PDA

View Full Version : We need a moratorium on playoff talk

OpIv37
11-19-2007, 09:22 PM
Right now, this team is not playing like a playoff team. They have a long way to go. People are talking about the playoffs because it's a mathematical possibility without really thinking of the probability, which is very low as it stands right now.

If we beat Jacksonville, stay over .500 and avoid that 5th conference loss, I will stop complaining about the playoff talk.

As it stands now, it's still hopelessly optimistic to be discussing playoffs. We've already been over the scenarios and there's nothing left to discuss.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
11-19-2007, 09:48 PM
Playoffs?! Did you say PLAYOFFS?!!

PLAYOFFS?!!

(Remembering Mora Sr.)

Mitchy moo
11-19-2007, 09:52 PM
Right now, this team is not playing like a playoff team. They have a long way to go. People are talking about the playoffs because it's a mathematical possibility without really thinking of the probability, which is very low as it stands right now.

If we beat Jacksonville, stay over .500 and avoid that 5th conference loss, I will stop complaining about the playoff talk.

As it stands now, it's still hopelessly optimistic to be discussing playoffs. We've already been over the scenarios and there's nothing left to discuss.

You stop the too negative talk / we'll stop the too positive talk & we'll meet in the middle.

OpIv37
11-19-2007, 09:58 PM
You stop the too negative talk / we'll stop the too positive talk & we'll meet in the middle.

I'm not being negative. We got beat 56-10 last night and today people are talking about playoffs.

If we lose to Jax, it's over for all practical purposes. So, let's worry about them, and if we win, then we can talk playoffs.

Johnny Bugmenot
11-19-2007, 10:23 PM
It's been 8 years. Far too long.

As long as there's a chance, we're going to push for it, whether you like it or not.

BillsOverDolphins
11-19-2007, 10:28 PM

Amen...we're not going anywhere this year

Oaf
11-19-2007, 10:57 PM
How dare we pine for something we've waiting 8 years for while it's still possible. Hey guys, lets change subject and talk about the QB situation in Buffalo!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jdUr5hF0yGc
(http://youtube.com/watch?v=jdUr5hF0yGc)
There ya go Op. I feel just like the guy at the very end of the clip.

Historian
11-20-2007, 04:50 AM
NO!

We need MORE playoff talk!!

We need to send these guys our emails of support!!!

They CAN do it, with hard work and FOCUS!!!

Go Bills!!!

Night Train
11-20-2007, 05:17 AM
Let's just take it one week at a time, like this coming Sunday against the favored Jags.

I'd be surprised if we won, since the Jags have really started to gel and look like the 2nd-3rd best team in the AFC.

YardRat
11-20-2007, 05:27 AM
Whatever you say, Wade.

John Doe
11-20-2007, 05:36 AM

If you don't want to discuss the playoffs then don't.

Others can feel free to discuss the playoffs at any time - it's their right.

mybills
11-20-2007, 06:10 AM
You're all correct.

The Bills are a hot & cold team.

OpIv37
11-20-2007, 07:51 AM

It's ignorant and hopelessly optimistic, especially with Denver winning last night.

It takes an embarrassingly ridiculous level of denying reality to be talking about playoffs less than 24 hours removed from a 56-10 loss.

DraftBoy
11-20-2007, 07:55 AM
I think we are a playoff caliber team in 2010

HHURRICANE
11-20-2007, 08:03 AM
I'm kind of with OP on this one for two reasons.

1) WE AREN"T MAKING THE PLAYOFFS!!!!

2) WE AREN"T MAKING THE PLAYOFFS!!!!

The Bills are not a very good football team which was made abundantly clear after the last 2 weeks.

This board is classic at perpetuating the unrealistic. There is a big difference between possible and probable.

User Manuel
11-20-2007, 08:05 AM
Are
Jacksonville
Cleveland
Tennessee
or
Houston
really playoff teams?

That is our competition. It seems like a whole lot of the same to me.

There is a difference between being merely a playoff team and a contender. This team could make the playoffs and be a very nice sacrificial lamb for someone like Pittsburgh or San Diego.

I am staying positive.

OpIv37
11-20-2007, 08:15 AM
This team could make the playoffs and be a very nice sacrificial lamb for someone like Pittsburgh or San Diego.

THAT's staying positive?

User Manuel
11-20-2007, 08:51 AM
THAT's staying positive?

Its all relative. saying this team could make the playoffs isn't denial it is a distinct possibility.

It is more of an indictment of the mediocrity of the NFL outside of New England.

Lets enjoy the ride and hopefully the wins. It has been far too long.

