PDA

View Full Version : Expanding playoffs will amount to subtraction by addition

The_Philster
03-30-2003, 08:27 AM
There was a surprising amount of support among NFL owners this week to expand the playoffs.
It won't happen for this season, but it could get approved in the next two years.

Too many factions have a stake in seeing more playoff teams. It's good for the owners because they can trumpet their season as a success if they make the postseason. That makes it easier for them to raise ticket prices. It's good for the coaches because making the playoffs helps their job security a bit. It will be good for the television networks, because it will be two more games for which they can sell expensive advertising....more (http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20030330/9007705.asp)

Halbert
03-30-2003, 08:56 AM
The more games the better, usually. The only thing I'm a little worried about is only 1 team having a bye. But I'd be up for giving it a shot and see what happens.

lordofgun
03-30-2003, 09:24 AM
Agree 100% hal!

Ð
03-30-2003, 11:07 AM
Don't makke it into the CFL, where almost every team makes it into the postseason. What a joke!

G. Host
03-30-2003, 01:57 PM
Went the division went to 4 conferences there became the possibility of a team without a winning record (i.e. 7-8-1).

In the meantime it is possible for a strong team to miss playoffs because such a weak team made playoffs.

Which is worse? A good team missing playoffs or a weak making it? Pretenders will quickly lose in playoffs (like Fish when slaughtered in playoffs by Jacksonville) but if a good team misses playoffs they have no chance for a make up call.