PDA

View Full Version : TV Maps

The King
11-09-2007, 10:23 AM
Am I going to see the Bills game this weekend?

Someone please do the research for my lazy ass.

mybills
11-09-2007, 10:28 AM
please delete, I bumped the thread for you. :up:

The King
11-09-2007, 10:35 AM
I feel its important to leave this thread, so people can see how lazy I am.

The King
11-09-2007, 10:38 AM
also it wouldve been cooler of you to just say no. You are stuck watching the BS Brown play the Faggy Steelers.

OpIv37
11-09-2007, 10:39 AM
Am I going to see the Bills game this weekend?

Someone please do the research for my lazy ass.

didn't you buy a house? Why haven't you gotten DirecTV yet?

The King
11-09-2007, 10:41 AM
didn't you buy a house? Why haven't you gotten DirecTV yet?

I had direct tv 3 years ago and hated it. I lost it every rain storm.

mybills
11-09-2007, 10:53 AM
You are stuck watching the BS Brown play the Faggy Steelers.
No I'm not. I'm going to the Bills Backers Bar. :up:

The King
11-09-2007, 10:54 AM
No I'm not. I'm going to the Bills Backers Bar. :up:

The Harp?

mybills
11-09-2007, 10:55 AM
No, it's called Balls. lol

OpIv37
11-09-2007, 11:14 AM

that's cuz you had a **** install with poor signal strength.

The only time I ever have problems is during thunderstorms- regular rain doesn't even affect it.

BAM
11-09-2007, 11:23 AM

I've heard that a lot. Kind of glad I didn't actually switch a little while back!

OpIv37
11-09-2007, 11:26 AM
I've heard that a lot. Kind of glad I didn't actually switch a little while back!

it's bull****.

I don't have that problem and most other people with DirecTV don't have that problem.

The issue is that DirecTV uses private contractors to install the dish and some are better than others.

You can use the menu in the receivers to view the signal strength. My suggestion is to check it before the installer leaves and don't accept less than 90%. It will work at a much lower percentage in clear weather, but the lower the signal, the more susceptable it is to interference from weather.

billsburgh
11-09-2007, 11:37 AM
it takes a pretty severe storm for me lose my DTV. so it's very rare that I do.

BAM
11-09-2007, 11:40 AM
it's bull****.

I don't have that problem and most other people with DirecTV don't have that problem.

The issue is that DirecTV uses private contractors to install the dish and some are better than others.

You can use the menu in the receivers to view the signal strength. My suggestion is to check it before the installer leaves and don't accept less than 90%. It will work at a much lower percentage in clear weather, but the lower the signal, the more susceptable it is to interference from weather.

Possibly. But it's bull---- that a lot of people have gone through, including a few on the BZ.

OpIv37
11-09-2007, 11:44 AM
Possibly. But it's bull---- that a lot of people have gone through, including a few on the BZ.

well anecdotal evidence isn't exactly valid- you should probably look up some real statistics on it, if there are any. I really don't know.

All I can tell you is my own personal experience- I've had 3 dishes at two different locations ( a regular dish at my old condo, a regular dish where I live now which I upgraded to a 5LNB when I got HD) and I've never had those problems. It sometimes goes out during volatile electrical storms with heavy rain and that's it.

The only other time I had a problem was when a hurricane blew it out of position. At the condo, they didn't want anything bolted to the roof so I had to get a big concrete slab and bolt the dish to that. The hurricane winds weren't strong enough to rip it off the concrete but the dish acted as a sail for the winds and it blew out of position. Considering we get hurricanes like once a decade, I'll take my chances.

The King
11-09-2007, 11:45 AM
I like comcast, plus I have sirius so I get to hear the games at least.

OpIv37
11-09-2007, 11:46 AM
I like comcast, plus I have sirius so I get to hear the games at least.

you LIKE Comcast? They're the worst company I've ever dealt with in my life. I'd go back to Verizon internet before I'd get Comcast.

madness
11-09-2007, 11:48 AM
it's bull****.

I agree, it's bull. I've never even seen a hint of losing the signal since I've had DirecTV. I believe DirecTV even addressed this on their website. Unless the installer doesn't do a good job or the dish gets physically moved, there's not much mother nature can do to cause you to lose your signal.

I've checked with about 5 people on my block before switching over and there was one or two incendents at most.

BAM
11-09-2007, 11:49 AM
I like Comcast too, Bedard! On-Demand is untouchable. Service is incredible. Prices are not though. We did get rid of phone and downgraded internet service a little bit. Monthly bill is now only $89.

OpIv37
11-09-2007, 11:51 AM
I like Comcast too, Bedard! On-Demand is untouchable. Service is incredible. Prices are not though. We did get rid of phone and downgraded internet service a little bit. Monthly bill is now only $89.

I do like On Demand and wish DirecTV had some kind of equivalent, but at the moment it's impossible since dishes don't have uplink abilities.

However, Comcast customer service is the worst ever. And their prices are ungodly.

madness
11-09-2007, 12:02 PM

I have DirecTV + DSL + Phone for about a $100 through Verizon.

