Why not get a veteran goal scoring sniper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • starfirestar
    • Nov 2002

Why not get a veteran goal scoring sniper?

Everybody keeps saying that we should get a veteran goaltender in here to play for Marty and Mika while they grow. I agree with it, but at what cost? Richter would be to costly, Legace isn't a starter. What about all the talk about taking the pressure off of Tim Connolly? Don't you people think if we just spent a little bit more and got a veteran goal scoring sniper for Timmy Connolly would take some of the pressure off the kid? Timmy C could learn from a good veteran scorer. Not some Anderchyuk type guy, but a real good top notch free agent scorer. Let's see Tom Golisano and Regier step up. Look at the players in Detroit. They are blossoming fabousley, and they aren't even first round picks. Two are Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterburg. They've got Brett Hull around them and Stevie Y coaching them on the ice.
  • Dozerdog
    In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Who says we should get a veteran Goalie? You say everybody- Name 3 ......

we have 3 goalies already.......

Marty needs to grow? He's been playing for years now.

Comment

• qcsabresfan84
      • Feb 2003

Yeah, Marty has been the starter for two years now. If we added another goaltender we would hurt the progress of all three because one would be a back up in the NHL, and the other two would have to split time in the AHL, and no one would get the experience they need.
      But I agree that Golisano and Regier really should look for a scoring forward in free agency. Even though we probably have about a one in a million chance, Sergei Federov is set to be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year if the Wings don't give him an extension.
      N.C. STATE WOLFPACK

Comment

• SkateZilla
        • Dec 2002

lol
        Wings Will Extend Him..
        You Can bet your Life on it. As well with Hull.

Heatley And Shmelik are rumored to be released... . i doubt heatley will but . hey.. nhl is screwed up right now.

lagace is better than noronen
        Visit ESPN for live scores, highlights and sports news. Stream exclusive games on ESPN+ and play fantasy sports.
        Skate Zilla
        -----------------------
        Skate Zilla HD Studios:
        SKATE ZILLA HD STUDIOS

Comment

• keepdasabesinbuffalo
          anyone seen my 50 mission cap?
          • Dec 2002

couldn't agree more

personally I've said more times than I can count that what this team needs is a vetran that can wear the "C" and lead the team. We've got alot of talent right now but no seasoned Captain material....
          I play real hockey...on the ICE, with a white helmet!

Comment

• starfirestar
            • Nov 2002

I don't care if he can where the C or not. If we had a decent GM, he would be afraid to make a blockbuster deal. Just find an unhappy player and make a trade to Buffalo. The team is playing better so there is a lot of value in these guys. Zhitnik is at the top of his game right now and Buffalo could aquire something really great for him. Feds will probably resign with Detroit, unless he absolutely does not want to be there for some odd reason. He might need a change of scenery to rejuvinate his career.

Comment

• Rude American
              EE is my American Idol
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by SkateZilla
              lol
              Wings Will Extend Him..
              You Can bet your Life on it. As well with Hull.

Heatley And Shmelik are rumored to be released... . i doubt heatley will but . hey.. nhl is screwed up right now.

lagace is better than noronen
              http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/player...e?statsId=1241
              Legacy is better than any goalie in the Sabres organization. But if I was a Sabres fan, goaltending wouldn't be a concern to me. They have a lot of potential in net.
              You want that hamburger on bun?

Comment

• Ebenezer
                Give me a minute...
                • Jul 2002

until there is a salary cap the Sabres will not have anybody but Satan who can score (unless they come cheap). Goal scoring=dollars...take a look at the drafts since 1996...any goal scorers there? If they had somebody to put the puck in the net they would have gotten rid of their salary.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Jul 2002

If they could get their hands on a solid #1 center to play with Satan and Kotalik, it would solve a lot of problems.

You'd then have Briere - Dumont - Hecht which seem to have clicked, and Mair - Pyatt - Max? and Brown - Boulton - Boterill?

If you could wake up McKee and Warrenner, they could make a run for the playoffs with what they have.

Biron and Mika are good enough. If I'm getting a FA, it's either a #1 Center or a defenseman who scares people.

Owen Nolan and Marchment.

Comment

• starfirestar
                    • Nov 2002

We won't ever get Owen Nolan. Too old, and too expensive. If I had to cash in a free agent it would be Sergie Federov. But, the Rangers will nab him just like they do everybody else. I would try to make a trade for someone. Get a number 1 center in here who is a dangerous scorer and can coach are younger players. Federov would be the perfect coach for Tim Connolly. You don't have to keep Federov forever. Two, three years at the most. I would give up Satan if we could get Feds in here. Tom Golisano has money, so let's see them turn this around. And your not going to sell that many more tickets with Satan and Legace around.

Comment

• Sabre Ally
                      • Jul 2002

Fedorov would never come here. Why don't we talk about someone that we could realistically get? IS there anyone that fits that profile that is even worth having?

Comment

• Ebenezer
                        Give me a minute...
                        • Jul 2002

Not at a price this team can afford.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• BironsGirl43
                          Can suck a golf-ball through a garden-hose.
                          • Oct 2002

OMG.. did anybody watch Hockey Hotline last night? Did anyone hear what that caller Bill was saying to Roby? OMG.. that was nuts.. lol.. I couldn't help but agree with some of the things he said though.. it didn't matter who was in net last night.. we wouldn't have won.. we scored 0 goals.. and allowed 2 (3rd was an empty netter..) but all he could do was blame it on Biron.. I thought it was silly.. anyway.. the guy was mad and jumped all over Roby for it.. yikes.. it was intense and then he hung up.. anybody see it? What did you think?

It all started with the "get a veteran goalie" comment.. and the guy said that it was 'goalscoring" that was the problem.. starfirestar.. was that you? lol....
                          ~*Let's go Buffalo*~

Comment

• WereRat
                            • Feb 2003

It appeared to me that even if there was a "verteran goalie" in that game that the final would have been 2-0 anyways. There was only one goal that Biron should have had the save on. The other would have been scored against pretty much any goalie you put in the net and the empty netter is, well, an empty netter... Just my take on it.
                            Hockey is not a matter of life and death, it's much more important than that.

Comment

• SkateZilla
                              • Dec 2002

we need one.. but wether we can afford one is another question.

We have 3 or 4 20+ Goal Scorers

Satan
                              Briere
                              Kotalik (well if he didnt get the flu he'd have 20+)
                              and maybe a few others.

Look at vancouver.
                              they have like 3 40+ Goal Scorers to make up for their average goal tending.
                              Skate Zilla
                              -----------------------
                              Skate Zilla HD Studios:
                              SKATE ZILLA HD STUDIOS

Comment

Working...
                              X