• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

AFC Playoff Contender Schedules

Could be wrong, but seemingly its going to go down like this.

I'm going to assume that SD ends up winning the AFC West, maybe with only 9-10 wins. I dont think KC or Denver get to 10 wins, 9 at the most.

That leaves four teams in good position to battle for two wild card spots.
    Jags 6-3
    Titans 6-3
    Browns 5-4
    Bills 5-4

Going by the schedules of the four teams, it looks like it will most definitely take 10 wins to get in the playoffs.

Of the four teams, I think the Bills by FAR have the hardest schedule with 3 of their last 7 games against NFC East teams, two on the road. That doesn't include next week's game against 9-0 New England.

Here are the remaining games for the four teams I consider contenders.

BUFFALO BILLS
    New England
    At Jacksonville
    At Washington
    Miami
    At Cleveland
    New York Giants
    At Philadelphia

Summary: That could be murder for us. It's very likely that the Miami game is the only of the final seven games Buffalo will be favored in. 35-28 current record of these opponents, tainted by Miami's 0-9 mark. Defeating Jacksonville and Cleveland on the road will be absolute necessities to have any kind of real chance.

CLEVELAND (5-4)
    AT Baltimore
    Houston
    At Arizona
    At Jets
    Buffalo
    AT Cincinnati
    San Francisco

Summary: Far and away the easiest schedule of the four teams. Only one of their last seven opponents has a winning record (Buffalo). Four of the last seven are on the road. Here's to hoping Baltimore finally gets an offensive clue next week, and that the Bengals get hot near season's end. It would take some very bad breaks and play to not see the Browns get to 10 wins. A loss to them all but would knock Buffalo out of the playoff race in week 15.

TENNESSEE (6-3)
    At Denver
    At Cincinnati
    Houston
    San Diego
    At Kansas City
    Jets
    At Indy

Summary: Could be a tough schedule, as only two home games look like gimmies (Houston, Jets). What worries me about the road game at Indy is the COlts will likely have nothing to play for and rest starters in week 17. Here's hoping Pittsburgh keeps winning and pushing Indy for that first round bye. I could easily see Tennesee getting to 10 wins with the way they play defense and run the ball.

JACKSONVILLE (6-3)
    San Diego
    Buffalo
    At Indy
    Carolina
    At Pittsburgh
    Oakland
    At Houston

Summary: We'll know in the next 3-4 weeks if Jacksonville is a playoff team. They're next 3 games are tough and Carolina is better on the road than at home. Only their last two games look like good bets at this point. Obviously, it's imperative that we beat them. If we do, I'm not sure the Jags get to 10 wins.
    =======================================================
    IN closing...
    With Cleveland's seemingly easy schedule, and Tennessee having a tough defense and two near-locks at the end of the year, I dont think there is anyway 9 wins earns a playoff birth.

To make the playoffs, in my opinion we have to win 5 of our last 7. Assuming we can't end the Patriots run Sunday, that makes it 5 of 6. If we beat Jacksonville in two weeks and Cleveland in December, I think we have a very legitimate shot.

But based on the schedules and the way the teams look now, if I was a betting man my money would be on Cleveland and Tennessee to be the AFC Wild Card teams.

I hope I'm wrong. Hey, at least we're in the mix right now.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Re: AFC Playoff Contender Schedules

ON the flipside.
    If Miami doesnt beat the Jets I think they're going 0-16

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• billsburgh
      • Jul 2003

realisticaly, if we lose to the pats next week,we need to run the table

Comment

• Patrick76777
        • Jul 2002

But are these teams that good anyway?

Cleveland's 5 wins, Baltimore, Cincy, Miami 0-8, St. Louis 0-8 and Seattle 4-4.

Yeah, this team must be great. Don't forget the big loss to Oakland.

We also have a tough one against Washington. You know, the team that lost to Philly today.

They've beat, Miami, Philly, Arizona and the Jets.

At least they did beat Det but Det is cursed in Washington. Surly we have no chance against this powerhouse.

Oh,and we play the Giants, the team that got smoked by Dallas today. They beat Washington above and the following squads

Miami
        SF
        Jets
        and Atlanta

How on earth are we going to beat these great teams?

It's not going to be the easist road, but let's not act like we play the Pats 7 times to finish the year.
        Resign our own guys!

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

Cleveland's due to implode. Their defense isn't that hot.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Devin
            The Octagon
            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by patmoran2006
            Could be wrong, but seemingly its going to go down like this.

I'm going to assume that SD ends up winning the AFC West, maybe with only 9-10 wins. I dont think KC or Denver get to 10 wins, 9 at the most.

That leaves four teams in good position to battle for two wild card spots.
            Jags 6-3
            Titans 6-3
            Browns 5-4
            Bills 5-4

Going by the schedules of the four teams, it looks like it will most definitely take 10 wins to get in the playoffs.

Of the four teams, I think the Bills by FAR have the hardest schedule with 3 of their last 7 games against NFC East teams, two on the road. That doesn't include next week's game against 9-0 New England.

Here are the remaining games for the four teams I consider contenders.

BUFFALO BILLS
            New England
            At Jacksonville
            At Washington
            Miami
            At Cleveland
            New York Giants
            At Philadelphia

Jags, Browns, and Miami we need to win for sure.
            http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• Patrick76777
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by billsburgh
              realisticaly, if we lose to the pats next week,we need to run the table

Not the case at all. We lose that game, we can finish 5-1 with wins over Miami, Jax and Cle and we'd finish 8-4 in the AFC and we'd win every tie breaker.

Even at 4-2, with wins over Miami, Jax and Cle we'd be 9-7 and we'd have most of the tiebreakers. Of course, then we'd need 9-7 to be good enough for the last spot, which would take some luck.

But running the table after a NE loss is not true at all.
              Resign our own guys!

Comment

• Devin
                The Octagon
                • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Patrick76777
                Not the case at all. We lose that game, we can finish 5-1 with wins over Miami, Jax and Cle and we'd finish 8-4 in the AFC and we'd win every tie breaker.

Even at 4-2, with wins over Miami, Jax and Cle we'd be 9-7 and we'd have most of the tiebreakers. Of course, then we'd need 9-7 to be good enough for the last spot, which would take some luck.

But running the table after a NE loss is not true at all.
                I do love win Patrick starts his playoff scenarios.
                http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

We also have a tough one against Washington. You know, the team that lost to Philly today.

At least they did beat Det but Det is cursed in Washington. Surly we have no chance against this powerhouse.

Oh,and we play the Giants, the team that got smoked by Dallas today. They beat Washington above and the following squads

Miami
                  SF
                  Jets
                  and Atlanta

It's not going to be the easist road, but let's not act like we play the Pats 7 times to finish the year.
                  The man makes a good point.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                  #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Patrick76777
                    • Jul 2002

Miami
                    SF
                    Jets
                    and Atlanta

And yes, I know they can say the same about us. But that's my point. These teams are on par with us, and there's no reason why we can't beat most of them.
                    Resign our own guys!

Comment

• Oaf
                      Do you read what you write?
                      • Jun 2007

I think if we win against Cleveland, Jax, Miami, and one other team, we just might be able to get away with 9-7.
                      It's all about those tiebreakers.

Comment

Working...
                      X