PDA

View Full Version : What is this team's top need/priority right now?

patmoran2006
11-05-2007, 04:38 PM
Until recently, I thought it was defensive tackle. But I dont know, Kyle Williams and especially John McCargo have been playing well. Williams gets no ink, but his play has picked up big time and he's been husting his ass off making tackles on the outside.

I used to think it was corner. But now I dont know. Jabrari Greer is a LEGITIMATE starting CB (ask TJ or TO). McGee was god awful last year but he's playing much better now. He's also very physical. So I don't know.

Now Im starting to learn towards a WR. I think they really need a guy who's big and physical and can make Touchdown catches in the red zone. It would also relieve some double teaming off Evans. I can't even imagine the numbers Evans would put up if he was in single coverage significantly more.

Then again, if Edwards is the guy next year, I think that a Jeremy Shockey type of tight end could be the highest priority. Edwards likes to throw to the TE and a good hands/playmaker like a Shockey or Jason Whitten would be a huge asset.

What do you guys think? If the season ended today, what would be your #1 priority with the team (besides firing Fairchild)?

alohabillsfan
11-05-2007, 04:59 PM
1) WR
1a) TE

Both will help with the glaring need of red zone production!

Ed
11-05-2007, 05:01 PM
I'm sure we could upgrade at a lot of positions, but I don't feel like we're really struggling at any one spot.

I'd probably go WR too though. I liked Price, but I think he's pretty much finished. I do like Reed and Parrish though also.

Maybe OLB, but I don't really have a problem with Ellison.

Philagape
11-05-2007, 05:03 PM
We've needed better WRs for two years.

Better run blocking would help too. A stud right guard and upgrade at center would be nice.

John Doe
11-05-2007, 05:03 PM
Until recently, I thought it was defensive tackle. But I dont know, Kyle Williams and especially John McCargo have been playing well. Williams gets no ink, but his play has picked up big time and he's been husting his ass off making tackles on the outside.

I used to think it was corner. But now I dont know. Jabrari Greer is a LEGITIMATE starting CB (ask TJ or TO). McGee was god awful last year but he's playing much better now. He's also very physical. So I don't know.

Now Im starting to learn towards a WR. I think they really need a guy who's big and physical and can make Touchdown catches in the red zone. It would also relieve some double teaming off Evans. I can't even imagine the numbers Evans would put up if he was in single coverage significantly more.

Then again, if Edwards is the guy next year, I think that a Jeremy Shockey type of tight end could be the highest priority. Edwards likes to throw to the TE and a good hands/playmaker like a Shockey or Jason Whitten would be a huge asset.

What do you guys think? If the season ended today, what would be your #1 priority with the team (besides firing Fairchild)?

My top 5

1 Wide Receiver. I think the offense actually misses Peerless Price some. One injury to Evans and we are in big trouble. I think that we draft one high and then pick up another with a lower round pick or free agency.

2. Defensive Back. Our DBs are playing well, but we don't have any real depth right now with Youboty still hurting. Kiwi Thomas is certainly replaceable and Webster is gone for good. McGee is playing well, but we need to limit his minutes somewhat so he can be fresh for kick returns. Either that or draft a kickoff returner - but we will be hard-pressed to find someone better.

3. Tight End or a true Fullback. We can do a lot better than Neufeld. Schouman is showing some promise as a reciever for a rook and he is a willing blocker but he does not have the heft to pound lead blocks out of the backfield.

4. Offensive Center/Guard or Tackle. I don't like our depth there, Preston in particular. We need to groom someone to push Fowler and take over after his contract expires or replace Chambers at flip tackle. We have been very fortunate that injuries have not hit us hard on the O-line.

5. Linebacker. Maybe we can find a good special teams guy with more upside than Stamer or Hagan.

venis2k1
11-05-2007, 05:05 PM
IMO the bills have several needs that should be addressed on the first day of the draft. LB and WR are big ones. next, CB is a position that could use an injection of young talent. C, TE, DT, and DE are needs too, depending if a good one should fall to us.

historypete
11-05-2007, 05:05 PM
A big WR who can be used as a Red Zone threat by going to catch those high fade passes.

