PDA

View Full Version : Passing Game Adjustments

mchurchfie
11-12-2007, 12:24 PM
They reported that about halfway through the game Fairchild stopped calling long routes and started having all of the receivers do medium to short routes because of the defensive pass coverage. My two questions are, why did he take so long to make the adjustment and did he do it to get JP to stop locking on to everyone downfield (especially Evans) and force him to start throwing underneath. Is he that hardheaded that he won't listen to the coaches and start checking down? Why the hell don't they get the ball to Lynch on dumpoff passes?? Please don't tell me that they aren't open most of the day. Lynch is a legitimate homerunner everytime he touches the ball. I don't understand it. Those are the kinds of things that open up the long passes.

BidsJr
11-12-2007, 12:27 PM
J.P=One Trick Pony

The Answer
11-12-2007, 12:30 PM
They reported that about halfway through the game Fairchild stopped calling long routes and started having all of the receivers do medium to short routes because of the defensive pass coverage. My two questions are, why did he take so long to make the adjustment and did he do it to get JP to stop locking on to everyone downfield (especially Evans) and force him to start throwing underneath. Is he that hardheaded that he won't listen to the coaches and start checking down? Why the hell don't they get the ball to Lynch on dumpoff passes?? Please don't tell me that they aren't open most of the day. Lynch is a legitimate homerunner everytime he touches the ball. I don't understand it. Those are the kinds of things that open up the long passes.

First to answer the question about the playcalling - Fairchild is an idiot and hopefully will be gone at the end of the season. He makes clowns like Sheppard, Mularkey and Gilbride look like geniuses.

Second - This has been the big criticism of Losman, that he don't know how to checkdown and make the intermediary throws with consistency and accurancy. And unfortunately if he don't do it the next few weeks against some very good defenses in NE and JAX his career may come to a crashing end in Buffalo.

What could be final 3 part act of the Losman era starts this week against the Pats....

~The Asnwer

mchurchfie
11-12-2007, 12:44 PM
How about if the coaches tell JP that if doesn't start listening to them and checking down when appropriate your ass is benched. I know JP is trying to create some kind of longball legacy with him and Evans but it seems a little selfish to me. If I was his teammates I'd be pissed.

mybills
11-12-2007, 12:48 PM
:coocoo:

The Answer
11-12-2007, 12:52 PM
How about if the coaches tell JP that if doesn't start listening to them and checking down when appropriate your ass is benched. I know JP is trying to create some kind of longball legacy with him and Evans but it seems a little selfish to me. If I was his teammates I'd be pissed.

The only other option is Reed - whose MO is inconsistency as well. Also Big Mike Gaines was wide open and dropped a TD pass.

It's scary to think how good this offense might be if we had a competent coordinator and a legit #2 WR or playmaking TE.

~The Answer

mchurchfie
11-12-2007, 12:55 PM
It's idiotic that they don't make more of a concerted effort to get the ball in Lynch's hand in any way possible including dumpoff and swing passes.

The Answer
11-12-2007, 12:58 PM
It's idiotic that they don't make more of a concerted effort to get the ball in Lynch's hand in any way possible including dumpoff and swing passes.

Agreed - he was a monster in the passing game during his college career at CAL.

Yet another reason why Fairchild is clueless - plus he's been pulling Lynch on 3rd downs shades of Moolarkey and his obsession with Shaud Williams in on passing plays....

~The Answer

mchurchfie
11-12-2007, 01:01 PM
If they started hitting Lynch on quick dumpoffs on third down instead of blocking I guarantee the defense would quit sending blitzes as much after they got burned a few times. It would also keep them guessing about the run because when they have A-train in on 3rd down you know he is in for the blocking.

YardRat
11-12-2007, 02:52 PM
If he'd have tightened up the strings earlier he would've been called a dumb-ass for abandoning the long ball too quickly and taking JP's 'strength' out of his hands.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If Losman continues to be the QB and wants to keep the deep throws in the gameplan he might want to think about hitting one once in awhile. A 'legit' one, also, not a prayer thrown up with the hope that your WR makes a play on it.

mchurchfie
11-12-2007, 02:59 PM
If he works the short game more efficiently when the longball is being defensed then it will open up the long game eventually. It is a concept that JP and Fairchild seem to have trouble grasping. It is usually all or none with the short and long, never a mixture of the two.

justasportsfan
11-12-2007, 02:59 PM
If he works the short game more efficiently when the longball is being defensed then it will open up the long game eventually. It is a concept that JP and Fairchild seem to have trouble grasping. It is usually all or none with the short and long, never a mixture of the two.
the bengals game was a nice mixture. Problem is, if they defend the deep ball, we still can't run effectively.

mchurchfie
11-12-2007, 03:05 PM
the bengals game was a nice mixture. Problem is, if they defend the deep ball, we still can't run effectively.
Agreed.:up: A little playaction once in a great moon might help that.