PDA

View Full Version : You know what?? I don't think NE is actually all that good!

Shiny Chicken
11-21-2007, 03:54 AM
Too be perfectly honest, I think the rest of the league right now, except for a very very select few, is just that bad. I'm just not seeing football teams to the calibre of the ones 10 years ago or 20 years ago. I honestly think the Patriots would be far from undefeated in a 1990's NFL. I could be way off base here. I think they'd still be vying for a championship in those years, but it wouldn't be a near sure thing like it is now, and they wouldn't be steamrolling over almost all their opponents.

Watching the Patriots play the Colts was just about what it was like watching any playoff calibre teams play eachother back in the 90's. Maybe I'm being overly nostalgic, and maybe I just hate the Patriots. But calling them the best team of all time because they're playing like a good NFL team from ten years ago, but in today's league... I think is a bit of an overstatement.

Ebenezer
11-21-2007, 04:04 AM
Too be perfectly honest, I think the rest of the league right now, except for a very very select few, is just that bad. I'm just not seeing football teams to the calibre of the ones 10 years ago or 20 years ago. I honestly think the Patriots would be far from undefeated in a 1990's NFL. I could be way off base here. I think they'd still be vying for a championship in those years, but it wouldn't be a near sure thing like it is now, and they wouldn't be steamrolling over almost all their opponents.

Watching the Patriots play the Colts was just about what it was like watching any playoff calibre teams play eachother back in the 90's. Maybe I'm being overly nostalgic, and maybe I just hate the Patriots. But calling them the best team of all time because they're playing like a good NFL team from ten years ago, but in today's league... I think is a bit of an overstatement.
To a point I agree....but they are that good. If what you say were true they would not have put up over 400 points already this season.

Night Train
11-21-2007, 04:39 AM
I believe it's a combination of the following.

1. The Pats are very good with a QB having the best single season I've ever seen in my 40 years of watching the NFL.
2. The best Coach in the NFL is going to kill every team every chance he gets after being labeled a cheater in the press.
3. The rest of the NFL isn't that good as a whole.

Shiny Chicken
11-21-2007, 05:19 AM
To a point I agree....but they are that good. If what you say were true they would not have put up over 400 points already this season. Yes, but look at their game against the Colts.. They didn't put up that kind of poimt total cause they went up against a team who could actually play on the same field with them. The rest of the time, they're playing against defenses that simply don't have the ability to stop them. What i'm trying to say is that in the not so distant past, there would have been many more defenses that could at least slow them down, and you would not see these kinds of point totals from them. Sub out the Patriots for Joe Montana's or Steve Young's 49ers, or the Cowboys of '92, or the Bills... hell sub in almost any of the playoff contenders from those seasons, and I think you would see similar production.

The Patriots are an 8, playing in a league with a whole lot of 3's and 4's, a couple 5's and 6's and a 7.

Shiny Chicken
11-21-2007, 05:22 AM
For example, Moss is great, but I'd take Jerry Rice over hiim any day, Brady's having a hell of a season, but I'd take Kelly, Marino, Elway, Montana, Young, are Favre in his MVP days over him under center in a second.

Ebenezer
11-21-2007, 05:26 AM
but the "team" is a composite of all the parts...and sometimes you have to multiply those parts instead of add them.

YardRat
11-21-2007, 05:28 AM
I hope they lose in the playoffs.

Ebenezer
11-21-2007, 05:32 AM
I have a feeling they won't...remember that pasting that Chicago put on them in the SB...they may make that look close.

Owen DeBoard
11-21-2007, 05:59 AM
I think NE weakness is going to hurt them come playoffs. You need a strong rushing attack in the playoffs and I dont see them having it. The weather can become a problem for them. Especially since they will have home field advantage. This might actually play into the colts hands because they have a very good running game. Playoff teams need a good running game and good defense to win.

mybills
11-21-2007, 06:02 AM
To a point I agree....but they are that good. If what you say were true they would not have put up over 400 points already this season.

I believe his point is, anyone would look good when all they have is crap opponents.
I agree.

jamze132
11-21-2007, 08:16 AM

You are...

OpIv37
11-21-2007, 08:34 AM
It really doesn't matter how this NE team would stack up to the great teams of the past because the past is the past.

Right now, NE really is that much better than everyone else in the league.

mybills
11-21-2007, 08:48 AM
because everyone else in the league is worse.

Mitchy moo
11-21-2007, 08:53 AM

that's where the Bills get their revenge.

OpIv37
11-21-2007, 09:21 AM
because everyone else in the league is worse.

it's an irrelevant distinction though.

The Patriots don't have to play the Cowboys of the mid 90's or the Bills of the early 90's or the 49ers of the late 80's or the 85 Bears.

They have to play 2007 teams, and they're much better than anyone else in 2007, regardless of it's because they're that good or if it's because everyone else is that bad.

THATHURMANATOR
11-21-2007, 11:03 AM
For example, Moss is great, but I'd take Jerry Rice over hiim any day, Brady's having a hell of a season, but I'd take Kelly, Marino, Elway, Montana, Young, are Favre in his MVP days over him under center in a second.
Brady is one of the greatest QBs of all time.

Mr. Pink
11-21-2007, 11:06 AM
So if you don't think NE is all that good then you must think we absolutely suck. I mean we just had our worst loss as a franchise handed to us in this game.

The Answer
11-21-2007, 11:10 AM

The Patriots will be the greatest sports dynasty of all time when it's all said and done - and the scary thing is they could be this good or better for at least 2-5 more years given the fact that some of the core players are in their prime or entering it (i.e. moss, welker, brady, seymor, wilfork, thomas, light, etc) Even more disgusting - they are getting a top 5 draft pick next year because of San Fran sucking so bad. Also let's not forget about The Hoodie either.....

~The Answer

mybills
11-21-2007, 12:16 PM
Brady is one of the greatest QBs of all time.
He is God. Complete, with immaculate children.

OpIv37
11-21-2007, 12:18 PM
He is God. Complete, with immaculate children.

the word you want is "illegitimate."

mybills
11-21-2007, 12:49 PM
the word you want is "illegitimate."
nope, their mom's names might not be Mary, but...

TheGhostofJimKelly
11-21-2007, 01:03 PM
This is one of those posts that are made to try to make yourself feel better. Who cares how good or how bad other teams are? The Patriots are the best team in the NFL hands down. They are good. They have a great offense, a very good defense, good special teams, great QB, great coach, etc. They had an off week and still beat the 2nd best team in the league in their building.

Some would say that the AFC was garbage in the years of 89-94 but does that take away how good the Bills were during those years? I think not.

HAMMER
11-21-2007, 03:04 PM
I can't believe that people continue to post this stuff. NE is that good, they are on pace to shatter records. They have been good for a very long time and will continue to be so. There are always a couple people that try to degrade the Pats whether it is preseason or when they are on a 10-0 run. If I had a nickel for every post in the last few years predicting their demise because;

-They lost their coordinators and Bellichick isn't that good.
-Brady has a weak arm
-Their LB's are old.
-They lost too many players in the offseason.
Give it a rest, the Pats are a dynasty, Tom Brady is one of, if not the best QB ever. We are facing an uphill battle in our division for the next few years at minimum.

Akhippo
11-21-2007, 03:48 PM
While it really doesnt matter at this point. I dont think they are the best of all time. Stat wise yes. But to start with six games against the AFC East and the rest of the weak league. I think the dynasty teams could easily give them a game and probably win. They will win alot and maybe anothe superbowl, but I dont have nearly as much regard for them as I do the 49ers or cowboys in their days. But it really doesnt matter.