My First Playoff Thread/How 9-7 (5-3 finish) could get us in.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Patrick76777
    • Jul 2002

My First Playoff Thread/How 9-7 (5-3 finish) could get us in.

It’s beneficial that we’re in the AFC East and (Cross my fingers) we should get 4 wins in the bag. This is a nice change as usually, The Jets, Bills and Phins beat each other down and they all miss.

The first step in the tiebreaker process is to break all ties within the division. No way we catch NE for the East title and if we end up being tied with the Jets or Miami, the point will be moot because since they already have 8 losses, that would mean that we would have at least 8 losses and 8-8 is not getting in.

But I think 9-7 could do it. 4 times since the new division format was set up (2002), has a 9-7 team in the AFC made the playoffs. I bet the number in the NFC is much higher. I know 8-8 teams have made it in the NFC.

As it stands now, we’re at 4-3 in the AFC. Since we don’t have to worry about divisional tiebreakers, we just need to worry about head to head and AFC record. From doing this every year, I can tell you that a 7-5 AFC record usually puts you in great shape to win the tie breaker as most teams will end 6-6 or worse in the AFC (They do this by beating up on the NFC every year).

That being said, if we can get to 8-4 in the AFC, we’d almost be guaranteed to win any tiebreaker. Of course, for that to happen, we’d need finish with the same record as the teams we were tied with. Duh!

The 4 games in question, both Miami games, in Cleveland and in J-Ville. (I’m still hoping we get J-Ville without Garrard) Plus, we should, knock on wood, Should beat Miami. Making that Cleveland game BIG!

If we win those 4 and one of the NFC games, we’ll finish 9-7 (8-4) and have head to heads over Balt, Clev and J-ville. That should give us the last spot assuming 9-7 is good enough to get in.

If we can win those 4 and beat 2 of the 3 NFC teams (@ Wash, NYG and @ Philly) we’ll be 10-6 (8-4) and there’s NO WAY we miss.

DISCLAIMER!!!!!

This is not a prediction thread; it’s only an informative thread.
    Resign our own guys!
  • Patrick76777
    • Jul 2002

Re: My First Playoff Thread/How 9-7 (5-3 finish) could get us in.

Can someone move this to the BillsZone.
    Resign our own guys!

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
      • Jul 2002

This is the time of year Pat hits his stride!

Comment

• Patrick76777
        • Jul 2002

Thanks guys!
        Resign our own guys!

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
          Zero for Zero!
          • Mar 2003

Nice work Pat.

And just think, if somehow the Bills upset the Pats.......
          Originally posted by mysticsoto
          Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Patrick76777
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
            Nice work Pat.

And just think, if somehow the Bills upset the Pats.......

I would've gotten killed in this thread if I put that in there. But if we do........
            Resign our own guys!

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
              Zero for Zero!
              • Mar 2003

Primetime upset baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              Originally posted by mysticsoto
              Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• JD
                Sabres Zone
                • Sep 2003

Shouldnt we worry about the Chargers or are people already writing them into the post season? I havent really looked at their upcoming games so I wasnt sure.
                “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

• Patrick76777
                  • Jul 2002

I could really see us finishing like this:

@Miami - W - 5-4
                  NE - L - 5-5
                  @Jax - W - 6-5
                  @Was - W - 7-5
                  Miami - W - 8-5
                  @Cle - W - 9-5
                  NYG - L - 9-6
                  @Phi - W(as they run for the bus) - 10-6

Playoffs!

Jax will be the toughest game. Let's hope that Grey is still playing at that point.
                  Resign our own guys!

Comment

• Patrick76777
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by JD SabreFan
                    Shouldnt we worry about the Chargers or are people already writing them into the post season? I havent really looked at their upcoming games so I wasnt sure.

The leaders in the West are at 4-4. It's KC and SD. Den and Oak look to be done.

I figure SD will win enough to take the Division and I don't see KC keeping up the pace. But they may be one of the teams we're fighing with.
                    Resign our own guys!

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
                      • Jul 2002

I BILLieve!

Comment

• Patrick76777
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Patrick76777
                        The leaders in the West are at 4-4. It's KC and SD. Den and Oak look to be done.

I figure SD will win enough to take the Division and I don't see KC keeping up the pace. But they may be one of the teams we're fighing with.

That being said, I did think that if SD can fall flat on their face, and KC wins that division, and we finish 10-6 and get the first WC spot, we'd go to KC for the first round and THAT would be a winnable game.
                        Resign our own guys!

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                          Peterman Sucks!
                          • Mar 2006

9-7 is not gonna be good enough to get in as a wild card in the AFC.

Tennessee is already 6-2 and playing really good ball...they could finish 12-4 easily. Fisher has done an awesome job this year.

Cleveland has the weakest schedule of the teams in the playoff chase after they get down with Pittsburgh this weekend...They got Hou, SF, Ari, Cincy left to go, so that should be 4 wins there. They'll figure out a way to win 1 of the other 4 at least and go 10-6. I honestly feel whoever wins Sunday in the Browns-Steelers matchup is winning the North so Pittsburgh could join in on the wild card group.

Jacksonville is a non-factor. Quinn Gray is garbage and has to play 4 straight games unless Garrard gets better faster than anticipated, with their schedule, I outlined this in the thread Pat Moran started before I could see them lose their next 6. Due to the QB issue and teams they play after Garrard is supposed to be back. San Diego and Indy if memory serves me right.

Baltimore to me is another non-factor, they're lockerroom and chemistry is in shambles. Ray Ray is calling out Billick weekly for gameplans and their starting corners are both hurting. Not too mention their offense, like Ray Ray stated, is absolute garbage.

KC has played over their heads so far, expect SD to win the division and KC to finish 7-9 ish. No factor there for us.

So our main factor opponent in making the playoffs is the Browns or Steelers, depending on how this Sunday goes down. It's gonna take us at least going 6-2 to get there though and I don't know if Buffalo's O can hang with the Browns. And we've already lost the tie-breaker to the Steelers.

Comment

• Patrick76777
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!

I knew someone was going to post that.
                            Resign our own guys!

Comment

• Patrick76777
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!

Tennessee is already 6-2 and playing really good ball...they could finish 12-4 easily. Fisher has done an awesome job this year.

Cleveland has the weakest schedule of the teams in the playoff chase after they get down with Pittsburgh this weekend...They got Hou, SF, Ari, Cincy left to go, so that should be 4 wins there. They'll figure out a way to win 1 of the other 4 at least and go 10-6. I honestly feel whoever wins Sunday in the Browns-Steelers matchup is winning the North so Pittsburgh could join in on the wild card group.

Jacksonville is a non-factor. Quinn Gray is garbage and has to play 4 straight games unless Garrard gets better faster than anticipated, with their schedule, I outlined this in the thread Pat Moran started before I could see them lose their next 6. Due to the QB issue and teams they play after Garrard is supposed to be back. San Diego and Indy if memory serves me right.

Baltimore to me is another non-factor, they're lockerroom and chemistry is in shambles. Ray Ray is calling out Billick weekly for gameplans and their starting corners are both hurting. Not too mention their offense, like Ray Ray stated, is absolute garbage.

KC has played over their heads so far, expect SD to win the division and KC to finish 7-9 ish. No factor there for us.

So our main factor opponent in making the playoffs is the Browns or Steelers, depending on how this Sunday goes down. It's gonna take us at least going 6-2 to get there though and I don't know if Buffalo's O can hang with the Browns. And we've already lost the tie-breaker to the Steelers.

I'm not sold on the Titans yet. They're winning by small margins. You say that they could finish 12-4, But at the same time they could finish 2-6 for a 8-8 finish.
                              Resign our own guys!

Comment

Working...
                              X