• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FinFaninBuffalo
    Registered Fish
    • Aug 2006

I don't understand Bills fans

IMO, the Bills are exceeding expectations this year. They are not without flaws, but they play smart football most weeks. When you read the threads on this site, you'd think they were the 0-9 team. Here is a view of the team from a rival fan:

QB - still a work in progress. Losman just can't get consistent. Edwards is probably the future of team. There is reason to be optimistic.

RB - Lynch is very good. I don't think we've seen how good he can be yet. Backups are an unknown. Thomas probably won't be on the team next year.

OL - Solid. Should probably upgrade at C and RG. Will get better with time together.

TE - Need a difference maker here.

WR - Not much after Evans. Could use 2 more WRs.

Overall the offense should improve with time. Inconsistent or inexperienced play at QB messes up the whole offense. They aren't confident enough to play with aggression yet.

DE - Very solid group. Should be set for several years.

DT - No one particular player stands out, but several of the DTs are solid in a rotation. Adding one legit wide body would help.

LB - A very young group. Not very consistent. Poz will be the leader when healthy. I think they would be better by adding another starter and moving Ellison and DiGiorgio to backups.

S - Whitner is solid. Too little experience at the FS position to be sure, but several players have gotten some experience.

CB - Solid group. Quite a bit of depth when everyone returns from injury.

The defense needs to add just a player or two (assuming the young guys continue to develop).

Special teams - Best punter in football. Solid kicker. Good coverage teams, Excellent return teams.

Coaching - Jauron seems to have the team ready to play each week. They play with discipline. They seem to be on an even keel each week. IMO, they have played over their heads this year. That is a sign of good coaching. The offensive coaching is a bit of a puzzler. I can't decide if the coaching is that bad or if the QB play is messing everything else up. Defensively they have had to deal with injuries and have played a lot of young players. They have done pretty well.

Overall - I think you are looking at an 8-8 caliber team that is a few players and some experience away from 10-6 and playoff contention. Why not enjoy the ride?
  • Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

Re: I don't understand Bills fans

We expect perfection.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• HHURRICANE
      • Mar 2005

Great analysis.

The biggest debates on this board are Jauron, Fairchild, Losman and Edwards.

Jauron IMO shouldn't even be an issue because the team is 5-4 which is ridiculous.

Fairchild isn't an innovator but the QB situation doesn't help. He still probably needs to be replaced.

Losman has had his shot, and again, and again, and yet agian.

Edwards is a rookie and I'm sure most Miami fans would take him in a heartbeat. Unfortunaley, on Billszone, he's being judged as a 4 year vet instead of a rookie with 3 games under his belt. The kid is definately our future.

Comment

• FinFaninBuffalo
        Registered Fish
        • Aug 2006

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
        Great analysis.

Jauron IMO shouldn't even be an issue because the team is 5-4 which is ridiculous.

Fairchild isn't an innovator but the QB situation doesn't help. He still probably needs to be replaced.

Edwards is a rookie and I'm sure most Miami fans would take him in a heartbeat. Unfortunaley, on Billszone, he's being judged as a 4 year vet instead of a rookie with 3 games under his belt. The kid is definately our future.
        I think Fairchild needs to stay until the QB situation get sorted out. Add a couple of WRs and get Edwards some experience, then see what Fairchild can do. Jauron has the personality to handle a team. He isn't the tactition that some HCs are but he also won't feel threatened by having top flight assistants either.

Comment

• BAM
          • Sep 2003

Please don't assume we're all like that. I, for one, am ecstatic with our success so far this season. We're one game over .500. Nobody thought that would happen after our terrible start.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by BAM
            Please don't assume we're all like that. I, for one, am ecstatic with our success so far this season. We're one game over .500. Nobody thought that would happen after our terrible start.

After the first 3 weeks, I told my father-in-law that I thought this team had the potential to be the worst Bills team in recent memory. Boy was I way off.

Yet, people continue to rip Jauron. Yes, the guy has his flaws and makes mistakes, but you are a fool if you can't see that this team is well-coached in EVERY aspect. They are disciplined, don't take stupid penalties, and are rarely in the media for bad behaviour. The team also seems to be pretty closely knit, which can be acredited to both the coaching staff and the GM. I really like where this team is headed, especially considering the injuries and heart-breaking losses they've had to overcome already this season.

