PDA

View Full Version : What else could you ask for?

Oaf
11-04-2007, 10:27 PM
These were the reason most of you came up with when asked why Trent Edwards should start over Losman. So lets see how JP stacked up.

Completion Percentage (70.5%, includes passes downfield) :check:
3rd down efficiency: (8/13, 62%) :check:
Spread of Offensive Production (Reed, 6 catches. TE's, 7 catches, 67 yards) :check:
Ball Control and Sustained Drives (35:42 in TOP) :check:
Poise in pocket (0 sacks):check:
At least one awful throw (yup.) :check:

Granted Losman had these advantages to work with:
- Home Game
- Poor Defense

Obviously, a true indicator for Losman won't come till the Jags game; that is, a solid team on the road, but the Bengals are better than the record indicates, just look at some of their losses this year.

My point is, Losman played a nearly flawless game against a mediocre opponent, managed the team on 6 or 7 scoring drives, and with the help of a improved defense, outdueled a top offense. Couldn't ask for more from him this game.

I don't care how many years JP or TE have played or what, and I don't know what the future (i.e. Ralphy) holds, but right now, Edwards just does not give us the best chance to win games, which is all i'm thinking about right now. JP is proving himself to be the best option, again.

Oaf
11-04-2007, 11:18 PM
:tap:
I would like to hear the TED's imput on this.

Philagape
11-04-2007, 11:28 PM
The Bengals aren't a mediocre opponent; they're an abomination, at least on defense. Zero pass rush, and awful coverage. Their DC should be fired for singling up Evans. Whoever the QB was could just sit back and do whatever they wanted. It was like a practice.
He did what I thought he'd do. There was a prediction poll last week, and I chose 1 TD, 1 TO. Bingo. Any less would have been an embarrassment.
He played very well but wasn't tested at all.

What else could I ask for? Doing it against a real defense. Pats in two weeks.

Wys Guy
11-04-2007, 11:29 PM
These were the reason most of you came up with when asked why Trent Edwards should start over Losman. So lets see how JP stacked up.

Completion Percentage (70.5%, includes passes downfield) :check:
3rd down efficiency: (8/13, 62%) :check:
Spread of Offensive Production (Reed, 6 catches. TE's, 7 catches, 67 yards) :check:
Ball Control and Sustained Drives (35:42 in TOP) :check:
Poise in pocket (0 sacks):check:
At least one awful throw (yup.) :check:

Granted Losman had these advantages to work with:
- Home Game
- Poor Defense

Obviously, a true indicator for Losman won't come till the Jags game; that is, a solid team on the road, but the Bengals are better than the record indicates, just look at some of their losses this year.

My point is, Losman played a nearly flawless game against a mediocre opponent, managed the team on 6 or 7 scoring drives, and with the help of a improved defense, outdueled a top offense. Couldn't ask for more from him this game.

I don't care how many years JP or TE have played or what, and I don't know what the future (i.e. Ralphy) holds, but right now, Edwards just does not give us the best chance to win games, which is all i'm thinking about right now. JP is proving himself to be the best option, again.

Losman to Edwards is an apples-to-oranges comparison. People are micromanaging the daylights out of this controversy. Cincy is the worst team in the league in terms of passing TDs allowed and third worst in rating allowed. Losman didn't even attain the averages that they allow in this game.

I'm not making a comment either way, but that's a fact. Evaluating a player on one game is silly. QBs in particular need a full season. This season reminds us of '05 when they jerked Holcomb and Losman off all season long.

It's wrong, irresponsible, and isn't doing either player or the team any favors. But hey, we don't have time or patience, and Levy and Dick certainly can't afford to lose an extra game or two in the interests of future improvement, so the folly continues.

Wys Guy
11-04-2007, 11:30 PM
The Bengals aren't a mediocre opponent; they're an abomination, at least on defense. Zero pass rush, and awful coverage. Their DC should be fired for singling up Evans. Whoever the QB was could just sit back and do whatever they wanted. It was like a practice.
He did what I thought he'd do. There was a prediction poll last week, and I chose 1 TD, 1 TO. Bingo. Any less would have been an embarrassment.
He played very well but wasn't tested at all.

What else could I ask for? Doing it against a real defense. Pats in two weeks.

I knew they were bad, but while watching this game I actually couldn't believe how bad they were.

You're right, it was like training camp.

Oaf
11-04-2007, 11:35 PM
Good points, guess we'll just have to wait and see. If JP can't engineer a pats win, will you calling for his head again? After they made Payton look foolish, I don't think you should.

