PDA

View Full Version : Win over Pats would be Bills' greatest upset

YardRat
11-15-2007, 05:37 AM
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071115/SPORTS03/711150358/1007/SPORTS

So if the Bills were to pull off the upset and end New England's quest for a perfect season, where would it rank all-time on the list of shocking Buffalo victories?

Probably No. 1, leapfrogging every game on this list of the top five Bills upsets in the history of the franchise:

Nov. 18, 1984 — America's Team, led by Tom Landry, sauntered into Rich Stadium with a 7-4 record to play one of the worst Bills teams ever assembled, a group that was 0-11 going into the game. But rookie Greg Bell raced 85 yards for a touchdown on the first play from scrimmage. He finished with 206 yards rushing, and the Bills shocked the nation with a 14-3 victory. "It was somewhat embarrassing, but it's always embarrassing when you lose," Landry said. "It was not one of our better hours.''

Added Dallas running back Tony Dorsett: "I'm totally embarrassed. I just can't believe it. It's embarrassment at its best, and I can't believe there's one player in this locker room who doesn't feel the same way. They're 0-11 and they beat the Dallas Cowboys.''

Sept. 29, 1968 — It was early in the season, so it wasn't really known at the time just how big an upset this was, but the Bills entered 0-3 at War Memorial Stadium and edged the Jets 37-35. The Buffalo defense — which had given up 98 points in the first three games — picked off five Joe Namath passes and returned three for touchdowns. This would end up being Buffalo's only victory of a 1-12-1 season, while the Jets went on to win the AFL Championship and Super Bowl III.

"I'm going to touch you for a few drinks, Ralph," coach Harvey Johnson said to owner Ralph Wilson after the game. "Maybe there won't be many more opportunities, so I'm going to get you now.''

Dec. 17, 1972 — The Bills closed out a 4-9-1 season by going into RFK Stadium and beating a Washington team that finished 11-3 and won the NFC East. The Redskins had nothing to play for because they had already clinched their division, but this was the first time since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger when the Bills defeated an established NFL team on the road.
The Bills scored two touchdowns in the fourth quarter to pull out the 24-17 victory, the last by Jim Braxton with 46 seconds remaining. O.J. Simpson rushed for 101 yards and clinched his first NFL rushing title. "Losing a game like that is like a death in the family," said Redskins coach George Allen, who regrouped his team and led it to Super Bowl VII, where the Redskins lost to the perfect Miami Dolphins. "There's only one thing to do after a game like that, and that's hide.''

Nov. 28, 1971 — Arguably the worst team in Bills history won its only game of the season, 27-20, over the Patriots at the Rockpile. Quarterback Dennis Shaw completed only nine passes, but two of them went for touchdowns to J.D. Hill, Buffalo's 1971 first-round draft pick, who was making his NFL debut in front of a crowd at 27,166, the smallest since 1963. This win snapped a 15-game losing streak, the longest in the team's history.

"I'll take a bow on two counts," said Johnson, back for his second stint as coach. "I said we'd win and I said J.D. would have a big game.''

Sept. 7, 2003 — Coming off an 8-8 season in Drew Bledsoe's first year as quarterback, the Bills were excited about their chances in 2003. However, beating the 2001 Super Bowl champion Patriots 31-0 was more than anyone could have expected.

The Buffalo defense held the Patriots to 239 yards and Sam Adams returned one of Tom Brady's career-high four interceptions 37 yards for a touchdown.

mybills
11-15-2007, 06:30 AM
I still say I was blessed to have seen that last game mentioned, having been my first time out to the Ralph in all the years I've been a Bills fan. That is a sweet memory that I will carry with me forever! :up: