How do you beat Tom Brady and the Pats???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kerr
    Hall of Fame Zoner
    • Feb 2005

How do you beat Tom Brady and the Pats???

Even though the colts were without 4 starters I believe, they couldn't get the job done. I didn't really watch a lot of the game(pats vs colts), but it seems like DJ and co. will have to take some notes on how to contain brady and the offense. The colts did a decent job until the 4th quarter it seems. They started giving up the deep stuff rather than the short. I know for a fact DJ won't give up the deep stuff seeing as how the cover 2 is designed to take it away. I saw that one play when Moss streaked down the field and caught the ball over one of the colts cornerbacks for a big gain who was already downfield by the team he got there. Again, he used his body and height to shield the defender away from the ball. I think it was a mistake to give Moss any cushion at all. Luckily we have corners that play physical and can jam him at the line. Our corners make look small, but like to play physical. Seeing as how their height is a disadvantage, they don't want want to allow moss the opportunity to catch a jump ball. I believe this is what DJ and co. did last time to Moss, but it wasn't enough as Brady found other ways to beat the defense. Aside from Moss, what else would they need to do?

Discuss.
  • casdhf
    • Jul 2002

Re: How do you beat Tom Brady and the Pats???

Pressure with our front 4. This is the game where Schobel and Kelsay need to step up and earn their checks. I don't care if they don't register a sack, but if they're knocking Brady on his ass all day I will be happy.
    Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
    cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• Ickybaluky
      • Jul 2003

Don't you guys have a game this week?

I'll play though. Pressure Brady without sending extra guys, and drop as many as possible into coverage. Play your S deep to take away the deep ball, and play man-under to disrupt the timing for the WR. If they catch the ball underneath, come up and punish them.

Double Moss on the outside, forcing him to work the middle. Moss is key. The guy has 12 TDs already this year. For contrast, the Bills have 13 TDs as a team, and only 9 of those are from the offense (2 on ST, 2 on defense).

Offensively, this is a tough match-up for the Bills. Though Indy ran the ball on the Pats, it was largely because they were playing nickel and dime defenses the whole game. They are tough to run on, and will try to stuff the run against the Bills. The Bills should run play-action on first down early, throwing when they don't expect it. Keep hitting short passes and running to control the clock and keep the Pats offense off the field.

You can take deep shots on occasion, because that is what Evans does, but quick-strikes aren't the answer to beating them. The Pats play their S deep and don't give up a lot of deep plays, and quick strikes put more pressure on your defense.

Play well on ST. The Pats have been excellent on ST this year, much improved from the last couple years, so this isn't as big an advantage for the Bills as it has been in the past.
      Last edited by Ickybaluky; 11-07-2007, 07:15 AM.

Comment

• alohabillsfan
        • Sep 2003

Defense- the pressure has to come from the middle make Brady move, hit him, knock him down... Punish the underneath receivers after the catch and hopefully cause turnovers...

Offense- I agree with NE, this has to be a ball control type game for the offense keep at least 3 WR in the game and run the ball effectively we must move the chains and score TD's!

Bottom line is the Bills have to play a near perfect game and be plus 2 in turnovers to win!

P.S. Beat Miami First!

Comment

• mybills
          81 st zoner
          • Jul 2002

NE's better at stopping the run, than they are at covering deep. JP - Lee will be doing most of the work.

Colts blew that game at the end. It's not like they were dominated. NE will most likely dominate the Bills, but they won't stop them from scoring more points this time. Unless of course, JP starts having flash backs of Wilfork. But who knows, it might be payback time for Wilfork.
          I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• Ickybaluky
            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by mybills
            NE's better at stopping the run, than they are at covering deep. JP - Lee will be doing most of the work.
            That would play right into their hands and is the exact opposite way of beating them.

- The Pats defense is only allowing 184.7 passing yards per game, 5th best in the NFL.

- They are only allowing 6.4 YPA, which is tied for 6th best in the NFL.

- They have only allowed 18 passing plays of 20+ yards, tied for 6th best in the NFL.

- They have only allowed 1 passing play of 40+ yards, 2nd in the NFL (The Steelers haven't allowed one yet).

- The Pats have 12 interceptions, tied for 3rd best in the NFL.

The Pats S are almost always in a cover-2 alignment to take away the deep ball. Their front-7 is so good, they don't bring the S up to take away the run unless forced to. Trying to beat them with the deep ball is suicide, because they are good at defending it and because it wouldn't each much clock and put more pressure on your defense, tiring them out.

BTW, Lee Evans has really never done anything against the Pats. He is one guy they seem to focus on taking away. It is the other guys that have to play well to beat them. Reed and Parrish need to step up, and for crying out loud throw a screen or flat pass to Lynch. He is dangerous and a tough matchup for the Pats big LB in space.

Comment

• Buffatexas
              • Aug 2002

1a:Beat Miami
              1b:Get to Brady early and often.
              2: Ball Control
              3: Pressure WRs
              4: Hit hard

extra credit: when pushing out of bounds, aim for belicheat

Comment

• mybills
                81 st zoner
                • Jul 2002

Ya know NE, you don't have to go on and on with all of their stats (even though none say 1st), but why didn't you post how much better they are at stopping the run...which is what I pointed out.
                I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Buffatexas
                  1b:Get to Brady early and often.
                  2: Ball Control
                  IMO, these are the essentials to stand a chance. We put NO pressure on Palmer, and Brady will pick us apart if we dont fix that.

Ball control is a must. We cannot try and go shot for shot with the Pats. We need to have long, sustained drives that end in points. We need to keep Brady off the field.

Last point, we need our special teams to have a big play
                  Last edited by FlyingDutchman; 11-07-2007, 08:16 AM.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                    • Mar 2005

I have to admit that I am the expert here on this one:

1) Brady hates to be hit early. The games he's struggled are where he was hit early. Once he's in the zone you are done. You'd be better off taking a 15 yard late hit just to throw him off of his game.

2) Have a LB pass rushing on every down. The difference between 4 seconds in the pocket and 5 seconds for Brady is huge.

3) Run a pass oriented offense first and get points early. Run the ball in the second half and keep New England off the field. They are a second half team for sure.

Look it's easier said than done. If you don't convert 3rd downs on offense you will lose to the Pats every single time.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                      Peterman Sucks!
                      • Mar 2006

How to beat the Pats....

1. Control the ball and clock - keep their O off the field as much as possible. In fact if we have 4th and 1 anywhere, I'd go for it.

2. Doubling Moss or taking away Moss is a NO NO. Someone else will step up and have a huge day if you do this. Browns took away Moss for all intents and purposes and Ben Watson had a huge day. We don't seem to do well against TEs as it is. That strategy has disaster written all over it.

3. Get pressure on Brady. Mix up blitzes, disguise coverages, do whatever it takes to give many different looks so that he doesn't get in rhythm or comfortable back there.

4. Don't throw deep. As NE stated throwing deep won't work against them, take what they give you underneath. Their safeties hardly ever come up against the run and are great vs the pass.

5. Don't turn the ball over. At all. Ever.

You literally need to play a perfect game against this team to beat them. Even if they aren't perfect themself, if you make mistakes they will beat you.

Comment

• acehole
                        • Jan 2006

I think we need to use Rosco Parrish and special teams to pull this one out.
                        A little trickery on special teams...nobody would fault us knowing we are outclassed. They are not that fast on Deffense...I would love to see a 3,4,5 reciever set with Lynch in the back on the delay...asisde of that run blitz every play and lay the wood on Brady.

Originally posted by Kerr
                        Even though the colts were without 4 starters I believe, they couldn't get the job done. I didn't really watch a lot of the game(pats vs colts), but it seems like DJ and co. will have to take some notes on how to contain brady and the offense. The colts did a decent job until the 4th quarter it seems. They started giving up the deep stuff rather than the short. I know for a fact DJ won't give up the deep stuff seeing as how the cover 2 is designed to take it away. I saw that one play when Moss streaked down the field and caught the ball over one of the colts cornerbacks for a big gain who was already downfield by the team he got there. Again, he used his body and height to shield the defender away from the ball. I think it was a mistake to give Moss any cushion at all. Luckily we have corners that play physical and can jam him at the line. Our corners make look small, but like to play physical. Seeing as how their height is a disadvantage, they don't want want to allow moss the opportunity to catch a jump ball. I believe this is what DJ and co. did last time to Moss, but it wasn't enough as Brady found other ways to beat the defense. Aside from Moss, what else would they need to do?

Discuss.
                        Hated by the stupid..
                        Loved by their moms.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

FTY I think is right on, Let Moss get his, but dont let yourself get beat by Welker, Stallworth, or Watson. JP and Lee need to find that soft zone between the CB and the S playing Cover 2 which should be around the 15-17 yard mark and exploit it all day. Force the Pats to bring their S up some and I dont think they can run with Lee or Roscoe deep step for step, but you need to get them closer to the line first.
                          COMING SOON...
                          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• mybills
                            81 st zoner
                            • Jul 2002

"What to watch for in the season's second half - Look for Ben Watson and Donte' Stallworth to become bigger targets down the stretch."
                            ~Pat Kirwan - NFL.com

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                              • Jul 2003

Originally posted by mybills
                              Ya know NE, you don't have to go on and on with all of their stats (even though none say 1st), but why didn't you post how much better they are at stopping the run...which is what I pointed out.
                              They have had games where they struggled against the run. Though they rate 5th in the NFL against the run, they are giving up 4.2 yards per rush on the year. They have been so ahead that teams haven't run a lot.

You talked about going deep to Evans, which is exactly not what to do. The biggest struggles they have had on the year are:

- Defending the run in passing situations. They have been gashed by big runs in their nickel defense. If I were the bills, I wouldn't try to load up and mash it, because the Pats are big enough up front to stuff it. Instead of beating you head against the wall, spread the field with WR and run out of that formation. That hurt them against both Indy and Dallas.

- Defending the short pass. Everyone saw the game Addai had against them. If I were Buffalo, I'd look at that and try to get the ball out to Lynch in space and have their LB try to tackle him in the open field.

Comment

Working...
                              X