• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Bills Defense: Overrated or Underrated?

Kelsay leads a young, hard-hitting unit (BuffaloBills.com) After an 0-3 start, the Buffalo Bills are, once again, starting to get noticed. The team has won 5 of its last 6 games to pull...

The Underrated Facts

- Middle of the pack run D (#20 at 118 yards per game)

- 12 interceptions, tied for 6th in the NFL

- #9 scoring defense in the NFL, giving up 18.4 points per game

- A bevvy of young, talented players, including to but not limited to: A. Schobel, J. McCargo, C. Kelsay, A. Crowell, T. McGee, D. Whitner

- Being the centerpiece of a win streak despite missing 4 one-time starters (P. Posluszny, K. Simpson, J. Webster, A. Youboty)

Let's face it - Buffalo's defense has done some pretty good things while facing some pretty long odds. As a result of their penchant for picking off passes, the Bills have been able to limit the score of their opponents - the biggest reason they've been able to win low-scoring affairs despite one of the league's worst offenses. There are some very good players on this defense, and the unit is young - they're only going to get better.
    The Overrated Facts

- #28 overall defense, giving up 360 yards per game

- An anemic pass rush that has produced only 9 sacks this season

- The lack of production from the unit's two highest paid players, A. Schobel (2.5 sacks) and C. Kelsay (2 sacks)

- A pass defense that, despite giving up few big plays, still gives up big yards (241 per game, #26 overall)

- The bulk of their success has come against teams with a combined 8-28 record and so-so offenses (NYJ 29, BAL 23, CIN 8, MIA 19)
    Despite the win streak and the successes they've had, the unit still leaves a lot to be desired. The Cover-2 defense is based on a stellar pass rush, but the Bills have to blitz several defenders to get heat on opposing quarterbacks, leaving their secondary hanging. There are overpaid players, and the young guys are still making a few too many mistakes.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • shelby
    The Vanilla *****
    • Jul 2002

Re: Bills Defense: Overrated or Underrated?

i understand the concerns brought up, but given the injuries to our defense, i don't see how anyone can rag on them. They've saved our ass, week in and week out. Under similar circumstances, odds are other teams wouldn't perform as well as our D has.

Comment

• patmoran2006
      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
      • Dec 2005

I think they are a "growing and maturing" defense.

I'll take these same 11 guys next year, plus POZ and KO Simpson--- with another year experience, and I'll roll with them again.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• gr8slayer
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by patmoran2006
        I think they are a "growing and maturing" defense.

I'll take these same 11 guys next year, plus POZ and KO Simpson--- with another year experience, and I'll roll with them again.
        I won't say that you haven't been watching the games but I'll question whether or not you've been watching Wilson, he's been great other than getting run over by McGahee one play. I'd actually take him over Simpson just based on what I've seen from both SO FAR.

Comment

• Elminster
          #1 Kelsay Fan
          • Oct 2006

The final score is all that matters.
          Good riddance Fairchild. Of course, the knowledge of your departure will only make TE more hateable than the typical Bills QB. Good luck, hope we don't mess you up like JP.

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by gr8slayer
            I won't say that you haven't been watching the games but I'll question whether or not you've been watching Wilson, he's been great other than getting run over by McGahee one play. I'd actually take him over Simpson just based on what I've seen from both SO FAR.
            You can say the same regarding Poz and DiG, couldn't you?
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• gr8slayer
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by YardRat
              You can say the same regarding Poz and DiG, couldn't you?
              No doubt about it. Good thing with that situation is that we can always just move Posluszny to OLB if DiGiorgio proves he's the real deal at MLB.

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                Sab and TD are insignificant
                • Sep 2002

I don't know about that, from what I've seen, it seemed to me that DiG misses almost as many plays as he makes.
                www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• G. Host
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2002

I do not care at all about yards by opponent. Yards (#28 overall defense, giving up 360 yards per game; 241 per game, #26 overall)are fantasy football stats if you prevent scores (#9 scoring defense in the NFL, giving up 18.4 points per game).

Comment

• JerseyBoofaloBills
                    • Aug 2006

nah way..POZ hasnt show much, but he's hurt and the games he did play, he looked good..idk about this DIG guy..he just seems like a scrub to me, but to come in and take over the MLB position is pretty good..

Comment

• jamze132
                      Don’t hate…
                      • Jun 2003

I still say we need to get some fat bastards to clog up the run lanes. Get rid of Tripplett. And if Schobel and Kelsay don't start earning there enormous contracts, we need to draft their replacements.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

Underrated
                        COMING SOON...
                        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X