PDA

View Full Version : Do you agree with Jerry Sullivan this week?

Wally The Barber
11-05-2007, 09:13 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/199662.html

Losman fans will probably not agree!

:oops:

SquishDaFish
11-05-2007, 09:20 AM
Not a bad article. But NOONE knows how Edwards would of done. Its not guaranteed. You liked the article soo much you had to post it twice huh LOL

RedEyE
11-05-2007, 09:23 AM
Thank you Sulivan for pointing out what some here have already forgotten:

We still have a raging quarterback controversy on our hands. You don’t prove you’re a franchise quarterback, worthy of a big contract extension, by beating one of the league’s worst defenses at home. You do that against the better defenses, on the road and in games with greater playoff significance.

So Losman still has lots to prove, and there’s no guarantee that Jauron will stick with him when Edwards gets healthy. Losman said the only thing he can do is make the coach’s decision harder, and he did that Sunday. It wasn’t just Losman’s play, but the way the offense rallied around him.

It’s unclear how many Bills were upset when Losman lost his starting job to Edwards. But the offense played with a palpable resolve on Sunday, like a unit that wanted to perform at its best for an embattled teammate. It was encouraging to see, regardless of where you stand on the Losman-Edwards debate.

“We’re showing we’re a very close team,” Losman said. “I know you guys can see that. It’s evident. We have a lot of friends, a lot of people wanting to do things for each other, a lot of people hanging out with each other outside the facility. And all those things are paying off. It’s very intertwined, and a lot of good things are going on.”

That’s been lost somewhat in the furor over the QBs.

RedEyE
11-05-2007, 09:23 AM
Not a bad article. But NOONE knows how Edwards would of done. Its not guaranteed. You liked the article soo much you had to post it twice huh LOL

True, but we do know what he is capable of doing.

gr8slayer
11-05-2007, 09:29 AM
True, but we do know what he is capable of doing.
Throw one TD every five games? :idunno:

justasportsfan
11-05-2007, 09:30 AM
We still have a raging quarterback controversy on our hands. You don’t prove you’re a franchise quarterback, worthy of a big contract extension, by beating one of the league’s worst defenses at home. You do that against the better defenses, on the road and in games with greater playoff significance. WHo's talking about being the franchise qb? We're just trying to find out who's the better qb now. It's been answered regardless of who we played.

So Losman still has lots to prove, and there’s no guarantee that Jauron will stick with him when Edwards gets healthy. We all knew that coming into the season. All we were hoping for was for him to have a chance to prove himself. That got sidetracked when the owner decided to stick his senile head into things.

[I]It’s unclear how many Bills were upset when Losman lost his starting job to Edwards. But the offense played with a palpable resolve on Sunday, like a unit that wanted to perform at its best for an embattled teammate. It was encouraging to see, regardless of where you stand on the Losman-Edwards debate.

“We’re showing we’re a very close team,” Losman said. “I know you guys can see that. It’s evident. We have a lot of friends, a lot of people wanting to do things for each other, a lot of people hanging out with each other outside the facility. And all those things are paying off. It’s very intertwined, and a lot of good things are going on.”

That’s been lost somewhat in the furor over the QBs.YUP, the teammates have SPOKEN. I'm sure there are posters here who know better though.

RedEyE
11-05-2007, 10:04 AM
Thanks for putting words in my mouth. My point is that there is a QB controversy still lingering over this team and suddenly everyone seems to forget that after 1 decisive win.

I've never chosen sides on this QB thing and I'm not about to let one of you decide that for me. My point with Edwards is that he has more success on the field this year then Losman, try not to forget that.

colin
11-05-2007, 10:32 AM
i don't think there is much of a contraversy. we've won 4 of 5, and were soo close to being 5 in a row.

we've had 2 qb switches due to injury over that time. we've won with O, with D, and with special teams. i don't think anyone on the bills is thinking the management and coaching can't put them in a position to win. i also don't think guys are worried about raw deals, they are thinking if you come out and play you got a shot at a spot.

i am still not sold on fairchild just like i am not sold on losman (and prolly never will be), but overall our coaches are pretty solid thus far and our team is all ass and attitude, not buckling at all.

i like it.

djjimkelly
11-05-2007, 10:54 AM
Thanks for putting words in my mouth. My point is that there is a QB controversy still lingering over this team and suddenly everyone seems to forget that after 1 decisive win.