OpIv37
11-20-2007, 09:17 AM
Its all relative. saying this team could make the playoffs isn't denial it is a distinct possibility.

It is more of an indictment of the mediocrity of the NFL outside of New England.

Lets enjoy the ride and hopefully the wins. It has been far too long.

all I'm saying is that we're driving a Pontiac G6. It's got a V6 and some features and can be a fun ride, but let's not pull up to the red light and rev the engines next to the Porsches or even the Acura TL's or the Mustangs and pretend we can beat them off the line.

BlackMetalNinja
11-20-2007, 09:28 AM
I find it hilarious that Op gets all mad when people tell him to stop being negative, that he has a right to vent and share his opinion....

Then he tells others to stop talking about the playoffs.

OpIv37
11-20-2007, 09:40 AM
I find it hilarious that Op gets all mad when people tell him to stop being negative, that he has a right to vent and share his opinion....

Then he tells others to stop talking about the playoffs.

when I'm negative there's a damn good reason for it and I always state the reason.

People are talking playoffs the day after a 56-10 loss. People are talking playoffs when we barely beat Miami and the offense remains anemic. Stop and think about that for a second.

What people fail to realize is that when the team has these problems, "negative" is actually realistic. Talking about playoffs right now isn't realistic despite the fact that it's still a mathematical possibility.

TacklingDummy
11-20-2007, 09:51 AM
There will be no playoffs as long as...

-JP Losman is the starting QB of the Bills

-The pass rush decides to not play all year long

-Injuries, Injuries, Injuries

-Can't stop the run

Maybe if the Bills played

Week 1: @Miami
Week 2: JETS
Week 3: Ravens
Week 4: @ Bengals
Week 6: MIAMI
Week 7: @Jets
Week 8 @Ravens
Week 9: Bye
Week 10: BENGALS
Week 11: @Miami
Week 12: JETS
Week 13: RAVENS
week 14: @ Bengals
Week 15: Miami
Week 16: @ Jets
Week 17 @ Ravens

...then maybe they will make the playoffs.

MikeInRoch
11-20-2007, 09:59 AM
Just what kind of position do you have to TELL people what they should and shouldn't talk about?

OpIv37
11-20-2007, 10:05 AM
Just what kind of position do you have to TELL people what they should and shouldn't talk about?

I'm not in any position- I'm just letting people know that it's unrealistic and ridiculous and comes off as extremely ignorant to be discussing playoffs at this point. We have this whole disclaimer about how this is supposedly the "holy grail of Bills forums"- well, we're certainly not living up to that reputation when people are talking playoffs after how this team has been playing.

BlackMetalNinja
11-20-2007, 10:18 AM
when I'm negative there's a damn good reason for it and I always state the reason.

People are talking playoffs the day after a 56-10 loss. People are talking playoffs when we barely beat Miami and the offense remains anemic. Stop and think about that for a second.

What people fail to realize is that when the team has these problems, "negative" is actually realistic. Talking about playoffs right now isn't realistic despite the fact that it's still a mathematical possibility.

So let me see if I get this then...

You're right and everbody that doesn't agree is wrong.

As long as I know what I'm allowed to think in order to be correct now.... thanks for the enlightment :up:

OpIv37
11-20-2007, 10:23 AM
So let me see if I get this then...

You're right and everbody that doesn't agree is wrong.

As long as I know what I'm allowed to think in order to be correct now.... thanks for the enlightment :up:

When someone makes an argument as to why we will make the playoffs that's as strong as the argument as to why we won't make the playoffs, then you can tell me that I'm wrong. At the moment, though, all this playoff talk is based on nothing more than a mathematical possibility with no real evidence or logic- that's called ignorance.

Not everything is 100% opinion- some things are right, and some things are wrong. I don't know where this attitude came from that people who are being positive about the Bills can't ever be wrong.

It is not realistic to be talking about playoffs right now- that's the truth.

BlackMetalNinja
11-20-2007, 10:33 AM
When someone makes an argument as to why we will make the playoffs that's as strong as the argument as to why we won't make the playoffs, then you can tell me that I'm wrong. At the moment, though, all this playoff talk is based on nothing more than a mathematical possibility with no real evidence or logic- that's called ignorance.

Not everything is 100% opinion- some things are right, and some things are wrong. I don't know where this attitude came from that people who are being positive about the Bills can't ever be wrong.

It is not realistic to be talking about playoffs right now- that's the truth.

I never said you were wrong... I'm simply stating that I find it hypocritical of you to get pissed when everybody complains about your negativity, and then you turn around and tell people trying to be positive that they're wrong and their opinion has no basis.

OpIv37
11-20-2007, 10:46 AM
I never said you were wrong... I'm simply stating that I find it hypocritical of you to get pissed when everybody complains about your negativity, and then you turn around and tell people trying to be positive that they're wrong and their opinion has no basis.

I didn't get pissed and I'm not telling people they can't be positive- I'm just saying that it's unrealistic to be discussing playoffs unless we defeat Jacksonville.

Seriously, what was your reaction when you logged in the day after a 56-10 loss and saw at least 2 or 3 threads about playoffs?

BlackMetalNinja
11-20-2007, 10:59 AM
Actually, I never come in here on Mondays because I get far too annoyed in about 10 seconds usually. And you read yesterday where I said that I'd expect even the most optimistic people to be annoyed with our team after that disgrace Sunday night... And yes, I do find the talk of playoffs a bit ridiculous, especially after that game, but I'm not going to tell people they can't or shouldn't talk about it.

If they want to, then so be it, let them think how they want to think.

Though by the same standards that I jump on your back sometimes, if they start trying to beat everybody over the head with it in every thread, I'll get just as annoyed as I get with you in here from time to time.

DraftBoy
11-20-2007, 11:16 AM

I have a cool Mod icon under my name, does that qualify me?

BillsOverDolphins
11-20-2007, 11:26 AM
Op is right...To even mention the playoffs is somewhere between denial and delusional. We just got hammered on national tv by 46 points, we haven't beat a good team all year, and we have only one creampuff left on our schedule. I "hope" the Bills make the playoffs just as much as the next fan, but reality has to set in some time. The Bills have shown nothing this year that indicates they can make a stretch run against winning teams

raphael120
11-20-2007, 11:40 AM
Let's face it, jacksonville is our wildcard wildcard game.
We're without Lynch again probably, and JP is playing at QB.

Sorry to say, but Jacksonville is a very physical team, and our team is very small and not as strong at theirs, we'll probably get manhandled and JP will make some crucial mistakes, we'll be down at the half, and it will remain that way through the rest of the game.

At that point, I hope Jauron will make the right decision and go with Trent.

billsburgh
11-20-2007, 11:50 AM

afterall, this is a message board for discussing the Bills and their chances at the playoffs.

MikeInRoch
11-20-2007, 12:13 PM
I have a cool Mod icon under my name, does that qualify me?

Sure. But it would be unfortunate if you dictated "no one shall post regarding topic X, which is directly about the Buffalo Bills."

OpIv37
11-20-2007, 12:15 PM
Sure. But it would be unfortunate if you dictated "no one shall post regarding topic X, which is directly about the Buffalo Bills."

I should have clarified that I was hoping for a self-imposed moratorium- I agree that no one should have the power to declare a Bills-related topic off limits, including mods and myself.

MikeInRoch
11-20-2007, 12:16 PM
I'm not in any position- I'm just letting people know that it's unrealistic and ridiculous and comes off as extremely ignorant to be discussing playoffs at this point. We have this whole disclaimer about how this is supposedly the "holy grail of Bills forums"- well, we're certainly not living up to that reputation when people are talking playoffs after how this team has been playing.

This team is exactly ONE game out of the playoff hunt. ONE. Have they been playing like crap? You bet. They have a very real chance of making the playoffs DESPITE that. Is it a large chance? Maybe not. But it's certainly not zero.

OpIv37
11-20-2007, 12:22 PM
This team is exactly ONE game out of the playoff hunt. ONE. Have they been playing like crap? You bet. They have a very real chance of making the playoffs DESPITE that. Is it a large chance? Maybe not. But it's certainly not zero.

mathematically they have a very real chance.

However, until they play better on the actual field, that chance isn't very realistic. Quantitative analysis only tells part of the story- you need qualitative analysis as well. We have 6 games left and every remaining opponent except Miami is at least .500. The Bills have yet to prove they can beat anyone of that caliber. 4 of the 6 games are on the road, and one of the home games is against the better-than-average Giants.

If they win this weekend over Jacksonville, it's some evidence that they can beat a decent team and it makes the mathematical possibility of making the playoffs more likely. Until then, playoff hopes are predicated on this team doing things that they have yet to prove they are capable of doing.

DraftBoy
11-20-2007, 12:40 PM

Dictator DraftBoy has a nice ring to it, doesnt it?

BlackMetalNinja
11-20-2007, 12:42 PM
Dictator DraftBoy has a nice ring to it, doesnt it?

Replace the "tator" with "head" and you're on to something... :nod:

DraftBoy
11-20-2007, 02:23 PM
Replace the "tator" with "head" and you're on to something... :nod:

Works the same way

smartass

John Doe
11-20-2007, 02:24 PM
I should have clarified that I was hoping for a self-imposed moratorium- I agree that no one should have the power to declare a Bills-related topic off limits, including mods and myself.

Its real simple:

If you don't want to read about playoff possibilities, then don't read the posts.

How easy is that?

OpIv37
11-20-2007, 02:26 PM
Its real simple:

If you don't want to read about playoff possibilities, then don't read the posts.

How easy is that?

Is this the holy grail of Bills forums or not?

If we really want it to be as it's advertised, then ridiculous, unrealistic, daydream type posts should be discouraged.

John Doe
11-20-2007, 02:38 PM
Is this the holy grail of Bills forums or not?

If we really want it to be as it's advertised, then ridiculous, unrealistic, daydream type posts should be discouraged.

Fine then.

Go back to arguing that McCargo cant' possibly improve and that DiGiorgio can't possibly play in the NFL.

This whole thread is disingenuious to begin with. It was meant to do the opposite of the implication in it's title.

OpIv37
11-20-2007, 02:39 PM
Fine then.

Go back to arguing that McCargo cant' possibly improve and that DiGiorgio can't possibly play in the NFL.

This whole thread is disingenuious to begin with. It was meant to do the opposite of the implication in it's title.

well it wasn't meant to but it certainly had that unintended effect.

I'll ignore the rest of that post since you insist on mischaracterizing what I said.

JerseyBoofaloBills
11-20-2007, 02:41 PM
Fine then.

DiGiorgio cant play in the NFL.

OpIv37
11-20-2007, 02:42 PM
DiGiorgio cant play in the NFL.

He's no Poz or Fletch, that's for sure. Some games he looks servicable, some games he looks terrible. I think he'll be a decent back up.

John Doe
11-20-2007, 02:44 PM
well it wasn't meant to but it certainly had that unintended effect.

I'll ignore the rest of that post since you insist on mischaracterizing what I said.

Of course it had that effect. You knew it all along.

Ignore away - that is what I keep telling you to do.

But, I have the feeling that you will keep this thread alive with your last breath.

JerseyBoofaloBills
11-20-2007, 02:49 PM
He's no Poz or Fletch, that's for sure. Some games he looks servicable, some games he looks terrible. I think he'll be a decent back up.

he's no anything, you put him anywhere else and he's a 3rd LB at best..i just dont like Discrubio..but anyway, OP i agree with everything you say, mathmatically yes we can make playoffs, but i really dont believe we have the talent to actually win a playoff game, our team is too beat up and just not good as everyone thinks.

John Doe
11-20-2007, 02:51 PM
he's no anything, you put him anywhere else and he's a 3rd LB at best..i just dont like Discrubio..but anyway, OP i agree with everything you say, mathmatically yes we can make playoffs, but i really dont believe we have the talent to actually win a playoff game, our team is too beat up and just not good as everyone thinks.

Thank you for discussing the playoffs.

OpIv37
11-20-2007, 02:52 PM
ur team is too beat up and just not good as everyone thinks.

I tried to tell people that after the Jets game and after the Dolphins game, but they just accused me of complaining about a win. Apparently it's impossible to show flaws in a win.

JerseyBoofaloBills
11-20-2007, 02:54 PM
Thank you for discussing the playoffs.

sarcasm? if not, then your welcome..i wouldnt want to waste my time talking about digiorgio.

justasportsfan
11-20-2007, 02:54 PM
you talk like you know for fact that POz can do better and I'll take DiG over Fletch in this D.

JerseyBoofaloBills
11-20-2007, 02:55 PM
I tried to tell people that after the Jets game and after the Dolphins game, but they just accused me of complaining about a win. Apparently it's impossible to show flaws in a win.

i was happy about the win..but i knew from there we were no where close to a playoff contender..i can see where you're coming from, like the steelers lost to the jets, but i still think they're an amazing team..Flaws in a win? yes, just look at that steelers game.

JerseyBoofaloBills
11-20-2007, 02:57 PM
you talk like you know for fact that POz can do better and I'll take DiG over Fletch in this D.

really? ill take fletch anyday, but ill tell you right now, ill take POz over dig anyday.

OpIv37

just out of curiosity, you're the one who said our players will improve after another year in the D and it looks like you may have been right, at least to some extent- why do you think that wouldn't have happened to Fletcher, especially when he's better than anyone currently on our D?

I don't know for a fact, but from what I saw of Poz before the injury, I have no doubt that he'll be better than DiG when healthy.

John Doe
Playoffs....discuss.

OpIv37
11-20-2007, 02:59 PM
Playoffs....discuss.

stop trying to antagonize. Either contribute to what we're discussing or take your own advice and just ignore it.

JerseyBoofaloBills
11-20-2007, 03:00 PM
Playoffs....discuss.

practice what you preach man.

John Doe
11-20-2007, 03:02 PM
practice what you preach man.

I am doing just that.

Now, let's get back to discussing the playoffs.

JerseyBoofaloBills
11-20-2007, 03:03 PM
I am doing just that.

No you're not, your just telling everyone else to talk about playoffs.

justasportsfan
11-20-2007, 03:05 PM
just out of curiosity, you're the one who said our players will improve after another year in the D and it looks like you may have been right, at least to some extent- why do you think that wouldn't have happened to Fletcher, especially when he's better than anyone currently on our D?

I don't know for a fact, but from what I saw of Poz before the injury, I have no doubt that he'll be better than DiG when healthy.
Fletcher is hardly in the backfield which this system requires. DiG has made several stops for losses . Fletch has been and always will be a lber whose chases people down after the LOS.

JerseyBoofaloBills
11-20-2007, 03:07 PM
Fletcher is hardly in the backfield which this system requires. DiG has made several stops for losses . Fletch has been and always will be a lber whose chases people down after the LOS.

are you seriously trying to compare fletch to DiG? because that's rediculous.

justasportsfan
11-20-2007, 03:07 PM
really? ill take fletch anyday, but ill tell you right now, ill take POz over dig anyday.
POZ definitely has more potential based on his physical attributes. Smarts, I don't know.There isn't enough data on POZ to make a comparison. Even Crowell picked DiG as the most surpising player to step up on D .

justasportsfan
11-20-2007, 03:08 PM
are you seriously trying to compare fletch to DiG? because that's rediculous.
IN this system , yes. IN Gregs system no.

John Doe
11-20-2007, 03:08 PM
No you're not, your just telling everyone else to talk about playoffs.

I have to go get some exercise.

Please discuss the playoffs while I'm gone.

JerseyBoofaloBills
11-20-2007, 03:09 PM
POZ definitely has more potential based on his physical attributes. Smarts, I don't know.There isn't enough data on POZ to make a comparison. Even Crowell picked DiG as the most surpising player to step up on D .

idk man. im surprised that he wouldn't have picked greer, i think he's doing the best on this D to step up.

JerseyBoofaloBills
11-20-2007, 03:09 PM
IN this system , yes. IN Gregs system no.
oh, ya definitly.

justasportsfan
11-20-2007, 03:10 PM
idk man. im surprised that he wouldn't have picked greer, i think he's doing the best on this D to step up.
THe MLB is the field general in any D. Not the cb.

JerseyBoofaloBills
11-20-2007, 03:10 PM
I have to go get some exercise.

Please discuss the playoffs while I'm gone.

i forgot discussing that you have to exercise has alot to do with the playoffs..stfu.

JerseyBoofaloBills
11-20-2007, 03:11 PM
THe MLB is the field general in any D. Not the cb.

CB's the hardest position in the NFL besides QB and LT.

justasportsfan
11-20-2007, 03:12 PM
CB's the hardest position in the NFL besides QB and LT.
Physically, They are the best athletes in any position in football , doesn't mean it's the most cerebral one.

JerseyBoofaloBills
11-20-2007, 03:16 PM
Physically, They are the best athletes in any position in football , doesn't mean it's the most cerebral one.
Best Athletes yes..But it's still the hardest position in the NFL, especially man coverage, WR's have the biggest advantage in the game..he knows what he's doing, CB's have no idea, i dont think MLB is harder than CB.

justasportsfan
11-20-2007, 03:22 PM
Best Athletes yes..But it's still the hardest position in the NFL, especially man coverage, WR's have the biggest advantage in the game..he knows what he's doing, CB's have no idea, i dont think MLB is harder than CB.

It's a chess game between the MLB vs. the QB.

John Doe
11-20-2007, 04:07 PM
Does anyone think that the improved play of McCargo can propel the Bills to the playoffs?

JerseyBoofaloBills
11-20-2007, 04:12 PM
Does anyone think that the improved play of McCargo can propel the Bills to the playoffs?

no, because the bills aren't going to make it to the playoffs.

BillsOverDolphins
11-20-2007, 04:17 PM
I am doing just that.

Sure, we have NO chance...I'd bet my life on it

John Doe
11-20-2007, 04:21 PM
Sure, we have NO chance...I'd bet my life on it

You are on!

If the Bills make the playoffs you have to kill yourself.

If they don't, you can live.

BillsOverDolphins
11-20-2007, 04:23 PM
You are on!

If the Bills make the playoffs you have to kill yourself.

If they don't, you can live.
deal