You know what?? I don't think NE is actually all that good!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shiny Chicken
    Shinier than your mom
    • Jul 2002

You know what?? I don't think NE is actually all that good!

Too be perfectly honest, I think the rest of the league right now, except for a very very select few, is just that bad. I'm just not seeing football teams to the calibre of the ones 10 years ago or 20 years ago. I honestly think the Patriots would be far from undefeated in a 1990's NFL. I could be way off base here. I think they'd still be vying for a championship in those years, but it wouldn't be a near sure thing like it is now, and they wouldn't be steamrolling over almost all their opponents.

Watching the Patriots play the Colts was just about what it was like watching any playoff calibre teams play eachother back in the 90's. Maybe I'm being overly nostalgic, and maybe I just hate the Patriots. But calling them the best team of all time because they're playing like a good NFL team from ten years ago, but in today's league... I think is a bit of an overstatement.

• Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

Re: You know what?? I don't think NE is actually all that good!

Originally posted by Shiny Chicken
    Too be perfectly honest, I think the rest of the league right now, except for a very very select few, is just that bad. I'm just not seeing football teams to the calibre of the ones 10 years ago or 20 years ago. I honestly think the Patriots would be far from undefeated in a 1990's NFL. I could be way off base here. I think they'd still be vying for a championship in those years, but it wouldn't be a near sure thing like it is now, and they wouldn't be steamrolling over almost all their opponents.

Watching the Patriots play the Colts was just about what it was like watching any playoff calibre teams play eachother back in the 90's. Maybe I'm being overly nostalgic, and maybe I just hate the Patriots. But calling them the best team of all time because they're playing like a good NFL team from ten years ago, but in today's league... I think is a bit of an overstatement.
    To a point I agree....but they are that good. If what you say were true they would not have put up over 400 points already this season.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

I believe it's a combination of the following.

1. The Pats are very good with a QB having the best single season I've ever seen in my 40 years of watching the NFL.
      2. The best Coach in the NFL is going to kill every team every chance he gets after being labeled a cheater in the press.
      3. The rest of the NFL isn't that good as a whole.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Shiny Chicken
        Shinier than your mom
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ebenezer
        To a point I agree....but they are that good. If what you say were true they would not have put up over 400 points already this season.
        Yes, but look at their game against the Colts.. They didn't put up that kind of poimt total cause they went up against a team who could actually play on the same field with them. The rest of the time, they're playing against defenses that simply don't have the ability to stop them. What i'm trying to say is that in the not so distant past, there would have been many more defenses that could at least slow them down, and you would not see these kinds of point totals from them. Sub out the Patriots for Joe Montana's or Steve Young's 49ers, or the Cowboys of '92, or the Bills... hell sub in almost any of the playoff contenders from those seasons, and I think you would see similar production.

The Patriots are an 8, playing in a league with a whole lot of 3's and 4's, a couple 5's and 6's and a 7.

Comment

• Shiny Chicken
          Shinier than your mom
          • Jul 2002

For example, Moss is great, but I'd take Jerry Rice over hiim any day, Brady's having a hell of a season, but I'd take Kelly, Marino, Elway, Montana, Young, are Favre in his MVP days over him under center in a second.

Comment

• Ebenezer
            Give me a minute...
            • Jul 2002

but the "team" is a composite of all the parts...and sometimes you have to multiply those parts instead of add them.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

I hope they lose in the playoffs.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Ebenezer
                Give me a minute...
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat
                I have a feeling they won't...remember that pasting that Chicago put on them in the SB...they may make that look close.

Comment

• Owen DeBoard
                  • Sep 2007

I think NE weakness is going to hurt them come playoffs. You need a strong rushing attack in the playoffs and I dont see them having it. The weather can become a problem for them. Especially since they will have home field advantage. This might actually play into the colts hands because they have a very good running game. Playoff teams need a good running game and good defense to win.
                  To be the man you got to beat the man!

Comment

• mybills
                    81 st zoner
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                    I believe his point is, anyone would look good when all they have is crap opponents.
                    I agree.
                    I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• jamze132
                      Don’t hate…
                      • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Shiny Chicken

You are...

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

It really doesn't matter how this NE team would stack up to the great teams of the past because the past is the past.

Right now, NE really is that much better than everyone else in the league.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• mybills
                          81 st zoner
                          • Jul 2002

because everyone else in the league is worse.
                          I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                            Roways rooking ahread!
                            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by YardRat
                            that's where the Bills get their revenge.

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by mybills
                              because everyone else in the league is worse.
                              it's an irrelevant distinction though.

The Patriots don't have to play the Cowboys of the mid 90's or the Bills of the early 90's or the 49ers of the late 80's or the 85 Bears.

They have to play 2007 teams, and they're much better than anyone else in 2007, regardless of it's because they're that good or if it's because everyone else is that bad.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X