PDA

View Full Version : Bills Rookie RB Lynch Has Thurman Thomas Impressed

madness
11-09-2007, 10:29 AM
By JOHN WAWROW
ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) -Thurman Thomas knows a thing or two about what it takes to build a successful career as running back in Buffalo.
So when the topic turns to Bills rookie first-round pick Marshawn Lynch, Thomas happily agrees with the initial comparisons that have been drawn between them.
"Yeah, there are some similarities," the Hall of Famer said this week. "But I think he might be a little faster than I was. And I think he's a lot tougher than I am, especially from what I've seen it takes to get him down on the ground."
That's high praise coming from the franchise's leading rusher and key member of the Bills teams that won four consecutive AFC titles in the early 1990s. Thomas, of course, notes that Lynch is only getting started and has much to prove.

And yet, he added: "With the way he's playing now, he could be a running back that could be here for nine or 10 years if he keeps his head on straight."

Lynch's initial reaction is silence when informed of Thomas' comments.
"It's an honor for him to even speak my name," Lynch said, finally. "I take it as a compliment for him to say something like that about me. But it's all talk until I make something here."

Article continues...
http://sports.excite.com/news/11092007/v8279.html

My favorite part...

And the only NFL offensive rookie Lynch is playing second fiddle to is Minnesota running back Adrian Peterson, who leads the league with 1,036 yards rushing and had the most productive rushing day in league history last weekend.
Not that it matters to Lynch, who was drafted 12th overall out of California, five spots behind Peterson. "That's all right. It's cool," Lynch said. "It doesn't matter if you all talk about me. I'm a Bill. You talk about the Bills and now we're talking."

madness
11-09-2007, 10:33 AM
Beast mode reference! Maybe we should make that the word of the day... for the rest of the season.

Right tackle Langston Walker is still getting accustomed to Lynch's ability to keep a play alive.
"Sometimes, you go out there and block and think the guy's down and you're thinking about the next play," And then you look over, and he has about five defensive guys on his back trying to get him down."
Walker added: "You watch it on tape afterward and it's like 'Damn, how'd he do that? How's he staying up after a hit that might knock any other runner down?"'
"Beast mode," is how Lynch likes to describe his style. "Beast mode is Marshawn when I'm on the field," Lynch said. "That's the mood I'm in. I just feel a will to never quit, never lay down or give up."