasionally make a play, but I still get nervous when he gets the ball.

Wys Guy
11-04-2007, 11:35 PM
I will never forgive him for that gaffe in the Tenn game last year. He plays with a lot of energy and can occasionally make a play, but I still get nervous when he gets the ball.

He has more drops, penalties, and bad plays than he has big plays on the good side. His net value is negative.

The fact that we signed him to five-year $10M deal is another matter altogether different. Clearly he's a vet-min type of signee, perhaps marginally more. When you pick up a guy like Gaines off a waiver wire who performs better at lesser cost, it's not a ringing endorsement. Billsfanone will argue that no doubt.

John Doe
11-05-2007, 06:04 AM
I've been harsh on a lot of players over the last few years, most of whom deserve it. But after this season, I think there are 3 that don't fully deserve the bashing I gave them:

Josh Reed
Robert Royal
Coy Wire

No doubt these guys have underperformed in the past, but they've also shown flashes where they've been really effective. The problem isn't the players- it's the coaches. These guys are all role players who can be effective in the right role, but our idiot coaches don't realize that.

Reed is a solid #3 possession receiver, but several Bills coaching staffs have tried to use him as a #2.

Wire is a solid ST'er and backup linebacker, but our coaches were trying to use him at safety.

Royal is a good situational receiving threat and a decent downfield blocker, but Fairchild can't seem to figure out how to use TE's in the passing game (today being the exception, of course).

So, I mistakenly blamed the players when I should have been blaming the coaches. The players are responsible for their own performance, but the coaches are responsible for putting them in the right position to perform.

I don't think that McCargo and Ellison deserved the scorn that you heaped on them either.

Mitchy moo
11-05-2007, 06:07 AM

If he continues to play like he did yesterday, I would say he is doing enough. Being under / improperly used is the biggest mistake in the NFL, I applaud OP for calling himself out.

FlyingDutchman
11-05-2007, 07:19 AM
I still cant get myself to like Reed. Sure he makes some catches, and is a decent posession receiver, but he never makes a clutch catch or a big play. He fills the spot, and does an ok job, but thats about it. JP threaded the needle to him on a big 3rd down play yesterday and it hit im right in the hands and he couldnt come down with it. Those are the type of plays we need him to make.

HHURRICANE
11-05-2007, 07:52 AM
People don't get the fact that we still don't have alot of talent on this roster. Op's point is excellent because the players he's talking about are effective just not as primary players.

Good post.

Hopefully one FA market and draft class and we might have what we need to really compete.

OpIv37
11-05-2007, 08:01 AM
I don't think that McCargo and Ellison deserved the scorn that you heaped on them either.

Ellison's had one good game all season- yesterday against the Bengals. My problem with Ellison isn't really Ellison- it's everyone here thinking that he's something special and a legit replacement for Spikes (or Crowell's replacement so Crowell can replace Spikes- it's splitting hairs) when he's never been anything more than mediocre.

McCargo has improved every game. We needed immediate DL help last year and McCargo wasn't giving it to us. If he can continue to improve and stay healthy, I'll have to do an "eat crow" thread for him too. He's made it 8 games without an injury, which is good, but hardly proof that he's past his injury problems.

OpIv37
11-05-2007, 08:04 AM

Wire's OK as a defender but has no real role due to his tweener size/talents. I.e., too big/slow to play DB but not big enough or strong enough to play LB effectively.

It's funny how everyone gauges one win vs. one of the worst teams in the league as anything other than that, what it is.

Reed is hit and miss. This is his fifth season in the league and one game vs. the Bengals shouldn't alter anyone's opinion that he's a 2/3 WR tops. He's done absolutely nothing else this season to suggest otherwise. And this comes from someone that used to think that he had #1 talent like Troy Brown used to.

Losman had no pressure today, suffered no sacks, and threw for a well beyond average (both for the league and for the team/him) 295 yards. That's not going to happen often, certainly not every week, and frankly, the lack of pressure was probably more due to a defense bereft of talent with just a couple of recognizeable names on their starting lineup than it was due to our line which probably "played well" as a result, not as the cause in a causal relationship.