A playmaking TE who can stretch the field.

A legitimate third DT, someone who is big and fat that can take up two blockers. I love McCargo and Williams has played well, but beyond that I'm still not happy with our other DT's.

billser
11-05-2007, 05:07 PM
I just love the fact that we now talk of positional draft picks simply for "upgrade"...coming into the season, i wouldnt have known where to start. Im loving this Bills team and the pieces Marvs put together. If we find a starter between Jp/Trent, we have a great team come next year!

acehole
11-05-2007, 05:09 PM
A mild sprain for Brady knee next week.

Philagape
11-05-2007, 05:15 PM
I just love the fact that we now talk of positional draft picks simply for "upgrade"...coming into the season, i wouldnt have known where to start. Im loving this Bills team and the pieces Marvs put together. If we find a starter between Jp/Trent, we have a great team come next year!

It's a nice position to be in because the whole team will be back, and there should be a crapload of money to spend. 2008 is our window for a legit run, if the team Marv has built is good enough.

BAM
11-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Moulds type WR and Shockey or Gates type TE.

Man that would be sick.

The Answer
11-05-2007, 05:18 PM

WR/TE is top priority no matter what going into the offseason. The Answer would also like an upgrade at Center.

Also in the offseason we need to dump Triplett and bolster DT/DE.

~The Answer

Dr. Lecter
11-05-2007, 05:24 PM
WR in my book.

BillsOverDolphins
11-05-2007, 05:35 PM
needs: interior offensive-linemen, tall wr, and TE

Michael82
11-05-2007, 05:55 PM
A big possession type Wide Receiver!

Crisis
11-05-2007, 05:57 PM
A legitimate redzone threat...aka big pass catching TE or big possession WR.

Ebenezer
11-05-2007, 06:07 PM
Tie - #2 WR and sign Lee Evans.

Close 2nd - A true game changer on Def. Could you imagine this DL with a Bruce Smith-like game changer on one side and Aaron Schobel on the other?

Devin
11-05-2007, 06:54 PM
Draftboy has been saying for sometime now WR is one of if not our biggest priority.

I tend to agree with he and BAM, a threat opposite Evans or a big time TE. Having a guy like Witten here would be awesome.

We have more then one hole to fill, and id love to get a big time pass rusher opposite Schobel or perhaps another big presence on our OL. You could probably debate most any position.

Tatonka
11-05-2007, 07:08 PM
this is not a very good WR draft coming up.. i would love to see a trade for chad johnson or someone like him.. because i dont see a wr in the first round that is worth the pick. which is fine because you can get good value on a guy that is not an absolute burner but big and strong.. aka moulds type guy.. but i would prefer FA or trade for the wr #2 because there is too big of a learning curve for rookie wrs.. we need to make a run now.. not in 2-3 years.

TE is a huge need and has been for a while.. i think that no matter what kind of offense you run, you need a guy like winslow or gates...

a center.. i am down on fowler, but i would love to get bigger and meaner there.

DT - i like williams and mccargo, and i dont hate tripplett like some, but he is a rotation guy.. but we could use another one.. assuming mccargo continues to improve.. he should be a beast by next year.. why not put another guy there like that? a henderson, stroud, seymor, harris type guy. you can never have too many dominant DTs.

LB is fine if we are all healthy there.

youboty looked good before getting hurt.. and i like mcgee and greer fine.. but another one would be great. competition makes you better.

Ingtar33
11-05-2007, 07:10 PM
Needs:

QB
C/RG
tall skilled TE/WR
blocking FB & OLB
DL
DB

eyedog
11-05-2007, 07:18 PM
Qb ???? So they used a #1 a few years ago on Losman and many are ready to kick him to the curb, including the owner because he's cheap.
You draft another good young qb this year. And now you want to use a premium pick on antoher qb ?

NO.

Ingtar33
11-05-2007, 07:27 PM
straight up, the play we get from our QB position is mediocre.

Edwards might be the guy. Losman might be the guy. but until you know who will take you to the promised land, you don't have a QB. There is a saying in football, that goes... "if you have two starting quarterbacks, you really don't have 1 starting quarterback."

It's true.

