PDA

View Full Version : The Best team in the in History of NFL

Bufftp
11-19-2007, 09:24 AM
So far this season many are calling this New England squad the "Best team" in the history of the NFL. How do they stack up, in your opinion? IS THEIR A team in the History of NFL that you would consider to be better than them? If they lose 1 game do they lose the title best team ever in the NFL.

Ebenezer
11-19-2007, 06:14 PM
I can only judge them to this point...

I'd have to think hard about the best team I have seen in my lifetime. Much to others chagrin the '72 Dolphins were not the best team ever. They had the third easiest schedule in modern football and little to no passing game.

Offensively NE may be the best team ever. The 1989 and 1993 SF 49ers were offensive juggernauts and may retain the title as best ever because they had insane rushing games. NE just doesn't need to rush the ball as often as one would think.

Defensively? They are nowhere near the Steelers of the 70s or the Ravens of 2000. The Bills just never had a chance to play on an even field yesterday. Put that defense with an unexplosive offense and they would struggle.

All that being said, we must also remember that the league is very watered down these days. Mediocrity is the theme and there are teams with winning records that, even 10 years ago, would have been bottom dwellers. The 2007 Bills at 5-5 would have been 2-8 in 1991.

To be considered one of the best ever this team has to win out. There was a 15-1 team a few years ago that didn't even make the SB. You never hear about them. If the '90 Bills had won it all they might even make the list.

The best teams in my lifetime:
1985 Bears
1978 Steelers
1977 Cowboys

IF NE wins it all I would have to put them up there as the best.

DynaPaul
11-19-2007, 06:26 PM
1991 Bills

Mr. Pink
11-19-2007, 06:31 PM
1985 Bears have to be the best team I've seen. Totally dominating in every facet of the game. People remember their defense, but they could score points.

If this Pats team doesn't win the big one, they'll become a trivia answer, much like the 98 Vikings were.

If they do win the big one, I don't think you could put any team above them.

Ebenezer
11-19-2007, 06:32 PM
1991 Bills
to be the best you have to win the SB...they did not.

Mr. Pink
11-19-2007, 06:37 PM
From what I've read and seen video on etc...the 1950 Browns would probably be the top team in NFL history.

Dominated the NFL in their first year of existence, lambasted the reigning champ Eagles to open the season. Then the Eagles said the Browns won only because of their passing game, which was revolutionary at the time. So the Browns went out in their second meeting with the Eagles and didn't even attempt a pass, and won again.

Eventually beating the Rams in the championship game and at the time the Rams were a very prolific offense.

And when they, the Niners and the Colts started into the NFL...they were laughed at. In most recent terms, this would be like the NFL absorbing a few teams from the USFL and the New Jersey Generals went out and won the Superbowl in their first NFL season.

I don't remember any XFL teams to use that comparison :rofl:

Jeff1220
11-19-2007, 06:54 PM
The Pats are playing against a watered down league. Parity has done exactly the opposite of its design - most teams are equally bad, so a few get to be exceptional (in this case 1 gets to be). The competition in the NFL isn't what it was years ago, so the domination the Pats are portraying isn't as impressive as a team like the '85 Bears or even a couple of the 9ers teams of their Dynasty years.

feelthepain
11-19-2007, 07:06 PM
Miami had to play their back-up QB (Earl Morrall) most of their 72 season cause Griese broke his leg. The Dolphins also had to play a playoff game on the road even though they hadn't lost a game and Miami had no bye week before the playoffs. Lets see the Pats do that, also Miami's QB's threw for a grand total of just over 1300 yards that undefeated season while having (2) 1000 yard backs and (1) with over 500 yards rushing. Want to talk "TEAM"?? The Pats don't even come close to the 72' Dolphins!! Miami was also the only team in NFL history to end the season with the #1 Offense and #1 Defense!!!

......Oh and the Dolphins weren't accused of cheating, found to be guilty, and penalized for it in their undefaeted season, or ever for that matter!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Pink
11-19-2007, 07:25 PM
Miami had to play their back-up QB (Earl Morrall) most of their 72 season cause Griese broke his leg. The Dolphins also had to play a playoff game on the road even though they hadn't lost a game and Miami had no bye week before the playoffs. Lets see the Pats do that, also Miami's QB's threw for a grand total of just over 1300 yards that undefeated season while having (2) 1000 yard backs and (1) with over 500 yards rushing. Want to talk "TEAM"?? The Pats don't even come close to the 72' Dolphins!! Miami was also the only team in NFL history to end the season with the #1 Offense and #1 Defense!!!

......Oh and the Dolphins weren't accused of cheating, found to be guilty, and penalized for it in their undefaeted season, or ever for that matter!!!!!!!!!!!

