• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr. Miyagi
    Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

That Colts fault start call on 4th down

Can someone explain to me how that fault start call was legit on the Colts' 4th down last night losing to San Diego?

The play was clearly designed to get the SD defense to jump offsides. The ball was never snapped and it was technically just a shift. Why was it a penalty? Why didn't upstairs call down and intervene? It could've been the play that cost them the game.

WTF???
  • MikeInRoch
    • Sep 2003

Re: That Colts fault start call on 4th down

That's not reviewable - but I agree that it shouldn't have been called.
    "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
      Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

That call was totally bogus. The refs had itchy whistles all night, including that blown dead play on the Session INT.

Comment

• mybills
        81 st zoner
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
        That call was totally bogus. The refs had itchy whistles all night, including that blown dead play on the Session INT.
        That was sweet! My son, nephew & I stood up yelling "It never hit the ground" and "Stupid whistle happy ref".
        I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• lordofgun
          in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
          • Jul 2002

It's actually called a FALSE start, miyagi.

asians

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• Ickybaluky
            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
            The play was clearly designed to get the SD defense to jump offsides.
            They didn't call a false start. The actual penalty called was simulating a snap. Anything you do to simulate the snap of the ball with the intention of drawing the other team offsides is illegal. There are several movements which fall into that category, such as:

- The C twitching the ball
            - The QB bobbing his head
            - A player in going in motion in a manner simulating the play has started

The referee thought the TE stood up quickly in an effort to make the defense think the ball was snapped, so he called the penalty. You might not agree, but that is a judgment call.

BTW, the defense can be called for this as well, if they call out offensive signals tryiing to make the OL think the QB has started the play. That is the most common application of the rule.

Comment

Working...
            X