We have a 4 year player, who can't put to rest a QB debate against a rookie. Worse, neither is "great" or even approaching a reasonable definition of "good" at the moment.

Until that situation is settled, you have to admit our QB situation stinks and has to be addressed.

Since the question in the post, is what are our team needs now, not in the off season, not, what might they be for 2008, QB tops the list.

eyedog
11-05-2007, 07:33 PM
It's amazing what a qb can do when he gets time to throw.

Forward_Lateral
I think the team needs:

1.) A BIG possession #2 WR.
2.) A playmaker at Free Safety.

B-DON

Edwards might be the guy. Losman might be the guy. but until you know who will take you to the promised land, you don't have a QB. There is a saying in football, that goes... "if you have two starting quarterbacks, you really don't have 1 starting quarterback."

It's true.

We have a 4 year player, who can't put to rest a QB debate against a rookie. Worse, neither is "great" or even approaching a reasonable definition of "good" at the moment.

Until that situation is settled, you have to admit our QB situation stinks and has to be addressed.

Since the question in the post, is what are our team needs now, not in the off season, not, what might they be for 2008, QB tops the list.

Agree 100%

eyedog
11-05-2007, 07:35 PM
Anyone who thinks a rookie qb who has basically done nothing should be starting is crazy.
I think Edwards has a future but it isn't right now.

HHURRICANE
11-05-2007, 07:37 PM
1) WR

2) DEs

3) LBs

4) DTs

eyedog
11-05-2007, 07:39 PM
1) WR

2) DEs

3) LBs

4) DTs

I agree with this but would change the order a little and add o-lineman.

Mr. Cynical
11-05-2007, 07:41 PM
needs: interior offensive-linemen, tall wr, and TE

I agree 100%.

Mr. Cynical
11-05-2007, 07:43 PM

It's true.

Very true. JP had his chance and he aint it. TE has only had 4 games so we need to see more. But if we have a shot at a legit star, we have to go for it.

YardRat
11-05-2007, 07:43 PM
1-Wide receiver
2-Center
3-TE

Mr. Pink
11-05-2007, 07:44 PM
1. C - Fowler gets no push and half the time ends up in the backfield, same old story from his days in Cleveland. And people wondered why I lambasted this signing 2 offseasons ago.
2. TE who is a redzone threat
3. WR someone who is a legitimate option opposite Evans
4 Corner Toast McGee is not a number 1 corner, he's a nickle corner at best
5. DT who get pressure on the QB
6. DE opposite of Schobel who's good at both the run and pass

EDS
11-05-2007, 08:08 PM
On defense, I still think the team needs a true diffence maker on the defensive line, particularly on the interior.

On offense, the o-line still needs work and the team desperately needs a viable second receiving option behind Evans.

I am going to take a wait and see approach with respect to quarterback for the rest of the season. Whether it is Losman, Edwards or someone else, the Bills need some consistency behind center.

TigerJ
11-05-2007, 09:15 PM
McCargo and Williams are doing fine, but there remains a need to upgrade the rotation. Tripplett has played somewhat better, though he's no Tommie Harris. Jason Jefferson doesn't make many plays. Thus, I think the Bills will draft a DT in the first three rounds. I think a big WR might be the biggest need, though that role might be filled by a good stretch the field receiving TE too.

mysticsoto
11-06-2007, 07:00 AM

It's true.

I have to say that this is the 1st time I have disagreed with something you've said. JP did start out slow this year, but toward the end of last year, he was starting to turn it up. Just b'cse a QB has a few bad games, doesn't make them a bad QB. Favre threw way too many interceptions last year and had an overall so-so year. Yet this year, he is lighting it up. JP has no other great target to go to besides Evans. Reed has been okay, but he is a 3rd WR not a #2. We have no #2 on the team. Also, until the now emergence of Lynch, we didn't have a RB that could take the pressure off of JP. Willis' dancing routine did nothing to scare defenses. Lynch on the other hand forces defenses to respect his speed, shiftiness and power! The Oline has also started playing better as of late. If they continue, I predict JP will start putting up bigger numbers.

Getting a new rookie QB will do nothing for us next year. Trent is a pretty good prospect and his greenness is apparent. We don't need another green QB on the roster. What we need is a large target for them to throw to besides our speedy Evans! One that will help give secondary targets to our QB and one who will be available for jump balls in the endzone!

We also need to get more creative in our offensive packages and even include things like tackle eligibility in the endzone and get Jason Peter's soft hands involved. At 6'4" and with his long hands and heavy body, he can fight for a ball alot better than many CBs could. In the very least, it gives defenses another thing to worry about - but our offenses' lack of creativity is in and of itself another thread entirely...

BidsJr
11-06-2007, 07:23 AM
I have to say that this is the 1st time I have disagreed with something you've said. JP did start out slow this year, but toward the end of last year, he was starting to turn it up. Just b'cse a QB has a few bad games, doesn't make them a bad QB. Favre threw way too many interceptions last year and had an overall so-so year. Yet this year, he is lighting it up. JP has no other great target to go to besides Evans. Reed has been okay, but he is a 3rd WR not a #2. We have no #2 on the team. Also, until the now emergence of Lynch, we didn't have a RB that could take the pressure off of JP. Willis' dancing routine did nothing to scare defenses. Lynch on the other hand forces defenses to respect his speed, shiftiness and power! The Oline has also started playing better as of late. If they continue, I predict JP will start putting up bigger numbers.

Getting a new rookie QB will do nothing for us next year. Trent is a pretty good prospect and his greenness is apparent. We don't need another green QB on the roster. What we need is a large target for them to throw to besides our speedy Evans! One that will help give secondary targets to our QB and one who will be available for jump balls in the endzone!

We also need to get more creative in our offensive packages and even include things like tackle eligibility in the endzone and get Jason Peter's soft hands involved. At 6'4" and with his long hands and heavy body, he can fight for a ball alot better than many CBs could. In the very least, it gives defenses another thing to worry about - but our offenses' lack of creativity is in and of itself another thread entirely...

It's not that JP had only a few bad games. It's that he's only strung together a few good games in 4 years.

mysticsoto
11-06-2007, 09:16 AM
It's not that JP had only a few bad games. It's that he's only strung together a few good games in 4 years.

And what kind of Oline has he had in those previous years? You blame previous woes all on him instead of guys like Pucillo or Villarial...or (gasp) Greg Jerman??? What about coaching? Mularkey didn't have anything to do with our losses?

Toward the end of last year, JP started to turn it up. Regardless of whether we go with him or TE, both will need another viable target as our #2. Price is gone, and was not arguably the answer anyway. We have no one on our roster that has stepped up to #2 and we have no size for better red zone execution.

Seems like a no-brainer to me what we need for next year.

BidsJr
11-06-2007, 09:26 AM
And what kind of Oline has he had in those previous years? You blame previous woes all on him instead of guys like Pucillo or Villarial...or (gasp) Greg Jerman??? What about coaching? Mularkey didn't have anything to do with our losses?

Toward the end of last year, JP started to turn it up. Regardless of whether we go with him or TE, both will need another viable target as our #2. Price is gone, and was not arguably the answer anyway. We have no one on our roster that has stepped up to #2 and we have no size for better red zone execution.

Seems like a no-brainer to me what we need for next year.

The o-lines in Indy, NE and Cinci were said to have sucked before Manning, Brady and Palmer arrived. They get the ball out ALL THE TIME. Go deep when they have time and dump it off when they don't.

JP need the extra second or 2 to make decisions that they do not. All you have to do is look up the Sacks per attempts #'s on thsoe 3 QB's compared to JP.

Bottom line is JP looked nervous in the pocket with 7 seconds to throw last week.

He had a great game and I hope that he continues it, but until I see him calm under pressure I'm going to be skeptical.

Matter of fact the 1 play he was really pressured last week he threw a pick on a bone headed throw.

mysticsoto
11-06-2007, 09:34 AM
The o-lines in Indy, NE and Cinci were said to have sucked before Manning, Brady and Palmer arrived. They get the ball out ALL THE TIME. Go deep when they have time and dump it off when they don't.

JP need the extra second or 2 to make decisions that they do not. All you have to do is look up the Sacks per attempts #'s on thsoe 3 QB's compared to JP.

