PDA

View Full Version : Losman and Jauron thoughts... via text

patmoran2006
11-05-2007, 04:22 PM
So I'm texting back and forth with my boy at work today about the game yesterday. This guy is a HUGE Losman fan and he HATES Jauron.

I figured he'd be in his glory after JP's awesome game yesterday. He wasn't. Well, he was, but not as much as I thought.

He wrote: "it aint that i dont like jp anymore it's that im detaching myself from him cause wilson aint ever going to pay him he wants trent so i'd rather play trent now to get more experience"

Then went on about Jauron/
"i hate this guy but wtf. 0-3 start everybody hurt, poz simpson price gone lots of others miss games including starting qb yet were 4-4 and in the playoff hunt. how can anybody hate that?

I thought about it, and I have to agree on both points.

1- I also like Losman. But I have to agree with the guy. I TRULY dont think Wilson is going to pay him. and before anybody gives me the "he paid dockery, schobel, kelsay, walker" company line-- lets agree that they NEEDED those guys, while it's the worst kept secret in bills history that wilson loves edwards. So having said that, even if I like losman a bit better now (which I honestly dont know) it makes me want edwards to play so he has more experience and isnt like a rookie next season. Then again, we're entering a potential playoff race and for now anyway, I think Losman will give us a better chance (I think anyway, WTF I dont know anymore)

2- Man, I realllyyyyyyyyyyyyy do not like jauron. But I'm starting to wonder how anyone can say he's NOT doing a great job. This team was ravaged by injuries, and started out 0-3. We all (including myself) were having top draft choice discussions a month ago. Now we're 4-4 and at the least on the fringe of a fun playoff race. His team doesnt give up, they do play hard for him and you can clearly see the chemistry coming together.

I think his playcalling and some of his game decisions blow balls, but then again Fairchild is to blame for a lot of it too. This guy keeps this team ready to play, you must give him credit for that. A lot of lesser character teams (uhhh Bengals) would've packed it in already this season.

Thoughts?

billser
11-05-2007, 04:35 PM
I like both Losman and Edwards but i dont seem to understand the "pay" issue with Losman. If schobel was "needed' and was paid for, why wouldnt the same happen with Losman if he was a "need." It seems to me that if Losman proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that we needed him and he was the qb of our team, he would get paid. As of now, if u can get the same production, even perhaps a tad less, for much less money, u do it. Now im not saying trent and losman are the same, Im just speaking of what seems to be the consensus feeling on Losman in the organization, that hes a GOOD qb that can be substituted for with less money. If that is the case, Im all for it.....if the organizatoin felt that he was a top notch qb , and a "need", i feel liek he would be paid. Does anybody here feel comfortable with tying up loads of money for Losman? Im not sure hes proved that yet.

patmoran2006
11-05-2007, 04:41 PM
I like both Losman and Edwards but i dont seem to understand the "pay" issue with Losman. If schobel was "needed' and was paid for, why wouldnt the same happen with Losman if he was a "need." It seems to me that if Losman proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that we needed him and he was the qb of our team, he would get paid. As of now, if u can get the same production, even perhaps a tad less, for much less money, u do it. Now im not saying trent and losman are the same, Im just speaking of what seems to be the consensus feeling on Losman in the organization, that hes a GOOD qb that can be substituted for with less money. If that is the case, Im all for it.....if the organizatoin felt that he was a top notch qb , and a "need", i feel liek he would be paid. Does anybody here feel comfortable with tying up loads of money for Losman? Im not sure hes proved that yet.
The difference between Losman and Schobel I think is that Wilson likes Edwards more than Losman, while with Schobel of course there isnt another DE Wilson would like more.

I'm not saying saying Wilson is right or wrong, and making this into a JP vs Trent thread, I'm just pretty convinced that Wilson likes Edwards and therefore isnt going to pay Losman what he may end up deserving due to that.

billser
11-05-2007, 04:46 PM
The difference between Losman and Schobel I think is that Wilson likes Edwards more than Losman, while with Schobel of course there isnt another DE Wilson would like more.