Royal's not a guy you can count on in the clutch, but he does have some ability to make receptions. He's effective when our coaches run TE screens or use him as a check down- it works better with Losman than Edwards because the receivers are running deeper routes because it creates more space underneath. I still worry that he's going to have a big gaffe because he's shown that he can't keep his head in the game numerous time, but in his defense he's gone several games without doing that.

We're basically saying the same thing about Reed.

Wire's size is a limitation at LB but he still seems effective in the position. It probably wouldn't be as big a deal if our DL wasn't undersized.

justasportsfan
11-05-2007, 08:05 AM
Josh Reed
Robert Royal
Coy Wire

psssst1 You forgot McCargo.

BTW, you owe me a sig :D

OpIv37
11-05-2007, 08:06 AM
psssst1 You forgot McCargo.

BTW, you owe me a sig :D

See my response to John Doe above regarding McCargo.

What was the bet again? It's been a while.

Luisito23
11-05-2007, 08:39 AM
Good thread OP, and you did a great job on the front page as well...:beers:....

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bulldog
11-05-2007, 08:50 AM

Man, last week you were saying that Buffalo couldn't win this game. Well now they did, and Cincy is suddenly one of the worst teams in the entire league. What was your prediction for wins this year?

Mahdi
11-05-2007, 09:14 AM

Josh Reed
Robert Royal
Coy Wire

Ok so first you blame the players because you thought they sucked.... Now apparently they dont suck because they played well yesterday and were well used in the offense,,,,, but the coaching staff sucks because they dont know how to use them?????

that dont make sense,,,,,

RedEyE
11-05-2007, 09:20 AM
You'll take it eh?

As if Op's been more wrong than you Miyagi.

Where's your admission, along with some others' here, that fart and think a bouquet of roses pops out of their arse like some magician's trick?

That's mighty white of you to accept Op's admission.

;)

As if you're one to talk. You're over dramatic cynicism bleeds red, white and Buffalo blue.

OpIv37
11-05-2007, 09:23 AM
Ok so first you blame the players because you thought they sucked.... Now apparently they dont suck because they played well yesterday and were well used in the offense,,,,, but the coaching staff sucks because they dont know how to use them?????

that dont make sense,,,,,

First, it's more than just yesterday- I never make generalizations based on just one game.

These 3 players have struggled on the field, but from time to time they've shown flashes of effectiveness (such as yesterday).

The difference is that at the times they've been effective, the coaches have temporarily pulled their heads out of their asses and used them correctly. For example, the TE's have been invisible in our offense since the K Gun days. When the coaches call TE screens, or deep routes and use the TE as the check down, Royal can be effective. The problem is Fairchild doesn't usually do this and tries to use Royal to run block, or block Dwight Freeney, which is NOT his strong suit.

And yes, the coaching staff sucks and the misuse of these 3 players over a long period of time is just one example of that.

Mahdi
11-05-2007, 09:25 AM

Before the game you were saying that Walker sucks in pass protection werent you? I dont care who you are playing against but the time our OL was giving JP was crazy. Walker and Peters were destroying their man all day. With our schedule its expected that we will give up sacks on a regular basis, at least 2 per game. Thats the nature of the 3-4 D. Even the best OL will give up sacks because pressure can come from anywhere. However anytime we line up against 4-3 teams you wont see much pressure on our QB because man to man our OL will hold up against any DL in the league. Theyre too big and on top of that too athletic.

Walker deserves a ton of credit for the job he has done so far.

mysticsoto
11-05-2007, 09:32 AM
Before the game you were saying that Walker sucks in pass protection werent you? I dont care who you are playing against but the time our OL was giving JP was crazy. Walker and Peters were destroying their man all day. With our schedule its expected that we will give up sacks on a regular basis, at least 2 per game. Thats the nature of the 3-4 D. Even the best OL will give up sacks because pressure can come from anywhere. However anytime we line up against 4-3 teams you wont see much pressure on our QB because man to man our OL will hold up against any DL in the league. Theyre too big and on top of that too athletic.

You'll never get Wys to eat crow willingly - even though it is obvious that his "jump to conclusions" opinion about Walker was wrong. By no means is Walker a probowler, but he has played very decent for us!!!

Mahdi
11-05-2007, 09:37 AM
First, it's more than just yesterday- I never make generalizations based on just one game.

These 3 players have struggled on the field, but from time to time they've shown flashes of effectiveness (such as yesterday).

The difference is that at the times they've been effective, the coaches have temporarily pulled their heads out of their asses and used them correctly. For example, the TE's have been invisible in our offense since the K Gun days. When the coaches call TE screens, or deep routes and use the TE as the check down, Royal can be effective. The problem is Fairchild doesn't usually do this and tries to use Royal to run block, or block Dwight Freeney, which is NOT his strong suit.

And yes, the coaching staff sucks and the misuse of these 3 players over a long period of time is just one example of that.
Last year was their first year and our OL was bad. Therefore our TEs had to stay in to block. This year our OL is improved and they have been getting the TEs involved more. Its pretty simple. These are people who have been in and around football all their lives. Do you reall think they are just realizing now to use their TEs??? Im pretty sure theres a reason for things. Its so easy to sit around here on our PCs and yell about how certain things dont or didnt happen, fact is, its much more compliacted than that.

Lots of us thought McCargo was a bust and blamed the staff.... NOW hes a beast.

Walker was supposed to suck coming from oakland,,,, wrong again

We dont use TEs because our coaches are dumb,,,, well ,,,, again not true,,,,,

Every thread that gets made here with suggestions and criticisms of the team are things our coaching staff probably already thought of in pre-season. We talk about it here for our own Entertainment. NFL coaches are NFL coaches for a reason they dont just forget that they have TEs, they know they need another WR, and im pretty sure they know that Coy Wire has limitations as to what he can do for the defense which is why they drafted Poz.

Enough already about the bad coaching comments.... I guess all the coaches we beat this year suck too then? Marvin Lewis? Brian Billick? Mangini?

Mahdi
11-05-2007, 09:38 AM
You'll never get Wys to eat crow willingly - even though it is obvious that his "jump to conclusions" opinion about Walker was wrong. By no means is Walker a probowler, but he has played very decent for us!!!
Cmon youd have to give him more than just decent. The guy is taking care of business on the right side. Not pro-bowl, but he is playing at a high level.

OpIv37
11-05-2007, 09:42 AM
Last year was their first year and our OL was bad. Therefore our TEs had to stay in to block. This year our OL is improved and they have been getting the TEs involved more. Its pretty simple. These are people who have been in and around football all their lives. Do you reall think they are just realizing now to use their TEs??? Im pretty sure theres a reason for things. Its so easy to sit around here on our PCs and yell about how certain things dont or didnt happen, fact is, its much more compliacted than that.

Lots of us thought McCargo was a bust and blamed the staff.... NOW hes a beast.

Walker was supposed to suck coming from oakland,,,, wrong again

We dont use TEs because our coaches are dumb,,,, well ,,,, again not true,,,,,

Every thread that gets made here with suggestions and criticisms of the team are things our coaching staff probably already thought of in pre-season. We talk about it here for our own Entertainment. NFL coaches are NFL coaches for a reason they dont just forget that they have TEs, they know they need another WR, and im prettu sure they know that Coy Wire has limitations as to what he can do for the defense which is why they drafted Poz.

Enough already about the bad coaching comments.... I guess all the coaches we beat this year suck too then? Marvin Lewis? Brian Billick? Mangini?

how do you explain the fact that our TE's have only been involved sparingly THIS year when the OL was good? What about that ridiculous play call on 1st and goal? What about the continued failures in the red zone? What about the 2 losses that could have been prevented with better play calling?

Lewis, Billick, and Mangini have made mistakes too, but they've also had their share of success. You're counting on this coaching staff to do something that they've NEVER proven they can do- ie, the team is doing the same thing over and over and you're expecting different results.

You always try to compartmentalize things and never look at the big picture. This coaching staff has been inadequate their entire time here (except April and now I'd add Fewell). And they've been inadequate in their past jobs as well. Basic things like clock management, play calling and effectively using players transcends them. And they've demonstrated it NUMEROUS times over the season and a half that they've been coaching.

