• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Jan 2004

NHL falling back into a trap

It was nice while it lasted but it didn’t last very long. The National Hockey League is right back to its pre-lockout state, just one big slumber party.

Five games ended in shutouts on Monday alone. Nineteen of the league’s 30 teams were averaging fewer than three goals when play concluded Wednesday.

This isn’t the NHL. It’s the English Premier League.

The upgraded style of play that resulted from the lockout has been victimized by strategy. Coaches adjusted to the rule changes intended to promote skill and skating. Defense reemerged as the great equalizer for offensively challenged franchises. Nowadays NHL players are always in the zone, be it a 2-3, a 1-4 or variations thereof. The game can’t breathe.

“Zone defense right now, I would put it under the label of killing the game,” Buffalo Sabres coach Lindy Ruff said Thursday. And he plays it.

“Under the top of the circle it’s pretty well three forwards versus five defenders,” Ruff said. “Around the league it’s something that is very common. Ask all the top forwards. That’s why they’re struggling. There’s a lot of good goal scorers with two, three, four goals. A lot of good players aren’t ripping it up. The tendency seems to be going toward that again.”

Who says winning’s never boring? Minnesota is 9-4-2, Columbus 8-4-2. Both are averaging 2.7 goals. The New York Rangers are sitting at .500, having scored all of 31 times in 16 games. That’s entertainment? No, that’s how the under- skilled and less-talented survive.

“A lot of times you can’t do it through scoring,” Ruff said. “You have to do it through better defensive play. You can get by with average goaltending if you give up half as many chances as you did the previous year.

Last edited by Michael82; 11-09-2007, 12:32 PM.
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: NHL falling back into a trap

wow- coaches adjusted to keep their opponents from scoring goals. Who knew teams would actually try to stop the opposition from scoring?

LEAVE IT ALONE. I'm sick of all the **** penalty calls. If they keep up with all the rule changes, playing defense will become impossible.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Michael82
      • Jul 2002

Personally, I think the game is going back to the pre-lockout game and if that's the case, then the NHL is rather stupid. That's the game that had crappy ratings and was boring as hell. I know that I find myself falling asleep while watching a Sabres game right now. i miss the high scoring fast paced game from last year and definitely the year before.

Comment

• mchurchfie
        • Jul 2002

When players dump the puck in the defense is being allowed to impede them and hold them up from getting to the puck like the old days again. They are slowly reverting back to the same old boring NHL. The trap should be banished from the game, it is the worst thing that could have happened. On the flip side, if coaches are coming up with better ways to defend then the offensive minds need to come up with a strategy to counter that.
        My Band
        daveviterna.com

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Mikey82
          Personally, I think the game is going back to the pre-lockout game and if that's the case, then the NHL is rather stupid. That's the game that had crappy ratings and was boring as hell. I know that I find myself falling asleep while watching a Sabres game right now. i miss the high scoring fast paced game from last year and definitely the year before.
          it's stupid though- no matter what rule changes they make, coaches will adjust their playing style to stop the other team from scoring because that's their job.

Plus, I hate all these subjective ticky-tack penalties.

The only thing that might work: increase the scoring area. Make the goal bigger and/or the goalie pads smaller.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Michael82
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
            it's stupid though- no matter what rule changes they make, coaches will adjust their playing style to stop the other team from scoring because that's their job.

Plus, I hate all these subjective ticky-tack penalties.

The only thing that might work: increase the scoring area. Make the goal bigger and/or the goalie pads smaller.
            That would be the best thing they could do. Make the net bigger and definitely shrink the size of the goalie's pads. Those things are huge.

Comment

Working...
            X