I've never chosen sides on this QB thing and I'm not about to let one of you decide that for me. My point with Edwards is that he has more success on the field this year then Losman, try not to forget that.

actually i dont think edwards has had more success.

hear me out.

JP had team in lead vs denver with most conservative gameplan EVER. 1 special teams TD

JP also wasnt allowed to do **** vs pitt under 20 attempts just sad.

edwards had the D and special teams score 21 and put up 3. edwards didnt have team set to win the D did.

edwards beat the jets

JP came in 3-3 beat the jets

edwards beat the ravens who had 7 count em 7 starters out. and god help if boller was decent thank god hes not.

JP led team to highest yardage output in 5 years this weekend. and people can say 31st D but u know what. im sure we have played worse D's over the last 5 years. he still had best offensive day in last 5 years!!!!

justasportsfan
11-05-2007, 10:56 AM
Losman fans will probably not agree!

:oops: Why does it have to be "Losman fans" ?

How about "bills fans that want to win NOW tand want the best players in there will not agree. "

mybills
11-05-2007, 11:06 AM
I stopped reading after this part.

After the Dallas loss, when the Bills were at their absolute low point, coach Dick Jauron told his team to put it behind them and move on. We’re about to begin a new season, an 11-game season, Jauron said, and there’s no reason we can’t win them all.

The Bills were just young and naive enough to believe it.
:shakeno:

RedEyE
11-05-2007, 11:13 AM
You guys are hilarious. I'll bring this thread back up next week when Jauron has to make a desicion.

mybills
11-05-2007, 11:18 AM
When a coach says to his team, "there’s no reason we can’t win them all." it's to encourage them to fight on. This clown turns it into them being naive? Why doesn't he just call them stupid. :rolleyes:

RedEyE
11-05-2007, 11:30 AM
When a coach says to his team, "there’s no reason we can’t win them all." it's to encourage them to fight on. This clown turns it into them being naive? Why doesn't he just call them stupid. :rolleyes:

There is a lot to dislike about dear ol' Dick. His style of coaching is something that leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. I honestly don't understand how he's motivated this team to win anything as most of what I hear coming out his mouth has negative connotation.

Meathead
11-05-2007, 11:33 AM
:lolpoint: sullivan

Wys Guy
11-05-2007, 12:02 PM
Do you agree with Jerry Sullivan this week?

Sullivan: But the offense played with a palpable resolve on Sunday, like a unit that wanted to perform at its best for an embattled teammate. It was encouraging to see, regardless of where you stand on the Losman-Edwards debate.

Several things, whatever the Bills do they had better settle on something.

They change their minds, perenially now, like we change underwear. "Continuity" is a concept that seems to be lost in the modern era at One Bills Drive. It's a shame quite frankly.

But hey, that's what we're left with because we perennially now have coaches that need to validate their continued existence in their capacities in this job. So they do what they do in the selfish interests of having a job the following season instead of what may actually benefit the team over the long haul.

Alas however, continuity also only matters with good coaching/organization, which sadly, we don't have. I agree with Sullivan's statement, that the offense played with a "palpable resolve" on Sunday, almost as if it were a playoff environment. Yet, in spite of that, the Bengals, Cincinnati, was still in the game up to the last couple of minutes. We had a home crowd too.

This nonsense about a new season 11-0 is for fools and the gullible. This is exactly what this team has been all about for nearly a decade now, playing off of the emotions of its fans while whitewashing the realities of this team and its most dire issues in hopes that "no one, or few, will actually notice." It is and only continues to be a house-of-cards.

