PDA

View Full Version : So Lynch is a good receiver..

Tatonka
11-13-2007, 11:56 PM
all i heard about during the draft and in college reports was how good lynch's hands are.. all i heard from training camp is how lynch was as good as a receiver.

in looking at the number.. it looks like selvin young has more pass reception.. and he is a back up running back.

vernand morency has more pass receptions.. he has been injured for 2/3rds of the year and is splitting carries with 3 other guys.

willis "stone hands" mcgahee has more catches.. are you kidding me.

i dont know that i have seen a true screen pass to Lynch all year.. they have thrown a couple dump offs to him.. but come on.. how is the screen pass to lynch not a STAPLE of this offense??

the guy does have good hands.. we should be using him like reggie bush split out wide.. the kid is the heart and soul of our offense after half a season as a rookie.. we need to line up wright in the backfield and get lynch active in the pass game.. be creative..

that being said.. since we havent used him like that at all this year.. the new england game is the perfect game to bust out with that.. throw in a new wrinkle to catch the pats off guard.

it is just frustrating as hell to see fairchild not utilize what he has... if i see one more god damn screen pass to our big, slow, uncoordinated tight ends, im gonna scream.

thoughts?

RedEyE
11-14-2007, 12:05 AM
I think he's been grossley misused as well. The Bills have faced a lot of 4-3 fronts this year and that's a good match up for Lynch catching passes out of the backfield.

I think that will change drastically this week as the Bills primary and secondary HBs are out against NE. They'll need to do something to offset the loss of extra blocking on run plays and Lynch blanketing the middle flats is just what the doctor ordered.

I've expected Lynch to be used much like Marshall Faulk especially considering who the Bills have at OC. I'm shocked this hasn't been the case. They have nothing to lose this weekend though.

Meathead
11-14-2007, 12:24 AM
not saying he cant do it but every summer we hear how this guy and that guy are catching balls in practice and are going to be such a threat out of the backfield then almost universally they end up getting two fitty just like everybody else

i guess im just saying ill believe it when i see it
my gawd im awesome :rockout:

Jaybird
11-14-2007, 12:25 AM
i dont think we have ran one screen play

YardRat
11-14-2007, 01:25 AM
They ran a screen to Lynch on the final scoring drive, with him split out wide, I believe.

Just IMO...the lack of screen plays is a result of the QB not checking off into that particular play after reading the defense at the line of scrimmage.

mchurchfie
11-14-2007, 01:28 AM
I think that will change drastically this week
You must know something I don't know Red. Did Fairchild finally get fired??

Slim
11-14-2007, 01:52 AM
I did see him out wide this week more than another other week.

Oaf
11-14-2007, 02:58 AM
Interesting that Fairchild said this was the major advantage over McGahee. What does Lynch have, like 15 catches? It's not like we have anyone else to throw to.

Fairchild has GOT to GO. :please:

madness
11-14-2007, 08:46 AM
They ran a screen to Lynch on the final scoring drive, with him split out wide, I believe.

Just IMO...the lack of screen plays is a result of the QB not checking off into that particular play after reading the defense at the line of scrimmage.

Yep. If it didn't take two guys to block the corner, one could have picked up the safety and Lynch would have been gone.

THATHURMANATOR
11-14-2007, 08:48 AM
all i heard about during the draft and in college reports was how good lynch's hands are.. all i heard from training camp is how lynch was as good as a receiver.

in looking at the number.. it looks like selvin young has more pass reception.. and he is a back up running back.

vernand morency has more pass receptions.. he has been injured for 2/3rds of the year and is splitting carries with 3 other guys.

willis "stone hands" mcgahee has more catches.. are you kidding me.

i dont know that i have seen a true screen pass to Lynch all year.. they have thrown a couple dump offs to him.. but come on.. how is the screen pass to lynch not a STAPLE of this offense??

the guy does have good hands.. we should be using him like reggie bush split out wide.. the kid is the heart and soul of our offense after half a season as a rookie.. we need to line up wright in the backfield and get lynch active in the pass game.. be creative..

that being said.. since we havent used him like that at all this year.. the new england game is the perfect game to bust out with that.. throw in a new wrinkle to catch the pats off guard.

it is just frustrating as hell to see fairchild not utilize what he has... if i see one more god damn screen pass to our big, slow, uncoordinated tight ends, im gonna scream.

thoughts?

What about the Screen in the 4th quarter to get the frist down?

Although I am with you in regards to getting more passes to Marshawn.

alohabillsfan
11-14-2007, 08:58 AM
He can't catch the ball if it is not thrown to him...

Tatonka
11-14-2007, 09:09 AM
What about the Screen in the 4th quarter to get the frist down?

Although I am with you in regards to getting more passes to Marshawn.

i know what your talking about.. but i am talking about standard screens that the greenbay packers ran to death in the superbowl years where the ball is hiked, the running back swings out, catches the ball and goes.. the play your referring to had lynch lined up outside as a wr.. which is great.. dont get me wrong.. and we saw that it worked, so they should do it more.. but i dont know that i have seen them run a standard screen all year.

madness
11-14-2007, 09:18 AM
i know what your talking about.. but i am talking about standard screens that the greenbay packers ran to death in the superbowl years where the ball is hiked, the running back swings out, catches the ball and goes.. the play your referring to had lynch lined up outside as a wr.. which is great.. dont get me wrong.. and we saw that it worked, so they should do it more.. but i dont know that i have seen them run a standard screen all year.

Lynch was actually lined up in the backfield that play and then motioned out.

Green Bay has the passing attack to run a successful rate of HB screens. Until our passing attack puts fear into opposing defenses, teams will continue to load the box and be keyed on Lynch.

It's kind of hard to run more screens when the focus is already on Lynch although I would like to see more in obvious passing situations and 2 min. drills.

raphael120
11-14-2007, 09:18 AM
Yeah you'd think that would make sense. If they're takin away the deep ball, then the flat should be wide open. You make a big enough threat underneath, the safeties, CBs will start pulling up, then you go for the deep ball.

I swear a majority of people on this board could make better calls than Fairchild, honestly...

Kerr
11-14-2007, 09:48 AM
Yeah it almost makes no sense that Fairchild would have no idea of how to use a rb more as a receiver having spent all that time as an assistant in St. Louis when Martz used Marshall Faulk as a receiver all that time.
I want to see Fairchild use Lynch as a receiver more often. Line him up as a receiver against NE and go empty backfield often so jp has more receving options.
It's probably something NE wouldn't expect since Fairchild hasn't done it yet.

Mahdi
11-14-2007, 11:08 AM
I think he's been grossley misused as well. The Bills have faced a lot of 4-3 fronts this year and that's a good match up for Lynch catching passes out of the backfield.

I think that will change drastically this week as the Bills primary and secondary HBs are out against NE. They'll need to do something to offset the loss of extra blocking on run plays and Lynch blanketing the middle flats is just what the doctor ordered.

I've expected Lynch to be used much like Marshall Faulk especially considering who the Bills have at OC. I'm shocked this hasn't been the case. They have nothing to lose this weekend though.
The Bills have faced 2 4-3 fronts all year. Cincinnati and Denver, the rest were all 3-4.

The reason Lynch doesnt get a lot of receptions despite his abilities is our lack of a consistent passing game and ability to stretch the field. For the 4 games Trent played defenses were swarming the LOS and that left no room for passes to RBs. Once we start moving the ball consistently through the air then we will be able to catch teams with screens.

justasportsfan
11-14-2007, 11:16 AM
from what I've seen at camp even Wright has better hands than Lynch. We have talent, we don't have the brains. Fairchild is in over his head.

Ultra Chimp 1
11-14-2007, 11:38 AM
I've watched every single Bills game. Not too many screen plays are even attempted, when they are they usually fail. I think I know why. It's our line.

It's the trade off for targeting giant and slow offensive lineman. Simply put, as a unit they are not fast enough to get to the spot where they have to get to before the other team does to set up blocks for the running back.

That's why the Bills usually fail or avoid to employ screen passes.

Obviously any team would love to screen pass their way to the endzone. Fairchild would in a heartbeat.

I'm afraid the reality is Fairchild can't even if he wanted to. Not yet anyway.