PDA

View Full Version : Madden's quote: "Where's Schobel". Good question?

HHURRICANE
11-19-2007, 10:52 AM
Dwight Freeney he is not.

He least Schobel is getting called out on the message board at BuffaloBills.com

LtBillsFan66
11-19-2007, 10:55 AM
I don't want to toot my own horn, but I've been calling him overrated for years. His stats are padded with garbage time sacks. He has one move, and if and when he beats the OL, all the QB has to do is take one step up in the pocket.

PECKERWOOD
11-19-2007, 10:55 AM
Schobel got some pretty decent pressure, imo. The problem is that New England probably has the best OL that I've ever seen in my 20 odd years alive and it helps that Tom Brady can read even the most complex defenses like a children's book. New England does this to EVERYBODY not just us, Schobel, Hargrove, Kelsay and Denney will all be fine.

Philagape
11-19-2007, 11:00 AM
How much has Schobel done all year besides run five yards behind and way outside the QB, creating a very large pocket?

HHURRICANE
11-19-2007, 11:08 AM
How much has Schobel done all year besides run five yards behind and way outside the QB, creating a very large pocket?

Seriously the guy blows. 2.5 sacks for the year.

Wait, wait, I hear the excuses coming already.

TacklingDummy
11-19-2007, 11:18 AM

Schobel blows. I would have traded him last off-season to the Redskins for the 6th pick in the draft.

Schobel is the JP of our defense. He's good during garbage time.

chernobylwraiths
11-19-2007, 11:19 AM
He's an above average DE. He isn't great and he is overpaid, but in a couple years, his salary will probably closer to what he deserves. He is a good player though. Sacks ain't everything.

acehole
11-19-2007, 11:22 AM

Thank you! He is not worth the $$ and was a nn factor.

Thatt is why I put the post up last night...I miss bruce.....

HHURRICANE
11-19-2007, 11:25 AM
He's an above average DE. He isn't great and he is overpaid, but in a couple years, his salary will probably closer to what he deserves. He is a good player though. Sacks ain't everything.

True, without his pressure Brady might have scored on every drive.

chernobylwraiths
11-19-2007, 11:26 AM
True, without his pressure Brady might have scored on every drive.

You're right, there are tons of better DEs out there.

Akhippo
11-19-2007, 11:27 AM
We should start with our DE's 5 yards past the QB. That is where they end up anyway. Why do we run PAST the QB on every play. Can Schobel throw in a spin move? Thats what makes Freeney so good, he can take the speed past you and if you over compensate, hell spin to the inside right into the QB.
All Brady had to do was step up in the pocket and he was home free. Our D Line is all sound and fury signifying nothing.

LtBillsFan66
11-19-2007, 11:30 AM
Spin move, stunt, start outside then go inside. Never seen any of that.

HHURRICANE
11-19-2007, 11:31 AM
Spin move, stunt, start outside then go inside. Never seen any of that.

They were "creeping" in.:bad:

patmoran2006
11-19-2007, 11:40 AM
Im not sure he's fully overated

but I can tell you he sure as heck isn't $50 million better than Hargrove. I think Hargrove is as good as Schobel or Kelsay.

To me, except for 1-2 games this year, it looks like Schobel's just happy to get a paycheck. And man, for a All Pro DE he takes a ton of plays off in this rotation. $74 million for a pair of DE's that rotate in and out of the lineup every other series or whatever. brilliance from the FO

Jaybird
11-19-2007, 11:44 AM
freeney lovers!!!!!

he didnt have such hot year last year. schobel aint the best in the league, but hes above average

The Answer
11-19-2007, 11:50 AM
Schobel blows. I would have traded him last off-season to the Redskins for the 6th pick in the draft.

Schobel is the JP of our defense. He's good during garbage time.

Sad thing is this year he's not even getting sacks against the crappy teams - this guy needs to go in the offseason.

~The Answer

Michael82
11-19-2007, 12:51 PM
Whoever told him to lose all that weight is a ****ing moron. He's having problems getting around the OTs and doesn't have much upper body strength. :ill: Why the **** would you mess around with something that works?!?!? :mad: :curse:

HHURRICANE
11-19-2007, 12:55 PM
Whoever told him to lose all that weight is a ****ing moron. He's having problems getting around the OTs and doesn't have much upper body strength. :ill: Why the **** would you mess around with something that works?!?!? :mad: :curse:

Remember back in April when you and I though his weight was a mistake.

Tell you what else bothers me about him. He's not paying attention out there. He's staring at the sideline as the balls being snapped and he's actually starting off late to the QB. Rewatch the games, it's ridiculous.