Comment

• hydro
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
              After the first 3 weeks, I told my father-in-law that I thought this team had the potential to be the worst Bills team in recent memory. Boy was I way off.

Yet, people continue to rip Jauron. Yes, the guy has his flaws and makes mistakes, but you are a fool if you can't see that this team is well-coached in EVERY aspect. They are disciplined, don't take stupid penalties, and are rarely in the media for bad behaviour. The team also seems to be pretty closely knit, which can be acredited to both the coaching staff and the GM. I really like where this team is headed, especially considering the injuries and heart-breaking losses they've had to overcome already this season.
              BERNIAC!

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                • Jun 2005

Im estatic and excited over where this team is heading after the horrible start. We will be in playoffs next year maybe even sneak in this year.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                  Great analysis.

He's played five games.
                  Last edited by Michael82; 11-12-2007, 09:32 AM.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                    • Mar 2005

Great post. Totally agree.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                      • May 2003

I think you are generalizing to much, I think most Bills fans are enjoying the ride.

Comment

• Mike13
                        • Aug 2005

You're D is solid and you have two every good offensive weapons in Evans and Lynch.

Losman doesn't strike me as anything special, the jury is out on Edwards IMO.

You guys don't have all the pieces yet, but you're getting there.

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

the play calling is terrible and continues to be terrible.

Jauron's clock management has always been terrible. He gambles when he should be conservative and vice versa.

Hell, the coaching staff is DIRECTLY responsible for two losses and almost cost us yesterday's game as well as the Ravens game.

Yet, people continue to defend Jauron. I hope you enjoy it because what you see right now is as good as we'll ever be under Jauron and Fairchild. They're idiots.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by FinFaninBuffalo
                            IMO, the Bills are exceeding expectations this year. They are not without flaws, but they play smart football most weeks. When you read the threads on this site, you'd think they were the 0-9 team. Here is a view of the team from a rival fan:

QB - still a work in progress. Losman just can't get consistent. Edwards is probably the future of team. There is reason to be optimistic.

RB - Lynch is very good. I don't think we've seen how good he can be yet. Backups are an unknown. Thomas probably won't be on the team next year.

OL - Solid. Should probably upgrade at C and RG. Will get better with time together.

TE - Need a difference maker here.

WR - Not much after Evans. Could use 2 more WRs.

Overall the offense should improve with time. Inconsistent or inexperienced play at QB messes up the whole offense. They aren't confident enough to play with aggression yet.

DE - Very solid group. Should be set for several years.

DT - No one particular player stands out, but several of the DTs are solid in a rotation. Adding one legit wide body would help.

LB - A very young group. Not very consistent. Poz will be the leader when healthy. I think they would be better by adding another starter and moving Ellison and DiGiorgio to backups.

S - Whitner is solid. Too little experience at the FS position to be sure, but several players have gotten some experience.

CB - Solid group. Quite a bit of depth when everyone returns from injury.

The defense needs to add just a player or two (assuming the young guys continue to develop).

Special teams - Best punter in football. Solid kicker. Good coverage teams, Excellent return teams.

Coaching - Jauron seems to have the team ready to play each week. They play with discipline. They seem to be on an even keel each week. IMO, they have played over their heads this year. That is a sign of good coaching. The offensive coaching is a bit of a puzzler. I can't decide if the coaching is that bad or if the QB play is messing everything else up. Defensively they have had to deal with injuries and have played a lot of young players. They have done pretty well.

Overall - I think you are looking at an 8-8 caliber team that is a few players and some experience away from 10-6 and playoff contention. Why not enjoy the ride?

SOme bills fans love to keep rebuilding.
                            sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                              Zero for Zero!
                              • Mar 2003

Hell, the coaching staff is DIRECTLY responsible for two losses and almost cost us yesterday's game as well as the Ravens game.

Wrong. Wroong. Wrong.Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

Why you can't give them any credit at all is beyond me.

If I told you before the season that: after 9 games the Bills would have 12 gusy on IR, 3 opening day defensive starters out for the year, be down 3 TE's, be down Price, had a QB carousel and have various depth guys out but would be 5-4 and in the playoff hunt, what would you say? Without Jauron's leadership and gameplanning the Bilsl would not have been close in those games.
                              Originally posted by mysticsoto
                              Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

Working...
                              X