PDA

View Full Version : This is the exact OPPOSITE of what I want this offense to do!

historypete
11-18-2007, 10:58 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/bucky_brooks/11/15/Week11/4.html#patriots_bills

Bills' Game Plan
• Use the tight ends. With starting running back Marshawn Lynch likely out of the lineup, Buffalo will go to a power-based offense featuring multiple tight end sets. With Michael Gaines and Robert Royal on the field, the Bills will use more play-action and movement passes (bootlegs) to exploit the Patriots' aggressiveness against the run.

No wonder Bucky Brooks didn't make it as a WR in the league. This is exactly what Fairchild is going to do, just like he has the past 8 weeks and it will end up with us getting killed. I said this earlier in the week. They need to get away from all the TE formations. Spread the field, use Wright and Jackson both in the backfield. Bunch the recievers. Move Lee around from the outside to the slot. The ONLY way we win is to score points, and to do that we have to be aggressive while getting favorable matchups for the few offensive weapons we have. Our TE's are not offensive weapons, unless I've missed something.

historypete
11-18-2007, 11:00 AM
Sorry, I really screwed up the quote. Check out the link instead.

acehole
11-18-2007, 11:09 AM
Sorry, I really screwed up the quote. Check out the link instead.

Well their LB's are slow so I guess the idea is to run them off into coverage alot to tire them out then have them try and stop the run later. Gains can out run most of the slow aged LB's. We have to move away from thier stregth (CB and DT).

historypete
11-18-2007, 11:11 AM
Gaines may be able to out run the LBs, but he can't catch a ball past 5 yards. He's dropped a couple on JP and Trent. We are doomed offensively if Fairchild continues to play his "what will the defense give us" offense.

YardRat
11-18-2007, 11:18 AM
NE is going to do what it can to take Evans out of the game. The running game is going to be tough to establish w/o Lynch.

I like the idea of rolling JP out and getting the TE's involved. It's only going to be successful if he tries to find them, though, without holding on to the ball and looking for Lee deep all the time.

Philagape
11-18-2007, 11:22 AM
This offense isn't capable of taking more than what it's given. The issue isn't what they give us, but what we give them ... namely, the ball. Don't give them the ball. Play smart, execute well. If there's shot available, take it, but don't be stupid about it.

historypete
11-18-2007, 11:25 AM
If we play conservatively. If we come in and try to establish the run. Then we are going to get absolutely destroyed. This team can try to play keep away all they want, but it won't work. Our Defense has improved greatly, but they aren't going to give up less than 24 points. In order for us to win we have to at least try and do something different. I'm not calling for bombs away. I'm calling for us to atleast try to get favorable matchups on the offensive side of the ball.

ParanoidAndroid
11-18-2007, 11:26 AM
Gaines needs to work on those hands, but he runs good routes and is athletic and quick in the open field for a TE. He was a pretty good find, coming in as a virtual nobody and looking like he could eventually be a full time starter.

I'm in the opinion that our QB doesn't involve the TE enough. JP, especially, locks on to Evans way too much and those check downs are there. Our TE's looked pretty good when Trent was in there. Want to run a wide open 4 receiver set, JP is your guy. Want to run a ball control, power set, Trent is your guy. If it is so obvious to us what the strengths of our QB's are, why is it so difficult for these coaches to put them in those respective positions?

YardRat
11-18-2007, 11:30 AM
If we play conservatively. If we come in and try to establish the run. Then we are going to get absolutely destroyed. This team can try to play keep away all they want, but it won't work. Our Defense has improved greatly, but they aren't going to give up less than 24 points. In order for us to win we have to at least try and do something different. I'm not calling for bombs away. I'm calling for us to atleast try to get favorable matchups on the offensive side of the ball.

Isn't that what Brooks' comment was about? Doing something a little bit different to try to get favorable match-ups?

Philagape
11-18-2007, 11:35 AM

Smart doesn't mean conservative. It means smart. They should feel free to throw 20-30 yard passes, as long as there aren't two defenders between the ball and the receiver.

historypete
11-18-2007, 11:51 AM
What I'm saying is that our TE do not provide any type of mismatch or advantage to us in the offensive game. I think Gaines was a good find, but if they guy can't catch the ball downfield all that route running and decent speed gets us no where.