Bottom line is JP looked nervous in the pocket with 7 seconds to throw last week.

He had a great game and I hope that he continues it, but until I see him calm under pressure I'm going to be skeptical.

Matter of fact the 1 play he was really pressured last week he threw a pick on a bone headed throw.

I'm going to disagree with your last statement. Wind had alot to do with that pick and JP trying to compensate by throwing underneath so the wind wouldn't take it. Unfortunately, the throw came up short b'cse of it. Far be it from me to criticize Edwards b'cse I do like him alot, but I have not seen him throw a strong long ball, and feel he would have fared worse with the wind last week...the broadcast downplayed the wind, but it was a bigger factor than they made it sound...

patmoran2006
11-06-2007, 11:52 AM
yanno.

After thinking about it. I think OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR is our top priority. If we can get a OC in here who's creative and knows how to play the team's offensive strengths, and make the defense respect our skilled players more- it would cancel out Jauron's bad game management.

Jauron stinks at that, but hey man this guy has this team ready to play every week and he has them believing in each other. Get a better coordinator to call the plays and run the offensive side of things. Yeah, that's my top priority if this was my team.

Mitchy moo
11-06-2007, 11:55 AM
I'm going to disagree with your last statement. Wind had alot to do with that pick and JP trying to compensate by throwing underneath so the wind wouldn't take it. Unfortunately, the throw came up short b'cse of it. Far be it from me to criticize Edwards b'cse I do like him alot, but I have not seen him throw a strong long ball, and feel he would have fared worse with the wind last week...the broadcast downplayed the wind, but it was a bigger factor than they made it sound...

What about his big arm being able to compensate for the wind?? One pressure play, one INT. He had all day to throw all day this past sunday.

bigbub2352
11-06-2007, 11:56 AM
We need a number 2 and 3 WR, a reciving TE, a good run blocking C, and a real H-back, otherwise on D i think we need a OLB for Ellison's spot unless they move over DIg when Poz comes back, a DT to compliment McCargo and Williams, and thats about it

Lynch23
11-06-2007, 12:01 PM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">FB has to be a #1 priority, whe have a rookie running straight into the backs of our o-line, imagine if he had someone taking out the first unblocked man, he would be on the second level making those jukes and cuts.</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

mysticsoto
11-06-2007, 12:10 PM
What about his big arm being able to compensate for the wind?? One pressure play, one INT. He had all day to throw all day this past sunday.

It wasn't his arm that caused the interception. It was his mind. He made a mental decision to try and limit the height his throw would reach in order to minimize the wind effect. That resulted in a net throw that was substantially reduced. A mental mistake.

And he certainly had more than one pressure play. I remember several runs that he did b'cse he was pressured and no one was open. Overall, he did have alot of time, but to say he only had one pressure play is exaggerating greatly!!!

mysticsoto
11-06-2007, 12:14 PM
<table style="width: 497px; height: 110px;" id="HB_Mail_Container" unselectable="on" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr width="100%" unselectable="on" height="100%"><td id="HB_Focus_Element" unselectable="off" background="" height="250" valign="top" width="100%">FB has to be a #1 priority, whe have a rookie running straight into the backs of our o-line, imagine if he had someone taking out the first unblocked man, he would be on the second level making those jukes and cuts.</td></tr><tr unselectable="on" hb_tag="1"><td style="font-size: 1pt;" unselectable="on" height="1">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Did you copy this quote from somewhere??? It seems to be formatted as though it was...

In any case, a FB as a #1 priority would show very little knowledge of the game. Even top FBs aren't picked before the 2nd or 3rd rd. To address your comment however...wouldn't it be nice if our huge Oline could also make holes besides their great pass blocking. I suspect they will get better as time progresses (this is the 1st year they've been together without multiple changes all around). We do need to start grooming a better Center, however...

Akhippo
11-06-2007, 12:41 PM
I think they need to go after Bryant Johnson from Arizona. We wouldnt get anything out of a WR for about 2 years.
Drafting in the first would have to be something up the middle. Either G/C or DT.
Second round I would look TE or OLB.
Then to finish they need a corner and project WR.