Well, more and more have and are noticing. We've beaten two miserable and hapless teams, both of which are in the running for the worst two teams in the league, OK, so 2nd and 3rd worst after Miami then. The Ravens showed up without several very key players and really aren't anything but a very mediocre team tops, and on that day they weren't even that w/o Heap and with Boller, yet McGahee had one of his best performances of all time anyway.

That's nothing to build anything substantial on. Those merely tallying wins will be content saying that "a win is a win," but is it? Is a win over a quality team really the same as a win over a scrub team such as the Jets or Bengals, and one playing poorly? What does it mean besides what it means at face value.

In two wins vs. the Jets both games were highly unentertaining IMO. The Ravens game also wasn't particularly entertaining, moderately entertaining let's say.

This past Bengals game was the first and only game in the Levy-Jauron era wherein the Bills more or less showed up to play most of a game thoroughly although they did have their lapses. That's one of 24 games in an era of those that many of you support.

The Bills aren't fooling anyone that doesn't want to be fooled. I say that because I believe that many do want to be fooled and have their heads filled with false hopes for whatever reasons they choose. That's been the MO for this team now in the modern era of steady state free agency throughout it.

Is it worth sitting through 8 live home games hoping to get two or three entertaining ones, win or lose?

Is it worth going to a select two or three games hoping that the ones you pick are the ones that don't make you leave the lot saying "dang, what an utter waste of time and money!?"

This team has had to try far too hard to beat teams like the Jets twice and the Bengals for two of their four wins, and has had to rely on the Ravens showing up w/o key players to their O in order to squeeze a win out of yet another mediocre team as its shaping up for anyone to start seeing much positive on the remainder of the season.

As well, contrary to the opinions of some and the perceptions prior to the season starting, our schedule hasn't been tough outside of three games, NE who was kind to us, Pittsburgh, and Dallas, who did everything that they personally could to make things as comfortable as possible for us and hand us the game without actually running backwards into their own end zone.

OK, so we beat the fins this coming weekend. And I'm not even suggesting that's a given. But what would it mean being 5-4 with four wins over teams such as the Jets, Fins, and Bengals? Are some of you as fans actually proud of that? If so, then I simply don't get it.

What if I could snap my fingers and make us 11-5 w/o any merit whatsoever, and put us in the playoffs? What would be the logical outcome there? Getting utterly dusted and dominated in the fundamentals as I see it. Yet, seemingly many of you would be happy with that. Why?

So it really does depend on each individual fan's personal goal for this team. I do not understand the "a win is a win" mentality nor am I satisfied with wins over the wretched with us having to put forth playoff caliber efforts in front of a home crowd to do it. Some are I suppose, but at season's end, when the rest of things doesn't unfold as preferred, those same people that spout "a win is a win" are ready to go buy 200' of rope at the nearest hardware store and go on a lynching spree at OBD. Isn't that a little inconsistent?

Anyway, for fans enjoying seeing 160 lb. 8th grade Billy Badass roust on the 5th graders who are half his size, and dish out a beating, great, congratulations, you should be fully content.

Others, and there are plenty if not the majority these days, that want to quit hearing speeches like some of the quotes by Jauron in Sullivan's article and would rather just see some competence on game days against teams besides the worst 25% in the league!

This team is not good nor "coming together" as a result of Sunday's game. Sorry, it just isn't. It's a talent bereft team that is poorly run, barely ekes out wins against the weak and feeble, and has a front office that treats its fan base as a ship of fools, some deservedly so. I hate to be the bearer of the obvious here, but other bad teams have also taken the Jets and Bengals to task too. Naturally you'd all dismiss those teams however for no other reason than they're not your team. It's senseless.

This team doesn't have the talent, has not exhibited the line play, is too poor in the fundamentals, to do much else than what it's done namely, take 4 full quarters to beat the worst teams in the league on efforts exhibiting "palpable resolve," and usually with a home crowd that they won't be seeing in "winnable" games henceforth this season for the most part.

Writers and the organization are going to continue to try to suggest or convince you otherwise. Don't allow yourselves to be set up like bowling pins, and please, start demanding more from your team instead of shovelling down the swill that these people serve you.