Phil, what does play smart mean? If that means not turning the ball over, okay I'm with you. But how are they going to go about doing that? If they are going to try and pound these guys I don't think that works. Neither do I think running fly patterns all night is going to work. By implementing our TE's the way Brooks is talking about I don't think works. The Pats are aggressive, but they are disciplined at the same time. This is a team that doesn't bit on playaction too much. Rolling out JP and hitting the TE is only going to work a couple of times if that. The reason that is so is because the outside LB contains the play well in this defense. He doesn't follow the RB down the line, but maintains his position. This will allow him to hit JP at will. We have to attack by running mutiple crossing routes, slant patterns, clearing out routes. Stuff like that. I think by spreading the field and bunching recievers we give ourselves a better shot at attacking this defense and running the ball, than if we were to condense the field by using multiple TE formations.

historypete
11-18-2007, 11:54 AM
Isn't that what Brooks' comment was about? Doing something a little bit different to try to get favorable match-ups?

I think that is somewhat what he is saying. But I'm of the belief that our TEs do not give us any mismatches against them. Basically by using those formations it is no different than any other Fairchild gameplan.<!-- / message -->

G. Host
11-18-2007, 12:34 PM
Gaines may be able to out run the LBs, but he can't catch a ball past 5 yards. He's dropped a couple on JP and Trent. We are doomed offensively if Fairchild continues to play his "what will the defense give us" offense.
Every WR drops balls even Evans

Did you watch the games?
Jets game 11 yard reception
Cincinatti game 3 for 22 with longest 11 yard reception
Miami game 2 for 28 with longest 19 yard reception

In fact Gaines has caught as many balls this year (15) as he was caught any year before.

acehole
11-18-2007, 04:50 PM
That is a great idea (4 wide) it take the DT away and thins out the Lb's.
With a no huddle we could in theory wear down those aging white guys.

If we can wear that deffense down the 4th quarter is ours!

Gaines needs to work on those hands, but he runs good routes and is athletic and quick in the open field for a TE. He was a pretty good find, coming in as a virtual nobody and looking like he could eventually be a full time starter.

I'm in the opinion that our QB doesn't involve the TE enough. JP, especially, locks on to Evans way too much and those check downs are there. Our TE's looked pretty good when Trent was in there. Want to run a wide open 4 receiver set, JP is your guy. Want to run a ball control, power set, Trent is your guy. If it is so obvious to us what the strengths of our QB's are, why is it so difficult for these coaches to put them in those respective positions?

historypete
11-18-2007, 05:11 PM
Every WR drops balls even Evans

Did you watch the games?
Jets game 11 yard reception
Cincinatti game 3 for 22 with longest 11 yard reception
Miami game 2 for 28 with longest 19 yard reception

In fact Gaines has caught as many balls this year (15) as he was caught any year before.

These numbers prove my point that Gaines, and our other TE's are not offensive threats. One catch for 11 yards against the Jets, he also dropped a couple of others. Three catches for 22 yards, an average of 7 yards a catch. Come on folks. Can people honestly say that our TEs are going to make a difference in the passing game????? I'd rather see Wright and Jackson matchuped up on one of the Pats LBs or Safties than Royal, Gaines or Neufeld. We already know what we have, this has been tried for 9 games now. It is that much to ask that we try something different, rather then have our TE's act as dump off options because they can't stretch the field. I just don't see them actually making an impact. I hope I'm dead wrong, and will admit if I am, but looking at past history I can't see where I am going wrong here. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

historypete
11-18-2007, 11:22 PM
I hate to say it, but...

look at the wonderful production of our TE's. One catch for 13 yards. Great job keeping two of them in the game Fairchild. The only drive where we scored was when he actually spread them out and was able to get a couple of favorable matchups on the outside.

The offensive packages he puts together are so predictable and boring, and it doesn't matter who the QB is because he creates this crap for both of them to run.

The Jokeman
11-18-2007, 11:35 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/bucky_brooks/11/15/Week11/4.html#patriots_bills

No wonder Bucky Brooks didn't make it as a WR in the league. This is exactly what Fairchild is going to do, just like he has the past 8 weeks and it will end up with us getting killed. I said this earlier in the week. They need to get away from all the TE formations. Spread the field, use Wright and Jackson both in the backfield. Bunch the recievers. Move Lee around from the outside to the slot. The ONLY way we win is to score points, and to do that we have to be aggressive while getting favorable matchups for the few offensive weapons we have. Our TE's are not offensive weapons, unless I've missed something.
I love how you discredit Brooks for not making it as WR in the NFL but fail to understand that he did make it as CB in the league and was also a Scout for Seahawks and Panthers respectively.

historypete
11-18-2007, 11:40 PM
I love how you discredit Brooks for not making it as WR in the NFL but fail to understand that he did make it as CB in the league and was also a Scout for Seahawks and Panthers respectively.

I know he played CB for the Packers for a while but it wasn't that long. My comment was in jest though, but I do think his scouting preview for the game was completely wrong. Had he paid attention to most of Buffalo's games he would have known those types of formations are used the majority of the time. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->