• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Scrappy Bills are no match for Patriots

Some Buffalo Bills fans might feel insulted that the New England Patriots are whopping 15-point favorites for Sunday night's AFC East showdown at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

The Patriots beat the Bills 38-7 in Week 3, but that game was in Foxborough and Buffalo is a much better team now than it was then.

But here are a few sobering points to ponder before jumping on the Bills bandwagon:

They still rank 31st in offense (268.3 yards per game) and 28th on defense (359.7). The Patriots rank first in offense (428.7 yards per game) and fourth on defense (275.2).
    The Patriots are 9-0 and coming off a bye week. Coach Bill Belichick has had extra time to prepare for the Bills and isn't the kind to waste it. Belichick and his players love the big stage, and Sunday night has become the NFL's main attraction.
    The Bills have done a good job of holding opponents to field goals in the red zone. New England seldom settles for three points.

The way I see it, Buffalo has two ways to approach this game:

1 — Try to keep the score down by playing conservatively on offense; hope for a few breaks, lucky bounces and favorable zebra calls.

2 — Hope J.P. Losman plays the game of his NFL career in a shootout.

It is no bargain either way.

If I thought Patriots quarterback Tom Brady could throw five interceptions as Tony Romo did in a 25-24 victory at Buffalo in Week 5, I'd give the Bills a chance to upset New England.
    Imagine what a victory over the Patriots would do for Buffalo's playoff hopes and for the morale of western New York.

But beating New England is about as likely as Indianapolis quarterback Peyton Manning throwing six interceptions and Adam Vinatieri missing a potential game-winning chip-shot field goal in the same evening.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • jamze132
    • Jun 2003

Re: Scrappy Bills are no match for Patriots

I agree, especially about Peyton and Adam. Who would have thunk?

Comment

• dannyek71
      Drink Responsibly
      • Dec 2004

If Peyton can throw those picks and Adam miss that kick, then we can beat the Cheatriots.

Maybe it will rain and Billy wont have waterproof cameras?
      [

Comment

• Generalissimus Gibby
        Power & Authority Demand Responsibility to the common good, and must never be abused.
        • Jun 2006

funny but I wonder what this rag said about the Bills chances against Dallas.

Comment

• G. Host
          Banned
          • Jul 2002

Rating offenses and defenses is dumb!

What if the offense is able to make a 60 yard play everytime they get the ball but never score? what if the defenses allows an opposing team to walk down field all day but never lets it score?

Offenses and to lesser extent defenses should be scored on how many points they scored with defense primary rating being how many scores they prevent.

Comment

• BAM
            • Sep 2003

They can be beat.

I've seen more improbable upsets in my lifetime than this one.

Comment

• FlyingElvis
              • Aug 2004

Buffalo should get a little more respect now, especially after separating themselves from the Jets and Dolphins.

Anything can happen, but the Bills are probably not catching the Pats at a good time in their schedule.

Comment

Working...
              X