PDA

View Full Version : I am no longer in a "JP is the future" mindset

Pride
11-13-2007, 09:05 AM
I have loved JP since he's been here, and I've supported whomever was under center on Sunday.

After seeing JP play the last 3 weeks, I am convinced that Trent is the future of the Bills.

That said, I still want JP to start Sunday against the Pats. Here's why.

I like the idea of having a rookie QB sit on the bench his rookie year, while playing mop up duty when the team has a big lead. But I also realize that this is not how the NFL works anymore. You don't have the luxury and time to groom a QB for 2-3 years before he steps in to take over the franchise.

That said... I feel that we still have the ability to get close to that. This is not a game that I feel you should put a rookie QB into. Start JP, let him take the lumps, let him take the heat, let him play for respect and a contract (trade) from another NFL team next year. If he plays great... great! Keep starting him and let TE hold the clip board as long as possible.

Ben Rothlisbergers and Tom Brady's are rare in this league, and I'd rather allow TE time to mature as an NFL player, and a 2nd String (no pressure) QB before throwing him to the wolves.

More QB's have been damaged by forcing them to start too early than have succeeded, and I want TE to have every possible chance to succeed.

Opening day 2008, start Trent. But for now, ride JP as far as he'll take you... even if he's only limping.

SquishDaFish
11-13-2007, 09:07 AM
Cant we just merge all these who should start at QB threads. Jeez

hydro
11-13-2007, 09:14 AM
Cant we just merge all these who should start at QB threads. Jeez

Quit complaining! What else is there to talk about? Seriously...

SquishDaFish
11-13-2007, 09:27 AM
:nana: :chair::baby:

Kerr
11-13-2007, 09:46 AM
I have loved JP since he's been here, and I've supported whomever was under center on Sunday.

After seeing JP play the last 3 weeks, I am convinced that Trent is the future of the Bills.

That said, I still want JP to start Sunday against the Pats. Here's why.

I like the idea of having a rookie QB sit on the bench his rookie year, while playing mop up duty when the team has a big lead. But I also realize that this is not how the NFL works anymore. You don't have the luxury and time to groom a QB for 2-3 years before he steps in to take over the franchise.

That said... I feel that we still have the ability to get close to that. This is not a game that I feel you should put a rookie QB into. Start JP, let him take the lumps, let him take the heat, let him play for respect and a contract (trade) from another NFL team next year. If he plays great... great! Keep starting him and let TE hold the clip board as long as possible.

Ben Rothlisbergers and Tom Brady's are rare in this league, and I'd rather allow TE time to mature as an NFL player, and a 2nd String (no pressure) QB before throwing him to the wolves.

More QB's have been damaged by forcing them to start too early than have succeeded, and I want TE to have every possible chance to succeed.

Opening day 2008, start Trent. But for now, ride JP as far as he'll take you... even if he's only limping.

I agree, but like someone said, JP is like Jeckyll and Hyde. In the sense he gives you a better chance to win, but also a better chance to lose. His reckless style of play can kill an offense. However, his big play ability should provide the ability for comebacks when the team is behind. I too think Trent is the future, but I think he should only get into the game if JP is playing terrible in the 1st half. He could provide a spark to the offense during the game.

HAMMER
11-13-2007, 10:36 AM
JP looked flat awful for 3.5 quarters against Miami, awful. You can't have that kind of inconsistency at the QB position. If he has another poor showing Edwards will be the starter against Jax, guaranteed. Ralph, Marv, and Jauron believe Edwards is the future. If JP struggles again they will turn the team over to TE.

lordofgun
11-13-2007, 10:39 AM
We have a playoff shot! I start Trent NOW if I think he's our best bet for the playoffs.

DynaPaul
11-13-2007, 10:41 AM
I'm still waiting for JP to prove that he can perform against a top tier defense. So far he hasn't shown it. If you can't be great defenses you can't advance in the playoffs.

justasportsfan
11-13-2007, 10:44 AM
I'm still waiting for JP to prove that he can perform against a top tier defense. So far he hasn't shown it. If you can't be great defenses you can't advance in the playoffs.
Trent or JP, we're not beating top D's when you don't have OC who knows is head from his arse.