PDA

View Full Version : NBC SELLS BUFFALO FANS FALSE BILL OF GOODS

Johnny Bugmenot
11-19-2007, 01:12 PM
THERE'S nothing like being taken for a good spin on a crisp autumn day, the kind that causes sudden and involuntary retching.

When NBC, with the NFL's approval, two weeks ago chose tonight's Patriots-Bills game to move from a 1 p.m. start to 8:15 p.m. - that "flex scheduling" the league sold to NBC - NBC sports master Dick Ebersol hit the spin button, and how.

(snip)

Yeah, it's not just about trying to maximize prime-time ratings and ad revenues with a 9-0 team. Perish the thought! Ebersol the Magnificent loves you, Buffalo, and this is his gift to you!

It's the kind of love that leaves us to again conclude that if you're a ticket holder to any sport that has sold its authority and its sense of common decency - it's soul - to TV, either you purchased the right to be treated like a complete fool, or you're a born one.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11182007/sports/nbc_sells_buffalo_fans_false_bill_of_goo_889815.htm

Mushnick is usually a pompous @$$, but this is a pretty good read. The fact that it comes from a New York City paper surprises me (although I've seen the Post circulated in central New York).

BlackMetalNinja
11-19-2007, 01:45 PM
Mushnick is always a pompous ass and this is no exception. I pretty much disagree with the entire article. It's not like we're getting different treatment than any other team that gets put on Sunday night at home the next several weeks. Most Buffalo fans were proud that we were chosen for it and got to display their enthusiasm in front of a national audience, regardless of how disasterous the actual game may have been.

ParanoidAndroid
11-19-2007, 02:09 PM
It's the kind of love that leaves us to again conclude that if you're a ticket holder to any sport that has sold its authority and its sense of common decency - it's soul - to TV, either you purchased the right to be treated like a complete fool, or you're a born one.

That is a beautiful quote right there. I'm getting closer and closer to letting the NFL go like I have let the NBA go. Love for the game is increasingly being replaced by love for advertising and merchandise revenues. I know it's not new, but it is getting worse and worse. The substance is gone; it all seems so superficial now. Whereas it used to have intrinsic value and grit, it's gone glamour. Yuck! The only thing that keeps me watching is the Buffalo Bills.

Now....if only UB could build a better football program.

DynaPaul
11-19-2007, 03:11 PM
Yeah, some gift that was. Watching our team getting embarassed on national TV. Boy do I sure feel grateful for that.