PDA

View Full Version : My interview with George Wilson

phishhead220
11-14-2007, 08:12 PM
Hey guys, I interviewed Bills safety George Wilson Tuesday by phone for my site. It's a long interview, but I think it's worth the read because George had a lot of great insight.

http://mvn.com/nfl-bills/2007/11/14/changing-sides-an-exclusive-interview-with-buffalo-bills-safety-george-wilson/

Changing sides: An Exclusive interview with Buffalo Bills safety George Wilson
By Dan Goldman | November 14th, 2007
E-mail | Print | Share
In today’s NFL, it’s extremely rare for a player to change positions. Usually, a rookie has the size and skill to go from the college level to the pros, or they don’t get drafted. There are the occasional cases where an athletic player is good enough to change from quarterback to wide receiver, defensive tackle to end or defensive end to linebacker.

However, it’s not so common for an NFL player to change sides of the ball after being in the league for a few years. George Wilson of the Buffalo Bills has done just that this season, transitioning from a wide out to safety.

I talked with Wilson over the phone Tuesday, about his path to being a safety, his thoughts on the 2007 Bills and living in Buffalo.

Wilson came out of Arkansas in 2004 as a three-year starter at wide receiver. He finished his career with the second-most receptions in Razorbacks history with 144.

“Oh man, Arkansas, those are the best years of my life,” Wilson reflects. “That’s where I became the man that I am. Playing under coach Houston (Nutt), just helping to continue the bowl game tradition.

“We went to play in the SEC championship, playing in three of the longest games in NCAA history. We Made a lot of memories there, it will definitely be apart of me for the rest of my life. It helped me become the ballplayer I am.”

He went undrafted in 2004 and Detroit signed him as a rookie free agent. The Lions cut him, but the Bills signed him in October.

Wilson made the 53-man roster in 2005 and appeared in three games, but never recorded a catch. The rest of his career was spent on the Bills’ practice squad, stuck behind the team’s other receivers, Lee Evans, Peerless Price, Josh Reed, Roscoe Parrish and Sam Aiken. Wilson always seemed to play well in the preseason, but never earned a shot in the regular season.

“It was definitely some frustrating times,” Wilson said. “Because you work hard, you put in the blood, sweat and tears, the time and the effort to make the team. Then when you come up short you kind of feel a little down.

“But you just have to continue to work hard, because you just never know when your opportunity is going to come in this league. You’re one play away. You have to be patient and be ready for your opportunity when your number is called.”

Making the change
The hard work paid off when the Bills approached him with a proposal to change over to safety.

“At off-season workouts in April, coach Jauron and John Guy, head of pro player personnel came by and talked to me about making the conversion,” Wilson said.

“I just looked at it as an opportunity to get out on the field. That’s what I want, to get out there and help the team the best that I could. The opportunity came at safety and I just attacked it like I’ve attacked every other goal in football and in my life.”

Like most players, Wilson only played one side of the ball in college, so it had been a while since he last played defense.

“The last time I played defense was when I was in high school, I played free safety,” Wilson said. “Never in my wildest dreams did I think that I’d be playing safety eight years later.”

Obviously, the 26-year-old wide out had a lot to learn in five months before the season started.

“I think my biggest thing was narrowing my vision,” Wilson said. “You know as a wide receiver you’re supposed to see the whole field. See the coverage, see the blitz before it happens. As a defensive back, you are reading keys, whether it’s the split, the linemen, their blocking or a particular formation, you are reading the key.

“So, you have to know your vision and focus on your keys, because looking in the backfield when you are supposed to be looking somewhere else, then that’s going to throw you off and you are going to be out of position, which will make a hole in the defense. On our defense we play together, you know we get ready to work together and nobody wants to be that guy that lets the other 10 guys down.”

Of course being a former wide receiver has its perks as well.

“Yeah, an offensive background definitely helps me out. How to attack a particular coverage, understanding the route combinations between two, three or four receivers.”

Not only has Wilson taken on this new position, but he has embraced it. Wilson saying, “I’ve never had this much fun playing the game, never in my life,” is a pretty ringing endorsement of that.

“I found a new level of passion for the game because I’m running out there everyday. I’m seeing a look for the first time everyday. I feel like I’m playing football for the first time all over again at this new position. It’s definitely been very refreshing and I’m eager to go to work each and every morning.”

How many football players can say that in today’s NFL?

Wilson’s chance comes
Wilson was thrust into duty after starting safety Ko Simpson went down in week one and backup Jim Leonhard was injured in week four. That set up Wilson’s debut as a safety, starting at home against Dallas on Monday Night Football.

He didn’t wait long to make an impact. On Dallas’ first possession, Wilson picked of a Tony Romo pass and returned it 25-yards for a touchdown. He said it’s easily the biggest moment of his career.

“It just jumpstarted me,” Wilson explained. “No need to come into my first start being tentative. It allowed me to be in the action from the first quarter on. I’ve been able to build on that week after week, I continue to try to improve.”

Did Wilson keep that ball?

“Oh absolutely, first career interception, first touchdown. Coming from playing wide receiver I never thought my first career reception for a touchdown would come playing defense. It’s definitely a wild ride.”

Since then, Wilson has started every game even though Jim Leonhard has returned from his injury. In those games, Buffalo has gone on a four-game winning streak. Wilson credits the team’s preparation.

“The coaches have done a great job of putting together effective games plans,” Wilson said. “It’s on us as players to go out and execute the game plans. We’ve done a great job of preparing for our opponents week in and week out and that’s a big help in turning around from our 1-3 start.”

Inside the locker room
I asked Wilson who the vocal leaders were in the locker room and he didn’t name the guys you would expect. He named everyone.

“We are all leaders in our locker room and that’s the unique thing about our team, each man leads in his own way,” Wilson said. “In our games, we don’t have to look to one particular guy to motivate us or make a play. We feel like we’re all leaders, we’re all playmakers, we’re all capable of making the play to give us that spark to clinch the game or swing the momentum.

“We’re a very close team and when you are close to someone off the field, it’s going to create chemistry when you are on the field. When you know a man’s story and you know a man’s struggle, a man’s background, it makes you closer as a team - similar to brothers.”

The concept of everyone leading is similar to the philosophy on who should be starting at quarterback. Because as for a quarterback controversy, Wilson adamantly stated that there is none.

“Whoever the coaching staff puts out there, we’re going to do our best and support him,” Wilson said. “We have confidence in both the guys, both of the guys have been in the game, come through for us, moved the ball and put points on the board.”

Wilson has been was in Buffalo for the Tom Donahoe/Mike Mularkey regime, as well as the current Marv Levy/Dick Jauron tandem. Jauron has a reputation of being a player’s coach and Wilson says it’s well deserved.

“Dick is a players coach,” Wilson said. “He loves his guys on and off the field. He definitely makes sure that we are getting our work done, we’re not going to cut any corners. We’re not going to waste any time when we’re out there on the field.

“Once we get off the field he is like your best friend. He’ll sit down at the table and ask you how you’re doing, how’s your family doing. He’s loves his guys, you can sense that around him.”

Jauron and his staff have done a great job of keeping the team focused despite the tragic injury suffered by Kevin Everett in week one. But, Wilson admits it wasn’t easy to get over the scary incident.

“It was definitely tough for us, when that happened to us in the very first game I think that really affected us emotionally for a while there,” he said. “We started out 0-3, but in this game there’s no time to have pity on yourself. You have to strive to overcome the adversity and go back to work every single day.

“We think about Kevin everyday, with the progress that he’s making it’s definitely been a miracle to be doing what he’s doing.”

Life in Buffalo
Coming to Western New York was a big change for Wilson, who grew up in Paducah, Kentucky and attended college at Arkansas. The biggest transition for him was the winter weather.

“In Buffalo, you may go weeks at a time without seeing sunshine. You may get three or four days a week with some form of precipitation. So, I’ve definitely been trying to get acclimated to the weather. But I love playing in Buffalo and I wouldn’t trade it for the world.

