X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

Lynch vs Peterson

Watching Peterson tear up the league I have to admit has made me real jealous. Not because I think he's better than Lynch but he has such a sweet deal running behind what has become the best OL in the league. I have honestly not seen an OL so good since the Priest Holmes glory days and this one might be even better. What makes this OL so good is Matt Birk. He has to be the best run blocking OL in the league.

Watch this video and youll see the massiveness of the holes Peterson is running through. Pay close attention to Birk, we need a C like that.

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

(Its called NFLTA: Midseason Rookie Report)

Honestly if Lynch had holes like that to run through he would be a monster too. As it is right now it takes 3 or 4 guys to take him down, imagine if all he had to do was beat 1 or 2 DBs.

One year from now im certain our OL will be much better than it is now but we need our Matt Birk. When that happens Lynch could out produce Peterson.
  • zone
    No, look. I do mind. The Dude minds.
    • Oct 2003

Re: Lynch vs Peterson

How about the Hutchinson effect? Look at what he did for Alexander in Seattle. He has sucked since Hutchinson left.

Those guys are opening holes that OJ could still hit for big gains. Unreal.
    www.blzbus.com

Comment

• Devin
      The Octagon
      • Apr 2003

Respectfully disagree.

As I said before I love Lynch, no question he will likely be a great RB for us for a long time.

But Peterson has been and will continue to be in a class of his own. He has a great OL yes, but absolutley no passing game, no WR's and generally he is that offense. Teams still havent been able to plan him. He runs over or through everyone and clearly can take it to the house almost at will.

Peterson imo is probably the best RB ive seen since Sanders. The thought of a rookie reeling off 2000 yards year 1 is just unreal to me.

I like Lynch, i truly do, but they arent in the same class at all.
      http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• Mahdi
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Devin
        Respectfully disagree.

As I said before I love Lynch, no question he will likely be a great RB for us for a long time.

But Peterson has been and will continue to be in a class of his own. He has a great OL yes, but absolutley no passing game, no WR's and generally he is that offense. Teams still havent been able to plan him. He runs over or through everyone and clearly can take it to the house almost at will.

Peterson imo is probably the best RB ive seen since Sanders. The thought of a rookie reeling off 2000 yards year 1 is just unreal to me.

I like Lynch, i truly do, but they arent in the same class at all.
        Did u watch the video? How many tackles is Peterson actually breaking?? I agree he's amazing,,, but his OL is making it easy for him.

Comment

• Mahdi
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by zone
          How about the Hutchinson effect? Look at what he did for Alexander in Seattle. He has sucked since Hutchinson left.

Those guys are opening holes that OJ could still hit for big gains. Unreal.
          Hutchinson has a HUGE effect no doubt. I was only pointing out C Matt Birk because I think thats the piece we are missing.

Comment

• Devin
            The Octagon
            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Mahdi
            Did u watch the video? How many tackles is Peterson actually breaking?? I agree he's amazing,,, but his OL is making it easy for him.
            Of course a good/great OL makes a difference.

We are talking about a rookie RB however, a guy who year 1 who has been splitting carries and who has been the lone star in an anemic minny offense literally carry the entire team.

A rookie who could very well rush for 2000 yards, something LT and LJ havent done. Ever.

Lynch is a good RB and will be productive, but in his entire career he may not come close to the numbers Peterson puts up year 1.
            http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• RockStar36
              Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
              • Sep 2004

I think it was well known before the draft that Peterson is better than Lynch and the only thing holding back Peterson is his injury history. Honestly, I don't mind Peterson getting most of the attention. It kind of keeps Lynch a little bit more under the radar which is fine with me.

D & S Sports

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                Defies all logic
                • Oct 2006

Lynch is going to be amazing but Peterson is in his own echeleon. AP just has the most explosive burst of speed that I've ever seen, he is just amazing. Lynch is a completely different runner, while Lynch is a capable homerun hitter his true knack is for getting them rough yards and dragging defenders for yards at a time.

Comment

• dannyek71
                  Drink Responsibly
                  • Dec 2004

Watch the applebees video on Marshawn. This guy could give Willis's IQ a run for its money.
                  [

Comment

• Mahdi
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Devin
                    Of course a good/great OL makes a difference.

We are talking about a rookie RB however, a guy who year 1 who has been splitting carries and who has been the lone star in an anemic minny offense literally carry the entire team.

A rookie who could very well rush for 2000 yards, something LT and LJ havent done. Ever.

Lynch is a good RB and will be productive, but in his entire career he may not come close to the numbers Peterson puts up year 1.
                    Ok Im not talking about any subjective analysis of this debate. Im talking objective undebatable Video evidence. These are not just yer basic gaps that Peterson is running through, breaking tackles along the way. Again all you have to do is watch the video and youll see that Peterson is having to make one cut and gone through gigantic holes. Lynch is having to fight through first, second and third contact to pick up 4 yards. What Lynch is doing is far more impressive IMO. Dont get me wrong Peterson is fun to watch as he glides through the field but his OL is dictating things more than he is, whereas Lynch is dictating things more then our OL is.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                      • Jul 2003

You people are nuts.

Peterson has broken plenty of tackles, he runs right through them. Part of the reason you see him in the open field is because he is so explosive he runs away from everyone.

Have you watched him finishing runs? He punishes tacklers.

Let's put in this way: Chester Taylor is a good back, a NFL-starter quality guy. He ran for 1,200 yards last year (9th in the NFL) and has run for over 3,000 career years at a 4.2 YPC carry clip over 6 NFL seasons.

Taylor runs behind the same line as Peterson and his YPC is a full 2 yards less. Peterson is that much better than the 9th-leading rusher in the NFL last year.

I like Lynch. He is a nice player with great change-of-direction and a good all-around game. However, he isn't Peterson. That isn't putting him down, it is just saying Peterson is a rare once-in-a-generation talent.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                        Roways rooking ahread!
                        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by NE39
                        Peterson is a rare once-in-a-generation talent.
                        Lets get a full season under his belt and call him that. Until then he looks great so far.

Comment

• Mahdi
                          • Mar 2004

You people are nuts.

Peterson has broken plenty of tackles, he runs right through them. Part of the reason you see him in the open field is because he is so explosive he runs away from everyone.

Let's put in this way: Chester Taylor is a good back, a NFL-starter quality guy. He ran for 1,200 yards last year (9th in the NFL) and has run for over 3,000 career years at a 4.2 YPC carry clip over 6 NFL seasons.

Taylor runs behind the same line as Peterson and his YPC is a full 2 yards less. Peterson is that much better than the 9th-leading rusher in the NFL last year.

I like Lynch. He is a nice player with great change-of-direction and a good all-around game. However, he isn't Peterson. That isn't putting him down, it is just saying Peterson is a rare once-in-a-generation talent.
                          Taylor has had like 5 carries a game,,, of course is avg will be lower. Less opportunity to break the big one. And Minnesota's OL is playing light years ahead of what it was last year also.

Comment

• Mahdi
                            • Mar 2004

You people are nuts.

Yeah he breaks tackles after he gets a full 10 yards to head up some steam. 5 yards behind the LOS and 5 yards beyond it. Lynch doesnt have that advantage and it plays a huge role in what you can do at the second level. And Lynch still gets his yards.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                              • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Mahdi
                              Taylor has had like 5 carries a game,,, of course is avg will be lower. Less opportunity to break the big one. And Minnesota's OL is playing light years ahead of what it was last year also.
                              Taylor ran behind the same line last year and ran for 1,200 yards. Peterson is lapping him.

You are making the Vikings OL out to be the best ever. Part of the reason they are so good is because Peterson is running the ball, not the other way around.

You haven't watched him enough. He breaks a lot of tackles. He finishes runs as well as any back in the NFL. He finishes like Walter Payton used to, which is to punish runners. He is a physical guy, it is just that he is so explosive most defenders can't get a good shot at him. He is gone before they get there.

You seem to take it as some slight on Lynch that Peterson is a great player. You don't have to put down Peterson to make Lynch look better.

Comment

Working...
                              X