Mahdi
11-05-2007, 09:58 AM
how do you explain the fact that our TE's have only been involved sparingly THIS year when the OL was good? What about that ridiculous play call on 1st and goal? What about the continued failures in the red zone? What about the 2 losses that could have been prevented with better play calling?

Lewis, Billick, and Mangini have made mistakes too, but they've also had their share of success. You're counting on this coaching staff to do something that they've NEVER proven they can do- ie, the team is doing the same thing over and over and you're expecting different results.

You always try to compartmentalize things and never look at the big picture. This coaching staff has been inadequate their entire time here (except April and now I'd add Fewell). And they've been inadequate in their past jobs as well. Basic things like clock management, play calling and effectively using players transcends them. And they've demonstrated it NUMEROUS times over the season and a half that they've been coaching.
The problem is that you seem to believe that we have a team that we actually dont....

We have an unsettled QB situation

Royal is not Winslow

Reed is not Boldin

Gaines is not Winslow

Coy Wire is not Lance Briggs

Greer is not Champ Bailey

Wilson is not Ed Reed.

Fowler is not Matt Birk,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the Vikings OL was similar to ours last year when they had just gotten Hutch. One year later they are doing what thetyre doing now. Our OL will vastly improve from this year to next also assuming they stay together.

This team is missing a lot of components in order to be successful and the coaching staff is making due with what they have.

And BTW Royal had 23 receptions last year,,,, this year he already has 13 and Gaines has 13.

OpIv37
11-05-2007, 10:02 AM
The problem is that you seem to believe that we have a team that we actually dont....

We have an unsettled QB situation

Royal is not Winslow

Reed is not Boldin

Gaines is not Winslow

Coy Wire is not Lance Briggs

Greer is not Champ Bailey

Wilson is not Ed Reed.

Fowler is not Matt Birk,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the Vikings OL was similar to ours last year when they had just gotten Hutch. One year later they are doing what thetyre doing now. Our OL will vastly improve from this year to next also assuming they stay together.

This team is missing a lot of components in order to be successful and the coaching staff is making due with what they have.

And BTW Royal had 23 receptions last year,,,, this year he already has 13 and Gaines has 13.

Notice how all those guys you mentioned are on different teams- NO ONE has all the pieces.

Our coaches are what they are- they know how to motivate our guys and plan around their weaknesses in pre game, but they don't correctly utilize all our players and they are complete idiots on Sunday afternoons. In the second quarter I was furious at the asinine calls the coaches were making. They cost us two touchdowns.

Mahdi
11-05-2007, 10:05 AM
Notice how all those guys you mentioned are on different teams- NO ONE has all the pieces.

Our coaches are what they are- they know how to motivate our guys and plan around their weaknesses in pre game, but they don't correctly utilize all our players and they are complete idiots on Sunday afternoons. In the second quarter I was furious at the asinine calls the coaches were making. They cost us two touchdowns.
If you havent noticed we have no red zone threats..... All our TDs were long distance except for the HB pass which wont happen often. Once we get in close we have no size so our options are limited. And our one threat is ganged up on. One more draft should solve that problem and this time next year you wont have the same complaints.

mysticsoto
11-05-2007, 10:05 AM
Cmon youd have to give him more than just decent. The guy is taking care of business on the right side. Not pro-bowl, but he is playing at a high level.

I did...I said "very decent". :D He's playing well. I do wish that our Oline as a whole were better at run blocking though. Almost everything Lynch has gotten up to date he's had to do on his own b'cse there hasn't been much there. I really expected the left side to be alot more dominant than it is also! But as far as their pass blocking, they've been great!!!

justasportsfan
11-05-2007, 10:07 AM
Experience playing is the same system makes a team better. say it OP, say it :D

colin
11-05-2007, 10:14 AM
If you havent noticed we have no red zone threats..... All our TDs were long distance except for the HB pass which wont happen often. Once we get in close we have no size so our options are limited. And our one threat is ganged up on. One more draft should solve that problem and this time next year you wont have the same complaints.

dood, i agree 10000%.

in the red zone all they do is single cover and put everyone right up close. until we can put some fear into people with a big WR or good TE we are going to continue to be bad in the redzone. we've been this way since losing reimersma

Mahdi
11-05-2007, 10:19 AM
dood, i agree 10000%.

in the red zone all they do is single cover and put everyone right up close. until we can put some fear into people with a big WR or good TE we are going to continue to be bad in the redzone. we've been this way since losing reimersma
Exactly....