OpIv37
11-19-2007, 12:57 PM
I don't want to toot my own horn, but I've been calling him overrated for years. His stats are padded with garbage time sacks. He has one move, and if and when he beats the OL, all the QB has to do is take one step up in the pocket.

what does on-the-field performance have to do with it? Our FO gave him a big contract, therefore, he MUST be good. I'd expect someone who's been around as long as you to understand that by now.

mchurchfie
11-19-2007, 12:57 PM
If we can get some players to get a good push up the middle all of the sudden our DEs are going to start looking a heck of a lot better.

justasportsfan
11-19-2007, 01:56 PM
If we can get some players to get a good push up the middle all of the sudden our DEs are going to start looking a heck of a lot better.
this is where I think our problem has been. Getting to the qb up the middle.

Schobel is no different from Fletcher. Solid but not dominant.

HHURRICANE
11-19-2007, 01:59 PM

There are plenty of DEs that can get sacks playing on crappy teams. Schobel doesn't look like he's in it.

Mr. Pink
11-19-2007, 01:59 PM

I agree with this.

Our DEs overpursue on the outside, QBs step up and render them useless.

QBs can step up because, we have no pressure up the middle, ever.

So it's a 50/50 blame scenario, blame the DEs for running themselves out of the plays and not adjusting. Blame the DTs for being flat out garbage.

justasportsfan
11-19-2007, 02:04 PM
I agree with this.

Our DEs overpursue on the outside, QBs step up and render them useless.

QBs can step up because, we have no pressure up the middle, ever.

So it's a 50/50 blame scenario, blame the DEs for running themselves out of the plays and not adjusting. Blame the DTs for being flat out garbage.
Exactly. Our DE's aren't made to pressure the qb's but make them stay in the pocket and pursue in case they get out. This is why we drafted McCargo and brought in Tripplett and supposedly replaced Fletcher with penetrating LB'ers . It's to wreak havoc in the backfield from the middle where it disrupts the qb the most. Problem is, our DT's are inconsistent.

OUr DE's are also made to drop back against the pass becuause they can with their speed.

Mr. Pink
11-19-2007, 02:10 PM
Exactly. Our DE's aren't made to pressure the qb's but make them stay in the pocket and pursue in case they get out. This is why we drafted McCargo and brought in Tripplett and supposedly replaced Fletcher with penetrating LB'ers . It's to wreak havoc in the backfield from the middle where it disrupts the qb the most. Problem is, our DT's are inconsistent.

OUr DE's are also made to drop back against the pass becuause they can with their speed.

I honestly haven't noticed the latter part of that much...if so that means some plays we have 9 guys out in coverage/space and teams still complete passes.

I really think we need a strong pass rusher at DE or a guy who's more complete. More complete meaning he's good against the run as well. But finances dictate we really can't do that for at least 3 more years. And that's frustrating as hell.

justasportsfan
11-19-2007, 02:11 PM
I honestly haven't noticed the latter part of that much...if so that means some plays we have 9 guys out in coverage/space and teams still complete passes.

I really think we need a strong pass rusher at DE or a guy who's more complete. More complete meaning he's good against the run as well. But finances dictate we really can't do that for at least 3 more years. And that's frustrating as hell.
I'm fine with our DE's if we can get a dominant DT that can collapse the pocket ona consistent basis.

PECKERWOOD
11-19-2007, 02:20 PM

This is hands down the wisest post in this thread and probably of all day. We got ZERO pressure up the middle, none of our DT's can collapse the pocket at all.

mchurchfie
11-19-2007, 02:27 PM
Brady is like the book was on Bledsoe or any other QB for all that matters, if you get guys up the middle in his face he isn't as dangerous. He managed to step up in the pocket all night last night and made some of his biggest plays when doing so.

PECKERWOOD
11-19-2007, 02:43 PM
Brady is like the book was on Bledsoe or any other QB for all that matters, if you get guys up the middle in his face he isn't as dangerous. He managed to step up in the pocket all night last night and made some of his biggest plays when doing so.

No kidding, he had a brickwall protecting him up the middle. That's why we need to add some DL and a stud LB to start next to Crowell and Poz.

justasportsfan
11-19-2007, 02:47 PM

Brady struggles against the fins , looks like a probowler agianst us and yet we've owned the fins.

DynaPaul
11-19-2007, 03:02 PM
He's like the A-Rod of our defense. The guy can't come up with anything big when you really need it. He only looks good when it doesn't matter.

mchurchfie
11-19-2007, 03:09 PM
Sounds like JP.