Miami's QBs threw for over 2000 yards actually...Morrall threw for 1500 by himself. And are you talking scoring offense and scoing defense? Because a team being number 1 in each category has been done before outside of the 72 dolphins.

And Miami isn't even the first professional football team to go undefeated...the 1948 Browns went undefeated in the AAFC compiling a 15-0 record.

feelthepain
11-19-2007, 07:39 PM
Miami's QBs threw for over 2000 yards actually...Morrall threw for 1500 by himself. And are you talking scoring offense and scoing defense? Because a team being number 1 in each category has been done before outside of the 72 dolphins.

And Miami isn't even the first professional football team to go undefeated...the 1948 Browns went undefeated in the AAFC compiling a 15-0 record.

Miami's Offense and Defense were both number one overall. As for the 48 browns, how many teams were in the AAFC? Even though the Passing yards reached 2000, that's a drop in the bucket in todays NFL, which was my point. Miami lined up and ran the football and dared you to stop them and Morrall was ready to retire at that point in his career. Still, you mention nothing of the cheating...do you honestly think BB has given up on cheating??? I don't!!!

Johnny Bugmenot
11-19-2007, 07:46 PM

I do believe, also, that the longest undefeated streak in football is a 25-game undefeated streak (22-0-3) by the Canton Bulldogs between 1921-23 (oddly enough, this coincided immediately with Jim Thorpe's departure from the team).

So for the Patriots to beat that they'd have to go a perfect 19-0 this season AND go 6-0 for the first 6 games of the 2008 regular season as well (ties would continue the undefeated streak as well).

Mr. Pink
11-19-2007, 07:57 PM
Miami's Offense and Defense were both number one overall. As for the 48 browns, how many teams were in the AAFC? Even though the Passing yards reached 2000, that's a drop in the bucket in todays NFL, which was my point. Miami lined up and ran the football and dared you to stop them and Morrall was ready to retire at that point in his career. Still, you mention nothing of the cheating...do you honestly think BB has given up on cheating??? I don't!!!

They prolly still steal signs, yes. A lot of teams in professional sports do that...Derek Jeter has been accused numerous times of stealing signs when he's on second, for example. It happens, whenever you can try to get the competitive advantage teams try to get it.

Scoring wise... the 55 Browns, 62 Packers, 67 Rams and 69 Vikings all had the number 1 scoring offense and number 1 scoring defense. Yardage wise, my favorite source for teams before 72, they don't rank teams by yards, just points. And it appears no team since the Dolphins have gone 1st on both.

The AAFC had only 8 teams in 1948, so the Browns had to beat each team twice and then for a third time that year the Buffalo Bills in the championship game. And no, that's not this buffalo bills incarnation.

And I will admit having 2 1000 yard backs is mighty impressive and leads a lot of credence to your coach believing and trusting your running game.

Mr. Pink
11-19-2007, 08:02 PM
I do believe, also, that the longest undefeated streak in football is a 25-game undefeated streak (22-0-3) by the Canton Bulldogs between 1921-23 (oddly enough, this coincided immediately with Jim Thorpe's departure from the team).

So for the Patriots to beat that they'd have to go a perfect 19-0 this season AND go 6-0 for the first 6 games of the 2008 regular season as well (ties would continue the undefeated streak as well).

The Browns team from 47-49 went 30 games without losing 27-0-3 including playoffs. And 47-4-3 in their AAFC history, winning all 4 AAFC titles.

Ickybaluky
11-19-2007, 08:15 PM
And I will admit having 2 1000 yard backs is mighty impressive and leads a lot of credence to your coach believing and trusting your running game.

It has been done other times. The Steelers did it with Rocky Blier and Franco Harris, in 1976.

The Browns did it with Kevin Mack and Ernest Byner in 1985.

I notice FTP didn't mention strength-of-schedule in his argument.

Mr. Pink
11-19-2007, 08:22 PM
It has been done other times. The Steelers did it with Rocky Blier and Franco Harris, in 1976.

He realistically can't, outisde of the playoffs the Dolphins beat 2 teams above .500. But you don't apologize for beating teams you should...ever.

I remember the 85 Browns team, Kosar's rookie year. Ironically enough they blew a 21-3 2nd half lead against the....Dolphins...to lose the divisional playoff round game.

feelthepain
11-19-2007, 08:28 PM

Why should I mention strength os schedule? You have played two teams above 500. all year! And everyone else you've played is horrible! Lets not forget the Pats will always, ALWAYS be remembered for cheating so hard, that they lost a draft pick and were fined 1.25 million dollars.

feelthepain
11-19-2007, 08:39 PM
They prolly still steal signs, yes. A lot of teams in professional sports do that...Derek Jeter has been accused numerous times of stealing signs when he's on second, for example. It happens, whenever you can try to get the competitive advantage teams try to get it.

