PDA

View Full Version : CBS can go **** themselves

OpIv37
11-11-2007, 10:53 PM
not only did their cameras go out during the game, leaving them only with the low-angle shot, but they cut the HD feed just before the Dolphins snapped the ball on their final offensive play to go to the Bengals/Ravens game.

Fortunately I was able to flip to the standard station just in time to catch the play.

WTF are they thinking cutting games just before crucial plays? It's embarrassing enough that they don't have enough HD crews to cover all their games and that their cameras don't work, but now they're leaving games just before crucial plays for some meaningless pre-game yapping.

I wish the NFL would just drop CBS already.

LtFinFan66
11-11-2007, 10:59 PM
Damn Op, are you ever happy

OpIv37
11-11-2007, 11:01 PM
Damn Op, are you ever happy

CBS makes millions covering these games and they can't even get it right- what's there to be happy about?

LtFinFan66
11-11-2007, 11:03 PM
Being married to a nice girl
Having a team that is not 0-9
waking up in the morning
Sunshine
Air to breathe

kinigirly
11-11-2007, 11:04 PM
its always ok to ***** about cbs. they are the biggest disservice to the nfl. i would pay good money to have our team on any other station.

OpIv37
11-11-2007, 11:05 PM
Being married to a nice girl
Having a team that is not 0-9
waking up in the morning
Sunshine
Air to breathe

This is a board to talk about football- not any of that other stuff. So only your second point is relevant.

OpIv37
11-11-2007, 11:06 PM
its always ok to ***** about cbs. they are the biggest disservice to the nfl. i would pay good money to have our team on any other station.

it's not bad enough that we get screwed by being in the tougher AFC- we also have to deal with inferior broadcasts.

LtFinFan66
11-11-2007, 11:10 PM
This is a board to talk about football- not any of that other stuff. So only your second point is relevant.Tell Dora that

OpIv37
11-11-2007, 11:19 PM
Tell Dora that

I still fail to see what Dora has to do with CBS's coverage sucking. She doesn't work for them.

Voltron
11-11-2007, 11:27 PM
WAAAAAAAAAA I don't get to see the game in a format that less then 10% of the country watches!!!! WAAAAAAA

:jk:

Ebenezer
11-11-2007, 11:28 PM
OP, with all due respect...stop *****ing about HD...you sound like your 8 and got cheated out of a sucker after a haircut...it really gets annoying to hear that you didn't get the "luxury" of watching something in HD. Be happy you have a damn TV and a roof over it. For crying out loud, you really are a spoiled little kid.

Ebenezer
11-11-2007, 11:29 PM
I still fail to see what Dora has to do with CBS's coverage sucking. She doesn't work for them.
you completely missed his point...and that is terrible.

clumping platelets
11-11-2007, 11:29 PM
:popcorn:

clumping platelets
11-11-2007, 11:30 PM
I gotta work with :eb:

Cannot be worse than that :shakeno:

Mudflap1
11-11-2007, 11:33 PM
I mean, yes, there are worse things to worry about. But Op is right -- that was crazy! We were watching the game at my dad's house, poised for the last play, then poof! Ravens were on. Luckily, we switched to the non-HD channel really quickly, but that was almost "Heidi-like" today, they can't do that anymore.

Jon

mikemac2001
11-11-2007, 11:36 PM
i was more mad at customers buggin me on 4th down plays...and towards the end of the game

sold 0 phones during the game sold 6 in 2 hours after...but OP atleast you werent watching it on a 7inch screen

LtFinFan66
11-11-2007, 11:37 PM
you completely missed his point...and that is terrible.Thank you

Voltron
11-11-2007, 11:38 PM
i was more mad at customers buggin me on 4th down plays...and towards the end of the game

sold 0 phones during the game sold 6 in 2 hours after...but OP atleast you werent watching it on a 7inch screen
Are you kidding!!! He will not put up with such old technology!!!! :snicker:

LtFinFan66
11-11-2007, 11:39 PM
I was watching Sunday NFL ticket so they don't switch away:up:

Ebenezer
11-11-2007, 11:45 PM
wait!!! you mean that Op with all his fancy schmancy cutting edge technology toys doesn't pony up for the NFL ticket??? slacker.

G. Host
11-11-2007, 11:46 PM
Many are even unaware that HD is going to be forced down viewers throats whether they want it or not.

<basefont>Kneuer has made numerous appearances in recent months before committees on Capitol Hill providing updates to members of Congress who have expressed concern that the public is still largely unaware that the transition is coming.
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20071110/D8SQM8480.html

Congress committed $1.5 billion for viewers to spend on converter boxes that will translate digital signals for older televisions, but only $5 million of the total was earmarked for consumer education.

Bryan ought to ask for some of that money considering how much effort he has done pushing HD.

wait!!! you mean that Op with all his fancy schmancy cutting edge technology toys doesn't pony up for the NFL ticket??? slacker.

And yes Bryan has the Direct TV ticket - it is another cause he is an unpaid advocate of.
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="750"><tbody><tr><td><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="6" width="100%"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td>

</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

Ebenezer
11-11-2007, 11:50 PM
Many are even unaware that HD is going to be forced down viewers throats whether they want it or not.

<basefont>Kneuer has made numerous appearances in recent months before committees on Capitol Hill providing updates to members of Congress who have expressed concern that the public is still largely unaware that the transition is coming.
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20071110/D8SQM8480.html

Congress committed $1.5 billion for viewers to spend on converter boxes that will translate digital signals for older televisions, but only $5 million of the total was earmarked for consumer education.

Bryan ought to ask for some of that money considering how much effort he has done pushing HD.

And yes Bryan has the Direct TV ticket - it is another cause he is an unpaid advocate of.
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="750"><tbody><tr><td><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="6" width="100%"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td>

</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>
regardless whether he has it or not Glenn...it is awfully damn childish to complain about something as meaningless as not being able to see a play, or the camera angle or that it wasn't in HD. Good God, he needs to get a grip.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
11-11-2007, 11:52 PM
the camera view from the blimp I thought was awesome though!

Ebenezer
11-11-2007, 11:53 PM
the camera view from the blimp I thought was awesome though!
it was cool for a couple of plays but I could see how folks would get dizzy.

G. Host
11-12-2007, 12:01 AM
What "great" systems like Direct TV ought to do is provide alternate feeds so if you do not like the camera view flick a switch and it would change to another Direct TV provided camera at the game. Give another view of the game for those who spent their money for it.

In reality Direct TV is just another medium a select few are willing to pay for and its users have to deal with network restrictions like everyone else.

clumping platelets
11-12-2007, 12:15 AM
How aboot more close ups of the cheerleaders? :up:

Voltron
11-12-2007, 12:21 AM
What "great" systems like Direct TV ought to do is provide alternate feeds so if you do not like the camera view flick a switch and it would change to another Direct TV provided camera at the game. Give another view of the game for those who spent their money for it.

In reality Direct TV is just another medium a select few are willing to pay for and its users have to deal with network restrictions like everyone else.

For what they charge for the NFL Ticket they should do a hell of a lot more! :shakeno:

jamze132
11-12-2007, 12:33 AM
Being stuck overseas for the last 2 seasons, I have seen all or parts of 4 Bills games. So talk to me about how bad it is missing a couple of plays not in HD!!!

Ebenezer
11-12-2007, 12:39 AM
Being stuck overseas for the last 2 seasons, I have seen all or parts of 4 Bills games. So talk to me about how bad it is missing a couple of plays not in HD!!!
AMEN...and thank you for your service.

Michael82
11-12-2007, 12:45 AM
I don't even have HD, so I don't really give a ****. As long as I am able to watch the game, I'm happy. :up:

But I would be pissed if they cut off the game on me. :mad: I hate when they do that.

