PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of 4 DE line formation?

G. Host
11-11-2007, 10:13 PM
I think now that we have all 4 DEs healthy it throws the opposing offense off a little. I know it probably will not make a BIG difference but I wish they would have waited until next week.

Hamilton Billsfan
11-12-2007, 07:11 AM
I was a bit stunned when I saw that. My first thought was that we had our DTs go down to injury and we were using this formation in an emergency.

However, our defence was on the field for a lot of the game and there was a real risk of the line tiring out. The booth kept going on about how the Bills were going to pay for that later in the game and that the Fish had the game in the bag.
To counter that , one has to rotate the Dlineman and I guess on a few occasions you get 4 DEs playing at the same time.

It was an interesting tactic that worked yesterday because we had the ball for most of the last 6 min. Just prior to that is when our D should have fallen apart and Miami score a lot. Also Miami wasn't in panic mode yet, I'm sure they felt they had lots of time left on the clock to take advantage of fact they overwhelmed us on time of possession.

Frankly, 4 DEs work against a really bad team like Miami but in my opinion, it would be suicide against New England. they would knowhow to counter that right away.
:nerd:

HHURRICANE
11-12-2007, 07:22 AM
Yeah, I saw it and the pass rush that resulted from it was, yet again, a joke.

Sorry people, but Schobel looks horrible out there.

BlackMetalNinja
11-12-2007, 07:23 AM
The NY Giants do it on occassion as well... of course they have DEs that are arguably a bit better than ours.

Hamilton Billsfan
11-12-2007, 07:42 AM
Of course, when I say it worked, I meant that it helped rest a defense that was on the field a lot while not getting burned big time for players not being in correct position.....:brush:

mysticsoto
11-12-2007, 07:54 AM

He had a few moments here and there, but clearly and this lower weight he is much more ineffective. I don't understand why it was done? He was having a great year last year...why mess with that? At 245 lbs, you can just be pushed around too easily by today's Tackles...occasionally, his speed is used to rush the QB into throwing before he's ready, but for the most part, Schobel gets neutralized...

HHURRICANE
11-12-2007, 07:59 AM
He had a few moments here and there, but clearly and this lower weight he is much more ineffective. I don't understand why it was done? He was having a great year last year...why mess with that? At 245 lbs, you can just be pushed around too easily by today's Tackles...occasionally, his speed is used to rush the QB into throwing before he's ready, but for the most part, Schobel gets neutralized...

Totally agree with the weight. I watched The Colts game last night and the ends, even after Freeney went out, were driving the O lineman back into Rivers.

The weight and strength issue is looming large here.

The funny part is that Schobel actually looks slower out there!!! Cleo Lemon out ran him and it wasn't even close. Where's his burst?

I think he's injured and we will hear about it after the season is over.

justasportsfan
11-12-2007, 09:40 AM
A lot of the teams have been doing this especially on 3rd down and long.

mysticsoto
11-12-2007, 09:46 AM
Totally agree with the weight. I watched The Colts game last night and the ends, even after Freeney went out, were driving the O lineman back into Rivers.

The weight and strength issue is looming large here.

The funny part is that Schobel actually looks slower out there!!! Cleo Lemon out ran him and it wasn't even close. Where's his burst?

I think he's injured and we will hear about it after the season is over.

Actually, it was reported that he had a groin injury and that he wasn't 100%. But since we don't have anyone better (sadly) we can't give him time to recover...

OpIv37
11-12-2007, 10:10 AM

Schobel made a couple plays- he was in on the safety and he forced a bad pass on that 3rd down bootleg. Also, both he and Kelsay have been taking more direct paths to the QB so they don't overpursue. This forces the QB to step up, whereas before they were just being guided past the QB and not impacting the play at all.

That being said, on the whole I agree. Schobel has had moments this season but generally hasn't played nearly well enough to justify his salary.