I'm not saying saying Wilson is right or wrong, and making this into a JP vs Trent thread, I'm just pretty convinced that Wilson likes Edwards and therefore isnt going to pay Losman what he may end up deserving due to that.

Why do u think Wilson likes Edwards though? If JP performed like a top notch qb, would the same be true? I mean, im sure fans see things different,...but i can also see it from an economic side. But also, given what Losmans done, would u want to tie him up for more money, ala the contract Schobels gotten? ....im not sure about that answer, and i like JP

ublinkwescore
11-05-2007, 04:50 PM
Losman needs to just go for an incentive based contract until he can show he's a consistent winner.

He's yet to show that - but god I hope he does because I want to be able to sport my Losman Jersey every sunday.

Yasgur's Farm
11-05-2007, 04:59 PM
Here's my "biased" view...

1) JP gives us the best chance at a, "now realistic", playoff season.
2) If JP leads the Bills to a 1st round win, Ralph will have no choice but to offer him an extension of some kind.
3) I believe JP will decline the extension and move on.
4) I believe Lee Evans will play out his contract and move on.
5) I believe we will have a problem signing FA's because of this situation.
6) I believe we'll have touble keeping any of our young players beyond their initial contracts.
7) I HOPE I'M WRONG!!

acehole
11-05-2007, 05:02 PM
I am coming around on Juron and like Perry.
Fairchild has a good playbook but is hit or miss
with the playcalling. As I said before JP has to play
exceptional to keep his job........ if he does he
will be extended. The consiquences go beyond JP.
L Evans will walk if JP gets a raw deal..the rest of
the vets wont like it if they have to sqander some
good years of thier careers waiting to see if TE can
throw the long ball or he improves his int problems. I
am sorry but Trent Edwards is not more important then
the team as a whole and I dont think it is wise to gamble
the teams whole future on one player. He is a good player
with alot of promise but he has not proven anything in this
league. I dont think anything is engraved in stone here. Dont
be suprised if this situation flips around and Trent is the one that
is traded. The good thing about this situation is it has brought out
the best in both QB's and that is a testimate to the coaching staff.
I am glad you have changed your mind on JP this week. What should
be the concern here is if JP plays Exceptional...you better hope he wants
to stay here. I think this team has turned some corner this weekend. I cant
explain it...but there is synergy here that should not be tinkered with via the
qb situation. The excitement just payed off as we got a Sunday night game for the first time in a while...and that means extra dollars for the old fart. I dont think the dink and dunk non redzone offense has the same allure it did prior to the Jets game. If it doesnt sell tickets or bring excitement or the wins what good is it? Yea you will save $$ with "Trend" Edwards but you will need it...because the fans will be home sleeping...........Wonder if we do this and the savior doesnt pan out? What then? Tear it all down and start again? Bring in a FA QB? Penny wise and pound foolish. JP has got 2 years (This and next) Let him play out that contract. Trend Edwards can get better and stronger and just take the job when JP is gone. QB is not a position of need I think we can agree on that. Lets have one more draft one more offseason get some weapons for whomever is QB...and let the whole thing play out.

Philagape
11-05-2007, 05:12 PM
Setting aside who should be the QB now, the question of whether JP deserves a new contract is a legit factor. As of right now, he doesn't. He's been inconsistent and hasn't been able to be the cornerstone of a winning franchise like a good QB should. I think draz set a reasonable bar: a playoff win. Without that, no new deal. Then the question is, do we trade him or let him play out his contract and hit the market? I'd lean toward trading him. We don't need another year of this carousel, which it would be if JP doesn't play well enough to earn an extension.

Albany,n.y.
11-05-2007, 05:29 PM
Here's my "biased" view...