“I don’t think it’s (the weather) something you could necessarily get used to, but it’s a necessary evil for our home field advantage”

Of course, a big part of the Bills’ home field advantage is The Twelfth Man, the 71,000-plus fans who pack Ralph Wilson Stadium eight times a year. Wilson loves what the people of Buffalo bring to the game energywise.

“Man, we have some great fans,” Wilson said. “They come out with their bodies painted up and all kind of outfits and costumes. They’re on their feet from the first play to the last play, their tailgating hours before the game.

“They definitely showed what Buffalo was about for that Monday night game against the Dallas Cowboys. I expect the same thing this coming Sunday night when we play New England.”

Of course, the departed Willis McGahee wasn’t so fond of Buffalo, its nightlife and of course the women. Wilson says he and his teammates have no problem with the Buffalo.

“Well you know Buffalo has definitely been good to me,” Wilson said. “What we do in Buffalo is we spend a lot of time together. We go out to dinner at a few places, comedy shows or concerts every now and again. Some guys even go up to the hockey games.

“There are things to do in Buffalo, it’s definitely not a metropolitan city like Washington D.C. or anything like that, But it has history, it has tradition. It definitely has the support of the Western New York area. Even the Canadian population comes over and supports us. So I think we have a great fan base to support our stadium.”

The game this Sunday
Right now, the team’s focus is on Buffalo’s game against the undefeated New England Patriots on Sunday night. The big concern is if Marshawn Lynch will be able to play. Wilson didn’t know his injury status Tuesday, but has nothing but good things to say about the rookie.

“Marshawn, he’s a great kid. He has a lot of personality, a lot of ability. From day one, he’s done nothing but work hard and just try to get acclimated to the NFL as quickly as possible.

“He’s a great young man the future is bright for him. He runs the ball hard, he’s relentless and physical.”

We all know that the fans are going to be amped up for the game this Sunday, but do players get even more excited with the Primetime coverage?

“Oh absolutely, because the lights are on, the world is watching, you know you have to put a great show on for your team, your organization, for your family. Nobody wants to be on national TV and not perform up to par. It’s a good pressure that makes you want to prepare to the best of your abilities.”

Thanks again to George for taking time away from his busy schedule to chat with me. Also, thanks to the readers and folks over at The Buffalo Range who submitted questions.

Mitchy moo
11-14-2007, 08:15 PM
Could you post the whole thing, please.

BAM
11-14-2007, 08:21 PM
GW!

I haven't read it yet, but it's printing for my car pool ride to work tomorrow. :dj:

Oaf
11-14-2007, 08:30 PM
Wow, that was a great interview. How did you line that up?

And just to think this guy barely made the cut as a WR 3 years straight, somehow beat out pure safeties after a 4 month cram session as our 5th safety, and barely earned the start vs Dallas. (Whitner was going to play FS with Scott at SS)

What do you think compelled DJ and Guy to ask Wilson to switch?

ajsdx
11-14-2007, 08:33 PM
great read and great interview man.

John Doe
11-14-2007, 08:39 PM
That was a great read.

It confirms some of the impressions that I had about the QB situation: there really is no great split in the locker room about who is going to start - the team will support the guy that is chosen. The team is too busy preparing themselves to get side-tracked by controversy.

Dont drink the water
11-14-2007, 08:56 PM
Controversies are usually made up or exaggerated by the press - it is how they makes themselves feel important.

The last buffalo fan
11-14-2007, 09:55 PM
Controversies are usually made up or exaggerated by the press - it is how they makes themselves feel important.

Can you also add the fans to it, please?

JD
11-14-2007, 10:25 PM
Great read, he sounds like a great guy :up:

trapezeus
11-14-2007, 11:25 PM
nice article. the interview was very meaningful for a diehard fan. it wasn't a fluff interview. job well done.

phishhead220
11-14-2007, 11:42 PM
Wow, that was a great interview. How did you line that up?

And just to think this guy barely made the cut as a WR 3 years straight, somehow beat out pure safeties after a 4 month cram session as our 5th safety, and barely earned the start vs Dallas. (Whitner was going to play FS with Scott at SS)

What do you think compelled DJ and Guy to ask Wilson to switch?

I got in touch with the Agency that represents George and they were happy to hook me up with an interview.

I don't know what compelled them to ask him to switch. But I think it was that the coach's didn't like some element of his receiving game and that the team liked the current crop of receivers. They also probably thought he was smart enough to be a safety in the system and with those hands he can make good plays on the ball.

I kinda wish I pushed him more on that now...

phishhead220
11-14-2007, 11:45 PM
nice article. the interview was very meaningful for a diehard fan. it wasn't a fluff interview. job well done.

Thank you, I appreciate that. Wilson helped me by giving insightful answers, never just saying yeah i guess or no. He always was enthusiastic about every response...

like oh man our fans are great...oh man Arkansas was the best time of my life. He just seemed to be happy to share his story with me and it's a great one.

YardRat
11-15-2007, 01:15 AM
Very cool :beers:

Thanks for sharing.

shelby
11-15-2007, 04:34 AM
:up:

mybills
11-15-2007, 06:23 AM
Thanks for sharing this. You did a great job! :bf1:

Go Wilson!!! Pick off Tom, now! :jill:

Ingtar33
11-15-2007, 12:36 PM
fantastic interview.

I heard from a reporter friend who covers the NFL that g.Wilson gives great interviews... aparently he'll talk to anyone about anything, and for as long as necessary. he's apparently really friendly and accessible.

Recently, there was a story going around about how some woman with a young child in an airport thought he might be a football player, and approached him... he spent nearly half an hour with her and her son, encouraging him, on playing football and making the little boy feel special (and of course signing autographs)

Great guy, absolutely great guy the type of guy, who you'd want your kids to look up to from what i've heard.

phishhead220
11-15-2007, 01:28 PM
fantastic interview.

I heard from a reporter friend who covers the NFL that g.Wilson gives great interviews... aparently he'll talk to anyone about anything, and for as long as necessary. he's apparently really friendly and accessible.

Recently, there was a story going around about how some woman with a young child in an airport thought he might be a football player, and approached him... he spent nearly half an hour with her and her son, encouraging him, on playing football and making the little boy feel special (and of course signing autographs)

Great guy, absolutely great guy the type of guy, who you'd want your kids to look up to from what i've heard.

Wow thats quite a story about him, I definitely believe it. He defines the Marv Levy high character player

Gunzlingr
11-15-2007, 01:37 PM
Thank you, I appreciate that. Wilson helped me by giving insightful answers, never just saying yeah i guess or no. He always was enthusiastic about every response...

like oh man our fans are great...oh man Arkansas was the best time of my life. He just seemed to be happy to share his story with me and it's a great one.

Great job!

When I interviewed Don Beebe, that is the way he was too. He was pleasant, and seemed very happy to share with me.

justasportsfan
11-15-2007, 02:27 PM
NIce! If only some peoples articles were like that, I wouldn't care if they 10 pages long.

Oaf
11-15-2007, 06:33 PM
But I think it was that the coach's didn't like some element of his receiving game

That's likely spot on. Can't think of any other reason he didn't get more reps after very solid preseason.

It WAS nice to see an interview with some real substance, not the Chris Brown, "So what do you like to do on your days off," and "What's one thing you like about playing in Buffalo."

BAM
11-15-2007, 07:48 PM
That was one spectacular interview I must say! That's easily the best one I've read in MANY years with ANYONE. George seems like an awesome guy and I wish him only the best in his future with the team. He's done well so far.

phishhead220
11-16-2007, 11:57 AM
That was one spectacular interview I must say! That's easily the best one I've read in MANY years with ANYONE. George seems like an awesome guy and I wish him only the best in his future with the team. He's done well so far.

Thanks BAM!