DirecTV forwards their bill to Verizon so it gets included into my Verizon bill. I also got the free upgrade for the modem w/ built wireless router and on my phone I get Caller ID, Call Waiting, Caller ID Call Waiting, and Voicemail plus unlimited local and long distance.

BAM
11-09-2007, 12:07 PM
However, Comcast customer service is the worst ever.
Got stats on that? :D

BAM
11-09-2007, 12:08 PM
I have DirecTV + DSL + Phone for about a $100 through Verizon.

DirecTV forwards their bill to Verizon so it gets included into my Verizon bill. I also got the free upgrade for the modem w/ built wireless router and on my phone I get Caller ID, Call Waiting, Caller ID Call Waiting, and Voicemail plus unlimited local and long distance.

Nice! For everything I wanted with DirecTV (plus package, HD, HD Plus, Sports package) it would've been almost $100 alone.

OpIv37
11-09-2007, 12:12 PM
Got stats on that? :D

this isn't a complete measure but it's a start: they have an unsatisfactory record from the BBB and rarely resolve complaints:
http://www.dc.bbb.org/codbrep.html?ID=10748&wlcl=y

OpIv37
11-09-2007, 12:14 PM
btw that's just from Arlington and Alexandria- it's not counting DC, MD, Loudon, Prince William or any of the other Comcast areas.

madness
11-09-2007, 12:21 PM
Nice! For everything I wanted with DirecTV (plus package, HD, HD Plus, Sports package) it would've been almost $100 alone.

Well, mine is going to go up because I'm going go HD soon since I'm about to buy a HDTV. (which reminds me to start searching for the TV threads in TZ)

BlackMetalNinja
11-09-2007, 12:47 PM
So I suppose those of us that have personally witnessed our DirecTV service go out during bad weather on numerous occassions, which includes several people on this site are just making that up since it hasn't happened to some of you?

BAM
11-09-2007, 12:53 PM
So I suppose those of us that have personally witnessed our DirecTV service go out during bad weather on numerous occassions, which includes several people on this site are just making that up since it hasn't happened to some of you?
DirecTV + Sunday Ticket + Superfan = :hump: :naughty: :cp:

Gunzlingr
11-09-2007, 02:06 PM

:wave:

OpIv37
11-09-2007, 02:08 PM

dude you need to read.

It was probably a bad install.

I know you're bitter because you can't get DirecTV but don't blame the company for user/installer error.

madness
11-09-2007, 02:11 PM
Exactly, nobody is saying it can't or doesn't happen.

Mitchy moo
11-09-2007, 02:23 PM
90% or better on the reception / signal & you'll have no troubles. I just hated spending $130 a month to direct tv. I hate them there.

BlackMetalNinja
11-09-2007, 05:23 PM
dude you need to read.

It was probably a bad install.

I know you're bitter because you can't get DirecTV but don't blame the company for user/installer error.

But I thought they were Gods of Customer Service compared to Comcast, how come they can't make sure half their dishes are installed properly?

The King
11-09-2007, 05:52 PM
good thing this thread didnt get deleted.

OpIv37
11-10-2007, 09:17 AM
But I thought they were Gods of Customer Service compared to Comcast, how come they can't make sure half their dishes are installed properly?

half? oh please. Where's your proof that anywhere close to that many are improperly installed?

tell you what. You call Comcast customer service right now and see how long you're on hold for. I'm going to go eat breakfast, shower, and watch a movie- maybe by the time I come back you'll be talking to someone. Oh, and enjoy those lovely 4-hour time blocks on weekdays they give you to fix your problem. And the cable bill that's much higher than mine.

But hey, you're right- one idiot had a bad install so Comcast must be better than DirecTV.

LtFinFan66
11-10-2007, 09:38 AM
I've heard that a lot. Kind of glad I didn't actually switch a little while back!I have had it 2 1/2 years and have had it go out maybe half a dozen times. Less times that my cable went out in the same time period prior to that. And we get storms almost every afternoon in the summer down here

BlackMetalNinja
11-10-2007, 10:26 AM
half? oh please. Where's your proof that anywhere close to that many are improperly installed?

tell you what. You call Comcast customer service right now and see how long you're on hold for. I'm going to go eat breakfast, shower, and watch a movie- maybe by the time I come back you'll be talking to someone. Oh, and enjoy those lovely 4-hour time blocks on weekdays they give you to fix your problem. And the cable bill that's much higher than mine.

But hey, you're right- one idiot had a bad install so Comcast must be better than DirecTV.
So the customer is the idiot because DirecTV has half assed contracters doing installs poorly?

I swear to God between you, Gr8slayer, and BillsIn05, DirecTV must be pouring some heavy sponsorship dollars into the BZ...

mybills
11-11-2007, 08:13 AM
good thing this thread didnt get deleted.
:spit:

OpIv37
11-11-2007, 10:14 AM
So the customer is the idiot because DirecTV has half assed contracters doing installs poorly?

I swear to God between you, Gr8slayer, and BillsIn05, DirecTV must be pouring some heavy sponsorship dollars into the BZ...

Well the contractor is the bigger idiot for doing it wrong but the customer is an idiot for not inspecting the contractor's work first. No one wants to take any responsibility in this country anymore. Learn about what you're buying or the service you're receiving BEFORE forking over the cash. Novel concept, I know.