PDA

View Full Version : Jets and Miami already mathematically eliminated from Division race...

MikeInRoch
11-12-2007, 11:51 AM
This might be the earliest ever that two teams from a division are mathematically eliminated. After 9 games? Ouch.

LtFinFan66
11-12-2007, 11:55 AM
we were probably out two weeks ago

ajsdx
11-13-2007, 06:43 PM
Just represents the fluke intersection of 9-0 and 0-9. The fins haven't been as bad in magnitude as the pats have been good, but it's close.

BillsOverDolphins
11-13-2007, 08:54 PM
wow.....................simply wow

RockStar36
11-13-2007, 09:44 PM
we were probably out two weeks ago

I'd say since September.

Now it's just official.

OpIv37
11-13-2007, 09:45 PM
we'll be eliminated in two weeks too.

After we lose this week, the best we'll be able to do is 11-5 but the Pats will have the tiebreaker, so once they hit 11 wins it's over even if we somehow win out.

Mr. Pink
11-13-2007, 10:04 PM
Has any team ever clinched their division with 5 games left to play in the season? If anyone knows...this could be the start of the various records this Pats team is on pace to shatter.

OpIv37
11-13-2007, 10:37 PM
Has any team ever clinched their division with 5 games left to play in the season? If anyone knows...this could be the start of the various records this Pats team is on pace to shatter.

I think I'm gonna be sick.... this just makes me want to win this game that much more. Too bad it's not gonna happen.

Ickybaluky
11-13-2007, 10:55 PM
The earliest a team has ever clinched the division is week 11. The Bills killed any chance of the Pats doing that with their win streak.

The earliest the Pats could clinch is week 12. That would require a win this week against Buffalo, a win next week against Philly and a Buffalo loss next week against Jacksonville.

G. Host
11-13-2007, 10:56 PM
we'll be eliminated in two weeks too.

After we lose this week, the best we'll be able to do is 11-5 but the Pats will have the tiebreaker, so once they hit 11 wins it's over even if we somehow win out.

Sounds like an ex Bills coach who declared it over before it was over. And their is a difference from being eliminated from division title and eliminated from playoffs entirely.

Mr. Pink
11-13-2007, 11:03 PM
The earliest a team has ever clinched the division is week 11. The Bills killed any chance of the Pats doing that with their win streak.

The earliest the Pats could clinch is week 12. That would require a win this week against Buffalo, a win next week against Philly and a Buffalo loss next week against Jacksonville.

Was that before or after the byes were instituted?

Hence also why I phrased it with 5 games left to play factoring in pre-bye NFL and back when there was only 12 and 14 games respectively.

OpIv37
11-13-2007, 11:07 PM

If the Pats win this week, they Bills will have 5 losses and the Pats will have the tiebreaker. That means as soon as the Pats win their 11th game, the Bills are eliminated. The Pats wouldn't need the Bills to lose to clinch.

OpIv37
11-13-2007, 11:08 PM
Sounds like an ex Bills coach who declared it over before it was over. And their is a difference from being eliminated from division title and eliminated from playoffs entirely.

except I'm not a coach- I'm a disgruntled fan.

Ickybaluky
11-13-2007, 11:20 PM
Was that before or after the byes were instituted?

Hence also why I phrased it with 5 games left to play factoring in pre-bye NFL and back when there was only 12 and 14 games respectively.

I'm not sure who did it, as I'm repeating it second-hand, but it supposedly covers since they went to a 16-game format.

The earliest a team clinched a division since the NFL re-aligned to an 8-division format in 2002 was Philadelphia in Week 12 of 2004 (November 28, 2004).