Take a team like Pittsburgh for example.... they have short WRs like us right,,, however,,, they have Miller and Spaeth who cause match up problems for defenses which opens the zones up for Ward and Parker.

Same with Dallas with Owens and Witten.

I dont think there is ONE good offense in the NFL that doesnt have either a threat at TE or a redzone threat at WR.

OpIv37
11-05-2007, 10:30 AM
Exactly....

Take a team like Pittsburgh for example.... they have short WRs like us right,,, however,,, they have Miller and Spaeth who cause match up problems for defenses which opens the zones up for Ward and Parker.

Same with Dallas with Owens and Witten.

I dont think there is ONE good offense in the NFL that doesnt have either a threat at TE or a redzone threat at WR.

so, we don't have a red zone threat.

So, how do you defend the coaches for their conservative play calling? If we can't score from inside the red zone, the only logical thing to do is take more chances at scoring from outside the red zone. But we don't (or at least we didn't before yesterday).

BTW, all the receivers and TE's we have now except Evans were either drafted, signed or re-signed by Marv, so if we don't have the right personnel to score in the red zone, it's on him.

Mahdi
11-05-2007, 10:44 AM
so, we don't have a red zone threat.

So, how do you defend the coaches for their conservative play calling? If we can't score from inside the red zone, the only logical thing to do is take more chances at scoring from outside the red zone. But we don't (or at least we didn't before yesterday).

BTW, all the receivers and TE's we have now except Evans were either drafted, signed or re-signed by Marv, so if we don't have the right personnel to score in the red zone, it's on him.
You cant cover every weakness immediately,,,, we had too many to begin with and still do. Their first draft they sorted out the secondary and DL. Last draft was running game and LB. This draft coming up will be redzone.

mysticsoto
11-05-2007, 12:16 PM
You cant cover every weakness immediately,,,, we had too many to begin with and still do. Their first draft they sorted out the secondary and DL. Last draft was running game and LB. This draft coming up will be redzone.

It's looking good for DB/Mystic's pick for '08 - Malcolm Kelly WR - 6'4".

Mahdi
11-05-2007, 12:34 PM
It's looking good for DB/Mystic's pick for '08 - Malcolm Kelly WR - 6'4".
I could see that based on how the season is shaping up.... we could be picking in the middle third which is a good place for Kelly. I also wouldnt mind Adarius Bowman from Oklahoma State. The one im really keeping my eye on though is Brian Robiskie from Ohio St. The guy is a great redzone threat. Only thing is he's a junior and I have no idea if he plans on entering the draft this year. If Ohio St. wins the championship game this year he will probably declare.

Wys Guy
11-05-2007, 12:38 PM

Yeah, great points considering that brutal Bengals pass rush!

I honestly just have to laugh. So many of you deserve this team every year and nothing more.

Mahdi
11-05-2007, 12:53 PM

I honestly just have to laugh. So many of you deserve this team every year and nothing more.
Which game have you actually watched this year where you saw our OL get dominated in pass pro?

mysticsoto
11-05-2007, 01:40 PM

If that's the case, what do you deserve? This might be a great year for you to become a dolphin fan. They are performing about as bad as your complaints about the Bills ought to have us playing like. Atleast over there, there'd be some truth to your constant whining...

Oaf
11-05-2007, 10:58 PM
I like Reed in the clutch. Rather than Hines Ward, he's become a poor man's Wayne Chrebet or Wes Welker. All we need is a legit #2 and he'll be that much more effective. Throw in a junebug in Parrish and you have a dangerous WR corp. In Madden, I traded a 1st for T.J. Housh. Obviously that isn't possible now, but to get someone like him in the draft to go with Evans would be spectacular.