Philagape
11-04-2007, 11:41 PM
Against the Pats I just don't want us to be humiliated. I expect a loss, but if he minimizes mistakes and shows some movement and scoring drives, he'll get over another hump.

Wys Guy
11-04-2007, 11:44 PM
Good points, guess we'll just have to wait and see. If JP can't engineer a pats win, will you calling for his head again? After they made Payton look foolish, I don't think you should.

Who, me?

I've never called for Losman's head. I'm utterly ambivalent in the entire QB thing. I see a lose-lose.

I've been ranting since last season that we simply can't live on deep balls. This is the first and only game that I've seen of Losman pitching a solid short game and I'm entirely discounting it for reasons already stated and that you agree with.

On the other hand, I've seen even less from Edwards other than he can complete all his passes before going 3-and-out leaving us to punt. So what, he has a high completion percentage and a somewhat decent game against a comparable defensive opponent.

I guess at this point given Losman's good short game this week and the fire that's been lit under his arse I'd probably leave him in. Doesn't make sense not to. But I'd leave one QB in for at least the next six weeks straight and I'd quit jockeying them around. If Losman can continue to demonstrate a decent short game, he's got the deep game, so this team may have found a QB. If not however, once that becomes fully obvious that he's only capable of doing that vs. teams like the Bengals, then it's probably time to stick Edwards in.

But I don't have a dog in this fight.

IMO this team has far greater issues.

Putting the onus on JP to "engineer a Pats win" isn't fair to him. Especially not with them coming off of a bye week. We're gonna get killed, even at home, w/ Edwards or Losman. As good a game we had this week will be equally bad then.

For all those relying on circumstantial wins simply to achieve mediocrity, next week may be the end-all-to-be-all for this season. Lose that game and the luster comes off of this paint job quickly.

m1orenz
11-04-2007, 11:45 PM
Against the Pats I just don't want us to be humiliated. I expect a loss, but if he minimizes mistakes and shows some movement and scoring drives, he'll get over another hump.

how did your hero trent do against the pat?

o thats right, he got humiliated

Wys Guy
11-04-2007, 11:45 PM

Good point. JP is the better QB for "mistake/error avoidance."

Philagape
11-04-2007, 11:48 PM
how did your hero trent do against the pat?

o thats right, he got humiliated

Why do people think that criticizing Trent is defending JP? The idea is for a fourth-year vet to be light years ahead of a rookie. That's normal. But it's not the case here. Everything said against Trent only makes JP look worse because it's a reminder that JP is at the same level until proven otherwise. Lighting up the Buff State Bengals proves nothing.

Wys Guy
11-04-2007, 11:52 PM
Why do people think that criticizing Trent is defending JP?

It's because people jump to conclusions around here and make rash assumptions the way politicians jump to get earmarks into billls. It's sometimes impossible to offer simple criticism with the goal of open-ended objective discussion.

m1orenz
11-05-2007, 12:09 AM
Why do people think that criticizing Trent is defending JP? The idea is for a fourth-year vet to be light years ahead of a rookie. That's normal. But it's not the case here. Everything said against Trent only makes JP look worse because it's a reminder that JP is at the same level until proven otherwise. Lighting up the Buff State Bengals proves nothing.
i am not trying to defend jp. I am trying to point out the NE has humiliated 8 of the 9 QB's they faced and that whoever the bills start has a very good chance of being humiliated.

and how exactly has trent made jp look worse? The good game vs the jets (a team jp has always torn up)? The 3 pts game vs the jets? The 3 pt game vs teh cowboys? Or the 19 pt 150 yd games vs the ravens?

None seem head and shoulders (or even better) than what jp has done.

But dont let facts and logic get in the way of your posts

Philagape
11-05-2007, 12:34 AM
None seem head and shoulders (or even better) than what jp has done.

When it's a 4-year vet against the rookie, it should be the opposite.

Instead, you're trying to make the point that the rookie isn't better. Why is that a point? What's to brag about that? Congratulations, JP ... the rookie isn't better than you after four games in the NFL! There's something to hang your hat on!

It makes JP look worse because he's meeting such a low standard.

Oaf
11-05-2007, 10:51 PM
The idea is for a fourth-year vet to be light years ahead of a rookie. That's normal.

Lynch and McGahee?

I'd like to see Edwards go through exactly what Losman when through his first four years, and then in that 4th year, be four times as better than what he was his first season coming back from his broken leg. :cynic: