PDA

View Full Version : Sporting News- Losman has his moments, but not enough of them.

patmoran2006
11-19-2007, 04:48 PM
What a tremendously precise article.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AkadMOgt6sFBx8.Sawc2zZD.uLYF?slug=billslosmanhashismoments&prov=tsn&type=lgns

It's a difficult balancing act. Losman is most comfortable playing with a gunslinger mentality, like Brett Favre (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/1025/;_ylt=An9aenxLKWf1sMR_NAT_WH8.ubYF) or Jay Cutler (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7760/;_ylt=Av3mLGceBvW5ncmmUffpkJQ.ubYF). Think of the many big plays to Lee Evans (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6772/;_ylt=AoEkXwEnvsDVC0c7zgsfwgk.ubYF). But there's a downside. When Losman's initial read is taken away, he has a tendency to be jittery in the pocket. He then fails to pull the trigger when other receivers are open or makes hurried, forced throws. So, despite his obvious passing skills, Losman does not possess that consistent pocket presence that inspires confidence.

That puts me in agreement with Jauron. But there's a corollary point. You can't compete at a high level trying to minimize the impact your quarterback has on the game. And that's what the Bills are doing with Losman -- hiding him to prevent bad plays and turnovers. That's why Trent Edwards (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/8346/;_ylt=AvHHOnluL_jIA0ObfwpGUgc.ubYF) must be the quarterback.

When I studied Edwards, I saw a more comfortable, poised player. He made quick decisions, got the ball out of his hands to the right receiver at the right time and was consistently accurate. He clearly has a stronger pocket presence than Losman.
Edwards' upside is greater. He gives Buffalo a better chance to run a multidimensional run-pass offense that attacks all areas of a defense. Sure, there will be a learning curve, but to contend in the tough AFC, the Bills need a quarterback who will not limit their offensive game plan. And that man is Trent Edwards.

Luisito23
11-19-2007, 04:54 PM
And that man is Trent Edwards.

Yes sir!!!......

GO BILLS!!!!!!!

Mr. Pink
11-19-2007, 04:55 PM
Spot on analysis.

billser
11-19-2007, 04:57 PM
Sounds good to me!

mchurchfie
11-19-2007, 05:05 PM
:bf1:

circlethewagons
11-19-2007, 05:07 PM
Dead on.

shelby
11-19-2007, 05:20 PM
He's got JP pegged.

Historian
11-19-2007, 05:21 PM
Translation: He's a passer...not a quarterback.

patmoran2006
11-19-2007, 05:23 PM
I dont think the guy is taking any stabs at Losman either.

Maybe if we had an offensive philosophy like Detroit or Atlanta it would be a different story. But we don't, and we're not going to anytime soon.

PcA125
11-19-2007, 05:36 PM
that was... perfect. Losman has his times when he can impress, but they are rare and most of the time he frustrates us. That being said, Trent is a rookie and has made some mistakes, but he has already shown some real positives

Mitchy moo
11-19-2007, 05:38 PM
He's got JP pegged.

Wow, that pretty much sums it up including the article, nice find Pat.

Ickybaluky
11-19-2007, 06:03 PM
Greg Cosell, a nephew to famed announcer Howard Cosell, does great stuff when he is on NFL Network. He is the man behind the "Edge NFL Matchup" show on ESPN, and has produced the show for years.

He hit the nail on the head in this article.

The Answer
11-19-2007, 06:11 PM
Losman does have his moments - but you have to wonder if there is another team or offensive scheme he fits into?

If Favre retires after this season does GB take a look? They still have a 1st round pick on the roster.

Or if Kitna implodes down the stretch in DET will they make a move?

Bottom line is that even if Losman were to get a 2nd chance on a new 'pass happy' team at some point you have to demonstrate the ability to make the intermediate throws and scan the field to find your 2nd,3rd and 4th options - Losman just don't have the ability and intelligence in the pocket to do that.

~The Answer

colin
11-20-2007, 10:50 AM
losman is like rex groseman but worse in every category.

Jimbuktu
11-20-2007, 11:01 AM
If Losman flops in the next couple of games, I am officially for the commencement of the Trent Edwards era. Hopefully we can see what we have in him before the year is out.

BUT, i definitely still think Losman can succeed in the league, given the right system.

Drev8
11-20-2007, 11:06 AM
Fortunately for us who want Trent to start, it's just a matter of time. The sad part is we'll have to miss the playoff again to get there.

raphael120
11-20-2007, 11:36 AM
Fortunately for us who want Trent to start, it's just a matter of time. The sad part is we'll have to miss the playoff again to get there.

THAT'S what pisses me off, and if JP is the main reason we lose this Jax game, I will place blame at the feet of Jauron because he made the call earlier in this season to go with Edwards, and now he's backing down on that for fear of whatever. Gutless coaching decisions, and it shows up on gameday too.

FlyingDutchman
11-20-2007, 11:59 AM
IMO Losman will only serve as a servicable back up in this league. Hes decent, but doesnt have "it".

YardRat
11-20-2007, 01:14 PM
Good article, but it really shouldn't be a revelation of any kind to anybody that's followed his career up to this point.

Drev8
11-20-2007, 01:20 PM
THAT'S what pisses me off, and if JP is the main reason we lose this Jax game, I will place blame at the feet of Jauron because he made the call earlier in this season to go with Edwards, and now he's backing down on that for fear of whatever. Gutless coaching decisions, and it shows up on gameday too.

Let's just hope Dick has the guts to put Trent in the second half if Losman plays terribly.

Kerr
11-21-2007, 06:51 AM
Very good article. Even though losman has the tenacity to make bonehead plays, I think he can be an effective qb if he was allowed to be a playmaker. Every single coach he's had in buffalo has "handcuffed" him to their offenses, rather than play to his strengths.