Voltron
11-12-2007, 12:46 AM
Being stuck overseas for the last 2 seasons, I have seen all or parts of 4 Bills games. So talk to me about how bad it is missing a couple of plays not in HD!!! :salute:

Thank you for your service!

alohabillsfan
11-12-2007, 05:38 AM
Not really worth a thread, I also flipped to 706, no biggie!

mybills
11-12-2007, 06:24 AM
"Having a team that is not 0-9" is a very good reason to be happy.
Poor Lt :pet:

lordofgun
11-12-2007, 06:49 AM
Listen to all the old dorks in here. I laugh every time I hear someone say they're waiting for their current set to die before they get an HD tv.

You're probably the same people who refused to buy a TV until your radio died decades ago. I bet you held out for years before buying a microwave too.

SquishDaFish
11-12-2007, 07:02 AM
Yes that was bull****. I tivoed the game because of work got home at 3 started to watch it and the end of the game is gone. Dammit!!

Dude
11-12-2007, 07:02 AM
Digital does not equal HD.

BAM
11-12-2007, 07:18 AM
OP, with all due respect...stop *****ing about HD...you sound like your 8 and got cheated out of a sucker after a haircut...it really gets annoying to hear that you didn't get the "luxury" of watching something in HD. Be happy you have a damn TV and a roof over it. For crying out loud, you really are a spoiled little kid.

Great post! I agree 100%.

LtFinFan66
11-12-2007, 07:21 AM
Listen to all the old dorks in here. I laugh every time I hear someone say they're waiting for their current set to die before they get an HD tv.

You're probably the same people who refused to buy a TV until your radio died decades ago. I bet you held out for years before buying a microwave too.I am just waiting for my taxes. Now that I got rid of my wife, got my bills straightened back out, and will get Christmas knocked out for the kids. Then it is more spoil me time

mysticsoto
11-12-2007, 08:00 AM

Normally, I'd agree that Op whines too much, however in this case...you pay for HD (by leasing the receiver/package, more expensive TV, etc) so I could see how it might be annoying to not be able to watch your favorite team on HD after you've shelled out so much for it...

NorthCarBills
11-12-2007, 08:12 AM

Strange, I was watching with Sunday Ticket and it did switch, at which point I went berzerk. Way too Heidi like, as another poster stated. Hopefully this doesnt happen again.

DynaPaul
11-12-2007, 08:22 AM
CBS' HD seems to look crappier than Fox and ESPN for some reason. At least it does on Time-Warner cable out here in the Albany area.

mush69
11-12-2007, 08:26 AM

You're probably the same people who refused to buy a TV until your radio died decades ago. I bet you held out for years before buying a microwave too.

I still have a 15" crt on my home computer. Staples has a 19" lcd on sale this week I might pick one up!

DraftBoy
11-12-2007, 08:28 AM
So on one hand we have posters complaining about something barely related to the game, and the other we have posters complaining about posters who complain about HD feeds, does anybody else see the irony here?

Here is an idea; WHO CARES? If Op wants to complain about HD, which he pays money to see then he has every right to do that. He has the luxury of having the cash to do that and there is not a person in this world that does not take advantage of the luxuries that a little extra money affords them.

If you other guys think Op is spoiled then go ahead, and your right in the grand scheme of life HD really doesnt matter. And yes there are people in this world who are much worse off, and I think we all know that.

Its the classic case of the haves and the have nots. One side has the new gizmo/gadget and wants it to of course work properly. The have nots could care less bc they dont even have the damn thing. Its not about one side being jealous or one side being spoiled at all. This whole argument is childish.

hydro
11-12-2007, 08:29 AM
CBS' HD seems to look crappier than Fox and ESPN for some reason. At least it does on Time-Warner cable out here in the Albany area.

Im guessing its because CBS is in 1080i while FOX and ESPN are 720p. From what i heard if you don't have your HDtv setup correctly HD can look worse then its supposed to.

OpIv37
11-12-2007, 08:42 AM
you completely missed his point...and that is terrible.

His point is irrelevant to the conversation. The conversation is about CBS's crappy game coverage. What is it with people around here? This board is supposed to be about the Bills but people are obsessing over my attitude.

OpIv37
11-12-2007, 08:47 AM

did you read my post? THEY CUT THE GAME WITH NO WARNING RIGHT BEFORE A CRUCIAL PLAY.

If I didn't already have the remote in my hand, I would have missed it. HD or not, what right do they have to cut plays? Hell, if they're going to do that, they could at least give a warning to switch to the SD station.

On top of that, everyone has a right to get what they paid for. So, your analogy sucks. It's like playing for a haircut but they only cut 3/4 of your head and then they stop.

gr8slayer
11-12-2007, 08:50 AM
Op I'm with you. I pay damn good freaking money for HD and I expect it every single week.

OpIv37
11-12-2007, 08:51 AM

as critical as you people are, you don't pay nearly as much attention to my posts as you act like you do.

I live in the DC area, remember? I wouldn't be watching the games at all if it wasn't for the Sunday Ticket.

I was watching on the HD Sunday Ticket station when they cut the game.

I don't get to watch the games for free like you, Eb. I have to pay for HD service, Sunday Ticket and Superfan to be able to watch the games, so if they cut it, I have a right to be pissed.

Yeah, there are more important things in life- so what? That doesn't give CBS an excuse to provide poor service.

Dr. Lecter
11-12-2007, 08:52 AM
This is entertaining.

OpIv37
11-12-2007, 08:53 AM

well according to Eb you have no right to be upset about watching it on a 7" screen because some people didn't get to watch it at all.

Dr. Lecter
11-12-2007, 08:55 AM
Now we need somebody to ***** about OP *****ing about people *****ing about his *****ing and life will be perfect.

BAM
11-12-2007, 09:09 AM
Now we need somebody to ***** about OP *****ing about people *****ing about his *****ing and life will be perfect.

The more the merrier right? :D

You guys are silly.

gr8slayer
11-12-2007, 09:11 AM
The more the merrier right? :D

You guys are silly.
Shouldn't you be working on a VIDEO??

BAM
11-12-2007, 09:16 AM
Shouldn't you be working on a VIDEO??
I actually have been working on one here and there when I get a few minutes.

But it's of my son. :D

A work in progress.

DraftBoy
11-12-2007, 09:19 AM

I thought I already did that?

gr8slayer
11-12-2007, 09:24 AM
I actually have been working on one here and there when I get a few minutes.

But it's of my son. :D

A work in progress.Your tactics anger me!

BTW, how's your son doing?

directFX
11-12-2007, 09:29 AM
as critical as you people are, you don't pay nearly as much attention to my posts as you act like you do.

I live in the DC area, remember? I wouldn't be watching the games at all if it wasn't for the Sunday Ticket.

I don't get to watch the games for free like you, Eb. I have to pay for HD service, Sunday Ticket and Superfan to be able to watch the games, so if they cut it, I have a right to be pissed.

Yeah, there are more important things in life- so what? That doesn't give CBS an excuse to provide poor service.

OP is right. I was watching the HD feed on Directv as well.....it went something like this...

"4th and 8 from the Bills 45 (or something) and the Dolphins line up.....WELCOME TO M&T STADIUM IN BALTIMORE MARYLAND"

It was a REALLY big deal when it happened. I too stumbled frantically for the remote to go to the regular Sunday Ticket Broadcast and thank god it is delayed.

And for what we are paying, it should NOT have been cut, especially at such a crucial time.

LtFinFan66
11-12-2007, 09:35 AM

Yeah, there are more important things in life- so what? That doesn't give CBS an excuse to provide poor service.I pay plenty of attention. I knew you have Sunday ticket. guess I should have added "it wasn't shown on a local channel here so it would not have been switched away"

justasportsfan
11-12-2007, 09:44 AM
I actually liked the skycam view of Parrish. Some neeeds to tell him that, that is his angle. He doesn't look so small that way . :snicker:

OpIv37
11-12-2007, 10:02 AM
I actually liked the skycam view of Parrish. Some neeeds to tell him that, that is his angle. He doesn't look so small that way . :snicker:

I did kind of like the skycam on the kicking plays. However, I was just praying that we wouldn't need a challenge/replay with the cameras down. People need to remember that the cameras going out do have the potential to affect what happens on the field.

BAM
11-12-2007, 10:03 AM
I was wondering what was up with those sky-cam views. I figured I was just smashed.

OpIv37
11-12-2007, 10:04 AM
I was wondering what was up with those sky-cam views. I figured I was just smashed.

nope- CBS actually lost their cameras for about 5 plays- all they had was the low angle view and the blimp cam.

gr8slayer
11-12-2007, 10:04 AM
I actually liked the sky cam view. I wouldn't mind seeing it more often.

billsburgh
11-12-2007, 11:50 AM
Op, have you called DTV to voice your complaints? If so, what was their response?

LtFinFan66
11-12-2007, 11:52 AM
This complaint would have nothing to do with Dtv, more the network that switched away

OpIv37
11-12-2007, 11:53 AM
Op, have you called DTV to voice your complaints? If so, what was their response?

I haven't contacted DirecTV or the network yet. My guess is that it's on the network but I'll let you know if I hear anything.

billsburgh
11-12-2007, 11:53 AM
This complaint would have nothing to do with Dtv, more the network that switched away
oops. yeah you're right.

dolphan117
11-12-2007, 12:00 PM
I have been *****ing about CBS's cameras for quite some time. They can cover golf in beautiful hi def, all their shows are in good hi def...... But they can spend the change to but HD cameras to cover and the games for the NUMBER 1 SPORT in this country in hi def? Complete and total BS.

Fox Sports > CBS Sports all day long.

Voltron
11-12-2007, 08:03 PM
I'm just Jealous myself. I had to go into Consumer Credit counseling and I can't afford to pay attention for the next 4 years. :sigh:

Oh well if I had not gone into this it would have taken like 27 years :eek:

OpIv37
11-12-2007, 08:19 PM
I'm just Jealous myself. I had to go into Consumer Credit counseling and I can't afford to pay attention for the next 4 years. :sigh:

It could be worse- my brother declared bankruptcy and he's about 2 1/2 years into the 7 year plan. His credit is so bad that he was paying more for a used Mazda 3 hatchback than I was paying for a brand new Accord EX.

Think about it this way: it sucks now but long-term you'll be much better off sucking it up now. Besides that, everything's going HD in 2009 so prices are starting to come down and they'll only come down more in the future. Technology always gets better and cheaper so you'll benefit by waiting in a lot of ways.

gr8slayer
11-12-2007, 08:20 PM

I feel for you man.

DynaPaul
11-13-2007, 11:08 AM
Im guessing its because CBS is in 1080i while FOX and ESPN are 720p. From what i heard if you don't have your HDtv setup correctly HD can look worse then its supposed to.

You make a good point. I normally keep everything set up as 720P but it does come in at 1080i on CBS. I'm thinking they use CBR (constant bit rate) instead of VBR (variable bit rate). Transmitting in CBR will cause choppiness when there's a lot going on in the picture which is when it looks the worst. If that's the case they should really change over to VBR. I know that's what Verizon uses on FiOS TV and their picture looks awesome.

Dude
11-13-2007, 12:23 PM
Besides that, everything's going HD in 2009 so prices are starting to come down and they'll only come down more in the future. Again, everything's going digital in 2009, not high def. All this means is that if you own an analog TV you won't be able to watch TV without a digital converter. You aren't required to have a high-def TV by Feb. 2009.

BAM
11-13-2007, 12:24 PM
Everything was supposed to be in HD by 2007.

How's that working out?

OpIv37
11-13-2007, 12:34 PM
Again, everything's going digital in 2009, not high def. All this means is that if you own an analog TV you won't be able to watch TV without a digital converter. You aren't required to have a high-def TV by Feb. 2009.

translation: Comcast and Time Warner lack bandwidth and compression technology so they lobbied the FCC to compromise on HD and give them an intermediary so they don't lose all their customers to DirecTV and Dish.

Dude
11-13-2007, 12:41 PM
translation: Comcast and Time Warner lack bandwidth and compression technology so they lobbied the FCC to compromise on HD and give them an intermediary so they don't lose all their customers to DirecTV and Dish.Probably.

Just don't rush out and buy an HDTV if you're not ready. If you have digital cable, the cable box is effectively your converter and you most likely don't need to change a thing.

BillsFever21
11-13-2007, 01:23 PM
Who doesn't have HDTV? :shakeno: Loosen up your fist and fork out the money for it. You have to buy a new TV sometime anyway. You can get the lesser models relatively cheap nowadays. I paid 2k for my Samsung last year and there are lesser models out now where you can get the same type of TV for half of that price. Just don't buy a Polaroid. The price is attractive but the TV sucks.

For those who won't fork out the money for HD, there is no need to rip on somebody who does have it and would like to see it. God forbid paying that money for a HDTV and then not being able to see HD.

For some of you guys without HDTV what if your SDTV lost service and you had to watch the game in a fuzzy black and white picture. Would you be pissed. It doesn't have to be about jealousy when it comes to HDTV. You don't have to be rich to have a HDTV.

BillsFever21
11-13-2007, 01:29 PM
You guys are right about the CBS coverage though. I'm not talking about the 5 lousy plays with the skycam, plus the game didn't cut out on the local feed. I'm talking about the picture of their HD games. It is horrible compared to the rest of them.

My locals doesn't carry CBS in HD. We have NBC, FOX and ABC but not CBS. They do transmit some games in HD but they don't look like the rest of the HD games. I don't know if it's because the station itself isn't in actual HD and only the game so you don't get the best HD picture or if it's just CBS itself. I know the games in FOX and NBC are perfect.

You can tell the difference between the SD and HD games on CBS but the picture just doesn't look as good as other HD games/service. I wish NBC would take over the AFC games and/or would switch to FOX

HAMMER
11-13-2007, 02:46 PM
Who doesn't have HDTV? :shakeno: Loosen up your fist and fork out the money for it. You have to buy a new TV sometime anyway. You can get the lesser models relatively cheap nowadays. I paid 2k for my Samsung last year and there are lesser models out now where you can get the same type of TV for half of that price. Just don't buy a Polaroid. The price is attractive but the TV sucks.

For those who won't fork out the money for HD, there is no need to rip on somebody who does have it and would like to see it. God forbid paying that money for a HDTV and then not being able to see HD.

For some of you guys without HDTV what if your SDTV lost service and you had to watch the game in a fuzzy black and white picture. Would you be pissed. It doesn't have to be about jealousy when it comes to HDTV. You don't have to be rich to have a HDTV.

I have a plasma and love it but many people have budgets that don't prioritize televisions or electronics. You can't call someone cheap because their priorities are different. 1K-2K for a TV is not chump change.

Voltron
11-13-2007, 03:14 PM

For some of you guys without HDTV what if your SDTV lost service and you had to watch the game in a fuzzy black and white picture. Would you be pissed. It doesn't have to be about jealousy when it comes to HDTV. You don't have to be rich to have a HDTV. I know you were just kind of joking but that was a bit ignorant and insensitive.

1. See my post above about my credit
2. Why would I spend the money on HD when there are about 10 to 15 channels thru my cable company that are in HD (I live in an Apt and don't face south so no Direct TV / Dish avail)
3. My Sony VEGA XBR 200 still looks amazing after 9 years
4. Why buy now when in 2 months they will be selling them clearance from Christmas
5. I know copper and gold is expensive but a 3 ft HDMI cable costs like $80 to $90! That is just asinine!
6. What Hammer said.

Heck I spent $3500 on my last home computer. I wouldn't call someone cheap because they didn't get all the bells and whistles I did. :idunno:

I think most of us were just picking on Op because he is a Negative Nancy :D

OpIv37
11-13-2007, 03:22 PM
I know you were just kind of joking but that was a bit ignorant and insensitive.

1. See my post above about my credit
2. Why would I spend the money on HD when there are about 10 to 15 channels thru my cable company that are in HD (I live in an Apt and don't face south so no Direct TV / Dish avail)
3. My Sony VEGA XBR 200 still looks amazing after 9 years
4. Why buy now when in 2 months they will be selling them clearance from Christmas
5. I know copper and gold is expensive but a 3 ft HDMI cable costs like $80 to $90! That is just asinine!
6. What Hammer said.

Heck I spent $3500 on my last home computer. I wouldn't call someone cheap because they didn't get all the bells and whistles I did. :idunno:

I think most of us were just picking on Op because he is a Negative Nancy :D

actually if you go to monoprice.com you can get decent cables much cheaper. Last week I got 2 6' HDMI cables, an optical digital audio cable, a 2x1 HDMI switch and an optical-coaxial audio converter for a grand total of $50. And gizmodo.com did a bunch of experiments with the cables and found no real difference between them and Monster cables.

or, to summarize- HDMI cables don't really cost $90 but Best Buy and Circuit City charge that much for them because people will pay it.

Still, saving $70 on cables is chump change compared to a $1000 TV- just something to keep in mind when you're ready. They also have component cables, computer cables and accessories, etc.

Voltron
11-13-2007, 03:32 PM
actually if you go to monoprice.com you can get decent cables much cheaper. Last week I got 2 6' HDMI cables, an optical digital audio cable, a 2x1 HDMI switch and an optical-coaxial audio converter for a grand total of $50. And gizmodo.com did a bunch of experiments with the cables and found no real difference between them and Monster cables.

or, to summarize- HDMI cables don't really cost $90 but Best Buy and Circuit City charge that much for them because people will pay it.

Still, saving $70 on cables is chump change compared to a $1000 TV- just something to keep in mind when you're ready. They also have component cables, computer cables and accessories, etc.
Thanks! It is definitely something you want to plan in advance so you don't end up at the Cash Register and realize you need to get these cables or you can't watch your brand new TV :shakeno:

BTW while looking up how to spell definitely I found this page (http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/) :D

OpIv37
11-13-2007, 03:36 PM
Thanks! It is definitely something you want to plan in advance so you don't end up at the Cash Register and realize you need to get these cables or you can't watch your brand new TV :shakeno:

BTW while looking up how to spell definitely I found this page (http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/) :D

deffenly a good find.

You do have to watch the peripherals. When I bought my TV, I had to buy all the cables, a new surge protector (get a good one with a warranty), a new TV stand, a new DirecTV box, more expensive service, etc. Fortunately, I didn't buy it until about 2-3 months after I started looking and I was prepared for all the related expenses. But to anyone thinking of buying an HDTV, I'd definitely suggest taking your time and looking into all this stuff so you don't get taken off guard by the additional expenses.

There's no point in buying a state-of-the-art TV and hooking it up with a damn yellow video cable to standard cable TV. It's like buying a turbocharged car and driving it in first gear all the time.

Voltron
11-14-2007, 08:32 AM
deffenly a good find.

You do have to watch the peripherals. When I bought my TV, I had to buy all the cables, a new surge protector (get a good one with a warranty), a new TV stand, a new DirecTV box, more expensive service, etc. Fortunately, I didn't buy it until about 2-3 months after I started looking and I was prepared for all the related expenses. But to anyone thinking of buying an HDTV, I'd definitely suggest taking your time and looking into all this stuff so you don't get taken off guard by the additional expenses.

There's no point in buying a state-of-the-art TV and hooking it up with a damn yellow video cable to standard cable TV. It's like buying a turbocharged car and driving it in first gear all the time.
I don't even use surge protectors anymore. With UPS prices so low for a 500 VA box it is worth the extra $$.