PDA

View Full Version : Whitner = Roy Willliams?

The Answer
11-20-2007, 11:37 AM
The Answer is a bit concerned - and after studying a lot of flim on Whitner it appears he has the same tendencies as another hard hitting, former top 10 draft pick.

No question this kid knows how to hit hard and lay receivers out - he's also a solid blitzer and great against the run. BUT - upon further review it seems he's not progressing in pass coverage and tends to give up a lot of big plays and be out of position way too often.

He's still only in his second year but is anybody else concerned about his poor coverage skills? And no The Answer is not bringing this up because of the pats game - it was noticeable long before then.

~The Answer

patmoran2006
11-20-2007, 11:52 AM
He is struggling vs the pass. He doesnt have an INT yet in his career I believe, though I could be wrong

bigbub2352
11-20-2007, 11:55 AM
he isnt strugglin against the pass, teams with the exception of NE, havent been throwin all over us, and remember he has a WR playin next to him, most of the time they throw away from Whitner instead of bye him, plus he had good coverage on watson that was a great pass, most Qbs couldnt make, he is a sure tackler and excellent against the run, he had a pick against NE last year and returned it for a TD but it was called back of course, anyways Whitner is fine, give him and Simpson a year together and they will be outstanding, Probowl caliber i think

JerseyBoofaloBills
11-20-2007, 11:57 AM
He is struggling vs the pass. He doesnt have an INT yet in his career I believe, though I could be wrong
He has 1 Int, i think it was against thee patriots first game of the year last year.

OpIv37
11-20-2007, 12:00 PM

he had one INT last year.

So far this year- 0 INT's, 0 tipped passes, 1 forced fumble, 0 sacks.

He definitely struggled in pass coverage against NE, and there were several other games where passes were completed either right in front of him or right over him (TJ's TD in the Bengals' game comes immediately to mind). Overall I think he's been average but I'd really like to see a big play out of him from time to time. He just doesn't seem to have that in him.

And the whole team got lit up by the Patriots, but two of the TD's were right in front of him. And he missed McGahee at the LOS on McGahee's long TD run.

Overall, I expected a lot more out of him than what we've seen so far.

patmoran2006
11-20-2007, 12:01 PM
Still like him overall..

bigbub2352
11-20-2007, 12:02 PM
he had one INT last year.

So far this year- 0 INT's, 0 tipped passes, 0 forced fumbles, 0 sacks.

He definitely struggled in pass coverage against NE, and there were several other games where passes were completed either right in front of him or right over him (TJ's TD in the Bengals' game comes immediately to mind). Overall I think he's been average but I'd really like to see a big play out of him from time to time. He just doesn't seem to have that in him.

And the whole team got lit up by the Patriots, but two of the TD's were right in front of him. And he missed McGahee at the LOS on McGahee's long TD run.

Overall, I expected a lot more out of him than what we've seen so far.
those stats cant be right, he had 2 passes deflected that i can remember, also that was greer that got beat for the td against Cinn, plus sacks wont come if u never blitz him , and cause our D sucks Fewell never blitzes him, he is our last resort back there on most plays, gotta remember the scheme, as well as players around him, he will be excellent for us for years to come no question

OpIv37
11-20-2007, 12:08 PM
those stats cant be right, he had 2 passes deflected that i can remember, also that was greer that got beat for the td against Cinn, plus sacks wont come if u never blitz him , and cause our D sucks Fewell never blitzes him, he is our last resort back there on most plays, gotta remember the scheme, as well as players around him, he will be excellent for us for years to come no question

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7757

According to Yahoo he has no passes defensed (PD). He does have one forced fumble so I'll go back and fix that.

I understand that we don't usually blitz S's in our D so I don't really hold that against him. The 0 passes defensed as a safety is a concern though.

I really don't think he's bad- he's made some key errors this year but a) who on our team hasn't? and b) it seems that a lot of OC's are unwilling to challenge him, so he must be doing something right. I just expected more out of the #8 pick. Watching him stand there helplessly in the endzone as NE scored TWICE was very disappointing.

patmoran2006
11-20-2007, 12:12 PM
IN closing, I still dont think he was the right pick at #8 overall, but anyone who calls him a "bust" doesnt know what they're saying.

He's a good player. I don't think he'll be an elite safety, but he'll be a good one.

bigbub2352
11-20-2007, 12:17 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7757

According to Yahoo he has no passes defensed (PD). He does have one forced fumble so I'll go back and fix that.

I understand that we don't usually blitz S's in our D so I don't really hold that against him. The 0 passes defensed as a safety is a concern though.

I really don't think he's bad- he's made some key errors this year but a) who on our team hasn't? and b) it seems that a lot of OC's are unwilling to challenge him, so he must be doing something right. I just expected more out of the #8 pick. Watching him stand there helplessly in the endzone as NE scored TWICE was very disappointing.

i am not saying u had the stats wrong, yahoo must, cause i remember him defending some pass as well, but what the hell do i know, alot of hits to the head and being liquired up for years, my judgement isnt what it once was LOL anyway. i think we have other players to be worrying about, and our secondary next year will be one of this teams strengths

TaylorThePirate
11-20-2007, 12:18 PM
i love donte and always will. hes a great leader and he had a deflection in week three. it was in the endzone

Mahdi
11-20-2007, 12:21 PM
I think any safety will struggle with an inconsistent pass rush. He isnt being given the opportunity to make plays. When a QB has so much time to throw he will find an open space to throw to rather than trying to fit it in tight areas.

colin
11-20-2007, 02:09 PM
the pats have the best big play o in the nfl and nearly all of their completions (besides the big TD to moss early, and that was wilson stopping 10 yards short like a high school db) were underneath.

sitting back as far as he does all the time is daring the O to beat Dipizza, ellison, and crow. the thing is when it's welker and watson or an RB underneath that always happens. crow didn't get depth on more than a few passes, pizza is horrible out there, and we get no bumps off the line.

our scheme obviously didn't work, but we simply don't have talent enough to play against NE.

Bone
11-20-2007, 03:02 PM
I dont think you can call his coverage skills that bad considering the fact that are secondary isn't the greatest and we have a lot of injuries... Hes a definite leader on our defense.

OpIv37
11-20-2007, 03:08 PM
I dont think you can call his coverage skills that bad considering the fact that are secondary isn't the greatest and we have a lot of injuries... Hes a definite leader on our defense.

I don't think the problem is that his coverage skills are that bad, but someone needs to step up. If the DL isn't getting to the QB, find a way to make a play on the ball. Make Brady regret throwing it in your direction. I know it's easier said than done and it takes a special athlete to pull that off, but when you use the #8 overall pick on a S that's what you should get.

I think what I'm getting at is that our team is full of holes, and when the chips are bad, everyone just plays off each others' poor performances and no one steps up their game. Look at the way Trevor Laws plays tackle for ND or the way Ronnie Brown was running for Miami before he got hurt. These were guys who were thrown in a bad situation and said "if we're gonna lose, it sure as hell won't be my fault." I'd love to see someone on our D do that and Whitner's as good as anyone.

hydro
11-20-2007, 03:12 PM
I don't think the problem is that his coverage skills are that bad, but someone needs to step up. If the DL isn't getting to the QB, find a way to make a play on the ball. Make Brady regret throwing it in your direction. I know it's easier said than done and it takes a special athlete to pull that off, but when you use the #8 overall pick on a S that's what you should get.

I think what I'm getting at is that our team is full of holes, and when the chips are bad, everyone just plays off each others' poor performances and no one steps up their game. Look at the way Trevor Laws plays tackle for ND or the way Ronnie Brown was running for Miami before he got hurt. These were guys who were thrown in a bad situation and said "if we're gonna lose, it sure as hell won't be my fault." I'd love to see someone on our D do that and Whitner's as good as anyone.
Not to deter from this thread subject, but i just can't believe that a DT is leading a team in tackles. Trevor Laws is a special player, thats for sure.

OpIv37
11-20-2007, 03:14 PM
Not to deter from this thread subject, but i just can't believe that a DT is leading a team in tackles. Trevor Laws is a special player, thats for sure.

I'd love to see the Bills land him but I doubt they'll get the opportunity. The guy's been a beast for the last 3 years.

RockStar36
11-20-2007, 03:15 PM

Yeah you are wrong.