1) JP gives us the best chance at a, "now realistic", playoff season.
2) If JP leads the Bills to a 1st round win, Ralph will have no choice but to offer him an extension of some kind.
3) I believe JP will decline the extension and move on.
4) I believe Lee Evans will play out his contract and move on.
5) I believe we will have a problem signing FA's because of this situation.
6) I believe we'll have touble keeping any of our young players beyond their initial contracts.
7) I HOPE I'M WRONG!!
1) True-if he plays like yesterday.
2) Not true, JP has another year left and Ralph has the choice to let him fight it out with Edwards next year before giving him any extension. Rex Grossman started last year's Super Bowl & he's now benched and not extended.
3) A QB that a team wants has no ability to move on on his own since a team can franchise him. If JP moves on it will be because the Bills don't want him, not the other way around.
4) Maybe, it depends if JP is starting somewhere else, is here or riding pine somewhere else. Once again, there's a thing called the franchise tag.
5 & 6) You are wrong. This is an up & coming team that will look good to free agents. Free agents want to win & only care about 2 things: Can the team be a contender if I join them 2) Are they paying me more than anyone else who can contend with my help would be paying me.

acehole
11-05-2007, 05:32 PM
This is all fine...but wonder if T Edwards cant get us there either? The bus for him too? You are all making a dangerous assumption that Trend Edwards is better.....

JP is under contract next year also isnt he?

This debate is over isnt it?

Setting aside who should be the QB now, the question of whether JP deserves a new contract is a legit factor. As of right now, he doesn't. He's been inconsistent and hasn't been able to be the cornerstone of a winning franchise like a good QB should. I think draz set a reasonable bar: a playoff win. Without that, no new deal. Then the question is, do we trade him or let him play out his contract and hit the market? I'd lean toward trading him. We don't need another year of this carousel, which it would be if JP doesn't play well enough to earn an extension.

Philagape
11-05-2007, 05:38 PM
This is all fine...but wonder if T Edwards cant get us there either? The bus for him too? You are all making a dangerous assumption that Trend Edwards is better.....

JP is under contract next year also isnt he?

This debate is over isnt it?

I don't know what others think, but I know I haven't said Edwards is better overall. I just know he's competitive with a fourth-year vet as a rookie. That's impressive. Leaving out any comparisons, I've liked what I've seen in him ... for a rookie.

The danger of letting him play the final year of his contract is, he'll have the leverage and we'll likely lose him for nothing. A franchise tag means paying him as a top-five QB; if we're not willing to sign him long term, then I doubt we'd do that either.

acehole
11-05-2007, 05:49 PM
I don't know what others think, but I know I haven't said Edwards is better overall. I just know he's competitive with a fourth-year vet as a rookie. That's impressive. Leaving out any comparisons, I've liked what I've seen in him ... for a rookie.

The danger of letting him play the final year of his contract is, he'll have the leverage and we'll likely lose him for nothing. A franchise tag means paying him as a top-five QB; if we're not willing to sign him long term, then I doubt we'd do that either.

So then just let him go? T Edwards has to fill the shoes then anyway you slice it.........

Philagape
11-05-2007, 06:15 PM
So then just let him go? T Edwards has to fill the shoes then anyway you slice it.........

I think they should trade JP and get something. I don't think they should keep both another year, and IMO Edwards has a bright future.

Ed
11-05-2007, 06:44 PM

The only way JP would have leverage after next season is if he played really well. And if he played really well, wouldn't we want to keep him?

Philagape
11-05-2007, 07:11 PM
The only way JP would have leverage after next season is if he played really well. And if he played really well, wouldn't we want to keep him?

What I mean is, if JP goes into his final year without a new deal, he'll be looking at testing the market, unless we blow him away with a massive deal at the end. Look what happened to the Sabres this year. If your team didn't think enough of you to re-sign you in advance, wouldn't you want to look elsewhere?

JP would have to finish this year lights-out awesome, in a playoff run, to get a contract extension this offseason. If not, then we should trade him while we can still get something for him. I want something in return.
Keeping him another year under the same deal means another season of controversy and then losing him for nothing.