PDA

View Full Version : "If You Perform, You'll play."

Oaf
11-06-2007, 05:27 PM
Dick said that in his interview with BB.com. Is that a good way to go about things, or is his philosophy flawed?

Edwards got the nod against the Jets, played well, earned time until his injury. JP came in, played well against the Jets, earned time against the Bengals, played well, earned time against the Fins. Will this cause our QBs to play mental games in their head, knowing if they don't "perform" in the short term, they won't play?

shelby
11-06-2007, 05:36 PM
Well, motivation is never a bad thing. For example, if your boss told you in a performance review that you would be fired if you didn't start producing, i bet you'd work twice as hard for the sake of keeping your job.

mikemac2001
11-06-2007, 05:40 PM
Well, motivation is never a bad thing. For example, if your boss told you in a performance review that you would be fired if you didn't start producing, i bet you'd work twice as hard for the sake of keeping your job.

Nah id just piss in his coffee

G. Host
11-06-2007, 06:17 PM
Losman does not play well when he does not have competition and hopefully he will keep his head in the game and play well when facing tougher defenses but I think Jauron has to do what he thinks is best for the team not the QBs. If a QB can not read the defense and needs to be pulled so be it. Losman has shown he is willing to work, study playbooks and film so hopefully this will make him a better QB.

Wys Guy
11-06-2007, 06:49 PM
"If You Perform, You'll play."

Dick said that in his interview with BB.com. Is that a good way to go about things, or is his philosophy flawed?

Does that mean that Dick packs his bags and leaves town?

Goobylal
11-06-2007, 08:36 PM
Losman does not play well when he does not have competition and hopefully he will keep his head in the game and play well when facing tougher defenses but I think Jauron has to do what he thinks is best for the team not the QBs. If a QB can not read the defense and needs to be pulled so be it. Losman has shown he is willing to work, study playbooks and film so hopefully this will make him a better QB.
JP did well last year and had NO competition. The problem this year has been Fairchild. Why couldn't the offense be doing stuff like they're doing now at the BEGINNING of the season?

Not to mention the defense has become incredible since the Pats game.

acehole
11-06-2007, 08:40 PM

Edwards got the nod against the Jets, played well, earned time until his injury. JP came in, played well against the Jets, earned time against the Bengals, played well, earned time against the Fins. Will this cause our QBs to play mental games in their head, knowing if they don't "perform" in the short term, they won't play?

I mentioned this weeks ago...he had outs...he used one of them. He can go back and fourth at will. I dont think it happens. I think unless jp is injured JP will play out the rest of the year. I think it has brought out the best in both players...not the mind games or the locker room split or anything else that some have tried use. If I am D Juron I dont want to saddle what could be my last NLF coaching job on an unknown commodity like Trend Edwards. I lobby for JP. IMHO.

Wys Guy
11-06-2007, 08:55 PM
JP did well last year and had NO competition. The problem this year has been Fairchild. Why couldn't the offense be doing stuff like they're doing now at the BEGINNING of the season?

Not to mention the defense has become incredible since the Pats game.

Hey Goob,

Losman didn't play well last year. He simply had a bunch of deep throws for TDs. Otherwise he was piss poor.

Goobylal
11-06-2007, 08:59 PM
Not that he had much help on offense. What with Price being washed-up, Royal having the dropsies, when he wasn't staying home to block, issues at RG, and McGahee's lousy attitude.

Philagape
11-06-2007, 09:27 PM
Not that he had much help on offense. What with Price being washed-up, Royal having the dropsies, when he wasn't staying home to block, issues at RG, and McGahee's lousy attitude.

Except for the RB attitude, not much has changed. Receivers still suck, running game still struggling, although not because of the RB. RG is still an issue. And the same staff of course.

Oaf
11-06-2007, 10:31 PM
Trend Edwards.

Did you mean to misspell that? Not bad lol.

Mr. Cynical
11-06-2007, 10:48 PM

Answer in red....

acehole
11-07-2007, 05:51 AM
Did you mean to misspell that? Not bad lol.

Yes. That is all he was....

justasportsfan
11-07-2007, 01:18 PM
Hey Goob,

Losman didn't play well last year. He simply had a bunch of deep throws for TDs. Otherwise he was piss poor.
Mr. Statguy ,JP was ranked 11 last year. Qb rating of 84.9 . How do you like them stats?

You might want to twist them around to fit your opinion. Then again that would mean that stats are meaningless which would also mean none of the stats you put up mean anything either ;)

Wys Guy
11-07-2007, 01:30 PM
Mr. Statguy ,JP was ranked 11 last year. Qb rating of 84.9 . How do you like them stats?

You might want to twist them around to fit your opinion. Then again that would mean that stats are meaningless which would also mean none of the stats you put up mean anything either ;)

It's great. It's also ironic coming from someone that has allergies towards stats and breaks out in hives when anyone else cites a single stat.

Here's one for ya, he was one of the worst red zone QBs in the league.

So now, which do you think is more important, QB rating which was inflated by three games vs. three of the worst teams in football last year leaving Losman poor otherwise statistically in that area, OR, his consistent inability to do much with the football once he crossed the opponent's 20?

Tick, tick, tick, ...

Hurry, time's running out!

;)

I didn't know that you thought Losman was all that good last season.

justasportsfan
11-07-2007, 01:31 PM
It's great. It's also ironic coming from someone that has allergies towards stats and breaks out in hives when anyone else cites a single stat.

So now, which do you think is more important, QB rating which was inflated by three games vs. three of the worst teams in football last year leaving Losman poor otherwise statistically in that area, OR, his consistent inability to do much with the football once he crossed the opponent's 20?

Tick, tick, tick, ...

Hurry, time's running out!

;)

I didn't know that you thought Losman was all that good last season.

and he twists the stats. Told ya stats don't mean squat. They don't paint an entire picture. Thanks for playing. :up:

PS I didn't think JP was all that good . He wasn't horrible under the circumstances either.

Wraith
11-07-2007, 01:47 PM

Tick, tick, tick, ...
Another typical Wys post. For a guy who claims to be a football analyst, you're wrong about an awful lot.

Losman's stats in the redzone last season:

19/33 (57.6%), 135 Yards (7.10 YPC, 4.09 YPA), 8 TD (24.2%), 1 INT (3.0%), 2 SACKS (1 SACK/17.5 DROPBACKS), 94.1 RATING

For comparison, lets look at Peyton Manning this season:

22/42 (52.4%), 120 Yards (5.45 YPC, 2.86 YPA), 7 TD (16.6%), 0 INT (0.0%), 2 SACKS (1 SACK/22.0 DROPBACKS), 97.8 RATING

So the sample sizes are very, very close, which is why I made the comparison. Peyton Manning is also a multiple MVP Award winner, current Super Bowl winner and MVP, and quarterback of a team that up until Sunday was undefeated. Losman, being the incompetent you think he is, should be much worse than him, right? Oh wait....

When they got to the red zone, Losman completed more of his passes (5.2% more), for more yards (1.65 YPC more), and more touchdowns (7.6%) more. Manning had ONE fewer interception and the same amount of sacks.

Gosh, Losman sure SUCKED in the red zone last year!

You're wrong about Losman's red zone ability just like you're wrong about his short passing game. Typical Wys.