15 years ago fans would have been all over a player that failed to stop a big play score or allowed a return TD, etc., ... in a blowout win! Today, in the midst of a glaringly so-so or even poor game overall, everyone marvels at how a single player actually did his job at a respectable level once or twice in a game.

What a sad state of affairs for this fan base generally speaking.

Wys Guy
11-05-2007, 12:03 PM

Because that's not expedient mybills. ;)

Dick will be fighting for his job come week 12.

Wally The Barber
11-05-2007, 12:07 PM
Jerry always bring out the best in Buffalo fans!

Wys Guy
11-05-2007, 12:13 PM
Jerry always bring out the best in Buffalo fans!

Don't give Jerry credit that the Bills' organization deserves. ;)

TigerJ
11-05-2007, 01:11 PM
It is not unreasonable to think Edwards might well have had a really good game, maybe his best game as a Bill. It has been pointed out numerous times by many people that Cincinnati has a crappy defense, but even considering that crappy defense it wasn't a bad day for the offense. Cincinnati has given up more than Buffalo scored twice previously. Once was that wild shootout in the second game of the season against Cleveland (Cleaveland scored 51 to Cincinnati's 45). The other time was to powerhouse New England.

I've been saying I would be happy with either Losman or Edwards as the starter. The Bills simply need to decide. I still feel that way, however, I think the Bills lockerroom hasswung decidedly in Losman's favor. I don't think that coaching should be a popularity contest. Jauron shouldn't make his decision based on a straw poll of players, but given that the competition between them is pretty even, the opinion of the players does have to be considered, especially since it appears to be such a strong opinion. Jauron could have a real mess on his hands if he doesn't pick Losman when Edwards is finally healthy. That doesn't necessarily mean that Losman starts in 2008. It would be better if the same guy starts in 2008 that finishes 2007, but that's a bridge Buffalo will have to cross when the time comes. Right now, it just appears as if Losman has some chemistry going and is the prophibitive favorite in the lockerroom, and those things count for something.

Night Train
11-05-2007, 03:24 PM
It's just his opinion and little else.

I do understand the concerns with Losman. All the same, I don't understand what people see in Edwards. " He's not Losman " isn't good enough.

I see issues with deep arm strength, mobility and progression through his reads. I hated Holcomb for those exact shortcomings so Savior Edwards better be more than a Bill Walsh endorsement or we're basically screwed another 3-4 years, since Losman probably will never get his extension here.

justasportsfan
11-05-2007, 03:28 PM
I do understand the concerns with Losman. All the same, I don't understand what people see in Edwards. " He's not Losman " isn't good enough..

I can see TE is really smart and definitely a pocket passer. Even when JP had all time , he was in his twinkle toes mode. The way someone would look when he's dying to take a pee.

I see issues with deep arm strength, mobility and progression through his reads. I hated Holcomb for those exact shortcomings so Savior Edwards better be more than a Bill Walsh endorsement or we're basically screwed another 3-4 years, since Losman probably will never get his extension here. Walsh was most likely looking at Trent from a WCO perspective.If we stick with TE IMO we should get rid of Fairchild and hire a WCO OC or someone who knows how to run a screen pass or slants.

shelby
11-05-2007, 03:32 PM
TigerJ pointed out last night, and i agreed, that Jauron has already committed to Edwards as the starter. i find it hard to believe that he will reverse his decision after one good game by JP. If Losman starts against the Fins, it doesn't really matter, because we should be able to beat them easily no matter who the QB is.

i like Losman a lot. i want him to be successful. And there's no denying that he and Evans have great chemistry. But i am also willing to give Edwards a shot. As long as we're winning games.

This whole "QB controversy" is a figment of the imagination being perpetuated by the media and some of the posters on this board. Jauron will make the call, and the team will accept it, no matter what their personal preference may be.

justasportsfan
11-05-2007, 03:33 PM
Jauron will make the call,
Ralphy will and Dick will just be the megaphone.