Scoring wise... the 55 Browns, 62 Packers, 67 Rams and 69 Vikings all had the number 1 scoring offense and number 1 scoring defense. Yardage wise, my favorite source for teams before 72, they don't rank teams by yards, just points. And it appears no team since the Dolphins have gone 1st on both.

The AAFC had only 8 teams in 1948, so the Browns had to beat each team twice and then for a third time that year the Buffalo Bills in the championship game. And no, that's not this buffalo bills incarnation.

Maybe they do and maybe they don't. What we do know is no one could call the Pats cheaters till this year. Now calling them cheaters has teeth, it's viable and it's a FACT!!! You can't say that about any other NFL team. The old saying is true, innocent until PROVEN guilty! The Pat fans cant hide behind this dirty little fact, whatever happens this year, the Pats will always have an * attached to this season and I for one, couldn't be happier!

DynaPaul
11-19-2007, 08:41 PM
I'm sick of the Patriots. Let's not even discuss whether they're the best team ever. Put it in the NFL Zone.

HHURRICANE
11-19-2007, 08:54 PM
To this point they are the best.

I would say that the '85 Bears, '92 Redskins, and '72 Dolphins are all up there as well.

im4bflo
11-19-2007, 08:58 PM
Easy... MY BUFFALO BILLS! (duh!)

YardRat
11-19-2007, 10:16 PM
New England's offense is the best I've ever seen play, but they've got a way to go before standing beside the Bears, the Steelers, the Browns, and the Packers of the 60's. Miami of course deserves to be mentioned in that group based on their undefeated season.

mybills
11-20-2007, 06:29 AM
So far this season many are calling this New England squad the "Best team" in the history of the NFL.
:rofl:

Ickybaluky
11-20-2007, 07:12 AM
New England's offense is the best I've ever seen play, but they've got a way to go before standing beside the Bears, the Steelers, the Browns, and the Packers of the 60's. Miami of course deserves to be mentioned in that group based on their undefeated season.

I agree with this. The Pats are 10-0. It is a early for this kind of talk.

I do think their offense is historically good. What else can you say with the numbers they are putting up. No stat says it better than them scoring a TD on half their drives. Think about that --- they score a TD every other time they get the ball.

Those '72 'phins were far from the best team ever, though. They aren't even in the top 5. They played a historically soft schedule, that's all.

im4bflo
11-20-2007, 06:15 PM
But the way they've done it *

LtFinFan66
11-20-2007, 06:18 PM
If not the best, they are definitely right there for sure

imbondz
11-20-2007, 07:22 PM
The Pats are playing against a watered down league. Parity has done exactly the opposite of its design - most teams are equally bad, so a few get to be exceptional (in this case 1 gets to be). The competition in the NFL isn't what it was years ago, so the domination the Pats are portraying isn't as impressive as a team like the '85 Bears or even a couple of the 9ers teams of their Dynasty years.

EXACTLY. I've been saying this all season. This years Pats are benefitting from a mediocre NFL. They're a very good team, but far from the best ever. If anything, this year may be the worst year talent wise ever in the NFL.

imbondz
11-20-2007, 07:23 PM
I agree with this. The Pats are 10-0. It is a early for this kind of talk.

I do think their offense is historically good. What else can you say with the numbers they are putting up. No stat says it better than them scoring a TD on half their drives. Think about that --- they score a TD every other time they get the ball.

Those '72 'phins were far from the best team ever, though. They aren't even in the top 5. They played a historically soft schedule, that's all.

Statwise, they'll win most every offensive category, but if you look at the league as a whole, they're a division I school playing division II teams.

imbondz
11-20-2007, 07:26 PM

the 2000 RAMS were much more electric on offense than this years Pats, and crushed teams much better than the teams the Pats are crushing

YardRat
11-20-2007, 07:34 PM
the 2000 RAMS were much more electric on offense than this years Pats, and crushed teams much better than the teams the Pats are crushing

They may have been more 'electric', but IMO they weren't as consistent or efficient. I just don't remember the Rams being as dominant as this NE team, although they did put up a lot of points.

Mike13
11-20-2007, 08:26 PM
Its hard to compare because the game has changed alot through the years.

Night Train
11-21-2007, 08:40 PM
It would have to be the '85 Bears or one of the Steelers teams from the late 70's.

Those Steeler teams. My God. You could have sent every starter from the O and D to the Pro Bowl and few could argue. They were that deep.

It's a different era today. More teams with heavy turnover, due to Free Agency. The Pats have a special player in Brady, with a top Coach. I give them their due but the NFL looks very mediocre as a whole these days. You have one dominant team and 30 teams that could get beat from week to week.

I'm fully aware of the records but the FA era shows most teams have glaring holes that can be exposed if properly attacked.

im4bflo
11-21-2007, 09:03 PM
Are you people done stroking the patriots?
You're making me sick :puke:
:gobills: